Writing The Official PokéBeach Writer's Corner Competition 2011- Congratulations to our first place winner a

Status
Not open for further replies.

SinnohTrainer17

ravioli ravioli give me the formuoli
*Title re-edited for clarity.~Apollo

I figured it's about time we make things a bit more fun for everyone that's currently nesting in the Writer's Corner :3

----------​

Competition? What do?
1. First and foremost- signing up is simple- just post here stating that you will partake in the competition, and I will include your name in the list of participants below. The deadline for signing up is Friday, February 11th, 2011, so that I can post the prompt soon enough without anybody missing out on time to finish their story.
2. On Saturday, February 12th, 2011, I will post the prompt for the competition. The prompt will be a very short phrase that you have to center your story around. There is a set date for the release of the prompt so that everyone has fair game and ample time to see the prompt and complete their story.
3. All participants have exactly one week from the release of the prompt to complete their story (Saturday, February 19th, 2011). Don't worry if you don't have time this specific week to complete your story- there will be other opportunities to participate in such contests.
4. Once all entries have been submitted/the deadline arrives, I will update the first post with all submissions. They will be completely and 100% anonymous, so each submissioni will look like:
Submission #1 said:
Insert story here :3
5. The judging will be completely unbiased- all submissions will be anonymous (only I will know who wrote which entry), and the judges are not allowed to submit their own short stories. They will pick their two favorite submissions, and when the judges come to their final decision through a private discussion, I will post the first and second place entries and who wrote each entry.

Rules
1. All PokéBeach and Writer's Corner rules apply.
2. Absolutely no flaming of other's work will be permitted, anonymous or not.
3. Do NOT be a poor sport- complaining about losing or boasting that you won or placed could possibly get you banned from participating in any future writing competitions.
4. Your story will not be accepted as an entry if it does not meet any of the following requirements-
4a. All stories must be no longer than 2,000 words.
4b. Grammatical and spelling errors must be kept to an absolute minimum. Keep in mind that the judge panel will be paying attention to spelling and grammar.
4c. All stories must pertain to the prompt in some way, so don't revolve your story around a bagel when the prompt is "flattery works" unless it somehow relates to the prompt (good luck with that one).
4d. All stories must be submitted to me within one week of the release of the writing prompt (by Saturday, February 19th, 2011).
5. Don't try to influence the judges decision by mentioning your submission- they don't know which is yours, but I will ;)

----------​

So that's about it! A couple reminders- always, always, always proofread and spell check. We are looking for stories that look and sound professional. No, we're not looking for something on the level of William Shakespeare, but a basic knowledge or mastery of the written word to some degree is necessary to win this competition. Also- think outside of the box. Be creative! Don't be afraid to have some fun with the prompt. At the same time, however, don't get to carried away and write up a fantastic story that has nothing to do with the writing prompt.

I wish the best of luck to everybody, and I hope that we can have some fun with this!

Participants
1. Darkvoid57
2. HypnoticLuxray
3. Shadow Arceus
4. Twig
5. Unique Username
6. aggiegwyn
7. mlouden03
8. CrazyAipom
9. Boddy903

Judges
1. PMJ
2. Zenith
3. DNA

Deadline for Entry: Friday, February 11th, 2011. 11:59 EST
Writing Prompt: The day the walls could talk.
Deadline for Submission: Saturday, February 19th, 2011. 11:59 EST

RE: The Official PokéBeach Writer's Corner Competition 2011

Please sign me up. I am psyched for this.

Sign me up. I have been trying to write something here, but I lack the motivation and/or a good topic. This should stir up my creative juices.

Thanks for your participation! Your names are now on the sign-up list.

- - - - -
Update: I'm moving back the dates a little bit- I noticed that it's been spread out a bit too much for a competition like this. Everyone will still have a week to submit their entries.

I'll give it a shot. Like HL, maybe it'll stir up the juices.

4c. All stories must pertain to the prompt in some way, so don't revolve your story around a bagel when the prompt is "flattery works" unless it somehow relates to the prompt (good luck with that one).
I SENSE A CHALLENGE
Zenith said:
At the window table in the Seven Sevens café, a twenty-six year old man in a white shirt, blue tie, and black slacks named Jack could be seen struggling with a newspaper.

Jack patted his napkin to his chin as he placed his grey coffee mug back onto the café table. He had spilled just the tiniest amount, and had needed to clean up the small mess in the most nonchalant way possible. Luckily, he hadn't gotten any on the crossword puzzle in front of him. He looked down with disdain at the next clue.

"4-Across. Bread product created in sixteenth century Poland."

He chewed nervously on the end of his pencil. He had never failed at a crossword puzzle...not ever. In fact, he took pride in his crossword skills. His friends expected to see him show up at work with the puzzle completed every workday, and he had to be at work in ten minutes.

He glanced around the establishment, looking for someone, anyone with a crossword puzzle. He needed to complete it. He knew that once he got this one clue, he would easily be able to finish the rest of the puzzle. What would everyone think if it wasn't done? They would all make fun of him, insult him, leave his company.

At least he found someone holding what looked like the crossword puzzle. He could see from his seat that the puzzle was nearly completed; 4-Across was definitely filled in. He tried to lean over to get a better look. but he almost knocked his coffee across his lap. He sighed.

The person solving the crossword puzzle was a young, beautiful woman who appeared to be in her twenties. Her hair was the color of cocoa; her eyes were a brilliant blue hue. Her dress, though modest, still complimented her perfect curves. She ate her breakfast and drank her coffee with such delicacy and grace - Jack had never seen anything like it. After thinking for a long time, he got up and walked over to her table.

"Hello."

To his dismay, she folded up the newspaper when he came near. "Hello," she responded.

"I was just wondering...I saw that you had the crossword. Would you mind if I looked? I can't get one of the answers."

She started to open up the paper again, but stopped. "Wait," she said. "Aren't you the guy who always talks about how great he is at crossword puzzles?"

Argh! She'd recognized him. He was sure that he had never seen her before. "Um...n-no. That was...that was some total asshole," he stammered.

"Nice try," she smiled. "You're not getting the answer from me."

Jack sighed once again. He quickly came up with a contingency plan. "I confess, that was just an excuse to come over here and talk to you," he said. "It's just...you're very beautiful, you see."

She raised an eyebrow. "Thanks, I think."

He could see that it wasn't working as well as he would have hoped. "Um...would you like to go out sometime for lunch? Say...Saturday?"

"That would be...well, that would be rather nice, actually. I have to run in a bit, but here's my number." She scrawled her number, 555-3594, onto her napkin. Jack gave her his.

"Thank you. It's been a pleasure," Jack said, leaving the table. Immediately, he held his cell phone under the table and dialed the number. As she was distracted by getting her phone out of her bag, he flipped the newspaper open just long enough to see the answer:

B-A-G-E-L.

Satisfied, he filled in the answer and completed the rest of the puzzle in record time. As he left the café, he tossed the phone number into the trash bin, and whistled a made-up tune as he walked to his office building.
  • Jack's full name is Jackson Geoffrey Robinson.
  • Jack is afflicted with paranoid personality disorder and a bit of OCD.
  • Jack is homosexual.
  • The woman's name is Gina Washington. She does not have a middle name. Her height is 5'9", her sign is Capricorn, her IQ is 108, she is a fan of romance novels, and she regularly attends the opera.
  • I wrote this in roughly half an hour while listening to They Might Be Giants.

Hey ST17,
4b. Grammatical and spelling errors must be kept to an absolute minimum. Keep in mind that the judge panal will be paying attention to spelling and grammar.
As soon as you tell me exactly what a "panal" is, I'll be happy to judge this contest for you.
Edit: Dang, you got me. Sign me up.

@Zenith:
...garjfdka. You win again. Zenith- 78, ST17- 2.75
@DNA:
Wikipedia said:
The New Alliance Party (in Spanish language Partido Nueva Alianza; PNA or PANAL) is one of the newest political parties in Mexico.

Satisfied?
Anyhoo, sweet! We've got our three judges. Quite the trio here.

I'll try...I hope I have enough motivation to get it done though...

Well, good thing it comes after February 19th, or else I would never be able to do this!

Sign me up, please.

RE: The Official PokéBeach Writer's Corner Competition 2011 (Registration ends Friday Night at 11:59 P.M., EST)

Sign me up! :)

RE: The Official PokéBeach Writer's Corner Competition 2011 (Registration ends Friday Night at 11:59 P.M., EST)

-cracks knuckles-

Let's do this. I'm in.

Updated the first post. Thanks to the moderator that fixed the thread name; I noticed that it wasn't quite right a little while ago but didn't really get to fixing it.

@ST17: Sorry, but I had to respecify what the time sign ups end. Sometimes saying midnight the day after just leads to confusion, so I thought a minute before the day changed would sound more accurate.

@aggiegwyn: The submission deadline is the 19th...or did you mean you're glad judging doesn't start until after that? I'm a little confused by what you meant.

@aggiegwyn: The submission deadline is the 19th...or did you mean you're glad judging doesn't start until after that? I'm a little confused by what you meant.

Oh. Well that changes things. I may be able to squeeze this in, but first I need to know the topic.
-goes to front page-

*EDIT*
Okay, I'll wait till saturday to see what it is...

Well, just remember that everyone has a week to get their entries in after the prompt's been announced. In any case, good luck, everyone! Note: I'm not participating this time around, but I will step in to answer questions about the rules or clear up things before sign-ups are done if I need to.

RE: The Official PokéBeach Writer's Corner Competition 2011-Registration ends TONIGHT at 11:59 P.M., EST; Hurry and sign

Ahhhh! I'm just seeing this now?! Can I still sign up, today is the last day

RE: The Official PokéBeach Writer's Corner Competition 2011-Registration ends TONIGHT at 11:59 P.M., EST; Hurry and sign

Nope, you're not too late.

Entries end in less than two hours for anyone else who wants to join (midnight EST, or 11:00 CST where I'm at...I'm sure people can figure it out though for where you're at). So sign up if you want.

RE: The Official PokéBeach Writer's Corner Competition 2011- Time to write! The writing prompt has been posted!

Thank you to all that signed up! Registration ended as of about fifteen minutes ago. The first post has been updated with the writing prompt. You may find it below as well.

The day the walls could talk.

That's it. Implement it into your story any way you'd like, but remember to always, always, always make sure that you're following the competition rules.

I wish the best of luck to all participants. Please PM your submissions to ME by this Saturday, February 19th, 11:59 EST.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back