Collecting The "Card Collector Help" Thread

RE: Hyper Metal Chain Deck Question

I do not think they ever printed any Japanese deck as an English deck.

RE: Hyper Metal Chain Deck question

Eh, in some respects, I can kind of understand. I don't agree with TPCi's position, but I can see why they they might consider it a bad move, especially considering that TPCi markets their products more towards kids and parents rather than to the competitive market. Releasing unique cards in decks (or even just releasing EX and other above-holo rarities in decks when they're also a part of the regular set) reduces the amount of money that people (especially kids and their parents) might spend on other products that TPCi makes more money from, mostly booster packs (but also tins and the other products that include booster packs).

After all, if all competitive players all want X Card to play in their deck, but X is only available in, say, 1/50 booster packs, then people (including card resellers) are going to buy and open enough packs to meet the demand. Sure, there's a good amount of money that gets made on a secondary market by those resellers (especially for particularly expensive cards) but TPCi still gets the initial booster sales (those delicious profit margins). If suddenly X card is mass-produced and easily available, they aren't selling as many boosters. This is also why the EXes that are reprinted for tins are usually released much later than their set counterparts (such as Mewtwo EX who got a tin release 7 months after he was released in NXD).

tl;dr, booster packs are where TPCi makes basically all of their money and that means they also profit from higher secondary market prices (even if not directly). Also a good amount of competitive players would still mostly buy singles, or trade for cards they want, or just use their tournament winnings to stay competitive anyway.

RE: The "Merchandise Help" Thread

I'm thinking of buying a tin, booster box or something else to keep for a few years and then sell, so what would increase most in value?
I'm thinking a FLF box would increase in value because of charizard, but maybe a mewtwo tin or something would be good too, what do you think?
/Adam

I'm hoping this is the right thread...
Anyways, I'm thinking about a forum game that involves TCG. What I would like to know is...

1. How often do Rare Holos appear instead of Rares and how often to Super Rare Holos appear instead of Rares?
  2. How often are FA's pulled instead of their respective counterpart?
  3. How often are Super Rares pulled instead of their respective counterpart?

The Japanese/English holos

Does anyone have, or can anyone compose, a list of cards that were holographic in Japanese but became non holo in English and cards that were non-holo in Japanese that became holo in English?

I have a question for buyers of Phantom Gate. Do your 048/088 Boldore have color variations? I have 2 that Boldore is bluer than the other 4 cards.

bbninjas said:
I'm hoping this is the right thread...
Anyways, I'm thinking about a forum game that involves TCG. What I would like to know is...

1. How often do Rare Holos appear instead of Rares and how often to Super Rare Holos appear instead of Rares?
  2. How often are FA's pulled instead of their respective counterpart?
  3. How often are Super Rares pulled instead of their respective counterpart?

1. You get a "better than regular rare" card in approximately 1/3 packs. So, in general, you'll get one holo/EX/FA/SR for each 2 non-holo rares you pull, though obviously holo rares are more common than the later ones. In some sets, certain SR/UR cards have come in the place of the RH slot instead, meaning that you could get a special card and a non-holo-rare or holo in the same pack, or even 2 special cards.

2. FAs aren't inserted "instead" of a regular EX, they're just a different rarity. EXes and M-EXes are "ex*" rarity (RR in Japanese) whereas FAs are SR rarity. Pull rates for FAs seem to be all over the place in English set, but I would put the average at maybe 1-2 per booster box (each booster box has 36 cards). Of course, some people pull 0 FAs and some people have pulled 4-5 in a box. The pull rates aren't as set as they used to be. 3-4 EXes seems to be the average per box as well, but again, there's no set pull rates and very wild variance so it's hard to judge. (Of course, this is all assuming English booster boxes; pull rates are much more set in Japan. Almost all booster boxes of 20 Japanese booster packs contain either 4 EXes or 3 EXes and 1 FA/SR. You'll get an FA in approximately 1/2 boxes.. There is still some variance, of course, but it's not nearly as bad as the English sets).

3. Super Rares (SRs) are the same thing as FAs for the case of BW-XY sets, so see above. Ultra Rares (URs) on the other hand are even more rare. In the XY sets, those are the gold-bordered Megas. You'd be lucky to get even one in a booster box. (Pull rate of URs in Japanese booster boxes is I believe 1/6 boxes, though I'm not positive on that)

omahanime said:
I have a question for buyers of Phantom Gate. Do your 048/088 Boldore have color variations? I have 2 that Boldore is bluer than the other 4 cards.

I pulled 5 Boldore in total and they all appear to have the same coloration.

adam44 said:
I'm thinking of buying a tin, booster box or something else to keep for a few years and then sell, so what would increase most in value?
I'm thinking a FLF box would increase in value because of charizard, but maybe a mewtwo tin or something would be good too, what do you think?
/Adam

some one must have suggestions about this :)

Eh, it's hard to predict that kind of long-term investment, especially for sealed products. Recent sets have had much higher production runs than earlier sets and so they're not rising in value the same way, and you're unlikely to ever see the kind of returns you would have gotten if, say, you held onto a Base Set box or even EX series boxes. That said, generally things featuring "popular" Pokémon will retain a higher resell value, so your Charizards, Rayquazas, etc. I'd also guess that booster boxes are more likely to see a better price increase than tins or promo sets, but tins might sell easier.

adam44 said:
adam44 said:
/Adam

some one must have suggestions about this :)

Not much of a drastic increase of value, but the Collector's Chest tins coming out next month should do better in the future, compared to seeing not only earlier tins current market values, but particularly those of the larger earlier collectors tins. I plan to get two, and if things don't pan out as I hope, at least I can open the box in the future for some nostalgia.

Thank you for your suggestions :)
I think I'm either gonna get a DragonsExalted booster box or a Primal Clash booster box (The English ORAS set).
DRX has rayquaza and mew, which is why I think this one will raise in value and the PrimalClash because it's going to have Groudon and Kyogre which I think is two pretty popular pokemons. I would get DarkExplorers but its too expensive xD

adam44 said:
/Adam

I urge caution in speculating on collectibles. There people who have made a profit, but there are much more who are stuck with product that does not sell, or if does sell it was at a reduced price.

omahanime said:

Can we get photos?

omahanime said:
adam44 said:
/Adam

I urge caution in speculating on collectibles. There people who have made a profit, but there are much more who are stuck with product that does not sell, or if does sell it was at a reduced price.
That, and you have to wait a long time staring at that unopened booster box just to make like $50 or something. If you leave it in your attic for like 10 years and forget about it, you'd probably get a pretty good deal if it's mint. I have found that keeping track of the metagame and what cards will increase in value is a quicker way. For example, I bought quite a few CobalionEX full arts for ~$12 each when I saw that Metal was getting some really good support. The value has almost doubled now. This may be hard if you don't play competitive TCG though.

Your choices for the box/tin collector things are good though. Mewtwo is a cool Promo card and anything Charizard always holds it's value, if not increase. Look at the Charizard G Lv.X sealed tin.

Carpey said:
omahanime said:
That, and you have to wait a long time staring at that unopened booster box just to make like $50 or something. If you leave it in your attic for like 10 years and forget about it, you'd probably get a pretty good deal if it's mint. I have found that keeping track of the metagame and what cards will increase in value is a quicker way. For example, I bought quite a few CobalionEX full arts for ~$12 each when I saw that Metal was getting some really good support. The value has almost doubled now. This may be hard if you don't play competitive TCG though.

Your choices for the box/tin collector things are good though. Mewtwo is a cool Promo card and anything Charizard always holds it's value, if not increase. Look at the Charizard G Lv.X sealed tin.

Yeah it will definitely be some painful moments xD but I think it is a fun way to make some money, even if it's very little :D
I think I've decided to buy a Charizard EX tin, but I'll wait some time to make up my mind about the booster box. I want to know more about the PrimalClash set before I decide :)

I think I'll get an Elite Trainer Box for Phantom Forces when it gets released, since I don't actually have any current cards and would like to start fresh to make a deck and play.

My question is though, how expensive are singles when it comes to this tcg? Some people have said getting red Genesect box is good because of the trainers, but can't I just pick up all those trainers for cheap? I only ask because its odd to me that people suggest a box collection, just for a few trainer cards. In other TCG I've heard its just buy the singles you want done, will be immensely cheaper, is that still the case for this tcg? it seems like it will be/ should be, but I may be missing something.

The box would actually cost about the same as picking up the traininers as singles plus in the box you also get energy and some pokemon that you could potentially use.

Also, you might want to consider the Yveltal vs Xerneas Battle Arena Decks. They are also packed with very competitive Trainers, as well as 6 Holo Fairy and Darkness Energy. It's a bit more expensive, but far more recent. As a matter of fact, some cards from the Red Genesect Collection are out of the Standard Format already (like Cilan and Tool Scrapper).

ok so I've been going through my binders of pokemon cards that I haven't looked into in years, I just kinda hoard them in card sleeves. Anyways' I've had these "cards" for quite some time now, I'm not sure what they are or where they came from (after all I buy a good bulk of my pokemon cards from thrift shops) and I can't find anything about them online. I do believe they're at least three different "sets"

Someone has also told me that the full art pokemon "cards" were the first prototypes or something like that, I don't think that's true.. even though a few of them are holographic.

They all feel very cheap and are made of cardboard, the "poke trivia" ones have little edges as if they've been torn out of something. The full art pokemon cards are a thicker cardboard than the rest.

So if anyone could shed some light on these for me that would be great!​

Here are the pictures:

Full Pokemon Art Cards:
IMG_20141101_243235268_zps2267791b.jpg
IMG_20141101_243341055_zps70b60ceb.jpg
IMG_20141101_244123816_zpscd8f2ecf.jpg
IMG_20141101_244130111_zpsab640f4e.jpg
IMG_20141101_244152783_zpscf9c0e30.jpg
IMG_20141101_244158048_zps8d2c2ed8.jpg

PokeTrivia Cards:
IMG_20141101_243520276_zps44787788.jpg
IMG_20141101_243530912_zps7bd5dfb1.jpg
IMG_20141101_244033134_zps212b0247.jpg
IMG_20141101_244041078_zps97856787.jpg

Pokemon Movie Cards:
IMG_20141101_243721114_zpsc12b9a4e.jpg
IMG_20141101_243731023_zpse156227a.jpg

Other Full Art Cards With Two Stragglers:
IMG_20141101_243944377_zps709d7bab.jpg
IMG_20141101_243952333_zpsb372d3e6.jpg

So again I have no knowledge over any of these "Cards" so any information will help. If you need a clearer picture on any of them or any close ups let me know I'll be happy to do that ^^​

Majority of them are Topps, but there are some Burger King cards.

Back