Collecting The "Card Collector Help" Thread

NarcoticHobo

Aspiring Trainer
It's been a year since I asked, so time to ask again I guess: Does anyone have any info where I could find the following JPN BW-P cards, if you can even find a place where they are available for purchase I'd send you a decent card as a finder's fee.

078/BW-P Snivy JR Train Rally promo
079/BW-P Tepig JR Train Rally promo
080/BW-P Oshawott JR Train Rally promo

ViralRiver

Aspiring Trainer
It's been a year since I asked, so time to ask again I guess: Does anyone have any info where I could find the following JPN BW-P cards, if you can even find a place where they are available for purchase I'd send you a decent card as a finder's fee.

Do you have pictures of them?

Jungletoad

Aspiring Trainer

Are you talking about these?

eZfeTXM.png

I've heard about these cards in the past, and it actually took a while before I could find any scans (if the cards I posted are what you are looking for).

In short, notoriously hard to find. I've never seen an auction for any of these cards on an English site, so your best bet here is to stalk the depths of Yahoo Japan (which can be tricky if you don't know your way around the language). It can take months, maybe even a year before one of these will pop up on the market, so you'll definitely need to dedicate yourself to the cause.

The only guy I can think of that might have some extended info is U/Japanime (http://efour.proboards.com/user/310) who ran a card store in Japan for years.

Good luck!

NarcoticHobo

Aspiring Trainer
Are you talking about these?

eZfeTXM.png

I've heard about these cards in the past, and it actually took a while before I could find any scans (if the cards I posted are what you are looking for).

In short, notoriously hard to find. I've never seen an auction for any of these cards on an English site, so your best bet here is to stalk the depths of Yahoo Japan (which can be tricky if you don't know your way around the language). It can take months, maybe even a year before one of these will pop up on the market, so you'll definitely need to dedicate yourself to the cause.

The only guy I can think of that might have some extended info is U/Japanime (http://efour.proboards.com/user/310) who ran a card store in Japan for years.

Good luck!

Thanks for the well wishes. I speak Chinese, my wife is Japanese, and we both have extensively searched yahoo auctions japan and other sites. I have even been to several card stores in Akihabara and asked them if they have ever had those cards, and they literally laughed in my face. Haha, looks like my collection is always going to be missing these...

Also, in 4 years I have never seen them on yahoo auctions, so they may not exist.

Edit: Yes those are the cards.

KandyCane7

Aspiring Trainer
Hey, welcome back to the Pokémon TCG; we're happy to have you! :D

Here are a few tips on rarity for a returning trainer:

Rarity symbols in English sets are the same as they've always been, ● for common, ♦ for uncommon, and ★ for rare. However, there are some new, extra rarities (typically represented by a silver ★ is more recent sets): EX and BREAK cards are the next rarity up from a holo card, then there are Full Art (FA) cards, followed by Ultra Rares (UR) which are the rarest of all.
  • Regular EX cards have kind of a half art pattern with a Pokémon bursting out of the top half of the card, like this. There are also EX cards available of Mega Pokémon and these look similar but are preceded by an M in the card title, like this.
  • BREAK cards are horizontal instead of vertical and feature a square holo pattern and a gold Pokémon render, looking like this.
  • FA cards are alternate versions of cards, either EX, M EX, or Supporters. Like the name implies, they feature artwork that fills the entire card. They're much rarer than their regular counterparts and feature a textured pattern in the holo. Here is an example of an FA version of the Gardevoir-EX I linked above.
  • URs tend to vary every few generations, though they almost always feature a gold border and post-set numbering, so they're easy to spot. In the most recent sets, URs are alternate FA versions of existing cards from the same set. For example, in the most recent set Fates Collide, here is a regular Alakazam-EX, here is the FA version, and here is the UR version, note the gold border and different style of artwork. Previous UR have included fancy versions of trainers, shiny Pokémon, etc.
Depending on how long ago you played/collected, you may not be aware of Reverse Holos (RHs), as well. RH cards come (almost) one in every English pack and are the same as regular Common, Uncommon, or Rare cards except that the background of the card has a foil pattern. In most recent sets, the RH pattern uses the card's energy type symbol as a design, like there. You can't get RH cards of EX, BREAK, or UR cards, only "regular" cards. Also, when opening packs, BREAK cards are included in the RH slot, so sometimes you will get a BREAK card instead of an RH card. It is possible to pull an EX/M/UR card in the same pack as a BREAK card.

Of course, not all rares are created equal, with some cards of the same rarity being more expensive/sought after than others, mostly because of either popularity or competitive usefulness, leading them to seem more rare (Shaymin-EX is a good example of that). If you'd like to get an idea of how much certain cards are worth, TCGPlayer is a great resource.

Good luck, have fun, and feel free to ask if you have any other questions! :)
I just opened up a mega full art charzard 101/108. Do I need to get it pas graded?

Athena

The Cooler Danchou
Advanced Member
I just opened up a mega full art charzard 101/108. Do I need to get it pas graded?

Grading cards or not is a personal choice. Some collectors like having their cards graded and protected, partially to time-proof them, partially for the rise in value. Others either don't like the casing PSA puts the cards in, don't think grading is worth the cost/effort, or otherwise just don't care about graded cards vs. non-graded. Personally, I'm in the latter category.