PTCGO The Pokémon TCG Online Troubleshoot Guide

Luispipe8

Pokémon Professor
This is The Pokémon Trading Card Game Online Discussion & Troubleshoot Thread.

Here, you may:
  • Ask general questions about TPCi's official gaming client.
  • Ask for troubleshooting to see if a fellow member can give you a hand.
  • Discuss things like card availability, the client's functions and features, etc.

You may not:
  • Look for other members willing to battle you in the game.
  • Ask for cards. All trades/request must be done via Private/Profile Messages.
  • Share videos containing gameplays, playtests or the like.

Common things that you may be experiencing are:

Q: I don't know what's my Log In information. Where can I see it?
A: Your Log In information is the same one you use to enter Pokémon.com. Be aware that if you change any details in the site, it will be changed in the client as well.

Q: The avatar I have is not of my liking. How can I change it?
A: The avatar you use on PTCGO is the same one as in Pokémon.com. Change it there and the one in PTCGO will match it.

Q: When I open up the game, all I see are purple-colored blocks and the cards don't show up. Why is that?
A: That means that your graphics card driver might be outdated. If updating the driver doesn't solve the issue, then you should change your graphics card or computer.

Q: Where are my cards?
A: Your cards show up in the "Collection" section. There you can use an array of filters to sort them.

Q: How do I redeem codes and how do I access their content?
A: You redeem your codes in the "Redeem" section of the store. When you redeem a pack/deck, that product will be available in the "Packs" section of your collection.

Q: I have almost no coins. How can I get more?
A: You get a coin for every match you play in the game, and extra rewards(including coins) come if enough time has passed before the game finished. Also, playing games in Pokémon.com can net you up to 20 coins per week.

Q: I'm unable to install the game due to "damaged files." What can I do?
A: This was an error happening pretty frequently, so this is one of the solutions:
  • Open System Preferences.
  • Navigate to the ‘Privacy’ tab.
  • If the ‘Allow Apps Downloaded From’ area is grayed out, click the lock in the lower left corner to allow changes to be made.
  • Choose ‘Anywhere’
  • The game should open normally.

Q: Cards take a long time to load, how can I reduce the load time for cards in the Pokémon TCG Online?
A: Cards load for the first time as soon as the card shows up in the game. There's a way to make sure cards are loaded before entering a game, though:
  • Enter your Collection by selecting the Collection button from the main screen.
  • Once there, remove the checkmark for Filters.
  • Select the Tiled View.
  • Apply the checkmarks for both Show Owned and Show Not Owned.
  • Slowly scroll through all cards, ensuring that each loads and is properly displaying the card image.
  • Once this is complete, loading times should be reduced, if not eliminated, during matches.

Q: When installing/updating, the Refresher gets stuck at 50% and no longer moves. How can I solve this?
A: Usually, uninstalling the game from the computer, downloading a new installation file from the site and re-installing would solve the issue. Otherwise, changing the memory drive where the game is installed can fix it.

Q: When I want to start playing, it always say me "ERROR, could not connect to server". How can I fix this?
A: Check that you have an active Internet connection and that PTCGO has permission to connect to the web.

For reference, or other inquires we can't help you solve, you can contact the Pokémon Support Center.

FoxKin45

Centipede / Eyepatch
Pokemon TCGO Problems

I have been trying day after day for the last work week trying to download the game but it will not work. It either says it is like a 1-12 hour download, or It will just stop half way through, then when it finally gets to install it says its corrupt or something. Just wondering if someone else is experiencing the same issues or knows how I can fix it.

PsychedelicBreakfast

We can live beside the ocean leave the fire behind
RE: Pokemon TCGO

I'm having trouble with this too.

I just now decided to give the PTCGO a whirl, but my system must be too slow. My laptop is about 5-6 years old, and it's running crappy Vista. It took about half an hour to download the program, and when I use the program it's so slow and laggy. When I enter codes and click Claim Now, the code turns red and then nothing happens. If I enter the code again it'll still accept it, so I know it hasn't been completely redeemed. I still have no idea how to claim my packs after I enter the codes. Any idea?

FoxKin45

Centipede / Eyepatch

After you redeem it there should be a little check box you need to check on the right side.

Angela Anuszewski

I'm a Fighting Type.

FoxKin45 said:
After you redeem it there should be a little check box you need to check on the right side.

And then you go find "packs" in the card manager thing and "open" them.

PsychedelicBreakfast

We can live beside the ocean leave the fire behind

Hm, I don't know what the problem is. I enter the code, redeem it, the pack shows up in the right column, I mark the box and click claim now, the code briefly turns yellow, then turns red. I go to collection -> packs, but all of the packs still have 0 below them. After you claim a pack is it supposed to do anything to let you know it worked? Or does it just turn red like I said?

FoxKin45

Centipede / Eyepatch
RE: Pokemon TCGO Problems

So tried downloading it again, and it said 'network error'. What does this mean?

L

liquidprinter

Change your disk and than try to download.

tripfour1

Aspiring Trainer

Yes, after you click the box for your packs & check Claim, it should come back opening another window saying successful that you click OK on. Then they show up in your collection / packs to open

keldeoqueen

♬Keldeo Master♬

I have a different type of problem with my TCG. See, I open it up on my MacBook Pro and it goes to the quartz-like screen, says Loading..., then darkens a bit and doesn't do anything else. When I open up Refresher, the main window says it is updating, but it never does anything...

DarkraiGuy

Since 1997
Tcg online help

*If this is he wrong place to post please move it thank you:)*

Every time i download the file and load it it will load up the part where you see something electric like(when the white light/energy starts moving as the graphic for the game begins) Then it dims and that is that, it freezes at that point. I then hit the refresh file that comes with the game and it says update error loading file please reinstall software. Is redownlading not reinstalling? if so please inform me how to do so. Is there any other advice or help anyone can offer me to get the online game to work? I have never go it to work so i have never played on my mac before. thank you for the help. Apologies if this is the wrong place to post.
*edit* Ohh i see I was moved thank you to the very helpful monitors! But yes I am experiencing precisely Keldeoqueens problem.

DarkraiGuy

Since 1997

keldeoqueen said:
I have a different type of problem with my TCG. See, I open it up on my MacBook Pro and it goes to the quartz-like screen, says Loading..., then darkens a bit and doesn't do anything else. When I open up Refresher, the main window says it is updating, but it never does anything...

Have the same problem, If you find a fix PM me with the fix please:) I will do the same. Considering bringing my laptop to league tomorrow to get tech help but i may just rather play the tcg when i have the opportunity and fix it on my own time:shy: Thanks!

ThirdEye

Magikarp Sushi mmmmm
TCGO Questions

So, I've been trying to get into the card game online but it seems a bit confusing at first. To my understanding, I can't purchase individual cards, correct? I have to buy packs or trade. That is pretty dumb. Anyway, if I purchase redeem codes from a person on this site, how does that work? Are those codes for individual cards or packs or what? Thanks.

Athena

The Cooler Danchou
Advanced Member
RE: TCGO questions

It depends on the code card in question. Most code cards are for packs, but not all code cards can be redeemed for all packs (I know some of the old codes won't get you newer packs, for example). There are also some code cards for specific cards; usually these cards are from tins or other promo packs. Some codes are for packs and an individual card. Basically, it depends on the code in question, and when you buy/trade for/use a code card, you should be able to tell what that code is used for. In the case of buying or trading, you can find out from the person offering it before you buy it, and you can also see it written on the card itself.

When you buy code cards from someone, they will either mail you the physical cards you e-mail you the codes. Then, you enter in the codes online through the PTCGO program to redeem them.

JungleBeatz

Financial Genius

To expand your collection on Pokemon Trading Card Game Online you must either:
For Trade-able Cards
  • Purchase Booster Pack in real life for the code cards (1 in every booster pack)
  • Purchase UNUSED Code cards from people (either friends or Ebay [Beware of used cards / Buy from highly rated dealers]
  • Purchase Tins, Blister Boxes, and other Promo Items for Additional Codes (ie. Buying a Mewtwo EX tin will get you a free code to unlock 1x Mewtwo EX)
  • Trade your unlocked cards (meaning the cards with no red locks) or booster packs (redeemed from cards) to others. People really like packs and will trade good stuff for unopened packs

For non trade-able cards
  • Earn Coins from Single Player or Multiplayer matches and buy 5 card Packs or Theme Decks
  • Finish the Single Player campaign for theme decks and other promo cards

Machamp The Champion

TCG Articles Head

The closest thing you can get to buying singles is to buy Code Cards, enter them into the game, and offer to trade them in-game towards the singles you want. Often times, you'll have to trade a lot of codes for 1 card, and it may take a while for someone to take the offer, but it's the best method for just getting the cards you want. Getting singles is hard, but still far cheaper than buying a deck in real life.

ThirdEye

Magikarp Sushi mmmmm

Cold you give me an example of a decent trade? How much is 1 booster code worth and how many would i need to trade for say a Genesect EX?
Also, do people trade/sell entire decks for TCGO? I'm looking to maybe purchase a blastoise deck.

Machamp The Champion

TCG Articles Head

ThirdEye said:
Cold you give me an example of a decent trade? How much is 1 booster code worth and how many would i need to trade for say a Genesect EX?

I don't usually buy singles on TCGO, but I'd say start off by trading them as if their values were the ones they have in real life (1 Code = 1 Pack = 4 Bucks), then raise/lower it depending on how fast the trade gets taken/if it was taken at all. Codes don't cost much (usually 50 cents to a dollar), so you won't lose much money if you make 1 or 2 unfavorable trades.

ThirdEye said:
Also, do people trade/sell entire decks for TCGO? I'm looking to maybe purchase a blastoise deck.

I don't think so. You could always try it, but I don't think you'll get many takers.

AlexanderTheAwesome

Go! Chandelure!

ThirdEye said:

Assuming the Genesect EX is virtual price each pack at about 3-4 dollars. Assuming the Genesect is a tangible card, each code is about $0.25 - $0.50.

ThirdEye

Magikarp Sushi mmmmm

Oh ok. Thanks. I wish it was easier to do this. They would make even more money. I just want to buy a blastoise deck and be done with it.