OU: Strategy The X and Y Metagame Discussion Thread

RE: The X and Y Metagame Speculation Thread

PokemonShowdown and PokemonOnline both have betas for Gen 6... So time to play ^_^

Pride said:
PokemonShowdown and PokemonOnline both have betas for Gen 6... So time to play ^_^

How does that website work? Do i have to pay?

PokemonShadow is in-browser, so it doesn't require a download. You just go to: http://play.pokemonshowdown.com/ and build your team from there to play. PokemonOnline has to be downloaded but neither require any type of payment. Its just a battle simulator so anything that can be obtained ingame can be made easily without the time playing on the handheld would require.

Concerning UU again, do you think Clawitzer could become a threat? Since its Speed is terrible, it will be able to pretty much ignore Sticky Webs and its movepool and ability are quite threatening. I don't think it's OU material, but in UU it could be formidable.

Has anybody looked into weakness policy? I think it will be big this gen.

Basically you get +2 ATK and +2 Sp.A when hit by a super-effective move.

This can be used as a choice bluff, and can easily be run as a surprise set.

I see it mostly being used on bulky mons, and those wielding a sash with set-up moves.

Does anybody know what the new IVs are for HP Ice? I tried doing a test battle with a friend but we were both unable to hit each other's grass-type pokemon super effectively because we had HP Dragon. 9.9

Was it on Showdown?

If so, Showdown has IVs that are kinda messed up at the moment for Hidden Power. Choose HP Psychic on the teambuilder for HP Ice.

http://pokemonshowdown.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=2879 has more info.

HP Ice seems to be X/X/31/31/31/30 where X is either 30 or 31, assuming near flawless stats, ofc

Jay said:

I see it mostly being used on bulky mons, and those wielding a sash with set-up moves.

Wow, is it really +2 in both stats and not +1?

Seems like a cool thing to have on Substitute users, such as Gyarados. Not to mention a cruel tool for Baton Pass teams. P:

bacon said:
Jay said:

Seems like a cool thing to have on Substitute users, such as Gyarados. Not to mention a cruel tool for Baton Pass teams. P:

An item to be held by a Pokémon. Attack and Sp. Atk sharply increase if the holder is hit with a move it's weak to.
Seems that it is +2.

Anyone else think that Proatean Greninja has a chance of being Uber? It outspeeds basically everything (even Blaziken) and can OHKO anything that is weak to it thanks to STAB.

I do not think so. It's still very fragile, meaning it is weak to Mach Punch, probably takes A LOT of damage for Extreme Speed and even Bullet Punch or Shadow Sneak can deal enough damage if used by things such as Aegislash or Metagross. It's also basically doomed against any Scarfer with enough Speed, it can't have Choice sets, as it would ruin Protean's usefulness and its Special Attack isn't really that mighty.

ChillBill said:
I do not think so. It's still very fragile, meaning it is weak to Mach Punch, probably takes A LOT of damage for Extreme Speed and even Bullet Punch or Shadow Sneak can deal enough damage if used by things such as Aegislash or Metagross. It's also basically doomed against any Scarfer with enough Speed, it can't have Choice sets, as it would ruin Protean's usefulness and its Special Attack isn't really that mighty.

Can't help but agree with you there.
It's very viable, but not enough to dwell in the sanctuary that is the Ubers "tier".

bacon said:
Jay said:

@Jay: You can't have a sash and policy on the same mon. :p

@Bacon: Gyarados with SubDD looks pretty vicious with this. I think that any quad-weak Pokémon that can learn Sub and RP/Agility/Autotomize/etc, or things like Aegislash, will really benefit from this. SubRP Terrakion might be a thing now.

Terrakion @ Weakness Policy
Trait: Justified
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SDef / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature (+Spe, -Atk)
- Stone Edge
- Close Combat
- Substitute
- Rock Polish

~AoH

Are you guys sure it works on Substitute as I am pretty sure Anger Point doesn't work when you have a sub. If it doesn't work with a Substitute DNite will be a monster with this item.

Dragonite @ Weakness Policy
Trait: Multiscale
Adamant Nature (+Atk, -SAtk)
- Dragon Dance / Agility
- Outrage / Dragon Claw
- Earthquake
- Fire Punch / Extremespeed

Dragonite can take any super effective hit thanks to its ability and boost up with either DD or Agility. Dnite can also go mixed so it makes him unpredictable.

Shadow Scyther said:
Are you guys sure it works on Substitute as I am pretty sure Anger Point doesn't work when you have a sub. If it doesn't work with a Substitute DNite will be a monster with this item.

Dragonite @ Weakness Policy
Trait: Multiscale
Adamant Nature (+Atk, -SAtk)
- Dragon Dance / Agility
- Outrage / Dragon Claw
- Earthquake
- Fire Punch / Extremespeed

Dragonite can take any super effective hit thanks to its ability and boost up with either DD or Agility. Dnite can also go mixed so it makes him unpredictable.
Loloutrage. With so many fairies and the new mechanics for moves Like Outrage, Petal Dance, Etc. no dragon will likely use Outrage any more. If it misses or is blocked/disabled/hits an immunity, confusion instantly activates now. The only case anyone would risk using it is when it's a late game sweeper after all fairies have been removed from the opposition.

It's true that Outrage is no longer an option, being unaffected ruins it completely. I'd really like to see how this will affect the meta. Dragon Claw used to be the safe option, but it traded a lot of power, often not scoring an OHKO in cases where Outrage could do it. With Outrage out of the equation, there are many defensive/bulky Pokemon which will have the chance to work better now that it is certain they'll be able to tank at least one hit.

Am I the only one that is actually glad that dragon and fighting got the big nerf this gen? I feel that with Fairy-type now, Pokemon such as Salamence and Dragonite can't just rampage for the win. Now other Pokemon can get the spotlight. I'm also glad that Poison gets a buff just because it was only good against grass (which, by the way, often had a secondary typing that eliminated its weakness). With the grass mechanics, it seems that Celebi is now the perfect Breloom counter (wanting to see him go down). I'm just happy that the powerhouses of OU are finally meeting what other Pokemon that are over-looked have to face: checks and counters.

ChillBill said:
Concerning UU again, do you think Clawitzer could become a threat? Since its Speed is terrible, it will be able to pretty much ignore Sticky Webs and its movepool and ability are quite threatening. I don't think it's OU material, but in UU it could be formidable.

I used Clawitzer in-game and must say that it's a monster. Although it is outclassed by Blastoise in nearly every way, it does get to use an item and has a really threatening combo of Arceus' special attack, an amazing ability, and insane pseudo-STAB coverage moves. It even has U-turn and Aqua jet for momentum and priority, respectively (it has Sludge Bomb, too! Yes, fairies and dragons at the same time?!). Its bulk isn't terrible, either. While ~90 defenses aren't anything to write home about, Clawitzer will be able to take resisted hits and reply back with a smack in the face. I think that it's UU in my opinion. If only it was fast..
Edit: Though most Fairy-types don't have good defense.

In all honesty, I think that the Fairy type did manage to mess up the meta. Let's see:
Reasons for Fairy:
Dragons nerfed
Fighting nerfed
Steel offensive presence boosted
Poison offensive presence boosted

Problems:
Dark is now even more useless

Steel and Poison types are rare in higher tiers and there aren't many who can make it there anyway

Poison types will exist for the sole purpose of countering Fairies, since they are still very weak offensively

Steel types won't gain as much, because, while the can beat Fairies, they now face contest in the field of Dragon countering/killing

Fairies will manage to dominate the metagame by resisting and beating its most common types. E.g. think what Xerneas can do in a Dragon-packed uber metagame

Along with Fairies, certain Pokemon will rise to very high usage rates (Metagross and Scizor in OU, Dialga and Arceus-Steel in Ubers)

Unlike other cases of immunity, Dragons have close to nothing means of defeating a Fairy. The only really viable thing is Hidden Power, which is a no-go in Salamence, Garchomp, Kyurem-B and most Uber Dragons, and even in Specially-directioned Dragons it's not gonna be that good, especially since its nerf.

This is just my opinion; do consider it however.

Fairy types are also very weak on the physical defense side of things, so neutral powered Earthquakes, Stone Edge, etc. will still do some hefty damage to prep for a sweep later.

ChillBill said:
Steel and Poison types are rare in higher tiers and there aren't many who can make it there anyway

Not sure what you mean by this, Steel since its existence has been one of the most coveted types in OU, so much so that any Steel with merit is used. Just ask any UU player how many good Steel-types they've had access to over the years.

Back