OU: Strategy The X and Y Metagame Discussion Thread

RE: The X and Y Metagame Speculation Thread

+2 Swords Dance against Lati

4 HP / 0 Def Latias: 270-318 (89.4 - 105.29%) -- 37.5% chance to OHKO
252 HP / 0 Def Latias: 270-318 (74.17 - 87.36%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
4 HP / 0 Def Latios: 297-351 (98.34 - 116.22%) -- 87.5% chance to OHKO

So just a little damage and the lati twins can't switch in after swords dance. Now these calcs are actually weaker then normal blaziken but in exchange it gains extra speed, and life orb recoil which are great tradeoffs imo.

No idea how viable it is, but would +2 spe Adamant Blaziken still outspeed Scarf Latios?

Because if it does, then it would actually be stronger than vanilla Blaziken.

Also with regards to the bulk, 80/80/80 is identical to MoxieMence, but without the stealth rock weakness. Like its not ferrothorn standards but it won't die to neutral hits.

Yes +2 Adamant would outspeed up to base 135 with a choice scarf, so it might be viable.

Also Salamence has 95/80/80 defenses so it is better. It is as bulky as Flygon though, which isn't bad but certainly average.

Astra said:
No idea how viable it is, but would +2 spe Adamant Blaziken still outspeed Scarf Latios?

Because if it does, then it would actually be stronger than vanilla Blaziken.

Also with regards to the bulk, 80/80/80 is identical to MoxieMence, but without the stealth rock weakness. Like its not ferrothorn standards but it won't die to neutral hits.

Yes, Speed Boost Blaziken always ran Adamant in BW1. Before, +2 Adamant Blaziken could not outrun Scarf Latios. Now, +2 Adamant Blaziken outruns Scarf Latios, as well as Scarf Timid Rotom-W by one point at +1.

Jolly normal Blaziken is just bad. Worse than Naive Rock Polish Landorus-I if you ask me.

Might as well bring up something on my mind.

Although it won't be a factor in higher tiers, Clefable is a cool Pokemon that has been retconned to pure Fairy-type. Now it has an actual set of resistances, a better immunity than Ghost (although Dragons are rarer in lower tiers), and a boosted Sp. Atk from 85 to 95. Old tricks like the support, Calm Mind, and wallbreaker sets are suddenly made better simply due to the change of typing. It's even completely different now that it can handle Fighting-types instead of being pulverized by them. It has respectable bulk for a lower tier Pokemon, a great ability in Magic Guard, and one of the widest offensive and supportive movepools out there. Perhaps a return to UU or stronger run in RU is possible for the original Magic Guard user?

Just a look at what it has going for it:

Stats: 95 HP / 70 Atk / 73 Def / 95 SAtk / 90 SDef / 60 Spe
Type: Fairy-type
Abilities: Cute Charm / Magic Guard / Unaware
Useful moves (minus stuff like Protect and Toxic): Wish, Softboiled, Seismic Toss, Heal Bell, Stealth Rock, Encore, Grass Knot, Flamethrower, Fire Blast, Calm Mind, Thunderbolt, Ice Beam, Focus Blast, Reflect, Light Screen, Shadow Ball, Thunder Wave, Healing Wish, Moonblast

Smogon has posted their official banlists. It's a radically different banlist from BW2 OU, with the only additions being Xerneas and Yveltal. The following Pokemon have been freed from Ubers. Pokemon marked with a * are available before PokeBank comes out in December.

- Blaziken*
- Deoxys-N
- Deoxys-D
- Deoxys-S
- Excadrill*
- Tornadus-T
- Thundurus
- Landorus
- Genesect
- Manaphy

Oh my, looks like Deoxys-A didn't make the cut :p.
So, the above are not Ubers any more. For most of them, it's the right move, and it's obvious that the weather nerf played its role. But Genesect, Deoxys-N and Deoxys-S... I don't get these ones. Deoxys-N can function just like Deoxys-A does for Ubers, since its offenses are 150/150 compared to 180/180, but it will also have to face Pokemon without the monstrous HP of Ubers or the defense that some of them pack. Deoxys-S is the best hazard setter and also has access to Taunt, coupled with the highest Speed in the game. And Genesect... well, it's Genesect. Don't wanna see what that damn Scarf user can do in OU.

I think Deoxys-N is plagued by a massively terrible typing, and 150 in an offense isn't that exciting anymore with the megas around.

Hazards are nerfed hardcore this gen because Defog is really everywhere. I'd almost consider it compulsory on a team right now because of all the Sticky Web hype going on right now. So I do think that Deo-D and Deo-S can fit in with this new metagame. Deo-S is still really unpredictable like it was in 5th gen, but I do think its options are more limited now because the hazard setting set isn't really good right now.

Dunno about Genesect right now though it sounds really fun.

You've got some points there... Keep in mind though, that Deoxys isn't a Mega. Perhaps it can function as an anti-lead. I played a Focus Sash Deoxys-A in Ubers for Gen V, and it only lost to Sash Darkrai, Sash Cloyster, Specially Defensive Giratina and 1-2 versions of Arceus. And U-Turn Scarf Genesect, if the switch was one of the above or ran a priority move. Deoxys-N has a huge movepool and can take out or dent many common leads. After all, it also has 150 Spe.
I do realize that hazards get nerfed; that's another valid point. But, if memory serves, the best Defog users are Empoleon and Flygon, and none of them was OU last Gen. But yeah, I guess that D-D and D-S are more balanced now.
Genesect, no. Lock up your daughter, lock up your wife, lock up your back door and run for your life, for the Insectinator is in OU. I seriously can't believe how something with this typing, these stats, this Ability and this movepool combined is OU. Hopefully, I'm wrong and it won't matter that much.

This list looks pretty much like I thought it would. In PokeBank however, I agree and don't agree with the unbanning of Deoxys-N. Sure, Megazam (and other megas) may be on par with/outclass it, but it can hold Life Orb and is still extremely dangerous. It probably won't last long, but at least they're giving him a chance like in last gen.

Yveltal is something I can see in OU for some reason. Its SR weakness looks balancing enough, and it has several common weaknesses to compromise its bulk. I'd like to at least test it in OU.

All in all, I'm glad we're taking a clean slate with this gen, giving questionable things a run in the Mega-OU game. This shows that we really care about customizing the game as aptly as we can and are willing to accept change. I think this is the first gen in awhile on which I can tack the following words on: A Diverse Meta.

~AoH

Ugh. Why unban Deoxys-N. The others I might not necessarily agree with (Genesect, Manaphy -_-) but I can at least understand why they'd test them. Deo-N seems so incredibly overpowered though that I'm not sure why it's worth testing.

1) It doesn't take up your team's mega-pokemon slot

I think Deoxys-N is plagued by a massively terrible typing, and 150 in an offense isn't that exciting anymore with the megas around.

2) It can still hold Life Orb, Focus Sash, Light Clay, or another item that pushes its power past those of the megas

3) Movepool. Its movepool is incredible, especially when paired with obscenely high attacking stats. Look at how great Starmie is, for example. Its special attack is exceedingly average: It's only base 100, and you NEVER use a boosting nature on Starmie. But throw STAB Hydro Pump, and great coverage its way and suddenly it's been OU for every single generation. (Yes I'm aware Starmie gets Rapid Spin and Deoxys doesn't, but you get the pint I'm trying to make.)

BTW, notice I said "obscenely high attacking STATS." as in plural. Deoxys boasts not only high Special Attack, but ridiculously high physical attack as well, with a movepool that compliments it quite well. Things like Mega Alakazam might boast higher Special Attack, but it can't hold life orb, has to rely on Focus Miss for steel and dark-type coverage, and it doesn't have access to/can't use the following moves effectively because of poor Attack stat:

Magic Coat, Spikes, Stealth Rock, Brick Break, Drain Punch, ExtremeSpeed, Fire Punch, Ice Punch, Thunderpunch, Low Kick, Meteor Mash (for fairies!!), Rock Slide, Superpower, Zen Headbutt, Ice Beam, Psycho Boost, and Flash Cannon.

I dunno about you, but that seems pretty OP to me. The other Deoxys-Formes are worth a test, IMO. Defog isn't going to be everywhere, but the fact that there's now two moves to get rid of hazards makes it a lot harder for suicide leads to function. Defog also gets rid of Light Screen/Reflect, which makes Deoxys-S's life especially hard.

What do you guys think of perish-trap Mega Gengar for OU?
Something like:
Gengar
@Gengarite
Ability: Levitate/Shadow Tag
- Protect
- Substitute
- Disable
- Perish Song

Its fun to use, but it seems like a waste of his monster Special Attack. (base 180, iirc)

guys I have to say I've been using Clawitzer on Wifi and I think it could very easily get to UU

the setup I've been using:
Clawitzer @Life Orb
252 SpA/252 HP/4 SpD
-Water Pulse
-Ice Beam
-Aura Sphere
-Dark Pulse

Water Pulse gets to Surf's BP with Mega Launcher, so I decided that it would be a fun switch especially cos WP's confusion rate
Ice Beam is Ice Beam
The other 2 made use of Mega Launcher and it's not like they're bad - Clawitzer has a 120 bp Fighting and Dark move now

let's put it this way:
-Water Pulse OHKO'd a Scizor
-Dark Pulse OHKO'd a Metagross
-Aura Sphere OHKO'd a Mega Tyranitar (includes the Sand SpD boost)

the only thing I've found a problem with it is that it's defenses are a little lackluster - even a strong neutral attack can do around 50% to it, and a strong SE attack is very likely to, if not downright KO it. The fact it's kinda slow doesn't help this.
Expert Belt may not be a terrible item for it either, since it gets pretty good coverage.

"Clawitzer @Life Orb
252 SpA/252 HP/4 SpD
-Water Pulse
-Ice Beam
-Aura Sphere
-Dark Pulse"

That's pretty much the set-up for Clawitzer. You got it. It's a very good Water tank, but its speed leaves it basically unable to switch-in and use its defenses; Clawitzer has to come in on a free turn/KO. It is also outclassed by Megastoise, but that doesn't diminish its usefulness. Clawitzer, with the lower attacking stats of the lower tiers, has the potential to become a serious threat. This gen seems to be shifting towards bulky offense somewhat, so it will find its niche.

~AoH

Could Scarf Clawitzer have a niche? That overcomes its lack of speed and its lack of boosts.

I think it could, but I'm not sure. With Scarf equipped you get past all positive-natured base 110s, so Latias/Latios, and 120 Special Attack backed by Mega Launcher seems pretty good. I do want to point out that unlike Tyranitar, however, you won't manage to outrun Starmie.

TPO3 said:
I think it could, but I'm not sure. With Scarf equipped you get past all positive-natured base 110s, so Latias/Latios, and 120 Special Attack backed by Mega Launcher seems pretty good. I do want to point out that unlike Tyranitar, however, you won't manage to outrun Starmie.

It basically gets STAB on Dark Pulse, so being able to outrun Lati@s is very nice. Losing to Starmie is a bummer, but that's to be expected. It also can get rid of Terrakion and the genies (sans Tornadus-Therian) if not Scarfed. It doesn't have as much raw power as one would like, but it should be enough to have some use. Calcs would be appreciated (I might get to them later if no one else does).

~AoH

Since Teapot said everything I said and even more, I'm not gonna go even deeper in the new banlist. All in all, it remains to be seen.
To answer to AoH, while Scarf Clawitzer has its uses, it also loses one of Clawitzer's greatest traits, its huge movepool. I like Clawitzer, but I think a Scarf edition in OU is easily outclassed by many other Scarfers. On the other hand, in UU it probably won't need a Scarf, and it will be far more useful.
So, I'll bring up the Greninja subject. At first glance, it seems like a great Pokemon, mostly 'cos of its Ability. But after using it, I'm not that sure anymore. Its offense is average even with a boosting nature (which is not a very good idea) and it's so frail that even neutral hits can easily KO it. Facing a Scarfer means it's doomed, and same goes for Extreme Speed and Mach Punch. I'd also really like to see the calcs for a CB Scizor's Bullet Punch and Aegislash's Shadow Sneak. Greninja's movepool is also a bit average, forcing it to resort to moves like Grass Knot, Focus Blast and the now nerfed Hidden Power. Its power as a spinblocker thanks to Hidden Power Ghost is also questionable. The nature of its ability doesn't allow for the use of any Choice items, and it needs a lot of focus and prediction since a bad move can turn Protean against you and kill Greninja.
What are your thoughts on this?

In my opinion, physical Greninja>Special Greninja. It gives you Water Shuriken, which is fantastic for revenging Excadrill, Blaziken and Talonflame. You've also got U-Turn, which you get STAB on. Shadow Sneak, Rock Slide, Waterfall, Night Slash and Aerial Ace are other options as well (I like Waterfall because it's the strongest move, and Shadow Sneak because it lets you revenge kill weakened Gengar and Aegislash.)

A very nice point. However, the majority of flaws I mentioned before still apply, and the offense problem is more apparent than before, as Greninja has even lower Attack than Special Attack. Good thing is that it gets a lot of physical STAB priority, which can nullify its own problem with Scarfers and priority attackers.

Back