TDK (Thundurus EX / Deoxys EX / Kyurem)

Blah

DBT
Use this thread for all discussion TDK. This includes strategies, playstyles, and techs. This is not the thread to discuss The Yeti (Thundurus EX / Deoxys EX / Lugia EX). All discussion about that deck should be posted in its respective thread.

You may post decklists here, but only as a means of adding to the discussion. Don't post decklists here for advice.

All discussion not related to the Plasma deck will be moved or deleted. All shallow or uninformed discussion will also be deleted by the mods.

Skeleton List:

Pokémon: 9
  • 4 Deoxys EX
  • 3 Kyurem PLF
  • 2 Thundurus EX
Trainers: 26
  • 4 Professor Juniper
  • 4 N
  • 3 Colress
  • 3 Skyla
  • 3 Ball Cards (Ultra Ball / Plasma Ball)
  • 3 Colress Machine
  • 3 Muscle Band
  • 2 Switching Cards (Switch / Escape Rope)
  • 1 Computer Search
Energy:14
  • 4 Plasma
  • 4 Rainbow
  • 4 Prism
  • 1 Water
  • 1 Lightning
Free Space: 11

Good Additions:
  • Absol PLF
  • Mewtwo EX
  • Virizion EX
  • Genesect EX / Lysandre
    G Booster
  • Surprise Megaphone
  • Shadow Triad
  • Frozen City
  • Fairy Garden
  • Professor's Letter and More Basic Energy

Blui

lv85 paladin
RE: Plasma Box (Thundurus EX / Deoxys EX / Kyurem with techs)

I've been testing this and it is easily one of the best decks there has ever been in Modified, too fast, too consistent, too powerful, what more could you want?
4 Deoxys EX
3 Thundurus EX
3 Kyurem
2 Lugia EX
4 Juniper
4 N
2 Skyla
2 Cheren
4 Plasma Ball
4 Colress Machine
4 Catcher
3 Hypno Laser
3 Float Stone
2 Switch
1 Scramble Switch
2 Virbank City Gym
1 Frozen City
4 WFML Blend Energy
4 Prism Energy
4 Plasma Energy
Total: 60

Does anyone have any ideas to how we counter Klinklang with this? In theory we win, but in testing we die horribly.

petertclo

Ehh I want my B&W back!
Advanced Member

Blui said:
I've been testing this and it is easily one of the best decks there has ever been in Modified, too fast, too consistent, too powerful, what more could you want?
4 Deoxys EX
3 Thundurus EX
3 Kyurem
2 Lugia EX
4 Juniper
4 N
2 Skyla
2 Cheren
4 Plasma Ball
4 Colress Machine
4 Catcher
3 Hypno Laser
3 Float Stone
2 Switch
1 Scramble Switch
2 Virbank City Gym
1 Frozen City
4 WFML Blend Energy
4 Prism Energy
4 Plasma Energy

Does anyone have any ideas to how we counter Klinklang with this? In theory we win, but in testing we die horribly.

1. You might want to tech a Keldeo in your deck to deal with laser problems. Put float stone on Keldeo = free retreat forever.
2. Might want a couple DCE for Lugia and Thundurus.
3. You want ultra ball to discard the special energy so you can attach with Thundurus turn 1. To be honest I'd run 4 Ultra and 2 Plasmaball.
4. I guess the problem with Klinklang is that you lose to Cobalion EX's first attack that discards special energy. If you expect to play against Klinklang a lot, you may want to use some basic lightning energy.

MountainDrew

Wishes Mega Umbreon would exist

Does anyone think that Garchomp may come back being able to discard energy againest this deck while also being able to knockout Snorlax and Kyurem with Dragon Blade 100+30 laser damage=130.

Mora

Don't Panic

Discarding energy shouldn't be too much a problem when your accelerating Special Energy from the discard. Unless it's a devoted Hammertime, but then again, what deck isn't effected by that.

Machamp The Champion

TCG Articles Head

Blui said:
4 Deoxys EX
3 Thundurus EX
3 Kyurem
2 Lugia EX
4 Juniper
4 N
2 Skyla
2 Cheren
4 Plasma Ball
4 Colress Machine
4 Catcher
3 Hypno Laser
3 Float Stone
2 Switch
1 Scramble Switch
2 Virbank City Gym
1 Frozen City
4 WFML Blend Energy
4 Prism Energy
4 Plasma Energy

Are you referring to yourself as we? I didn't know you were royalty, Blui :p lol jk jk

Is the problem that they can discard your energy, or that Kyurem can't take the whole deck down by itself? You could try Snorlax, or maybe Espeon from Dark Explorers, combined with other Eeveelutions from Plasma Freeze.

RogueChomp

Team DBT

MountainDrew said:
Does anyone think that Garchomp may come back being able to discard energy againest this deck while also being able to knockout Snorlax and Kyurem with Dragon Blade 100+30 laser damage=130.

Donkability is too high (I like that word :3)

This deck is very cruel. One shots like everything, with a a non ex. That's why I want to counterdeck it :p.

It's good, definitely.

Blah

DBT
RE: Plasma Box (Thundurus EX / Deoxys EX with attackers and techs)

Cruel is a good word to describe this lol. It can do crazy damage on T1 or 2 and just keeps up the pressure the whole game. One of the most annoying things about it is that you can't use the 7th prize rule to get around it's speed; Lugia can change that math whenever it wants to. The deck just has everything going for it- speed, energy acceleration, extremely high damage output, non-ex attackers, and no glaring weaknesses. It's only real downfall is it sometimes has trouble with consistency and Enhanced Hammers annoy it to no end.

Also I changed the title because apparently people are using this to some success without any Kyurem.

grantm1999

VileGar

RogueChomp said:
Donkability is too high (I like that word :3)

Which word do you like again? High? Or "donkability"?

I lol'd but keep the discussion on topic :p - Blah

RogueChomp

Team DBT

I was referring to "is".
Lol was that really worth a post?

Bo$$_89

Two Posts a Day Kept the Trolls Away

RogueChomp said:
I was referring to "is".
Lol was that really worth a post?

Was that worth a post?

On topic, how often do you guys actually use Lugia? I can't tell if it's the main attacker, or just a cool late game thing.

RogueChomp

Team DBT

Its a cool late game thing.
And I was answering his question

miniman

It's Blissey Time

What do you guys think about a more 'techy' version of standard Thundurus-Deoxys?
It keeps all the consistency and makes some match-ups a lot easier. The Pokemon lines can be changed and altered to better suit your metagame or playstyle.

Pokemon - 13
3 Thundurus EX
4 Deoxys EX
2 Lugia EX
1 Keldeo EX
1 Plasma Kyurem (BW8)
1 Snorlax (Plasma)
1 Sigilyph

S/S/T 34
2 Virbank/Frozen City (depends on preference)
4x Professor Juniper
3x N
2x Bianca
2x Colress
2x Skyla
4 Corless Machine
4 Pokemon Catcher
4 Hypnotoxic Laser
3 Plasma Ball
2 Ultra Ball
1 Float Stone
1 Scramble Switch

Energy 13
4 Plasma
4 Prism
3 Blend WFLM
2 DCE

Machamp The Champion

TCG Articles Head

miniman said:
What do you guys think about a more 'techy' version of standard Thundurus-Deoxys?
It keeps all the consistency and makes some match-ups a lot easier. The Pokemon lines can be changed and altered to better suit your metagame or playstyle.

Pokemon - 13
3 Thundurus EX
4 Deoxys EX
2 Lugia EX
1 Keldeo EX
1 Plasma Kyurem (BW8)
1 Snorlax (Plasma)
1 Sigilyph

S/S/T 34
4x Professor Juniper
3x N
2x Bianca
2x Colress
2x Skyla
4 Corless Machine
4 Pokemon Catcher
4 Hypnotoxic Laser
3 Plasma Ball
2 Ultra Ball
1 Float Stone
1 Scramble Switch

Energy 13
4 Plasma
4 Prism
3 Blend WFLM
2 DCE

Well, the way you describe it, why WOULDN'T you play it?

That deck definitely doesn't have enough ways to Switch. If you're facing Garbodor, or either your Float Stone or Keldeo is prized, or you have to Juniper away your Float Stone, you basically have no way to move your active Pokemon, other then manually retreating. Which is a problem when you run Kyurem with it's three retreat, and Snorlax with it's... *shudders.

And which match up does Sigilyph help in exactly?

miniman

It's Blissey Time

Machamp the Champion said:
miniman said:

Pokemon - 13
3 Thundurus EX
4 Deoxys EX
2 Lugia EX
1 Keldeo EX
1 Plasma Kyurem (BW8)
1 Snorlax (Plasma)
1 Sigilyph

S/S/T 34
4x Professor Juniper
3x N
2x Bianca
2x Colress
2x Skyla
4 Corless Machine
4 Pokemon Catcher
4 Hypnotoxic Laser
3 Plasma Ball
2 Ultra Ball
1 Float Stone
1 Scramble Switch

Energy 13
4 Plasma
4 Prism
3 Blend WFLM
2 DCE

Well, the way you describe it, why WOULDN'T you play it?

That deck definitely doesn't have enough ways to Switch. If you're facing Garbodor, or either your Float Stone or Keldeo is prized, or you have to Juniper away your Float Stone, you basically have no way to move your active Pokemon, other then manually retreating. Which is a problem when you run Kyurem with it's three retreat, and Snorlax with it's... *shudders.

And which match up does Sigilyph help in exactly?

I personally never found the switch problem/lack of switch to be overly painful for the deck, but at times it can be. So Sigilyph could be dropped for the extra float stone, but in general the tech depend on your metagame. Quick thing on snorlax it should never be on the bench, you drop snorlax then scramble switch so that problem never arises

Also with this deck you should be able to apply early game pressure to Garbodor so that can't lock you up or so you have a way to get out of the lock (which is at times easier said than done).

Sigilyph is a universal counter that can help in a lot of match-up, but it can be dropped for

Blui

lv85 paladin

Machamp the Champion said:
Is the problem that they can discard your energy, or that Kyurem can't take the whole deck down by itself? You could try Snorlax, or maybe Espeon from Dark Explorers, combined with other Eeveelutions from Plasma Freeze.

Not the energy, just with even 3 Kyurem I miss OHKOs because I've ran out of lasers. I tested with Snorlax and DCE but I hated both, even with all the acceleration it's a pain. I'll try out Espeon, but I think that it's too easy to kill.
(Although I am testing against RaichuGirl's list with 4 Max Potion)

neotype13

Aspiring Trainer

Hi, newbie player here. im planning to build this deck as my first tier-1 deck. im just wondering how are its match-ups against common decks in today's meta like blastoise/keldeo, Big Basics, RayElls, darkrai and Kling klang.

Basing from the decklist, i think i would be at an disadvantage against Kling klang because half of your attackers are EX and they also have Cobalion EX to destroy your energy cards. i was just thinking if perhaps adding a lightning energy could help improve its matchup, at least for the first few turns where cobalion EX first attack's effect to defending a Thunderus ex with lightning energy is negated. only problem is how you get that lightning energy in the first few turns and i doubt supporters arent enough

thanks.

DrunkSpinda

Awakening!

Well, it pretty much outruns every deck in the meta, Big Basics is the only one that's fast enough, but gets destroyed due to type disadvantages. Klinklang may prove a not-so-favorable match-up for this, due to the points you already raised

Mora

Don't Panic

Is this going to be the deck that everyone (and by everyone, I mean ~everyone) is playing except for Klinklang? Is this format going to be about as boring as Darkrai vs Zeel?

DrunkSpinda

Awakening!

Nop, the deck is not unbeatable. But some weird techs are gonna be in the order of the day