Super Smash Bros. 3DS/Wii U

RogueChomp

Team DBT
Ryu and Roy look siiiiiiiick. They included so many complex strats with Ryu.
So many people on the server now though tryna download them :(

SotS

Cycling the Stress Away
Not feeling those prices. Mario Kart 8 spoiled me on the idea of Nintendo DLC. But it's Roy. How can you not buy Roy?

I'll buy every FE character

thegrovylekid

Makes fake cards
a sad fact about Ryu: His full hop does not cover enough vertical distance to land on the lower platform of Dream Land 64. You have to Full hop + Neutral b, Shoryuken, or Double jump to reach it.

Teal

黄前さん らしい ね
CHgThOpWsAAnhNV.jpg
CHgThOpWsAAnhNV.jpg

CHgThOpWsAAnhNV.jpg
CHgThOpWsAAnhNV.jpg

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CHgThOpWsAAnhNV.jpg
I bought Ryu & the Inkling costume even though I hardly play Smash (and suck at it).

This is a great Inkling Girl Mii (the one I use in the pic above), highly recommend it:
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CHgThU5WsAEadFf.png

Can't post the pics for some reason so links it is.
CHgThOpWsAAnhNV.jpg

CHgThU5WsAEadFf.png

Pinecone

A Pinecone on the Beach
Ryu is cool and all, but 1/10th the price of the original game for a single character, a stage, and a few extras? By the end of the year, people could have spent more on the DLC than the game itself, and the content they paid more for will be a fraction of what they got on disc. These DLC characters also have no special moves making them feel like incomplete characters.

I'm not a big fan of DLC in general, it feels too much like being upsold and can lead to shady, unprovable pre-production decisions. Nintendo hasn't been horrible, but they can cross that line in an instant.

DevinTheWelf

A Mach Punch User
Ryu is cool and all, but 1/10th the price of the original game for a single character, a stage, and a few extras? By the end of the year, people could have spent more on the DLC than the game itself, and the content they paid more for will be a fraction of what they got on disc. These DLC characters also have no special moves making them feel like incomplete characters.

I'm not a big fan of DLC in general, it feels too much like being upsold and can lead to shady, unprovable pre-production decisions. Nintendo hasn't been horrible, but they can cross that line in an instant.

I think because of the time and effort put into the character's, and how much they add to the game (like how they effect the meta game and such) it's worth the couple bucks. My way of seeing it is that if you have the oney to buy a 3ds and the game, if you REALLY want the character (which you don't really even need to buy) then you can do it.

As for my opinion on the new DLC characters, I'm surprisingly to myself, most hype about Ryu. This si coming from someone who has NEVER owned a Street Fighter game. He just looks like a very fun character to play, and seems to have a very different play style compared to any current SSB4 character.

Blah

DBT
I downloaded all three (huge smash fan and am going to want all of the characters at some point eventually, so I decided I might as well get them all at once). Quick analysis from someone who has tried to pay attention to the metagame (note that this is me having fun doing a review of some new characters--don't take this as like super-pro analysis especially since they were released today):

Ryu: He has a lot of cool combo stuff and his aerials are all ridiculous (forward air is crazy good), and the strong/weak attacks give you a lot of options. The biggest problem is that his side-b moves at an extremely predictable trajectory, so when you have to use it to recover, 90% of the characters in the game can easily punish it or simply spike and kill you right there. There are also a lot of awkward moments where you input the button codes and do a move you completely didn't mean to, and although this can be fixed with practice, given how many things you need to focus on at once in a game of smash, you're likely going to accidentally input some of them from time to time, which can lose you games. Limited aerial mobility also makes it hard to utilize the crazy good aerials. He's good, but I can't see him being up there with Sheik/Diddy/Rosalina.

Lucas: Again, has some super good aerials including an absolutely insane neutral air. Forward smash is really quick, nice for punishing especially when a lot of his moves are incredibly slow (albeit powerful, like up-smash). His projectiles are good, but PK freeze is slow and predictable, the up-b (whatever it's called) is a lot slower then Ness's, and although the side B is fast and puts a lot of distance between Lucas and the opponent if it hits, it just doesn't hit hard enough to really allow Lucas to camp well. Throws can kill at high percents, but not as crazy as Ness and you really need to be near the edge of the stage. Overall, he's alright, probably middle of the pack. He's just too slow to keep up with the top, and I think Ness is better than him in almost every way.

Roy: He feels like a Marth with stronger attacks and an up smash that can actually hit things. Not much more to say, almost all of the moves are extremely similar to Marth/Lucina except some fire is added (and the neutral b is different entirely). Having the base of the sword do more damage is a little awkward, since the FE characters tend to like keeping a bit of distance and simply beating out other characters' range, but it's not a huge deal. Probably high-mid tier.

I'm a bit of a pessimist, lol. They're still all really fun (ryu and lucas especially have some really awesome looking combos and lucas's up-smash is SO satisfying to hit with).

King Arceus

Aspiring Trainer
Elite Member
Advanced Member
This morning I just beat All Star on Hard with Roy and got a new high score slightly over 3 million. The GSP is 3.081M.

Professor Palutena

The Queen
What's your list based on? For Glory? Your local tournament scene? PokeBeach wifi? National scale tournaments? Something else?

If you're trying to make something like Smashboards/SSBWiki and tier the characters on international performance, it's all factually wrong after your top 3.

Blah

DBT
The biggest flaw I see other than Bowser being much higher than he should be (I mentioned this in an earlier post, he's not necessarily bad standalone, but he has a lot of crappy matchups and very few approach options against characters like Sheik and Rosalina) is the huge difference between Marth and Lucina--and Marth should be higher than Lucina. Yes, Lucina does a lot of damage and doesn't require as much precision as Marth, but that argument goes out the window given how INSANE Marth's tipper is--killing at stupidly small percents with forward smash and breaking shields instantly with neutral b. After all, much of the FE character play style is to be outspacing your opponent anyway--if they're not at the tip, you've likely made a fundamental mistake (Roy being the exception here). At the very least, both Marth and Lucina should be closer to the middle--Marth isn't that bad, and Lucina isn't A tier. I'd also argue R.O.B and Ryu should be somewhat higher, and I don't actually think Little Mac is at the bottom--he just seems so bad because everyone online plays him in a really spammy silly way (I think low C or high D seems more reasonable). To be honest, it's pretty hard to pinpoint tier placings after A tier because those characters see very little play, although I would shift a few things around other than what I mentioned

Edit: Oh, I'd say Lucas is much lower as well, even though does have a 0-death combo (that's likely going to get patched soon). It's extremely difficult to pull off, and the rest of Lucas besides his aerials and f-smash is only decent.

Last edited:

PMJ

happy thoughts
Forum Head
Articles Head
Elite Member
Advanced Member
>tiering dlc characters within a week of their release

tier list confirmed garbage

PMJ

happy thoughts
Forum Head
Articles Head
Elite Member
Advanced Member
No sarcasm. Your list is worthless. At the very least it should not include any DLC character. Maaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaybe Mewtwo, but still.

Empoleon_master

I can stop watching Anime any time I don't want to
I'm looking for 2-3 people with the 3ds version to test a theory I have about Mewtwo, I just want to see if Metwo's shadow ball can indeed break through reflective attacks if the amount it's reflected reaches a certain number. I've tested this with a random for glory person that was nice and tested it with me playing Mewtwo and them as Mario and the highest number of reflections I could get was about 4-5 total, before Mewtwo's own reflect attack showed the animation etc, but still had Mewtwo die horribly in one shot.

What I want to test is this:
1: You have 1 Mewtwo and 2 Foxes, the Foxes are at opposite side of the stage and constantly holding down B
2: Mewtwo charges up shadow ball and releases it at the Fox furthest from it, and the hides behind the nearest Fox.
3: The shadow ball with either get reflected enough until it A dissipates, or B somehow breaks through the reflective attack because reasons.
4: (optional) After a number of reflections a Villager comes in and Pockets the Shadow Ball of Death and then unleashes it against a Fox/Mewtwo to see if the increased damage it got via being reflected is kept when the Shadow Ball is Pocketed.
5: (optional) *WARNING THIS WILL PROBABLY CAUSE A DISCONNECTION* instead of the 4th player being a Villager, they play as a third Fox, this Fox jumps into the reflection pit of DOOM with the Shadow Ball being constantly reflected, and goes in front of a Fox while holding down B, this will then allow the Fox they replaced to do the same, over and over until there are 2 Foxes right beside each other constantly reflecting a single Shadow Ball. This will either make weird ****** happen (like the black hole glitch in Melee), or make the game say something like "******** this I'm outta here" and then cause a disconnection error...or possibly cause one to all four of the people's games to either crash, or lock up.

If anyone wants to test any of this with me, please post your FC to my wall.

King Arceus

Aspiring Trainer
Elite Member
Advanced Member
I'm fairly certain it does indeed break Fox and Falco's reflect once it gets to a certain strength. Ness' bat attack I believe the lag time is increased as the projectile is stronger. I had seen a video on Youtube, but I can't find it right now.

King Arceus

Aspiring Trainer
Elite Member
Advanced Member
Earlier I finally beat 9.0 with Roy, although my score wasn't as high as the other character's I've done that with because I had a couple deaths. I've noticed you tend to get around 20,000 less points if you lose a stock on a stage. I do wish they would've had bonuses like Single Move, Hawk, etc. because it makes the gamemore enjoyable to try and get lots of bonuses.

PMJ

happy thoughts
Forum Head
Articles Head
Elite Member
Advanced Member
Speaking of tiers, has smashboards put out a tier list for this game or nah?

Empoleon_master

I can stop watching Anime any time I don't want to
I'm looking for 2-3 people with the 3ds version to test a theory I have about Mewtwo, I just want to see if Metwo's shadow ball can indeed break through reflective attacks if the amount it's reflected reaches a certain number. I've tested this with a random for glory person that was nice and tested it with me playing Mewtwo and them as Mario and the highest number of reflections I could get was about 4-5 total, before Mewtwo's own reflect attack showed the animation etc, but still had Mewtwo die horribly in one shot.

What I want to test is this:
1: You have 1 Mewtwo and 2 Foxes, the Foxes are at opposite side of the stage and constantly holding down B
2: Mewtwo charges up shadow ball and releases it at the Fox furthest from it, and the hides behind the nearest Fox.
3: The shadow ball with either get reflected enough until it A dissipates, or B somehow breaks through the reflective attack because reasons.
4: (optional) After a number of reflections a Villager comes in and Pockets the Shadow Ball of Death and then unleashes it against a Fox/Mewtwo to see if the increased damage it got via being reflected is kept when the Shadow Ball is Pocketed.
5: (optional) *WARNING THIS WILL PROBABLY CAUSE A DISCONNECTION* instead of the 4th player being a Villager, they play as a third Fox, this Fox jumps into the reflection pit of DOOM with the Shadow Ball being constantly reflected, and goes in front of a Fox while holding down B, this will then allow the Fox they replaced to do the same, over and over until there are 2 Foxes right beside each other constantly reflecting a single Shadow Ball. This will either make weird ****** happen (like the black hole glitch in Melee), or make the game say something like "******** this I'm outta here" and then cause a disconnection error...or possibly cause one to all four of the people's games to either crash, or lock up.

If anyone wants to test any of this with me, please post your FC to my wall.
I tested this today with my friends at league, the shadow ball will reflect only twice via Fox before instantly killing the one that reflected it in the first place. However my test was very short and I really would like to do more, with variations on what happens.

Jungletoad

Aspiring Trainer
What are people's opinions on the new Mii outfits? Saw that a bunch of people over at Smashboards were angered by some of them, particularly King K. Rool (DK) and for some reason, Lloyd Irving (Tales of Symphonia). Would be interesting to hear your opinions on this.

Attachments

• upload_2015-8-3_16-10-46.png
    upload_2015-8-3_16-10-46.png
    216.9 KB · Views: 3