Help The "Is There A Card That Does This?" Thread

Is there a pokemon with an ability that allows you to put damage counters on your opponent's pokemon each time you attach energy to it?

Is there a pokemon card that does increased damage to pokemon with status effects active on them? I Am trying to build a poison based deck with the upcoming Toxapex GX Cards. Also are there any good stall cards that can prevent damage for a turn?

Thanks!

Is there a pokemon card that does increased damage to pokemon with status effects active on them? I Am trying to build a poison based deck with the upcoming Toxapex GX Cards. Also are there any good stall cards that can prevent damage for a turn?
Okay, I know there are some with that kind of attack, but I don't know it straight out of my head. But, I know a lot of stall cards. Regice AOR, Jolteon EX GEN, Glaceon EX FCO, Mewtwo EVO, Carbink FCO and Mew EVO. Trainers that can stall your opponent are: Crushing Hammer, Enhanced hammer and Team Flare grunt.

Thanks!
The main what that comes to mine is Ninetales from DRX

Okay, I know there are some with that kind of attack, but I don't know it straight out of my head. But, I know a lot of stall cards. Regice AOR, Jolteon EX GEN, Glaceon EX FCO, Mewtwo EVO, Carbink FCO and Mew EVO. Trainers that can stall your opponent are: Crushing Hammer, Enhanced hammer and Team Flare grunt.

You could also try Team Skull Grunt

Thanks!

There are no good Standard-legal cards that do increased damage when your opponent is affected by a status condition, unfortunately. However, that type of attack does exist - most of them are Venoshock and Wake-up Slap. The card that would fit into your deck the most, would be Toxapex from Sun & Moon. Venoshock does 50 damage plus 50 more damage if the opponent's Active Pokemon is poisoned.

If, however, you're looking at the Expanded format, then you have Ninetales from Dragons Exalted. For just one Fire Energy, its attack does 20 damage plus 50 more damage for each special condition on the opponent's Active Pokemon. It's Ability, Bright Look, is also very good - a Lysandre effect when played from the hand to evolve your Vulpix. This is the card @jessalakasam mentioned.

As for stalling, one card worthy of consideration is Toxicroak from Steam Siege; its Ability, Poison Enzyme, prevents all damage done to it by your opponent's poisoned Pokemon. This is a great Ability but it hasn't seen use in competitive play yet.

Last edited:
Are there any cards that attach energy to your Pokemon? I know there's card like Max Elixir and Volcanion, but are there any others?

Are there any cards that attach energy to your Pokemon? I know there's card like Max Elixir and Volcanion, but are there any others?

Most definitely. For Pokémon, I know off the top of my head: Delphox BREAK, Lurantis-GX, Oblivion Wing Yveltal, and Palkia-EX. Also, it's a bit of a stretch, but Evolutions Electrode can be used as 2 Electric energies via its ability.

For trainer cards I know of Ether (EDIT: in Expanded), Dark Patch in Expanded, and the upcoming Aqua Patch in Guardians Rising.

Last edited:

Absolutely!

In addition to the cards mentioned by @mordacazir and @Knite, here are some more Standard-legal cards that accelerate Energy (not many of them have seen much competitve play mind you):
  • Fomantis (Sun & Moon) has the attack 'Synthesis' that, for one Grass Energy, allows you to search your deck for a Grass Energy and attach it to one of your Pokemon.
  • Sceptile (Primal Clash) has an Ability, 'Nurture and Heal', that allows you to attach a Grass Energy from your hand to one of your Pokemon once per turn (in addition to your standard attachment) and, when you do, heal 30 damage from that Pokemon.
  • Arcanine BREAK (XY Promo #180) has the attack 'Turbo Flame' allowing you to attach up to two basic Energy cards from your discard pile to one of your benched Pokemon.
  • Clawitzer (Steam Siege) has an Ability, 'Mega Boost', that allows you to attach an Energy card (basic or Special) from your hand to one of your Mega Pokemon once per turn (in addition to your standard attachment).
  • Dragonair (Sun & Moon) has a pretty whacky attack, 'Dragon's Wish', that lets you attach as many Energy cards as you like from your hand to your Pokemon during your next turn.
  • Houndoom-EX (BREAKthrough) is usually used for its first attack, 'Melting Horn', but its second attack, 'Grand Flame', isn't terrible either - for two Fire Energy it deals 50 damage and lets you attach a basic Fire Energy from your discard pile to one of your benched Pokemon.
  • Mewtwo-EX (Evolutions) has the attack 'Energy Absorption' which itself is a throwback to Movie Promo Mewtwo from 1999. Mewtwo-EX's 'Energy Absorption' attack lets you attach an Energy card from your discard pile to Mewtwo-EX.
In Expanded, there are a couple more Trainer's for Energy acceleration:
  • Dark Patch (Dark Explorers) lets you attach a Dark Energy from your discard pile to one of your benched Dark Pokemon. This card is and has been a mainstay in competitive dark decks since its release.
  • Ether (Plasma Storm) lets you reveal the top card of your deck and, if that card is a basic Energy, attach it to one of your Pokemon.
There are also some Energy-accelerating cards that are yet to be released in English but will be coming to us soon:
  • Rayquaza has the attack 'Turbo Storm' which, for two colourless Energy, does 30 damage and lets you attach two basic Energy from your discard pile to one of your benched Pokemon. It has yet to be confirmed, but I expect to see this released in English as part of the Guardians Rising set. Otherwise, it will probably be a Promo product further down the line.
  • Aqua Patch (Guardians Rising) is the Water equivalent of Dark Patch, letting you attach a Water Energy from your discard pile to one of your benched Water Pokemon. Time will tell how much play this will see but I expect it to be very good right off the bat.
Anyway, that's all I can think of for now (that haven't been mentioned already), though I'm sure there will be some that I've missed. Energy acceleration has and always will be a very powerful effect in the Pokemon TCG, so it's good to keep an eye on the cards that enable it.

Last edited:
Is there a card like fighting fury belt that works for evolution pokemon?

For Standard:
With Lysandre's Trump card getting banned soon, is there any cards that allow you to get resources back into the deck?
I know of Pal Pad for Supporters, but is there anything for Items, Stadiums and Energies?

I'm not interested in using junk search sableye as it can only be used in darkness decks, I'd like something that could work in most decks.
Currently using a fighting deck, so anything that works in fighting decks would also help.
Brock's Grit

Is there a card like fighting fury belt that works for evolution pokemon?

Nothing that increases both HP and damage, but there are a couple of Tool cards that do either or.

Standard:
  • Heavy Boots (20+ HP to a Pokémon with a Retreat Cost of 3 or more. The Pokémon Heavy Boots is attached to is also immune to Confusion.)
  • Assault Vest (Doesn't raise HP, but reduces damage dealt from attacks from your opponent's Pokémon with any Special Energy attached to the Pokémon Assault Vest is attached to by 40.)
Expanded:
  • Muscle Band (+20 damage to your opponent's Active Pokémon.)
  • Dark Claw (+20 damage dealt by the Dark type Pokémon it's attached to to the opponent's Active Pokémon.)
  • Silver Bangle (+30 damage to your opponent's Active Pokémon-EX.)
  • Crystal Wall (Ace-Spec) (If Crystal Wall is attached to Black Kyurem-EX, its maximum HP is 300.)
  • Crystal Edge (Ace-Spec) (If Crystal Edge is attached to White Kyurem-EX, its attacks do 50 more damage to your opponent's Active Pokémon.)
  • Giant Cape (+20 HP to the Pokémon it's attached to.)
Upcoming
  • Choice Band [Might not be in Guardians Rising] (+30 damage to your opponent's Active Pokémon-EX and Pokémon-GX.)

Are there any cards in Standard right now that have an Ability like Safeguard that nullify effects from attacks from your opponent's Pokemon-EX? I try to keep my deck in Standard but I'm usually battling against people playing decks with lots of BW and early XY era Pokemon-EX such as Yveltal-EX and BW Mewtwo-EX.

Are there any cards in Standard right now that have an Ability like Safeguard that nullify effects from attacks from your opponent's Pokemon-EX? I try to keep my deck in Standard but I'm usually battling against people playing decks with lots of BW and early XY era Pokemon-EX such as Yveltal-EX and BW Mewtwo-EX.

You'd be looking for Carbink FCL. Regice AOR and Hippowdown PRC also have attacks that protect it from Pokemon-EXs during the next turn.

In addition to @bbninjas' suggestions, keep an eye out for Alolan Ninetales which will -probably- be released in Guardians Rising. It has a Safeguard-esque Ability that works against EXs and GXs! I reckon that when this is released in English, the Ability will be translated as Aurora Veil.

Is there a standard card that can deal damage to the active and my bench for preferably low energy cost.

Back