OU: Strategy The X and Y Metagame Discussion Thread

RE: The X and Y Metagame Speculation Thread

Absol is also sexy. No hazards, no burn from WoW, no status moves at all, no Taunt to prevent Swords Dance, no phazing, and no Leech Seed. It also apparently gets even higher Attack (dear lord) and Speed, which is just what the normal Absol needed to be more effective than it was. It doesn't get the supportive movepool that Xatu and Espeon were able make a living off of, however the use of it as an offensive ability to aid in sweeping certainly shouldn't be overlooked.

Astra said:
>As predicted the Mega Pokemon appear in battles only.
>In order to Mega Evolve the eligible Pokemon needs to be holding the Mega Stone.

So the last big question left is "do they transform at the start of battle?" or do you need to use the -ite item to make them evolve IN ADDITION to the Mega Stone.

If it's the second one then none of these guys are going to be used competitively.

It sounds like the -ite IS the Mega Stone from the way its phrased on the PB main page.

"Only certain Pokemon, under certain conditions, can achieve Mega Evolution. One of those conditions is a special item called a Mega Stone. These special stones exist for every Pokemon that can Mega Evolve, and each is named for the Pokemon to which it grants power."

Of course, there seems to be other conditions. Maybe something like hp must be at a certain amount or you must have a certain number of mons remaining, seeing as how it said Mega Evolutions can turn a battle around. That's probably just to hype it up though.

TPO3 said:
Who cares about Lucario? They gave Mawile HUGE POWER. On Azumaril sure. It has like base 50 attack. Mawile has base 85, which means unboosted it reaches 590. With Iron Head, Elemental Punches, Sucker Punch, and SWORDS DANCE. (+2 Mawile has higher attack than +4 Heracross.) Can you imagine passing agility and then spamming 590 attack Iron Heads?

I quit pokemon

Now, imagine this with the increased stats that they're getting. I'm betting higher Atk and Def for Mawile.

Gonna go cry now.

------------------------------

Mega Absol looks like a real threat imo. I'm picturing 150 Base Atk with 100 Base Spe, and combined with its movepool, ability and such, well... I'm happy. The artwork for it is awesome too.

Mega Blaziken will likely be an Uber like its regular form.

Mega Lucario is cool-looking, and it could do a nice job firing off Bullet/Mach Punches (Adaptability boost makes it look like a more versatile Scizor). Do not overlook this monster.

Of course, we'll have to wait for the rest of the info. Very promising indeed, but *repeat the last sentence here*.

~AoH

So the last big question left is "do they transform at the start of battle?" or do you need to use the -ite item to make them evolve IN ADDITION to the Mega Stone.

If it's the second one then none of these guys are going to be used competitively.

It should also be noted that if the transformations dont occur at the start of the battle or the pokemon comes out in its base form THEN tranforms, its susceptible to entry hazards (Absol)

That thought alone kind of makes the possibility of a Fire/Dragon Charizard less appealing if it only transforms after SR damage.

Cosmo said:

It should also be noted that if the transformations dont occur at the start of the battle or the pokemon comes out in its base form THEN tranforms, its susceptible to entry hazards (Absol)

Well, Absol is going to take hazard damage regardless if they're up. It has Magic Bounce, not Magic Guard.

unsheathed said:
I don't care if Ampharos is UU or lower; Volt Switch + Draco Meteor + Thunder sounds like an amazing combination when you consider the regular forme already has 115 SpAtk.
Unless they change how you get Draco Meteor, Ampharos's new forme won't be able to get Draco Meteor since the forme difference, and thus the typing, is available only in battle.

>Mega Kangaskhan
>Ability lets it hit twice in one turn

Oh wowzers I like this potential. Will make life much harder for Substitute users.

Astra said:
Unless they change how you get Draco Meteor, Ampharos's new forme won't be able to get Draco Meteor since the forme difference, and thus the typing, is available only in battle.
As I understand it, the mega items probably won't be locked into affecting gen 6 caught pokemon only. We should be able to transfer gen 5 or lower pokemon up and still trigger the Mega Evo status (if they don't, fans will be really mad). Draco Meteor shouldn't be a problem for 'Megampharos'.

Never mind I was thinking of another mon this question came up about, but in regard to prior-gen-only moves. Carry on.

In any case, this doesn't rule out the posibility of a Giratina-O or Arceus Plate stype change (as far as I can tell. Not much supports this possibility in any case)

What? That doesn't make any sense. The reason Ampharos-E wouldn't be able to get Draco Meteor is because in previous games Draco Meteor is taught only to Dragon-type Pokemon, and based on what we know of Mega Evolution Ampharos would never be in its Mega form (and therefore a Dragon) when you would talk to a Draco Meteor tutor (assuming that there is one in X&Y).

Now Mawile has increased Defense and Special Defense.

So we've got that AND Huge Power.

Not to mention the second typing doesn't change any defensive weaknesses, while gaining an immunity to Dragon. All it wants is a nice Fairy STAB to go along with it.

And according to Pokemon.com, the transformations take place midbattle, because Ampharos changing types "turns the tides on your opponent".

Going off what Pokemon.com says, I assume that Mega Evolutions will happen like Darmanitan's Zen Mode ability, where it only activates after you're down to 50% HP. In that case, Mega Evolutions are useless and not worth the hassle. I guess this is the balance in the system to make up for insane boosts, but instead it kind of ruins the concept competitively.

What a waste of an idea. They could've easily just gave a few of them new standard evolutions instead, like Mawile and Absol. Instead we get a mechanic that will only be fun ingame or with gimmick substitute sets.

Yeah, making it 50% or under means that for the most part, the only mons with Mega Evolutions that will be great will be the ones that were already pretty good (like Lucario).

The sad part is that the two Mega Evolutions that are already good, Lucario and Blaziken, can't take hits very well. You can't play around with taking hits to activate the Evolution when even neutral hits can take you out.

Dark Void said:
Yeah, making it 50% or under means that for the most part, the only mons with Mega Evolutions that will be great will be the ones that were already pretty good (like Lucario).

I seriously doubt they'll be like Zen Mode. One or two might, but there'd be no point in giving Mega Absol Magic Bounce if it activated at 50% HP. By that point you'd already have status and/or stat drops. and you certainly wouldn't be leaving Absol in in hopes that your foe is dumb enough to send in a spiker/rocker/etc. after the Megavolution occurs. I could see it for boostiken though. After already being OP enough to be the first starter shoved into ubers, a transformation after taking heavy damage would make it a little harder to stop (similar to the effect if it could have both Blaze and Speed Boost at the same time, if not a defensive boost)

2ynjpde.png

... this is either unnecessary hype (omg absl so fst it rap wit nite slsh) or the return of gen 1's terrible crit mechanics.

5q53.gif

I mentioned to a friend before that some things in X/Y remind me of Mega Man Star Force 3, and I think using it as reference for these Mega Evolutions (no pun intended ) is a good idea for how I think it might work, this is just theory though.

In Star Force 3, your Noise changes/transformations are activated as you spend turns hitting and building up attacks. There is a percentage meter that builds up as the battle goes on. If you are dealing damage - the meter rises.

As you deal no damage or are suddenly stopped from doing attacks, the meter will go down.
Causing the transformation to break until it's momentum can be built again.

This could possibly be a nice thought to how Mega Evolutions work because when you think about it - they can be powerful yes, but if they spend a turn trying to build up, or become paralyzed, etc. Their momentum could lower and their mega evolution will break.

unsheathed said:
2ynjpde.png

... this is either unnecessary hype (omg absl so fst it rap wit nite slsh) or the return of gen 1's terrible crit mechanics.

5q53.gif

It's probably not, but...

5q53.gif
5q53.gif
5q53.gif
5q53.gif
5q53.gif
5q53.gif
5q53.gif
5q53.gif

unsheathed said:
2ynjpde.png

5q53.gif
I think it is over-hype. What it gains in speed, it practically loses with the loss of Super Luck's crit boost. I doubt that GF will break crit mechanics again, though I can't say they're incapable of breaking competitive play in other ways.

If they do bring back the awful crit mechanics, I'll have had it. You don't think we already have enough salt in our wounds (and mouths) with the 6.25% chance? I don't want this again.

In contradiction of you two, *maximum under-rustle here*. This better be needless hype.

As far as ways to break competitive play, GF surprises us every time. Here's looking at you, eternal weather. Parting Shot looks like the most overpowered thing so far.

~AoH

> get event Speed Boost Torchic
> reset for female
> breed for Baton Pass
> ???
> profit!

Speed Boost Blaziken with Baton Pass is now possible. Early Gen 6 is going to be pretty crazy until suspect testing kicks up again.

Back