OU: Strategy The X and Y Metagame Discussion Thread

RE: The X and Y Metagame Speculation Thread

unsheathed said:
> get event Speed Boost Torchic
> reset for female
> breed for Baton Pass
> ???
> profit!

Speed Boost Blaziken with Baton Pass is now possible. Early Gen 6 is going to be pretty crazy until suspect testing kicks up again.
inb4 GF pulls another one and it can't be female (the one in the preview was male, but that doesn't mean anything for sure). If that's the case, then we'll just need to breed a regular Baton Pass Torchic in gen 3/4/5 then trade it forward and use it as Mega Blaziken, since the ability will change under mega evolution, as I understand it. Also, I'm not entirely sure it's going to be a Speed Boost Torchic in the first place. The only thing they really played up was that it was holding Blazikenite, which wouldn't be available through normal play.

They clearly said its ability is going to be Speed Boost.

Not like any of this matters honestly. Baton Pass just makes Blaziken even more Uber. It can now pass off a +2 Attack +something Speed to anything else on the team once its lifespan is up. You can also use it to play around with your "counters". Get +1 Speed +2 Attack, they switch to Slowbro, and you Baton Pass out to something that can take Slowbro's hits while keeping the sweep going.

unsheathed said:

Not like any of this matters honestly. Baton Pass just makes Blaziken even more Uber. It can now pass off a +2 Attack +something Speed to anything else on the team once its lifespan is up. You can also use it to play around with your "counters". Get +1 Speed +2 Attack, they switch to Slowbro, and you Baton Pass out to something that can take Slowbro's hits while keeping the sweep going.
I heard that Mega Blaziken's ability was speed boost, implying prior ability on 'regluar' Blaziken doesn't matter (this makes sense for pokemon like Absol, who clearly wont have Magic Bounce outside Mega form). In any case, I didn't see anything confirming or denying that the torchic will be able to be female, regardless of what ability the event mon has. I'll check again since I could be wrong or could have overlooked something. Ubers Baton Pass could become a viable strategy though. Blaziken -> (Smeargle? (for spore and/or special attack boost) ->) Dialga/Palkia/Kyogre/[insert clearly OP sweeper with amazing coverage here].

Just to restate this in hopes it will be more clear: I am NOT debating what ability the event Torchic will have. I am only saying that I'm bracing myself in case they troll us again (as they have many times in the past) and release another male-only Speed Boost Torchic IF the event isn't just a Blaze Torchic, in which case, gender wouldn't matter. The preview in the video only showed was a male Torchic knowng normal level up moves (no event-only moves) and holding the item Blazikenite. It made no indication to what ability it had or whether or not it would be gender locked (though I suspect the gen 5 DW torchic was gender locked primarily due to Entree mechanics, since the way that system worked was to send the gender in advance and omit any results the RNG generated with another gender)

Shadow Scyther said:

So, all of the Pokémon listed here could be Megas? Latias and Latios have me excited.

Mega Tyranitar... Still trying to picture this one. Same with Mega Aggron.

On the Torchic business, that could make early Gen 6 as hectic as early Gen 5 (did I just go there?). Blaziken will still be Uber not far into the generation, but for the time being, it sounds like a wreck-in-the-making. Imagine Ninjask with staying power and actual attack. ._.

~AoH

AoH said:
Shadow Scyther said:
Imagine Ninjask with staying power and actual attack. ._.
You never played DW Ubers (aka: No-Preview Ubers), did you... Baton Pass Blaziken isn't too hard to stop since it has to give something else up to make room for the move (dat 4-move syndrome). It usually nixes Protect or High Jump Kick which means Heatran or anything Fire resistant can wall it and stuff like DDquaza can kill it.

One thing I've come to notice, is Parabolic charge is going to be a fairly good and welcome change to the metagame. Seeing as it now gives Ampharos and most other Electric Pokemon, most notably Rotom-W, a good and effective form of recovery. Plus, since Electric is a decently good typing offensively, it can work fairly well to spam if it needs to be, seeing as only 4 types resist it, Ground, Grass, Dragon, and itself. Just imagine Galvantula, Eelektross, Amphy, and Rotom spamming Parabolic Charge and FINALLY getting STAB recovery.
Sounds glorious. :')

However, I really want to see how the whole Mega Evolution will be implimented into the mix. That's bound to throw battles for a HUGE curve.

I would never run Parabolic Charge on Rotom-W. It cramps up the movepool when you already have a far more supportive and momentum-grabbing move in Volt Switch. You also have Pain Split, which nets more recovery than Parabolic Charge will on a regular basis. I'd only consider running it on something like Zapdos or Lanturn, though the latter is a sexy pivot with Volt Turn. Any other good Electric-type is either not that bulky (Raikou, Thundurus), or appreciates the offensive abilities Volt Switch offers more (see: every Electric-type).

I guess it's a cute move, but it was given to a type that has a more offensive approach. The reason Giga Drain is so good on Grass-types is because it's a good defensive type and they don't have any better options for STAB. Electric-types are the opposite most of the time; they usually have frail / modest defenses and amazing STAB options (Thunder, Thunderbolt, Volt Switch).

unsheathed said:
I would never run Parabolic Charge on Rotom-W. It cramps up the movepool when you already have a far more supportive and momentum-grabbing move in Volt Switch. You also have Pain Split, which nets more recovery than Parabolic Charge will on a regular basis. I'd only consider running it on something like Zapdos or Lanturn, though the latter is a sexy pivot with Volt Turn. Any other good Electric-type is either not that bulky (Raikou, Thundurus), or appreciates the offensive abilities Volt Switch offers more (see: every Electric-type).

I guess it's a cute move, but it was given to a type that has a more offensive approach. The reason Giga Drain is so good on Grass-types is because they are bulky as hell and don't have any better options for STAB. Electric-types are the opposite most of the time; they usually have frail / modest and amazing STAB options (Thunder, Thunderbolt, Volt Switch).

I must agree, as far as Rotom, it doesn't really fit him well at all. However, I, amongst my peers, am known for extremely uncommon and surprisingly well thought out move sets, I'm not one for your typical Standard set. This was more of an aim towards Ampharos since I use him in a more bulky manor. Cotton guard and Max Sp Def. Seeing as prior to Parabolic Charge, he had no real form of recovery. And even after a cotton guard, as long as it didn't crit me, a SE Earthquake would still knock me down a bit. So, a form of recovery outside of Rest is well appreciated.
But seeing as he will now have the secondary Dragon typing. I'll prefer my strong hits to come from that side. Because he will need some form of recovery.

So in short, I suppose I should say, for bulky support Electric type pokemon, (Heh, all five of them), Parabolic charge will definitely be something I personally will look forward to.

I think pokemon with moves that remove the opponents item are going to be a big counter to megas. Especially pokemon who can work the combo of having an ability to identify the opponent's item and then a move to remove it. Idk if there's an ability that does both in one but that would be very sought out for as well.

Ohman177 said:
I think pokemon with moves that remove the opponents item are going to be a big counter to megas. Especially pokemon who can work the combo of having an ability to identify the opponent's item and then a move to remove it. Idk if there's an ability that does both in one but that would be very sought out for as well.

The thing is, we don't know if the Mega Evo has to continue to hold its Mega Stone. If not, Trick, Thief and the like won't be doing much of anything.

Mega Stones will probably work like Griseous Orb, Multitype, and the Drives, where item stealing moves are blocked to prevent a forme change. Hell, Mega Pokemon might not even need their stones anymore after they change.

(btw, p sure mega pokemon require you to get your ass kicked before they activate, or at least that's what pokemon is hinting at. i don't know, i just think mega pokemon are going to be a bad "help me obi-wan, you're my only hope" gimmick with the way they make it sound.)

iSharingan said:
You never played DW Ubers (aka: No-Preview Ubers), did you... Baton Pass Blaziken isn't too hard to stop since it has to give something else up to make room for the move (dat 4-move syndrome). It usually nixes Protect or High Jump Kick which means Heatran or anything Fire resistant can wall it and stuff like DDquaza can kill it.

No, I never did (OU is the only tier I've ever played in lol). I guess Blaziken would suffer a bit from this. It makes sense to me because Ninjask having just X-Scissor locks up its other moveslots.

So, BP Blaziken... if it ever was brought down to OU again, would a Blaziken with one attacking move do well or just be a better Ninjask?

It would also be funny if the Mega Evolutions were the "Yuma comeback" versions of each Pokémon, like unsheathed said. Given my YuGiOh addiction, I'd be yelling/typing that every time. :p

~AoH

unsheathed said:

Because the Torchic they are handing it out with has Speed Boost...

Blazikens hidden ability kinda pointless if it gets Speed boost with Megaevolution regardless of being the hidden-ability one or not.

Regular Blaziken->Mega: gets Blaze replaced by something new that's not Speed Boost (since none of the rest keep their previous abilities)

Mitja said:
unsheathed said:

Because the Torchic they are handing it out with has Speed Boost...

Blazikens hidden ability kinda pointless if it gets Speed boost with Megaevolution regardless of being the hidden-ability one or not.

Regular Blaziken->Mega: gets Blaze replaced by something new that's not Speed Boost (since none of the rest keep their previous abilities)

Haha, what?

US Name: Mega Blaziken
Jp. Name: MegaBashamo

Type: Fire/Fighting
Classification: Blaze Pokémon
Height: 1.9m
Weight: 52.0kg
Ability: Speed Boost

unsheathed said:
2ynjpde.png

... this is either unnecessary hype (omg absl so fst it rap wit nite slsh) or the return of gen 1's terrible crit mechanics.

5q53.gif
I've pretty sure what it's saying is that Night Slash is more potent because Megabsol is faster. The part about it having a high crit ratio is there to describe the move itself, not hinting at going back to the old mechanics.

... so apparently you activate mega evolutions with a simple button.

I mean, that's cool and all, but it makes Mega Abso less appealing now.

They basically confirmed Fennekin is going to be a Psychic type, it knows Psybeam.

unsheathed said:
... so apparently you activate mega evolutions with a simple button.

I mean, that's cool and all, but it makes Mega Abso less appealing now.

Where did you find this out?

Neil said:
They basically confirmed Fennekin is going to be a Psychic type, it knows Psybeam.
Typhlosion can learn Extrasensory. What's your point?

I know what the leak said, but I don't think a single move like that confirms it, whether or not the source is as reliable as this leak has been so far.

Back