XY Team Flare: Creating a Beautiful World or Having a Secret Motive?

RE: Why do you think Team Flare's goal is money?

Has anyone thought that they actually don't have a hidden agenda and just want money so they have money, nothing more?

(not sure if this has been brought up or not)

P.DelSlayer said:
Has anyone thought that they actually don't have a hidden agenda and just want money so they have money, nothing more?

The problem with that idea is that it doesn't sound particularly evil... I mean, what kind of evil organization gathers huge amounts of money with no intent of doing anything with it?

J.D. said:
P.DelSlayer said:

The problem with that idea is that it doesn't sound particularly evil... I mean, what kind of evil organization gathers huge amounts of money with no intent of doing anything with it?

They could do evil things in order to get the money.
(and then when Flare are foiled then the money is returned to whoever it belonged to before)

I also hope X and Y will be darker than their predecessor. Like if they actually have an ACTUAL evil plan for all their money, something that children will understand somewhat easily; yet make it thinkable and deeper for the older players.

Money can be used to buy various goods and services, such as food, and luxury goods. The more you know...

In all seriousness, I would love it if they were just after money! To me, some of the other teams' goals seemed a bit... far-fetched *cough* Team Galactic *cough* Having said that, I'm sure that they want the money for some bigger purpose, to do with the legendaries...

P.DelSlayer said:
J.D. said:

They could do evil things in order to get the money.
(and then when Flare are foiled then the money is returned to whoever it belonged to before)

Yeah about that . . .

How will said money be returned if they are using it?

Also what would they need the money for? Doing evil things to get money? Last I checked it isn't uncommon for pokemon to be sold (I.E the game corners all those Dratini) and that does not necessarily seem evil. If they do the same with fossil pokemon then that is not really the most evil thing to do. If they are going to do evil things to get the money then they should do something evil once they have the money. Even Team Rocket seemed to have a hidden agenda. Also those other teams having goals being far fetched? I would not really call them far fetched really because this is a series where legendary pokemon could quite literally create new worlds if they wanted to.

Maybe they're trying to capture the legendary Pokemon in order to sell them for profit, similar to Team Rocket in the anime?

Raymund said:
Maybe they're trying to capture the legendary Pokemon in order to sell them for profit, similar to Team Rocket in the anime?

That's actually a very possible idea.
Then the previous money they've accquired is used to get proper, good equipment with which to capture the legendary.

Ghost King said:
TeamFlare-Pokemon-X-and_Y.jpg

Usually other teams goals were to take over the world and trainers Pokemon. Why is it that there is money? Does it have to do something with the legendaries? What do you think?

I think it symbolizes the creation and destruction theme, corruption of money or charity with money, that brings out legendaries, I think. (its just a stretch)

You question the motives of a Pokemon Villain Group when in reality, isn't this what Pokemon and any other big organization do anyway? Get all of your money.

Tbh I don't think they can come up with team that is better than Galactic or Plasma, so I like where they're going with Flare this generation.

People kidnap, hold mass murderings, Armed robberies, poach, blackmarket dealings, seal drugs and narcotics, destroy important property, anything for money.

they could be about to do some messed up stuff all for the sake of getting that "big score"

They could have like a for real mafia with team flare trying to "own" or take over all of Lumiose, get stupid paid

RE: Why do you think team flare goal is money?

Mitja said:
P.DelSlayer said:
I'm also thinking that Flare will predominantly use Fire and Dark types.

I hope more Fire than Dark. If its just Houndours that's no different than Magma (just Numels) or Galactic (in Pt)..

-Houndour/Houndoom
-Litwick/Lampent/Chandelure
-something that's Fire/Poison <3

Don't forget Malamar. It's Pokedex entry states that many people use its mind control ability to get what they want.

xayshade said:
People kidnap, hold mass murderings, Armed robberies, poach, blackmarket dealings, seal drugs and narcotics, destroy important property, anything for money.

they could be about to do some messed up stuff all for the sake of getting that "big score"

They could have like a for real mafia with team flare trying to "own" or take over all of Lumiose, get stupid paid

But that's our world, the pokemon world is entirely different. Most traits like greed, distrust and the motives that could force a person to choose a life of crime seem to be less widespread in the pokemon world, and all the people that are willing to do bad stuff end up together in the teams (rocket: world domination, aqua/magma: extreme and misinformed enviromentalism, galactic: godhood, plasma; liberating pokemon by all means necessary, plasma2: domination of unova (I think, I've still got to finish it)) those are not just "let's take money" teams, those consist of a crazy and very ruthless and charismatic leader riling up people to do bad things in the name of a greater goal. Compared to those grand goals, "they will do anything for money" is as stupid as reasons get. no pathos, no motivations other than simple greed, no greater meaning. the entire plot could be resolved if they get 5 million bucks, unlike the others, where the terms of an understanding and cease of hostilites was no negotiable.
All previous teams believed in what they were doing (hell, plasma under N was practically PETA) and that's what made them so dangerous, and interesting (check the old man in sunyshore's story about cyrus, and from his grandpa, in the desert route. He was totally detached from humanity). this guys, so far, just want what they could get by opening up a buisness, a farm, or just winning pokemon battles like the player does.

Regardless of their motivation, I hope these guys are more competent than Grunts from previous Teams. As long as these guys pose a legitimate threat, I'll be fine.

professorlight said:
xayshade said:

But that's our world, the pokemon world is entirely different. Most traits like greed, distrust and the motives that could force a person to choose a life of crime seem to be less widespread in the pokemon world, and all the people that are willing to do bad stuff end up together in the teams (rocket: world domination, aqua/magma: extreme and misinformed enviromentalism, galactic: godhood, plasma; liberating pokemon by all means necessary, plasma2: domination of unova (I think, I've still got to finish it)) those are not just "let's take money" teams, those consist of a crazy and very ruthless and charismatic leader riling up people to do bad things in the name of a greater goal. Compared to those grand goals, "they will do anything for money" is as stupid as reasons get. no pathos, no motivations other than simple greed, no greater meaning. the entire plot could be resolved if they get 5 million bucks, unlike the others, where the terms of an understanding and cease of hostilites was no negotiable.
All previous teams believed in what they were doing (hell, plasma under N was practically PETA) and that's what made them so dangerous, and interesting (check the old man in sunyshore's story about cyrus, and from his grandpa, in the desert route. He was totally detached from humanity). this guys, so far, just want what they could get by opening up a buisness, a farm, or just winning pokemon battles like the player does.

Yea except they are the evil team, meaning I HIGHLY doubt their motives for making money would be opening a farm, especially with those snazzy outfits.

They may not have insane motives, but sometimes people do messed up stuff for that dollar, after all money is sometimes considered the root of all evil.

And just because we haven't seen it in the pokemon world doesn't mean it doesn't exist. This could be a big operation and case of "tampering with forces you don't understadnd"

professorlight said:
xayshade said:

ok I just read this in it's entirety, and im guessing you've never been robbed before or heard of people being shot down in the street, gunned down, bank robberies hostages, big grandiose schemes, drug empires whole scale chaos and take over, based on ad around the goal of accumulating as much money as possible

xayshade said:
professorlight said:

Yea except they are the evil team, meaning I HIGHLY doubt their motives for making money would be opening a farm, especially with those snazzy outfits.

They may not have insane motives, but sometimes people do messed up stuff for that dollar, after all money is sometimes considered the root of all evil.

And just because we haven't seen it in the pokemon world doesn't mean it doesn't exist. This could be a big operation and case of "tampering with forces you don't understadnd"

ok I just read this in it's entirety, and im guessing you've never been robbed before or heard of people being shot down in the street, gunned down, bank robberies hostages, big grandiose schemes, drug empires whole scale chaos and take over, based on ad around the goal of accumulating as much money as possible

So, you answered me before you finished reading what I said... sigh. We are off to a great start.

Where did I said their motives for making money would be having a farm?
You read it backwards, I said that the goal they have with their crimes is the same one any non-criminal person has. That instead of comitting crimes they could just make a business or a farm, and they would get money, and that's why the villains motivation lacks weight, pathos, if that's all there is to it.

im guessing you've never been robbed before or heard of people being shot down in the street, gunned down, bank robberies hostages, big grandiose schemes, drug empires whole scale chaos and take over, based on ad around the goal of accumulating as much money as possible

Okay. let's see... Money as "the root of all evil" is a incredibly shallow statement. Evil is an abstract concept, dependant of a morality (a human construct) therefore, a human invention.
Money is also a human invention. BUT, money is always just a means to an end. In all those examples you gave up there (and I don't see how my personal perception of my area's criminal statistics have anything to do with what's being discussed here), I presume the criminals don't want money to throw it on the floor and roll in it all day long; they want to use it, be it to buy food, drugs, fancy clothes, a solid gold pimp cane or to overthrow a government, they don't want the money, they want what money means, they want freedom, and they want to get it through high-risk actions: the pay is big, the effort small, the risk of losing it all is high. Money is NOT the root of the human's evil, humans are the root of evil and money. If I were to tell you "hey, let's stick up that store in the corner; you could get at least a grand" would you do it? other person might. What's the difference between you and that other person? is it need? is it conscience? is it stupidity? is it recklessness? different moral standards? whatever the reason, the money itself is NOT that difference. In all the examples of the other evil teams, the goal is never money, it's always something greater, and they want it so bad they think they are right in wanting it, and they should get it: the fiercest opponent is always the one who believes himself to be the good guy. This clowns, on the other hand, don't, couldn't. because they would pursue just paper, metal, not their beliefs.

Oh, and I've been robbed twice, one by a junkie in the middle of the day and another by some (allegedly) armed punk. I tricked the junkie to leave and I wrestled the kid for my purse. And I hear about insecurity every freaking day, and I also know the motives behind that insecurity.

Well, being that all teams had a goal other than preparation so far, I would say that their goal isn't just to make money. No one chases money that blindly, they seek it out for its purpose as Professor Light stated.

We have seen the most common goal that runs thickly in pokemon teams, domination of the region. So, we could just assume its another team that wants to rule the world by its status and money. That could be one of their goals, however, only if we make the assumption that they are only after money.

But...I believe this team will have a flair, something that will distinguish it from any other money craving group. In Team Plasma, Colress wanted to test, improve, and use the bonds of pokemon if memory serves me.

So, in Team Flare I think the scientific branch may try to delve deeper into the pokemon's scientific makeup, and begin to use a way that isn't good for the pokemon itself. Of course this testing and information would have to remain secret (If they didn't they would become a recusant to the whole pokemon population) and thus they couldn't be openly funded.

Research often needs money, something of which Plasma had and we didn't have to see them work to get it. But! Team Flare may not have attained such wealth yet, which is why I think they want money. And this could eventually tie into the Legendaries.

Well, thats my whole speculation on why they would want money. If it is just for the sake of money...I'm going to be disappointed, but I'll still see what the evil team has to offer nonetheless.

professorlight said:
xayshade said:

So, you answered me before you finished reading what I said... sigh. We are off to a great start.

Where did I said their motives for making money would be having a farm?
You read it backwards, I said that the goal they have with their crimes is the same one any non-criminal person has. That instead of comitting crimes they could just make a business or a farm, and they would get money, and that's why the villains motivation lacks weight, pathos, if that's all there is to it.

im guessing you've never been robbed before or heard of people being shot down in the street, gunned down, bank robberies hostages, big grandiose schemes, drug empires whole scale chaos and take over, based on ad around the goal of accumulating as much money as possible

Okay. let's see... Money as "the root of all evil" is a incredibly shallow statement. Evil is an abstract concept, dependant of a morality (a human construct) therefore, a human invention.
Money is also a human invention. BUT, money is always just a means to an end. In all those examples you gave up there (and I don't see how my personal perception of my area's criminal statistics have anything to do with what's being discussed here), I presume the criminals don't want money to throw it on the floor and roll in it all day long; they want to use it, be it to buy food, drugs, fancy clothes, a solid gold pimp cane or to overthrow a government, they don't want the money, they want what money means, they want freedom, and they want to get it through high-risk actions: the pay is big, the effort small, the risk of losing it all is high. Money is NOT the root of the human's evil, humans are the root of evil and money. If I were to tell you "hey, let's stick up that store in the corner; you could get at least a grand" would you do it? other person might. What's the difference between you and that other person? is it need? is it conscience? is it stupidity? is it recklessness? different moral standards? whatever the reason, the money itself is NOT that difference. In all the examples of the other evil teams, the goal is never money, it's always something greater, and they want it so bad they think they are right in wanting it, and they should get it: the fiercest opponent is always the one who believes himself to be the good guy. This clowns, on the other hand, don't, couldn't. because they would pursue just paper, metal, not their beliefs.

Oh, and I've been robbed twice, one by a junkie in the middle of the day and another by some (allegedly) armed punk. I tricked the junkie to leave and I wrestled the kid for my purse. And I hear about insecurity every freaking day, and I also know the motives behind that insecurity.

I dunno. We could be dealing with some really narcissistic Frenchmen, each one believing him/herself to be superior to all others. These guys might be fueled by arrogance, and the big boss is using this (and the promise of untold riches) to manipulate them, similar to how Cyrus and Ghetsis controlled their minions.

Here's the problem I'm seeing: everyone's thinking about them (and all the past teams) as evil, which is a bit much, especially considering the fact that most of the grunts seem to be in it for money or thrills regardless of what team we're talking about, and the fact that all of the leaders of the more ideals-driven teams see themselves as ultimately doing good, even if they have to break the law to do it. They're not evil, they're criminal, and money is just as valid a motivation for criminal activity as anything else.

DorianBlack said:
Here's the problem I'm seeing: everyone's thinking about them (and all the past teams) as evil, which is a bit much, especially considering the fact that most of the grunts seem to be in it for money or thrills regardless of what team we're talking about, and the fact that all of the leaders of the more ideals-driven teams see themselves as ultimately doing good, even if they have to break the law to do it. They're not evil, they're criminal, and money is just as valid a motivation for criminal activity as anything else.

That's what I said here:
professorlight said:
...In all the examples of the other evil teams, the goal is never money, it's always something greater, and they want it so bad they think they are right in wanting it, and they should get it: the fiercest opponent is always the one who believes himself to be the good guy...

DorianBlack said:
...money is just as valid a motivation for criminal activity as anything else.
Motivation for criminal activity? certainly.
Good motivation for moving and interesting villains? not so much, but I hope GF proves me wrong, or that there's more to them than just wanting money.

Back