XY Team Flare: Creating a Beautiful World or Having a Secret Motive?

RE: Why do you think Team Flare's goal is money?

Team Flare's actual goal is to make a beautiful world.

I'm guessing in X they're gonna use Xerneas' creation powers to create beautiful landscapes, in Y they might use Yveltal's destruction powers in order to rid the Kalos region of places they deem ugly?

IV's possibly visible/changeable?

Team Flare true goal (just revealed in Coro Coro) is to create a beautiful world.

Seeing as these games have a DNA theme, it is evident that perhaps they will create said world through DNA selection/manipulation.

Notice the 5 leaders are ALL WEARING HIGH-TECH GLASSES.

- Perhaps these glasses enable them to view a Pokemon's DNA in order to see which one's they wish to obtain for their experiments.

- Perhaps they wish to obtain Xerneas/Yveltal in order to create flawless Pokemon using their DNA data, which could mean a way later in the game to increase IV's using their repurposed machines!

This is a very strange development. At first they said it was purely money but now it's to create a beautiful new world.

First off, the beautiful new world reminds me of Cyrus and the DPPT storyline. Hopefully it is more serious/well executed than that Storyline. (Although I will say Platinum's story was top notch). So maybe we have a facade here. They say they just want money but their real motives are to harness some power to re-do the world as they see fit. I'd love to hear more about these 5 Scientists of Team Flare. I am sure they will have a lot to do with the storyline and one will end up being the "boss" figure of the group. Overall I am hoping for more ambitious storytelling but this is Pokemon after all. So we will see.

Ysmir said:
This is a very strange development. At first they said it was purely money but now it's to create a beautiful new world.

First off, the beautiful new world reminds me of Cyrus and the DPPT storyline. Hopefully it is more serious/well executed than that Storyline. (Although I will say Platinum's story was top notch). So maybe we have a facade here. They say they just want money but their real motives are to harness some power to re-do the world as they see fit. I'd love to hear more about these 5 Scientists of Team Flare. I am sure they will have a lot to do with the storyline and one will end up being the "boss" figure of the group. Overall I am hoping for more ambitious storytelling but this is Pokemon after all. So we will see.

I think it should be the other way around, it makes more sense. a group which, publically, want to make the world more beautiful, but secretly, only is after money. after all, the evilness of team flare will be decided on its methods, more than its goal, it seems.

But at least now we know the true theme of the games: not life / death, creation / destruction, but BEAUTY / UGLINESS. That's quite a revelation, I'd say, and it slipped under the radar so far.

With this, this is shaping up to be my favorite gen so far.

I would like it...if Team Flare aren't evil...I think I said that before but in a different way but anyway I just hope they aren't actually evil. Not even misguided evil like Aqua and Magma.

I expect Team Flare to Flare with Flareon or Blaze with Blaziken! :p

I suspect that there's more to Team Flare that meets the eye.

P.DelSlayer said:
One idea I had would be that:
-in X, Flare summon Xerneas to create a new region out of Kalos for them to rule/control
-in Y, Flare summon Yveltal to destroy the Kalos region and they can control it
just a theory, probably won't happen
I'm thinking that maybe in X, they try to use Xerneas to make the Kalos Region more beautiful but they are about to go too far so you have to stop them.
In Pokemon Y, they could use Yveltal to destroy the Kalos Region. (destruction can be beautiful too)

Beauty/Ugliness?
Um.....no.

People have different views on what's ugly and what's beautiful.
Have you seen fashion today? What they consider beautiful, other people see it ugly.
A giant city.
Ugly to some, beautiful to others.
A red desert.
Now, I don't want this to become an argument on what's beautiful and what's not.
I'm saying that the theme is not Beauty/Ugliness.
Determining an entire theme based on a team is quite stupid. Sure, some teams like Aqua and Magma are fit in with the theme. But teams like Plasma do not fit in the theme.

People have different ideas on what is beautiful and what is ugly.
The theme, to me, is Life/Death.

RE: Team FlaCreating a beautiful world or having a secret motive?

98Greener said:
Beauty/Ugliness?
Um.....no.

Have you seen fashion today? What they consider beautiful, other people see it ugly.
A giant city.
A red desert.
Now, I don't want this to become an argument on what's beautiful and what's not.
Determining an entire theme based on a team is quite stupid. Sure, some teams like Aqua and Magma are fit in with the theme. But teams like Plasma do not fit in the theme.

The theme of the game is beauty.

0:51

*Waits for someone to say they translated him wrong or that that's otherwise not what he meant.*

Yveltal has Death (Oblivion) Wing attack, but Xerneas has Geomancy, meaning the theme of the game (as in appearance and sound) is beauty, but not the theme of the story and species.

FloodBadge said:
Yveltal has Death (Oblivion) Wing attack, but Xerneas has Geomancy, meaning the theme of the game (as in appearance and sound) is beauty, but not the theme of the story and species.

Unlike what I said above, what I'm about to say can be argued. Team Flare's theme is definitely beauty. It seems pretty clear to me. Since the game's story is always built around the team I'd say that the theme of the story is beauty as well.

Fee said:
FloodBadge said:

Unlike what I said above, what I'm about to say can be argued. Team Flare's theme is definitely beauty. It seems pretty clear to me. Since the game's story is always built around the team I'd say that the theme of the story is beauty as well.

Yes, the team's main goal IS beauty. It's just that the game isn't always surrounded on the team itself. Rocket was about stealing, and the games Red, Blue, Gold and Silver sure as heck weren't about that.
Plasma wanted to liberate Pokemon. The game wasn't about that either.

RE: Team Flare Creating a beautiful world or having a secret motive?

Fee said:
Unlike what I said above, what I'm about to say can be argued. Team Flare's theme is definitely beauty. It seems pretty clear to me.

So, how would gamefreak implement the theme of Beauty into Team Flare? Also, while I do say that sometimes the team doesn't fit with the overall theme, it can definitely fit with the theme... If Team Flare's theme is Beauty then how would they go about putting it into the Team? Will Team Flare really go overboard in trying to make the region Beautiful or is there something else at work?

With me, I honestly don't know what Team Flare's theme is, but I'd like to hear more from you about the theme.

98Greener said:
Beauty/Ugliness?
Um.....no.

A giant city.
A red desert.

Beauty is subjective, but it's still something that exists, even if its meaning is not completely defined, we all can agree on things that are beautiful, and even if some people disagree, that doesn't make them less beautiful to us.

But I DO have evidence:

professorlight said:
I have this theory about the games, it's also in the corocoro leaks thread, but it won't be of any use there.

I just realized, this news on team flare show the true theme of the games, beauty / ugliness.

- the introduction of fairy type (fairies are mainly perceived as cute creatures, technicalities aside) to fight dragons (not exactly very cute pokemon, in general) and dark (same case).
- the contrast between mewtwo X and mewtwo Y, one very feminine and the other overly masculine.
- the fossils, a rugged t-rex and a vey cute and innocent looking sauropod.
- the mega evos, half are more badass/ugly (lucario, blaziken, blastoise, garchomp oh so much), and half becomes more delicate, feminine and streamlined (mawile, ampharos, absol, charizard)
- the legendaries: a magnificent fairy deer and an evil looking, all around asskicking bird.
- team flare (also a word to describe stuff in fashion, right? or at least flair) are a bunch of very well (HAHAHAHAHAHAHA) dressed... okay, I can't say that... let's say fashion conscious people who apparently want to make the world a more beautiful place (beauty) but they are all about money and greed (ugliness of the soul).
- the fact that gender dimorphism now extends to learnsets, with meowstick being either an aggressive female or a supportive male, an inversion in the usual stereotypes, also, their designs.
- the fact that now player appearance will be important in the game.
- the poodle pokemon uses beauty as a medium to bring changes, we'll see if those are just forms or more than that.
- you can now pet and groom your pokemon and get rewarded for that (as a means to show the beauty in the trainer's soul), let's hope the opposite can happen too.

That and, as fee posted, the word of masuda himself.

98Greener said:
Fee said:

Yes, the team's main goal IS beauty. It's just that the game isn't always surrounded on the team itself. Rocket was about stealing, and the games Red, Blue, Gold and Silver sure as heck weren't about that.

Black and white was about team plasma. natural (free pokemon) vs artificial (pokeballs)? truth versus ideals? black or white? the ideals of N's pokemon liberation vs the truth of "sharing life with pokemon" of the player? or the truth of N's pokemon liberation vs the ideals of "sharing life with pokemon" of the player? there are more subtle things than just water against land, you know? and of course red and gold didn't had a theme, since they were the first games and the story was utter crap. You'll notice that the games that started to have a better defined storyline are coincidentally the same games that have themes.

98Greener said:
Fee said:

The first story was largely about stopping Team Rocket though I guess you can say that some of the story was about the rivalry with Green. It was much more about stopping Team Rocket's schemes though. The Black and White story was all about Team Plasma's ideals and philosophy. The story is always based around the team.

Also the game's theme is beauty because in the video I linked you to Masuda specifically said the theme is beauty. The team's goal isn't why I said the game theme is beauty. It's why I said the story theme is beauty.

Fancy said:
Fee said:
Unlike what I said above, what I'm about to say can be argued. Team Flare's theme is definitely beauty. It seems pretty clear to me.

So, how would gamefreak implement the theme of Beauty into Team Flare? Also, while I do say that sometimes the team doesn't fit with the overall theme, it can definitely fit with the theme... If Team Flare's theme is Beauty then how would they go about putting it into the Team? Will Team Flare really go overboard in trying to make the region Beautiful or is there something else at work?

With me, I honestly don't know what Team Flare's theme is, but I'd like to hear more from you about the theme.

So far I think it's shown in their outfits. As for how it'll be shown in their actions? I don't really know.

professorlight said:
98Greener said:
Beauty/Ugliness?
Um.....no.

A giant city.
A red desert.

Beauty is subjective, but it's still something that exists, even if its meaning is not completely defined, we all can agree on things that are beautiful, and even if some people disagree, that doesn't make them less beautiful to us.

But I DO have evidence:

professorlight said:
I have this theory about the games, it's also in the corocoro leaks thread, but it won't be of any use there.

I just realized, this news on team flare show the true theme of the games, beauty / ugliness.

- the introduction of fairy type (fairies are mainly perceived as cute creatures, technicalities aside) to fight dragons (not exactly very cute pokemon, in general) and dark (same case).
- the contrast between mewtwo X and mewtwo Y, one very feminine and the other overly masculine.
- the fossils, a rugged t-rex and a vey cute and innocent looking sauropod.
- the mega evos, half are more badass/ugly (lucario, blaziken, blastoise, garchomp oh so much), and half becomes more delicate, feminine and streamlined (mawile, ampharos, absol, charizard)
- the legendaries: a magnificent fairy deer and an evil looking, all around asskicking bird.
- team flare (also a word to describe stuff in fashion, right? or at least flair) are a bunch of very well (HAHAHAHAHAHAHA) dressed... okay, I can't say that... let's say fashion conscious people who apparently want to make the world a more beautiful place (beauty) but they are all about money and greed (ugliness of the soul).
- the fact that gender dimorphism now extends to learnsets, with meowstick being either an aggressive female or a supportive male, an inversion in the usual stereotypes, also, their designs.
- the fact that now player appearance will be important in the game.
- the poodle pokemon uses beauty as a medium to bring changes, we'll see if those are just forms or more than that.
- you can now pet and groom your pokemon and get rewarded for that (as a means to show the beauty in the trainer's soul), let's hope the opposite can happen too.

98Greener said:

Black and white was about team plasma. truth versus ideals? black or white? the ideals of N' pokemon liberation vs the truth of the player? or the truth of N's pokemon liberation vs the ideals of sharing of the player?

Oh no.
Evidence! My weakness! (Hah, no.)

There are indeed some good points in there, such as the Mega Evolutions and Fossils, but other stuff like the poodle and character customizations just look like fashion to me. Another something to add to your gameplay experience.

98Greener said:
professorlight said:

But I DO have evidence:

Black and white was about team plasma. truth versus ideals? black or white? the ideals of N' pokemon liberation vs the truth of the player? or the truth of N's pokemon liberation vs the ideals of sharing of the player?

Oh no.
Evidence! My weakness! (Hah, no.)

There are indeed some good points in there, such as the Mega Evolutions and Fossils, but other stuff like the poodle and character customizations just look like fashion to me. Another something to add to your gameplay experience.

HEY DON'T MAKE FUN OF MY WEAKNESS!!! :rolleyes:
But yeah in gold and silver team rocket was just there in every other game the evil team is part of the main theme.

Fee said:
98Greener said:

The first story was largely about stopping Team Rocket though I guess you can say that some of the story was about the rivalry with Green. It was much more about stopping Team Rocket's schemes though. The Black and White story was all about Team Plasma's ideals and philosophy. The story is always based around the team.

Well, now that you mention it, maybe the story is stopping the evil team.
I'm still a bit skeptical on the main theme fitting on beauty.
Why beauty? There's usually a different theme going on in each game.
Gold and Silver: Happiness/Sadness
Ruby and Sapphire: Land/Sea
Diamond and Pearl: Time/Space
Black and White: Truth/Ideals
Why just focus on one theme when the games have been going on with two different themes for years?

98Greener said:
Fee said:

Well, now that you mention it, maybe the story is stopping the evil team.
I'm still a bit skeptical on the main theme fitting on beauty.
Why beauty? There's usually a different theme going on in each game.
Gold and Silver: Happiness/Sadness
Ruby and Sapphire: Land/Sea
Diamond and Pearl: Time/Space
Black and White: Truth/Ideals
Why just focus on one theme when the games have been going on with two different themes for years?

What if Y's is focusing on Beauty and X's focusing on Ugliness.

Fee said:
98Greener said:

Also the game's theme is beauty because in the video I linked you to Masuda specifically said the theme is beauty. The team's goal isn't why I said the game theme is beauty. It's why I said the story theme is beauty.

Fancy said:

So far I think it's shown in their outfits. As for how it'll be shown in their actions? I don't really know.

*notices that you edited your post*
Oh for crying ou-

Okay.
Okay.

He said that they wanted to focus the games desgin ON beauty itself. The outside, the battles, the characters.
He didn't specifically say the theme was beauty.

(Well, he literally DID say it, but you know what I mean!)

Be reminded that, while the subject of beauty might be a recurring motif, this doesn't make it "the" theme (if there is even a single one specifically). The translation explicitly says "we decided to use beauty as a game theme" (although of course he might have said something slightly different in Japanese). It doesn't necessarily mean that the titles will center entirely around it, but rather that it is an important element.

I personally think it will be much more nuanced.

Back