Think of a game - Is it linked to any memories?

SotS

Cycling the Stress Away
I've played games for a long time. Since I was three to be exact. I'm sixteen now, soon to be seventeen. Needless to say, I was playing games through most of my childhood and, as such, have linked many memories to them. This isn't to say that games are the only things in my memories -- quite the opposite in fact, as they keep completely unrelated memories in my mind for much longer with something physical to link them to.

For example, Mario Party 4 makes me think of the 4th of July of 2000 and... 5? Okay so the dates a bit hazy. Anyways, it makes me think of going to a field to watch fireworks go off. We had hot Dogs and burgers, then had them the next day for breakfast. My brother and I's stomachs didn't quite agree with such a breakfast however, and we ended up feeling sick and queasy for the rest of the day. What we did for the rest of that day? Mostly played Mario Party 4.

Then with the same game, I remember something completely different. Our cousins had come over to visit like they did every other week (back then, it's nowhere near as often now). We played Mario Party 4 in our living room for a bit, then decided to spy on people. We thought we were being sneaky, but everyone in the room saw us as we (loudly) tip-toed through the hallway. That continued on for years, but we always thought we were unseen. :p

The last thing that I think of pretty often (which I will write in this first post, anyways -- there's waaaay too many) is Super Smash Bros Melee. It was my sixth birthday, and I had got a Gamecube. I was ecstatic -- this was the first console ever to actually belong to me! With it I got WaveRace Blue Storm, some Winter Olympic game, one or two cheap shovelware games, and... Smash Bros Melee.

As I opened up my many packs of the Ruby and Sapphire Pokemon TCG set in the kitchen, my soon to be brother-in-law hooked up the Gamecube in the living room. After opening the rest of my presents, (One notable gift being a wallet from my sister who said you had to be a "grown-up" to get one. Still have that wallet, and stopped using it only because she gave me a leather one last year. <3) I went to the living room since my dad said to try the system.

My brother-in-law was actually the first to play it as he tested everything. I still remember that he was on the first stage of Adventure mode. As a kid, I enjoyed watching people play games just as much as I enjoyed playing them myself, so watching him spend five minutes getting through it was no big deal. Anyways, once he beat that stage he went back to the menu, and I played it for, get this, a few minutes. It wasn't until a few weeks later whenever my sister played the game with me that I really enjoyed it. And oh man, I could easily exceed the character limit listing all of the memories I had playing Melee with her.

So yeah. Surely I can't be the only one whose past with games is linked to many different memories, so share yours here if you'd like. It doesn't have to be long, nor is there a limit. Just make sure that you don't wall of text if it is a long one, if you'd be so kind. Those are always impossible to read haha.

I'm not sure if this is what you're going for, but some games that tie into specific memories for me would be Spider-Man for the PS1 and Star Wars: Battlefront for the PS2. Spider-Man was the first video game I ever really got into. I wanted every boss beaten on the hardest difficulty, every suit unlocked, and every piece of concept art viewable. I remember spending endless hours fighting bosses like Doctor Octopus and Carnage on harder difficulties, even though I found out they weren't as tough as I remembered them to be when I played the game again a couple weeks ago. It was my first step into the world of competitive video gaming.

The other game, and probably the more important one, is Star Wars: Battlefront. The reason this one was so sentimental is because my Dad and I both adore this game. It was one of my first PS2 titles, and after my dad saw me playing it so often, it was only a matter of time before he started playing in a effort to beat me. My fondest memories as a kid were schooling my dad game after game, and he'd always make up some lame excuse as to why I beat him, such as "I hate this map" (even though he'd pick the map in the first place), "Empire has better soldiers than the Rebellion", and so on. We'd both love it though, and I can safely say Battlefront was another large step into competitive video gaming for me, especially for the shooter genre. My dad loves Call of Duty as well, go figure.

Metal Slug, a quite unknown game, holds memories for me. It was actually the first video game I ever played. I still remember how good I felt when I beat my cousin once (he was really a boss).
Warcraft III was the first 'hard' video game I played. But it's also connected with hours of LAN gaming with my cousins and brother. Ah, the good old days...
Finally, Monopoly. Man, I was so good at it. We used to play as a family, usually 'till late at night. Fabulous.

I hate all you happy people playing video games with your families I never had those memories so why do you it sucks and now I feel sad and lonely.

; ; *jealous rage*

I, um, had memories with Mario Kart Double Dash. Whenever I think about it, it reminds me of my old house, and dusting all the other neighbor kids. Also, oddly, the flavor of rice.

I rarely play games with family. I play TF2 with friends though.

I got some memories of a game. I had a game, a kid in neighborhood, without me knowing, stole it. He gave me the 4th one (That sucked bad). I had memories of fighting bosses, scenarios, etc.

The game was Megaman battle network 3 White. I now have it, and beat it.

Starboard Driger, my parents never really played games with us either. Be it video games, or board games. Many a promised board game night went by without a board game being played...

Mario Kart: Double Dash is connected to soooo many different memories. We played it for about five years at varying rates. When we first got it, me, my brother, and our sister all played it. Eventually though our sister lost interest in it. We two boys still played it, and finished everything 100%. Mirror Mode World Cup and everything. He always took backseat and let me drive, but mostly because he could aim items like nobody else. Every one of them hit it seemed.

Our sister played it with us again with a friend on her birthday one year and we got a bit cocky. Basically, we thought we were unstoppable and would win no matter what. So what did we do? Goofed around and drove sloppily. So the game punished us and gave her and her friend triple mushrooms and a star. We were devastated when we lost haha.

It also reminds me of lots of get togethers at our house. Cook-outs especially. It was such an accessible game that anyone could play it.

And Applebees. Not sure how that one's linked at all, but hey. Whatever.

ChillBill said:
Metal Slug, a quite unknown game, holds memories for me. It was actually the first video game I ever played. I still remember how good I felt when I beat my cousin once (he was really a boss).

I also played a lot of Metal Slug (along with Street Fighter II) back in the day, at a local arcade that was around when I was very young. I sucked, needless to say, but they were still fun games to play.

By far, I've had memories with playing a lot of games. Notably though, are Just Cause 2, Saint's Row 2 & 3, MW3, Aliens: Colonial Marines (seriously level 5? seriously?), Dead Space 3 with the double Ubers, MoH Rising Sun (beasting in Death in the Orient when I was nine), and a lot of memories playing infamous 1 & 2, and of course, Minecraft.

Some of my most notable gaming memories:

Sonic the Hedgehog 2: Never owned a Genesis, but I played this a lot at Day Care. One of the other kids at the game at home, so he would help the rest of us out and give us tips and such. I played this game so much there and got so good at it that it's practically muscle memory. I was playing this on Steam sometime last year and my fingers just automatically moved without me thinking about it. I beat the game almost effortlessly.

Sonic 3 and Sonic & Knuckles: Unlike 2, I never played this one on a traditional console, but we did get both games as computer CDs with a desktop bundle my parents bought when I was in the 8th grade. No day care friends to help me this time, I had to work hard to learn all the tricks to these games, and I remember a lot of says playing this with my sister, taking turns, playing over and over until we could get all the secrets and beat it all.

Lunar 2 Eternal Blue COMPLETE: The first real game I ever played on a console at home. I didn't own a PS, but my sister did, and I bought this game for myself to play on her console when she'd let me. It was my first real RPG and I just dived into it head first. I spent so much time on this game, exploring every nook and cranny, doing the whole main game and the epilogue and side quests, watching the "making-of" DVD that came with it, buying the strategy guide not because I needed help but because it came with beautiful artwork and stickers and all sorts of fun. Pretty much all the memories of my sister's room are while I'm playing this game.

My games are my memories. And they're all fantastic.

Back