TDK (Thundurus EX / Deoxys EX / Kyurem)

RE: Plasma (Thundurus EX / Deoxys EX with attackers and techs)

littywitty said:
I really like Absol in general, do 170 at max with darkrai and 180 with this deck. But the only time this will be a useful card is when you just plop it down late game, (usually after a knockout) Put a Prism on it, Use Colress Machine, and make quite a revenge kill. So overall, a tech-of is all this guy is gonna get out of this deck.

I know, which is all i use him for, but i do like him better then Snorlax.

MountainDrew said:
I was playing Absol in this deck and it was decent, but I didnt like how easy he was weak to Landorus EX and his hp was too fragile. I took Absol out and replace him with Landorus (Promo) and it has been amazing in here. I can usually match hands with my opponent pretty easily and I can easily get him attacking since I run 8 potential fighting energy and colress machine whereas Absol I only had 4 energy that supported him. My deck didnt have a great Darkrai matchup until I put Landorus in here and I can usually hit a Darkrai for 100-140 turn one which is really strong when his second attack one shots Darkrai. Landorus can also donk Absol if you have the same hand. Landorus is also resistent to lightning which is strong againest Thundurus, but the downside is he's weak to Kyurem. Landorus second attack is great againest Keldeo especially with decks that dont run many switch, because you can trap him active with his second attack and get 2 easy prizes.

So what would the line be for pokemon that you would run with the landy promo? And would you consider a Landy EX instead?

I was running this line up here

3 Thundurus EX
3 Deoxys EX
2 Kyurem
2 Lugia EX
1 Absol

It worked very well but you are right about Absol, even though he is a great tech in. I never thought of the landy promo

Im really liking this deck. Heres a few of the things ive done with it...

3/3 float stone switch line. Havent tested keldeo but i plan on doing so.

4/1 ultra ball plasma ball line. Its too important to get the energies to the discard pile early.

2 tool scrappers. float stone is everywhere, nuff said. Im really lost as to why everyone elses list isnt running them.

My friend is running darkrai with a 3-3 hammer line, and im going about 50-50 with it, maybe 40-60. seems to be my worst match-up for sure.

I only have room in my list for one Tool Scrapper (I have no idea what I would even consider cutting for a second one considering I would probably want to up my Supporters first anyway...), and I have to say, it comes through in clutch moments with or without Skyla. Getting rid of Float Stone can potentially be huge as you can try and trap a Keldeo there with Laser and maybe even get a free kill. Getting rid of random Eviolites/Dark Claws are nice too, as well as Garbodor.

dmaster out.

AjBarnes555 said:
littywitty said:
I really like Absol in general, do 170 at max with darkrai and 180 with this deck. But the only time this will be a useful card is when you just plop it down late game, (usually after a knockout) Put a Prism on it, Use Colress Machine, and make quite a revenge kill. So overall, a tech-of is all this guy is gonna get out of this deck.

MountainDrew said:
I was playing Absol in this deck and it was decent, but I didnt like how easy he was weak to Landorus EX and his hp was too fragile. I took Absol out and replace him with Landorus (Promo) and it has been amazing in here. I can usually match hands with my opponent pretty easily and I can easily get him attacking since I run 8 potential fighting energy and colress machine whereas Absol I only had 4 energy that supported him. My deck didnt have a great Darkrai matchup until I put Landorus in here and I can usually hit a Darkrai for 100-140 turn one which is really strong when his second attack one shots Darkrai. Landorus can also donk Absol if you have the same hand. Landorus is also resistent to lightning which is strong againest Thundurus, but the downside is he's weak to Kyurem. Landorus second attack is great againest Keldeo especially with decks that dont run many switch, because you can trap him active with his second attack and get 2 easy prizes.

So what would the line be for pokemon that you would run with the landy promo? And would you consider a Landy EX instead?

3 Thundurus EX
3 Deoxys EX
2 Kyurem
2 Lugia EX
1 Absol

It worked very well but you are right about Absol, even though he is a great tech in. I never thought of the landy promo

Im running
4- Deoxys
3- Thundurus
1- Landorus
2- Kyurem
1- Snorlax
1- Lugia

I wouldnt consider Lando EX, because he is not Plasma and I dont have room for Plasma Badge.

MountainDrew said:
AjBarnes555 said:

3 Thundurus EX
3 Deoxys EX
2 Kyurem
2 Lugia EX
1 Absol

Im running
4- Deoxys
3- Thundurus
1- Landorus
2- Kyurem
1- Snorlax
1- Lugia

I wouldnt consider Lando EX, because he is not Plasma and I dont have room for Plasma Badge.

any reason for just 1 lugia? and that landorus, its the plasma promo one right? I was only thinking lando ex for spread damage from someone other then kyurem. yes he dont get the bvoost but still can be debilitating, and lands judgement can help load another pokemon if you makke thundy active again.

AjBarnes555 said:
MountainDrew said:
Im running
4- Deoxys
3- Thundurus
1- Landorus
2- Kyurem
1- Snorlax
1- Lugia

any reason for just 1 lugia? and that landorus, its the plasma promo one right? I was only thinking lando ex for spread damage from someone other then kyurem. yes he dont get the bvoost but still can be debilitating, and lands judgement can help load another pokemon if you makke thundy active again.

Imo 1 lugia is a good number if you're going to run him. He's a tech card, not the deck's focus. Anymore than 1 and you run the risk of starting with him more often when he's supposed to be an end game sweeper.

It seems like I start him almost 10-20% of my games and I only run one lol.

But yeah, I don't like more than one. The deck usually can't even charge up more than one during a tight game from what I've found anyway.

dmaster out.

I'm still not sure how to even correctly use Lugia lol. I can never power it up, or I'm against PlasmaKlang FML.

SheNinja said:
I'm still not sure how to even correctly use Lugia lol. I can never power it up, or I'm against PlasmaKlang FML.

Against Plasmaklang you don't use Lugia, you use whatever basic pokemon your deck contains, which may consist of Kyurem, Absol, or Snorlax. It is a bad matchup as Cobalion EX's first attack discards your special energy.

Against other decks, the way I do it I don't try to power up Lugia in one turn. Typically it is not the first attacker I set up; the first attacker I set up is Kyurem. Thundurus' Raiden Knuckle is a good way to get the energy onto Lugia; Colress Machine and Double Colorless Machine are ways to get the required 4 energy quicker, though I have set up Lugia consistently without running DCE.
Once it is set up, you don't expect it to attack more than twice. Unless it's the only attacker you have left, you don't use Lugia unless you can knock out something. Generally, Lugia runs out steam really quickly due to the discard.

tl;dr late game tech, use to kill stuff and take more prizes than normal

^^^^

Try to avoid dropping it except late game. It's great to take those last two-three prizes, but other than that, it can become a liability. It takes a lot of stuff to set up and you have continuously feed it energy if you want to keep it going, which leaves you vulnerable after it goes down. Thundurus EX can also take it down scarily fast (a single Kyurem snipe and Thundurus EX OHKO's with three Deoxys and a hypno).

It's scary as heck dropping it in order to take your Prizes knowing you have about a window of two turns to win. But Lugia is like the honey badger, he just doesn't give a crap. A deficit of three Prizes? No worries, just get Lugia out in order to take five and win. ;p

dmaster out.

That's the main reason to run it. It's just a double edged sword because he's often very difficult to get out and the decks that you can get him out against (Darkrai will just hammer it all away before you get 4 energy) can KO it pretty easily (Mirror and Blastoise).

Is there a valid counter to this deck?

• Highest HP benchsitters with arguably the best ability and its a basic.
  • Fast energy acceleration with a way to recycle special energies.
  • Wins in every prize trade ever with Kyurem (and Lugia).
  • Plasma ball able to search all you need and also benefits from ultra ball discards.
  • Short decklist due to all of pokemons are basic, thus having more room for techs.

Shaxe said:

• Plasma ball able to search all you need and also benefits from ultra ball discards.
  • Short decklist due to all of pokemons are basic, thus having more room for techs.

The trainer supporter line has been hard for me to nail down. like ill play with it 10 times, make a change i think is needed and it completely throws it all out of whack for half the games it seems thn ill play 10 more and the original choices seem better at times. Not sure everyone is having this issue but it has been a problem for me.

An interesting tech I though was the new Crygonal, his first attack lets you search for a water Pokemon, (Kyurem) and also his second attack does 10 damage states that you discard an energy (Thundurus EX) and the defending Pokemon cant attack next turn. His second attack can do a total of 70-80 damage at it's max. (3-4 Deoxys+HTL+Virbank) What do you think of this card in the deck?

Shaxe said:

Klinklang and Darkrai Hammers give this deck a struggle. but if you start thundurus to a landorus and have no way of getting a kyurem in the next couple turns that can spell bad news as well.

Aggressiv said:
Shaxe said:

Klinklang and Darkrai Hammers give this deck a struggle. but if you start thundurus to a landorus and have no way of getting a kyurem in the next couple turns that can spell bad news as well.

Klink can get donked occasionally with 1-2 benched Deoxys and lasers and while hammer discards can be annoying, ultimately it doesn't achieve much against Thundurus. I can see Plasmabox losing against these decks, but they aren't reliable enough and are only soft-counters against Plasmabox and truthfully; I don't see anything able to hard-counter Plasmabox until the next set.

Shaxe said:
Aggressiv said:

Klink can get donked occasionally with 1-2 benched Deoxys and lasers and while hammer discards can be annoying, ultimately it doesn't achieve much against Thundurus. I can see Plasmabox losing against these decks, but they aren't reliable enough and are only soft-counters against Plasmabox and truthfully; I don't see anything able to hard-counter Plasmabox until the next set.

OCCASIONALLY you will get that setup. Maybe 1/30 games or something when vsing Klinklang, will your opponent start with nothing but a klink, you'll start with a thundurus, an energy, a way to get 2 deoxys and a laser, or laserbank. Once Klinklang gets setup TDK olmost auto losses, as previously stated Cobalion discards special energy so the fact that the deck can make an impact without Klinklang should mean something, not to mention that if you do get KK setup Kyurem is the only attacker you have (IMO snorlax and absol are bad), and he's weak to steel.

On another note if you run 2 enhanced hammer in your list, darkrai beats TDK 60/40. From what I've playtested, it's not only the hammers that make a difference, but the fact that all of the attackers (with the exception of a tech lugia) are at 170 hp, a bad number when facing darkrai, and a potentially even worse one when staring down an absol.

Edit:
You have to remember than if you get your energy on thundurus hammered off you'll either
a) have no prism/blend left and be stuck using colorless attackers
or b) have to constantly accelerate energy onto thundurus dealing usually 40-50 damage.

Being one that has been on the recieving end of that, enhanced hammers make a difference when paired up with this deck.

I feel Darkrai/Hammers is more 50-50 than favourable to Darkrai.

Hammers can be annoying, but using Thundurus to hit for 50-60 is annoying and that's damage on the board that Darkrai decks generally find hard to heal. Not to mention he can't use Sableye to grab Enhanced Hammers forever because you will kill the Sableye in 2 attacks (or one with laser). Your goal is to set up a Kyurem to kill his Darkrai that has energy on it. One prize for 2 usually works. The bad part when playing Hammers is when you don't draw into prism/blend energy and then you sit there and can do nothing at all.

Lugia can be useful against Darkrai decks; you wait till they've spent most of their hammers before building it. Since it has 180 hp, chances are it survives to attack twice and that's all you need to take 5 or 6 prizes.

Absol has low HP. It does a lot of damage but it dies quickly so using Kyurem's spread attack to trade does ok.

Of course, the fact that you could get hammered so hard you can't do anything makes up for the huge damage potential on the Plasma side which is why I think it is 50/50.

As for Klinklang: Cobalion EX is a troll. I've run 3 Kyurems and finally feel I have a fighting chance. Any less and you're screwed imo. Absol doesn't work because it has 100 hp and that's how much Cobalion hits. Also against people who set up a Klinklang and attach 3 energy to it, you are dead. If there is a decent fire-type Plasma that could be teched into this deck, it is well worth testing.

This deck has amazing win rate against Big Basic decks, but Garbodor can give it some trouble if you run Keldeo/float stone instead of Switch. Catcher stall can mean you just have to give up a Deoxys EX.

I feel that the metagame is like Plasma > Big Basics > Darkrai = Klinklang > Plasma...

Aggressiv said:
Shaxe said:

OCCASIONALLY you will get that setup. Maybe 1/30 games or something when vsing Klinklang, will your opponent start with nothing but a klink, you'll start with a thundurus, an energy, a way to get 2 deoxys and a laser, or laserbank. Once Klinklang gets setup TDK olmost auto losses, as previously stated Cobalion discards special energy so the fact that the deck can make an impact without Klinklang should mean something, not to mention that if you do get KK setup Kyurem is the only attacker you have (IMO snorlax and absol are bad), and he's weak to steel.

On another note if you run 2 enhanced hammer in your list, darkrai beats TDK 60/40. From what I've playtested, it's not only the hammers that make a difference, but the fact that all of the attackers (with the exception of a tech lugia) are at 170 hp, a bad number when facing darkrai, and a potentially even worse one when staring down an absol.

Edit:
You have to remember than if you get your energy on thundurus hammered off you'll either
a) have no prism/blend left and be stuck using colorless attackers
or b) have to constantly accelerate energy onto thundurus dealing usually 40-50 damage.

Being one that has been on the recieving end of that, enhanced hammers make a difference when paired up with this deck.

I tested Plasmaklang vs Plasmabox quite a bit and I noticed when you don't start with Cobalion EX, you will most likely have a hard time. Even if your Klinks survives T1 donks, if you don't get a Cobalion EX and start discarding by T2, it will get ugly real quick, especially with the slow nature of Plasmaklang decks. Even then, when you manage to setup your Klinklang, it is likely that Kyurem is still able to kill your Klinklang with a catcher because when you start discarding their Thundurus, they can use a turn to attach water/prism on their Kyurem and if you can't disrupt your opponent that turn, he can accelerate with colress machine and turn the tide. To be honest, I feel that the lockdown from Klinklang isn't as powerful against this deck compared to other EX due to Kyurem.

I tried teching 2 enhanced hammers into a Darkrai deck and found it to be quite effective in discarding energies and disrupting the flow but ultimately you lose simply because as mentioned, there's no way to heal those annoying Thundurus attacks.

Back