OU: Strategy The X and Y Metagame Discussion Thread

RE: The X and Y Metagame Speculation Thread

Some more cool new moves:

Boomburst has 10 PP, 100 accuracy, and 140 fudging power. They nerfed the Overheat and Flamethrower variants but made this...I guess being Normal type and poor distribution is GF's way of balancing it

Electrify: 20 PP status move, If the target is electrified before it uses a move during that turn, the target's move becomes Electric type. This could be really great on Jolteon. A lightning fast Pokemon immune to Electric attacks that can turn its opponent's moves into Electric moves.

Moonblast is Fairy type thunderbolt, only not nerfed like tbolt and has a chance of reducing enemy special attack.

Nuzzle: essentially a twave that deals 20 base power Physical damage. 100 accuracy, 20 PP. Good for getting around Taunt, but probably only available on Pika clones because the flavor text says its nuzzling with electrically charged cheeks.

Petal Blizzard: 90 BP, 15 PP, 100 accuracy special Grass move that hits multiple targets.

Play Rough: 90 BP and accuracy, 10 pp Physical Fairy move that has a chance of lowering enemy Attack.

Powder: 20 PP, 100 accuracy Bug status move, The user covers the target in a powder that explodes and damages the target if it uses a Fire-type move.

Other things worthy of note:

Aura Sphere is now 80 base power. Because having only two Special Fighting moves wasn't bad enough, we have to nerf the accurate one with shit distribution in the same gen that a new type that molests Fighting types is introduced. Ice type is still shit

Ice Breath now has 60 base power so say hello to the new best Ice move.

Dragon pulse is 85 BP.

Energy Ball is 90 BP.

Heat Wave now is 95 BP.

As previously mentioned, Thunder variants are 110 power, overheat variants are 130, and ice beam variants are 90 bp.

Hidden Power is now always 60 power.

Pin Missile is now 25 BP.

Storm Throw is 60 base power.

Also I think you are underestimating Delphox, should that be its actual new ability. That gives it roughly 180-200 base SPD in addition to 95-120 SPA and 100-110 SPD. This thing might even get a wide special movepool with Aura Sphere, Tbolt, etc. It might not be OU with its mediocre physical bulk and weakness to ttar, but it's UU for sure.

unsheathed said:
There's a new entry hazard called Sticky Web, which lowers a Pokemon's speed upon switching in. Thoughts?

Does it hit all Pokemon? Also is there a type that can remove it (like a Poison type removing TSpikes)? It looks very powerful on the paper but we'll see.

In some battles I've played, it looked like Stealth Rock was nerfed a little. Seemed to do about 10-8% to my Binacle.

Water Sport seems much better. The effect carries on for 5 turns regardless if you switch or not. It *could* have been heavier than a 50% nerf to Fire attacks.

There is a Grass type field affect called... Flower Field? It gives Leftovers recovery to ALL Pokemon touching the ground for 5 turns. Dunno if it cancels other field effects upon use.

The Rock/Fairy has absurd def/sdef but not much else going for it. Oh but it has Spikes.

Mega Evolutions break the casual game because there is absolutely no drawback to using them, apart from not being able to hold another item.

Flower Fairy has crazy special bulk and access to Wish and Aromatherapy. I guess it's a mini Blissey that can hurt things, although mine only has Fairy Wind and Petal Blizzard at the moment.

Hawlucha's Flying Press has the best animation ever and seems to be dual Flying/Fighting.

I lied. Retaliate has the best animation ever.

Exp Share is ridiculous. All party members get 50% of the leading Pokemon's exp. You will be overleveled by the second gym without even trying.

Delphox has a terrifying cry. Not competitive related but I just had to mention that somewhere.

Huh. If Stealth Rock actually is nerfed...how much more playable does this make Bug, Flying, and Fire-types? That could give next gen's tiers some major shake-ups.

I shall test this on team flare asap. I just need to get SR/Roar Hippowdon/hippopotas on my team and force their Houndours in twice on rocks

Scratch that. already tested. Sent Emolga in on SR set up by a wild Carbink. Had a full 55 HP to begin with and ended up wit 42 HP (roughly a 23.63% loss). It seems to be slightly weaker, but not a total nerf. I shall test more with other pokemon and at higher levels/with more HP.

TPO3 already explained this stuff.

TPO3 said:
What level was the Kirlia at? If it's like 20-29, it's entirely possible that Kirlia doesn't have enough HP for it to take a full 12.5% damage. I see it in Little Cup games all the time on PS where flying-type mons switch into SR and it says -18%. If Kirlia only has 54 HP, it'll lose 6 HP to rocks which is only 11.1%, but it can't lose more because 7 HP is ~13%, and Pokemon generally rounds down. (hence Flying and Fire-types, especially ones using Volt Siwtch and U-turn, trying to get Odd-numbered HP)

Not sure if been brought up

Mega Mewtwo X stats at level 70 with a Bashful nature:
HP - 250
Attack - 292
Defense - 155
Sp. Attack - 235
Sp. Defense - 166
Speed - 196

I'm sure we'd all like to know the base stats, if anyone wants to calculate ;)

Anyone looked at Aurorus yet? This thing is gonna be pretty crazy for VGC. It's insanely bulky, can hit water/dragons for 6x damage with Freeze Dry, gets Avalanche, and is pretty bulky.

If Cloyster gets Water Shuriken it's going Ubers. That's like Extremekiller Arceus on steroids. And I see no reason why it wouldn't.

Protean seems insane on something as fast as Greninja.

Also Goodra gets Sap Sipper for an extra immunity on a non-rain team.

Outrage now causes confusion if interrupted (via Disable, 'hitting' a Fairy type, Protect, etc.) instead of simply resetting the move selection. It's going to be even riskier to use Outrage now than originally though since Fairies do more than just kill the move's usability.

I don't think Outrage will be used much now and will be opted out for a Fire attack. It's been reduced from 120 to 110, causes confusion when it misses, which is going to be pretty often I feel given many teams will include something with fairy-typing. It seems just too risky now.

And just how bulky is Aurorus?

Aurorus is respectably bulky, bur still has a ton of weaknesses. almost any fighting move will KO as well as most super effective moves at least coming close to a KO. From what I've seen (through level 55 or so, including after evo), it's level up moveset leaves something to be desired as most moves are ice or normal types (and the latter becomes ice typed when used).

Aurorus hopefully has some decent coverage options (I'm guessing Thunderbolt and HP Fire for now, hopefully Power Gem too), but it isn't too bad. It may have a lot of weaknesses, but being a Life Orb Tank could serve it well with the right support.

Now, looking over Greninja's known moves, it looks like a for-sure better version of Starmie. It's big advantages are base 120 Speed, the Dark typing that prevents spinblocking and being able to beat Tyranitar, and STAB Dark Pulse, among other things. Smogon lists its base stats as 80/90/75/100/75/120. That's better than Starmie in everything but SAtk, where there's a tie. The only thing it lacks is the coverage of Thunderbolt, but that is easily mitigated.

Greninja @ Life Orb
Ability: Torrent
EVs: 252 Spd / 252 SAtk / 4 Atk
Hasty Nature
- Dark Pulse
- Rapid Spin
- Hydro Pump
- Ice Beam

This is probably the best spinner set Greninja has. Not very much to say, as it's pretty predictable as to its structure. I really expect Greninja to take over Starmie's spot as the premier OU spinner.

~AoH

...is it just me, or are crits far less common in this game?

bacon said:
...is it just me, or are crits far less common in this game?

It's not just you. I'm six badges through and I have yet to get a critical. An opponent has critted me twice in a row, but that's it.

Have they really changed the percentage? :D

~AoH

They're definitely lower, or I'm just having terrible luck. Razor Leaf (Flabelle/Floette, Bulbasaur/Ivysaur) has only gotten critical two maybe three times and I've used it many times, and Slash (Pancham) hasn't at all so far..

You get crits by playing with your Pokemon in Pokemon Amie (as well as bonus evasion and a pseudo Focus Band). Also, the crit boost is now x1.5 instead of x2 from what I've been told.

Yeah, confirming the x1.5.

My Klefki was taking damage from a Meowstic despite being under a Substitute (Shadow Ball). I think Meowstic has Infiltrator?

My Hawlucha was hit by an Amoongus Toxic despite being in the air using Fly. Guess I found a bug. :p

AoH said:
Aurorus hopefully has some decent coverage options (I'm guessing Thunderbolt and HP Fire for now, hopefully Power Gem too), but it isn't too bad. It may have a lot of weaknesses, but being a Life Orb Tank could serve it well with the right support.

Now, looking over Greninja's known moves, it looks like a for-sure better version of Starmie. It's big advantages are base 120 Speed, the Dark typing that prevents spinblocking and being able to beat Tyranitar, and STAB Dark Pulse, among other things. Smogon lists its base stats as 80/90/75/100/75/120. That's better than Starmie in everything but SAtk, where there's a tie. The only thing it lacks is the coverage of Thunderbolt, but that is easily mitigated.

Greninja @ Life Orb
Ability: Torrent
EVs: 252 Spd / 252 SAtk / 4 Atk
Hasty Nature
- Dark Pulse
- Rapid Spin
- Hydro Pump
- Ice Beam

This is probably the best spinner set Greninja has. Not very much to say, as it's pretty predictable as to its structure. I really expect Greninja to take over Starmie's spot as the premier OU spinner.

~AoH

I must be missing something, why would you ever run Hasty over Timid? Unless Rapid Spin has like 100 bp now.

Pride said:
I must be missing something, why would you ever run Hasty over Timid? Unless Rapid Spin has like 100 bp now.

Eh, it's just because Greninja has some decent attack power, unlike Starmie. It was wishful thinking on my part, sorry. Just slap Timid on that set and move the 4 EVs to SDef then.

~AoH

Protean Greninja ladies and gentlemen. After some testing, Protean has been shown to change a Pokemon's type to the type of the move used before it hits. You effectively gain STAB on every move you use. This makes for some crazy versatility. Your opponent sends in a Fighting type or a strong EQ user to KO your Water/Dark ninja frog? Use Acrobatics and become a mono-flying type and hit them with STAB. Not sure if this is priority or literally just before the move hits, but with Greninja's Speed it might as well be priority.

Back