OU: Strategy The X and Y Metagame Discussion Thread

RE: The X and Y Metagame Speculation Thread

Pineapple X said:
I also hope we get the chance to catch old legendaries we haven't had access to for a while. For example, Mew, Jirachi and Celebi.

There's a reason that Mew, Jirachi and Celebi (also Manaphy, Shaymin) haven't been available recently and are not able to be caught: they have always been event-only Pokemon, as opposed to legendaries such as Reshiram and Zekrom who are in every copy of Black/White (2).

Dark Void said:
There's a reason that Mew, Jirachi and Celebi (also Manaphy, Shaymin) haven't been available recently and are not able to be caught: they have always been event-only Pokemon, as opposed to legendaries such as Reshiram and Zekrom who are in every copy of Black/White (2).

Yeah, I know that they're only accessible through events, but I would just want to have a chance to actually catch them without events, like normally in-game. :D

We finally get the highly coveted Ghost / Steel-type that MIGHT have Levitate. Does anyone have thoughts, opinions, and hopes on Honedge and possibly its evolution?

Honedge is the most promising of the new Pokémon imo. If it has Levitate, then Fire is its only weakness. I'm praying for decent base stats and a great signature move, or else this will be the biggest failure since the Perfect Polly Pet (for lack of better failures recently). At least we finally get the first Ghost/Steel type this time.

The expectation from me is amazing Attack, decent Defense or Special Defense, and so-so other stats.

~AoH

I got conflicting thoughts about the defensive stats of Honedge. It is a Steel-type Pokémon with a sheath, which led me to think it has a high defense. On the other hand, giving it a high defense can conflict with the image of swords being weapons for attacking, and not for defending.

It could be a spiritual sword of sorts (stating the obvious), making it possibly resistant to special attacks. I guess that's reason for higher SDef. *shrug*

~AoH

Drohn said:
I got conflicting thoughts about the defensive stats of Honedge. It is a Steel-type Pokémon with a sheath, which led me to think it has a high defense. On the other hand, giving it a high defense can conflict with the image of swords being weapons for attacking, and not for defending.
You can have both. Swords can be used for blocking, you know.

^The technical term is "parrying," I believe.

I wonder if Honedge is transparent or anything like that. High defense could be true as well if it is.

AoH

Cinesra said:
They all seem about right, but I'm sure TalonflamePyrogrene will be super fast. The official x and y page, among other things, stresses Pyrogrene's speed. Personally, I see it having something like Staraptor's stat spread, but with its Attack and Speed stats being switched.

Pyrogrene? Do you mean Pyrogrine? If a Peregrine falcon is what you're referring to, I think -grine is better.

Pyrogrine is a really kick ass name, Talonflame doesn't flow very well. Anyway, I can see it being a revenge killer or a sweeper in the low tiers, but the SR weakness really cripples it. At least something like Volcarona intends to stay in and set up Quiver Dance and sweep, but something that will be coming in and out often definitely doesn't want to be weak to SR. Of course, it could get Moxie and boost its Speed with Flame Charge (it would be kinda similar to Speed Boost Blaziken, but not quite as powerful). If that happened, it would be a set up sweeper and thus would ideally only need to switch in once. Regardless though, the SR weakness still stinks.

As for other Pokemon:

Personally I hope Litleo becomes a badass manticore Fire/Poison mon. Dat double Ground weakness and SR weakness is pretty bad, so I hope it will have amazing speed and (hopefully) special attack, although being a manticore, it will most likely be physical. Cross Poison, Fire Fang of course, maybe Flare Blitz, the Poison Point/Touch ability, and hopefully there are some better physical moves for both Fire and Poison, otherwise Litleo is kind of screwed. I can see him being a threat, but most likely only in the lower tiers (it could possibly check Heracross in UU if he switches in on a Megahorn).

I'm assuming that as far as OU is concerned, Noivern and Gogoat probably won't see play. They both look like the kind of Pokemon that won't evolve, so they might be in the same kinda of tier as say, Druddigon? I can't say for sure. Sylveon might actually see play in OU, but its a bit of a stretch. In fact, the Fairy type in general could make some Pokemon viable, whether being Fairy or learning Fairy-type moves. Hopefully Pancham's final evo will be a more tanky/wall Pokemon rather than an offensive one, but from the looks of his design that probably won't be the case. Pandas tend to be pretty big and bulky, so I don't really see any other way it could go other than a slow, but really strong attacker. No way to know until it is revealed with some details though. Helioptile, if it gets an evolution (it probably will), might see some play, but it will probably be incredibly fragile. Maybe it could be a special wall? I hope Inkay and Malimar are real, and I hope they are good.

Honedge probably won't live up to our hopes.

I can't really comment on the starters, but a good Water/Fighting type will probably find a niche somewhere.

Honedge has the ability No Guard.

All (except like two or something) Ghost-types get Will-o-Wisp.

Conclusion: Honedge doesn't get screwed by bullcrap 75% accuracy.

Enjoy. ^_^

^Yum. :)

With that said, I'm going to look for Machamp-esque stats, some a bit lower. No Guard looks to make Honedge a very high attacker.

~AoH

Shadow Scyther said:
No guard Guillotine anyone?
Hasn't that always been on Pokémon with pincers or jaws? Well, besides Bisharp and Haxorus I guess. Not likely.

~AoH

That doesn't matter to this discussion anyways since OHKO moves are banned via the OHKO clause.

Omg breadfat is making a post.

No Guard + OHKO moves can still be avoided assuming both Pokemon are equal in level. Although is doesn't pertain to singles, it can pertain to VGC as there is no OHKO clause. The strategy generally doesn't work too well, though.

Anyways, I'm really hoping they don't introduce dual-typed attacks. The first problem would be the calculations. Would you make it do x0 if the defending Pokemon was immune to either of those types? Or would it be averaged? Which do you do first? Would you apply each type to both types of the defending Pokemon if they have two types? If so, would you average those? It would probably result in everyone having to use a damage calculator depending on how they do the math and how complex it gets. Secondly, it would be a huge problem if you were able (again, depending on the math) to use a move that's x8 effective. It would completely shift the meta in what I think would be a negative way, especially if they introduced dual-type moves with superior coverage (I.E. Electric/Ice). Even if it were just x4, introducing moves like those that could give some Pokemon perfect coverage would also lead to a decrease in stall, imo. The meta would probably shift to an offensive meta with not much variety, not that there's a lot now, but Pokemon who already have a hard time with certain weaknesses would fade away.

On the topic of fairies, I think it's going to be a great addition to the meta in some ways, maybe not so great in others. I think it's good there's an immunity to dragons. It's also going to make some Pokemon (hopefully Gardevoir) viable. However, this is also going to increase Scizor's already large popularity. BP hitting for SE against fairies is going to make him even stronger. I also do like how they chose poison as a weakness since it's a less popular type, instead of picking something like ice/electric/ground/some other strong type.

The Worst Possible Thing

Many people talk about their hopes for 6th generation competitive play, but it's not often that we dare speak of our greatest fears. Hence thread. What single thing do you think GF could realistically introduce that would totally bone the metagame?

I'll start.

Fire Type entry hazards would be a disaster. Grass and Steel types would be utterly crippled, opening the floodgates for Dragon and Water spam. Dragon and Water would also resist the hazard, another significant advantage. If you thought Stealth Rock was bad, you haven't seen anything yet.

Boobies

RE: The Worst Possible Thing

bacon said:

I agree; this would be a terrible thing. Not only would they be incredibly distracting, but they'd be quite resistant to any sort of damage, but not so much physical.
wait did I just describe Blissey

One thing I'm afraid of is them making rain even worse. Although Dragons did need a bit of a power check, so did rain, and Game Freak's idea of fixing a problem is to add a new one (the Fairy-type) instead of nerfing the power of the old one. A lot of Pokemon do amazingly well in the rain, enough so to make the other weather conditions, especially hail, pale in comparison. I don't want them giving rain any new toys in Gen 6. I'd rather them not give sand any toys since they have a few already, but the others do need more abilities, or at least a wider distribution of those abilities that already exist.

I'm also concerned that they will not add very many Poison and Steel moves. Fairy is allegedly weak to both of those, but Poison has not been ever used as an offensive type up until now, with very few exceptions like my Poison Gem Sludge Wave Gengar I use in VGC. But that's more of a thing I want them to add than something I don't want them to add.

...wow this is topic #115000 that's awesome

RE: The Worst Possible Thing

Fog weather. Dear god NO JUST NO I REMEMBER YOU GIRATINA. I think probably another thing is adding on more Power creep, remember playing Stall? Neither do I...

I'm not sure it can get much worse. If weather becomes significantly better then it would be banned or nerfed through bans. If it gets significantly worse then it would be balanced. I'd like to have the trust in Smogon that anything much worse than what's going on now would get banned quickly.

So...my worst fear is that Gen VI will be another Gen V, I guess?

Here I'm hoping Air Lock gets distributed to a handful of exceptional new pokemon this gen, I'm talking 510-560 BST and some decent typing.

It would sure put a damper on weather teams.

Back