TCG Codes "Redeemed" Scam on Ebay?

MrSquarepants

Heavenly Illusion Star
Hey. I sold some dude in Argentina some codes online and he says they are already used apparently. I don't have the stupid program to check the codes before I use them because it's slow as a cheap skateboard from Wal-mart. Since I couldn't check the codes beforehand I can't tell if he's lying. He claims that out of 18 codes and the Delphox promo code, the last 10 of the codes I sent him didn't work.

I mean is it possible the factory types in the same exact code by mistake?

The codes I sent him were brand new and I have never even typed them. I'm penny pinching right now so I'm pretty peeved that I am going have to issue a refund that which could be a scam or Factory error.

What can I do at this point? I am probably going to have give him free codes or a refund, but any thoughts?

Blah

DBT
Keeping seller integrity > trying to get a few bucks

It sucks, but unfortunately you're in an impossible position because you have no way to verify the codes were new to begin with. Refunding him for the 10 codes seems like the only option (or giving him new codes, same difference). He might be a total scammer, but there isn't any way to prove it and risking your integrity as a seller isn't worth it.

Glace

Top 8, Worlds 2013
Advanced Member
Don't sell codes to foreign countries - it is much harder to get your money back. I got ripped by some guy from Brazil.

Definitely a scam.

MrSquarepants

Heavenly Illusion Star
Blah said:
Keeping seller integrity > trying to get a few bucks

It sucks, but unfortunately you're in an impossible position because you have no way to verify the codes were new to begin with. Refunding him for the 10 codes seems like the only option (or giving him new codes, same difference). He might be a total scammer, but there isn't any way to prove it and risking your integrity as a seller isn't worth it.

He got upset when I asked him to wait a day so I could investigate. He threatened to open a case which raised a red flag. I was going to send him new codes but then realized he could still open a case and get a full refund on top of the extra codes... so I sent a partial refund. I should have figured 15$ for 18 codes was too good to be true.

Reason I sell codes worldwide is to increase the amount of bidders. Now I have to take a video proving the codes work before I send them. -.-;

Anyway the dude was definitely lying. I ended up downloading the game and the Greninja EX code and 18 other codes worked. However I decided that it still wasn't safe to send him the codes or proof of the codes so I kept it and send a partial refund. Case closed I guees.

MrSquarepants

Heavenly Illusion Star
The username is tonnyzatta for those who are curious. He has about 20 feedback points, mostly from sellers who leave good feedback after receiving fast payment.

Patriots Fan

Collector
Yeah, you definitely got scammed. It sucks, and unfortunately eBay sides with the buyer almost 100% of the time, so scammers have very good odds of getting away with stuff like this.

I've only sold online TCG codes once, and I made sure to record myself double-checking the codes to make sure they were new, and I also included in my listing (in bold letters) something along the lines of "Don't bother lying that the codes are used, I've already double-checked and recorded a video showing that they work". It seemed to work, and luckily the buyer who won the auction had around 500 positive feedback, so I didn't have to worry about getting scammed.

I must add, though, that I'm not 100% sure that eBay would accept a video you record as proof that the codes are unused. I've read over what they normally accept as proof when you're defending yourself from SNAD cases opened against you, and didn't see anything saying that they'd accept video recordings.

adam44

Aspiring Trainer
Does a video like that really proof that the codes are unused, though?
Because you could've as well used them after the recorded video.

Auride

Periodic Visitor
adam44 said:

The more secure you want to be, the more thorough you need to be. Best I can think of would be to record the video AFTER selling the product, and then keep a continuous capture of you packaging everything and so on.

That's clearly a bit absurd, but there's not much you can do short of absolutely proving that you're right. Otherwise ebay will side with the buyer.

The parallel honestly seems a lot simpler: have the buyer record from opening the package through registering every code. Sadly, things aren't that simple.

The other option is, as said above, to simply yield and offer refunds or replacements. If you build in enough of a margin (like retailers do) this isn't a problem, but it's unfortunate that it has to happen at all...

MrSquarepants

Heavenly Illusion Star
Hah, actually I doubt that ebay gives two poops about me recording a video as proof. It is mostly as a bluff which hopefully if they see that I have evidence it works they will be turn afraid to open a case thinking that ebay will side with me. I am pretty sure ebay won't even bother looking at the video for details and just say "eh the buyer's right let's just give him a refund case closed! and now back to meh donuts! Oh god damn another case... okay here we go... and... refunded! Done!"

As for recording, I am using several clocks with dates on them, the PC's clock, my smart phone, my watch and my TV so they see the date and time. Only takes about a minute to get those shots in. and then a quick shot of all of the codes used, except if there's more than 10 then I have to type them in... record the clocks again... and then the last set of 8 (I sell them in lots of 18). It's kind of a hassle but I'll feel good about it if that situation pops up again.

Honestly though I think I'll just look at feedback and base my decision on that before I accept payment from low score buyers. If I don't like their score I simply refund them and let them know there was a problem with the codes, and second chance offer to someone else.

Patriots Fan

Collector
Auride said:
adam44 said:

The more secure you want to be, the more thorough you need to be. Best I can think of would be to record the video AFTER selling the product, and then keep a continuous capture of you packaging everything and so on.

That's clearly a bit absurd, but there's not much you can do short of absolutely proving that you're right. Otherwise ebay will side with the buyer.

The parallel honestly seems a lot simpler: have the buyer record from opening the package through registering every code. Sadly, things aren't that simple.

The other option is, as said above, to simply yield and offer refunds or replacements. If you build in enough of a margin (like retailers do) this isn't a problem, but it's unfortunate that it has to happen at all...
Call me absurd then, cuz that's exactly what I did :p
They probably wouldn't care if we record videos tbh, but I still do it, just in case.

MrSquarepants said:
Hah, actually I doubt that ebay gives two poops about me recording a video as proof. It is mostly as a bluff which hopefully if they see that I have evidence it works they will be turn afraid to open a case thinking that ebay will side with me. I am pretty sure ebay won't even bother looking at the video for details and just say "eh the buyer's right let's just give him a refund case closed! and now back to meh donuts! Oh god damn another case... okay here we go... and... refunded! Done!"

As for recording, I am using several clocks with dates on them, the PC's clock, my smart phone, my watch and my TV so they see the date and time. Only takes about a minute to get those shots in. and then a quick shot of all of the codes used, except if there's more than 10 then I have to type them in... record the clocks again... and then the last set of 8 (I sell them in lots of 18). It's kind of a hassle but I'll feel good about it if that situation pops up again.

Honestly though I think I'll just look at feedback and base my decision on that before I accept payment from low score buyers. If I don't like their score I simply refund them and let them know there was a problem with the codes, and second chance offer to someone else.
Yeah, can't be too safe with these punks :/

SotS

Cycling the Stress Away
Oh man, eBay scams.

My dad and I just had an attempted scam this past March. It wasn't on cheap little code cards though. Oh, no no no. It was on a $150 3DS XL.

Okay so: I got a Zelda Limited Edition 3DS XL for Christmas. However, I was occupied with other stuff and didn't actually open the thing for a number of weeks. Finally opened it in February, and sold off the game code that came with it (already owned A Link Between Worlds). I figured that I'd throw my old XL up for sale as well, since I was already on eBay. Gave the listing tracking, Two-Day Priority Mail, Insurance, Delivery Confirmation, and any other coverage possible. Came up to something like $16 shipping for a small little box that couldn't have weighed but a little over a pound or so, and there were extra fees on top of that to come to about $18 for me. The protection I had on that one item was insane. But it was an expensive sale, and I wanted to make sure it was safe from our Post Office all the way to the recipients doorstep.

Two days pass, the item has been delivered. Just waiting on the buyer to leave feedback. My dad calls me over and asks, "Have you bought anything lately? Did it cost $150?"

The * had opened up a case against us stating that they never received the item. There was tracking, it was delivered, it was FRIGGIN SIGNED FOR. Yet here we were, being fought against for an "undelivered item."

We knew that the case wasn't even a case, honestly. It was like that kid with chocolate all over his face that claims he didn't eat your candy bar behind your back. But it withheld $150 from my dad's PayPal account for... I think it was four days? And there was nothing we could do but wait on eBay to rule it over.

One of our most annoying experiences with PayPal or eBay in a looooong while. It shouldn't have even been possible for him to open the case. Their was clear proof in their system that showed he was a lying scammer. But nope, go ahead and hold our funds.

I don't WANT to try and think about how livid I would have been if the buyer of the game code tried to pull the same stunt. That would have been a $40 nightmare with no proof.