Pokemon Sugimori Hints Gen. VII Will Be Much More Simple

RE: Sugimori hints Gen 7 will be much more simple

bacon said:
If I could make just one change, I would...

Allow a free roaming, non-linear main campaign.

One of the fun elements of any RPG is exploration, but in Pokemon this is currently being abandoned for a "more streamlined" approach. Linear maps began in BW1 and have continued to XY, with the player typically unable to progress to the next town if they haven't defeated the gym leader. For an RPG, which really should be rewarding the player for exploration, it's bad game feel. You only really get rewarded for exploration post game (e.g. Mewtwo and Zygarde in XY), but I'd love for there to be juicy secrets along the main campaign too.

HMs are currently being used to allow you to progress along the linear campaign. I wish the designers would pull a Metroid and reward the player for revisiting previous areas which can be opened up further once you acquire the relevant power-up or HM. RBY has good examples of this, such as the power plant and the Jynx trade (or is it Mr Mime?).

Playing the XY campaign isn't truly rewarding because you're not discovering things on your own merit, you're simply being told what to do on a linear setup.

I couldn't agree more, and I think now that the overworld is full 3d they have the ability to really make bigger, sprawling worlds, and HMs is one of the things I think would be perfect for streamlining, since they make the game more complicated, not simple.
And the exploration in open world is absolutely true, especially in a game like pokemon, where the freedom of choice to make your team is the heart of the game; in metroid you have a limited number of weapons/items to choose, and all are linear, but in pokemon you should get what you want whenever you want, not wait until you have a full team of level 60s and you find a pokemon you want to use.

Also, a broader world would allow them to make the kind of bad stories they are making now, since the focus will definitely go from following the (crappy, in this case) plot to explore, do stuff and take part on challenges, a real adventure.

Leaf_Ranger said:
OH, YES THEY SHOULD! Mega-Evolution divided the fans and is nothing but simple, requiring a bracelet, bonding and a stone. Not only that, it's temporary and it may be one of the reasons why Gen. VI has so few new Pokémon, not to say that some of the designs are ridiculous and it was a wasted effort when things like branched evolutions or adding an evolution could be used (according to the Pokémon in question). For the love of Arceus, Charizard and Mewtwo got two Mega-evolutions, something that wasn't even needed in the first place.

Why on earth would you want to revisit the dull, generic previous regions? that would be going backwards, not forward.Making regions based in real world places gives them a base to start, more cohesion, and a shout-out to their players in that region. The world is much more than japan, or the classic mountain town, big city, snowy town, island town, etc.
In the customization, they need to lose so much color options and focus in more clothing variety, XY was a good first try, now they should get serious.

Mega evolution divided the fans as much as the fairy type did, do they have to get rid of fairies too? And, except for you, I haven't heard many people complaining about megas or fairies, Actually, I've heard more people wishing megas for certain pokemon or disliking certain megas than hating the entire concept.
Yes, megaevolution is NOT simple, they dropped the ball on that; they tried to make it a plot point to show its importance, so the slow-ass first half of the game revolves around that, and it's not even discovering it, it's just going to the place of the guy who is already an expert, and mentor of sycamore (you know, the guy who f****** sent you in the first place) and just asking what the hell it is. it's bad pacing and mistaken priorities, and it is complex, you must have the bracelet, the pokemon must have a stone, they should have streamlined that by:
-ditching the bracelet
-needing only the megastone, full friendship and affection in amie in order to megaevolve to guarantee you have to work a little to get that game-breaking megaevolution.
-giving you your first megaevolution at the climax of the story, the battle against the champion. Previously you can't pull it off, with any pokemon. during and after the battle, you are awarded with the ability to megaevolve, and can use it in battles and the postgame, wi-fi battles would separate those who beat the league and those who didn't, of course.

The few pokemon was due to time constraints, and it isn't such a bad thing, for old people like me, it means less names to remember, and in a game crawling with older pokemon from every single generation AND the god damn 1st gen starters, do you think the 150 new pokemon (even froakie, chespin and fennekin) would have had the protagonism they deserved?

It could be that GF is really changing the timetable, releasing 80 pokemon gens every two years, to keep it fresh, instead of bombarding us with 150 and then wait 4 years, filling us with useless spinoffs, remakes and third versions that are basically the same damn game with some bells and whistles.

With technology as it is, I think generation divisions might become more and more transparent, leading eventually to a single, overarching generation. Like professorlight brought up, I wouldn't be mad if a streamlined experience involved less Pokémon introduced every couple of years versus larger numbers every 3 or 4. Gamefreak is entirely unpredictable though, so I'm not getting my hopes up for anything.

DNA, you aren't in the position to judge, especially since you haven't played the game.
Well, I didn't quit Pokemon a month before X/Y came out for no reason. I predicted X/Y would be an unfinished largely incomplete game riddled with problems. I was right.
X/Y would have been probably better if they didn't rush it. Though, I am waiting for them to remove mechanics like IVs and the like. That would be nice. If Gen 7 has IVs removed, it might be enough of an incentive for me to play this currently terrible franchise again.

As far as HMs and IVs go, I think they are a good idea, but they haven't evolved along with the rest of the game.

There's nothing inherently wrong with the idea of breeding for better Pokemon. Pokemon is a game based around raising creatures to help fulfill the trainer's goals, and the concept of breeding fits that concept like a glove. Turning crappy mongrels you caught in the wild to pedigree super stars fits right at home in an RPG, because it's centralised around growing stronger. It makes sense and it should be fun.

The same goes for HMs. I don't see anything wrong with the concept, and I think it's great and inventive that Pokemon can help you outside of battle. HMs serve as a way of opening up the map and exploring the region in cool new ways. If anything, I wish there were more HMs.

These mechanics aren't outdated, they're just not very well executed in the current games. The only change I see that needs to be made to the breeding system is to make the mechanics less obscure, and possibly provide more options for what you get out of breeding. As far as HMs go, they are an amazing idea, but make no sense in a linear campaign. If you had a free roaming world that opened up as you acquired HMs, they would be far more appreciated. That was the original vision for them, and you can tell that if you play RBY. But as GF have pushed for an easier and lazier main campaign HMs have become progressively pointless.

I think IV's and breeding is one aspect that makes pokemon interesting to play in the post-game. Building stronger team through breeding is really fun, as well as searching pokemon with good IV. I know it's sounded complicated but gen 6 already make it much easier to understand.

And one thing about HM that i don't like is the fact that you need Move Deleter to forget the move. I mean why the trouble of making one specific NPC to remove a move that only has 5 varieties (in gen 6)?

As for a simpler design, let's take example from starters. Gen 1 and Gen 2 has this simple design, when Gen 3 forward adds more and more details to the starters and make it much more detailed, but not complicated. But it's not really a bad thing, since details create diversity. There are people who love simple design like Charizard as a fire starter, but there are also people like me who adore details in Infernape's design as a fire starter.

Lastly, i agree that someone doesn't have the right to judge or complain about a game such as the current XY without even playing the game and only basing their opinion from other's complaint and review, tsk.

professorlight said:
Leaf_Ranger said:
OH, YES THEY SHOULD! Mega-Evolution divided the fans and is nothing but simple, requiring a bracelet, bonding and a stone. Not only that, it's temporary and it may be one of the reasons why Gen. VI has so few new Pokémon, not to say that some of the designs are ridiculous and it was a wasted effort when things like branched evolutions or adding an evolution could be used (according to the Pokémon in question). For the love of Arceus, Charizard and Mewtwo got two Mega-evolutions, something that wasn't even needed in the first place.

Why on earth would you want to revisit the dull, generic previous regions? that would be going backwards, not forward.Making regions based in real world places gives them a base to start, more cohesion, and a shout-out to their players in that region. The world is much more than japan, or the classic mountain town, big city, snowy town, island town, etc.
In the customization, they need to lose so much color options and focus in more clothing variety, XY was a good first try, now they should get serious.

Mega evolution divided the fans as much as the fairy type did, do they have to get rid of fairies too? And, except for you, I haven't heard many people complaining about megas or fairies, Actually, I've heard more people wishing megas for certain pokemon or disliking certain megas than hating the entire concept.
Yes, megaevolution is NOT simple, they dropped the ball on that; they tried to make it a plot point to show its importance, so the slow-ass first half of the game revolves around that, and it's not even discovering it, it's just going to the place of the guy who is already an expert, and mentor of sycamore (you know, the guy who f****** sent you in the first place) and just asking what the hell it is. it's bad pacing and mistaken priorities, and it is complex, you must have the bracelet, the pokemon must have a stone, they should have streamlined that by:
-ditching the bracelet
-needing only the megastone, full friendship and affection in amie in order to megaevolve to guarantee you have to work a little to get that game-breaking megaevolution.
-giving you your first megaevolution at the climax of the story, the battle against the champion. Previously you can't pull it off, with any pokemon. during and after the battle, you are awarded with the ability to megaevolve, and can use it in battles and the postgame, wi-fi battles would separate those who beat the league and those who didn't, of course.

The few pokemon was due to time constraints, and it isn't such a bad thing, for old people like me, it means less names to remember, and in a game crawling with older pokemon from every single generation AND the god damn 1st gen starters, do you think the 150 new pokemon (even froakie, chespin and fennekin) would have had the protagonism they deserved?

It could be that GF is really changing the timetable, releasing 80 pokemon gens every two years, to keep it fresh, instead of bombarding us with 150 and then wait 4 years, filling us with useless spinoffs, remakes and third versions that are basically the same damn game with some bells and whistles.

Dull and generic regions? Some of them might be but other's aren't. Hoenn for example was one of the most diverse regions with a vast ocean and underwater exploration, a desert, a volcano, ice cave and many types of cities.
Without Team Rocket's challenge and the quest for gems, the Sevii islands are indeed dull but that could be changed and the Orange Islands... well we haven't visited those so it wouldn't such a bad idea to see what GF makes of them.
Going foward doesn't always mean new stuff and, in my opinion, certainly not in this case where things are becoming saturated. Gen. II moved foward and yet, in the post-game, we went back to Kanto, a region that was, back in Gen I, indeed dull and where gyms were the only challenge and yet Kanto in Gen. II was somewhat better.

Basing a region on a country might give some cohesion but it's too bad that we haven't seen so much cohesion in regard to the Pokémon world, at least since Sinnoh. Now we have regions that are based in real contries but whose relation and distance to former regions isn't explained and we're just exploring a region with foggy boundaries. And since when it needed to base a region on something? Can't they just make a fresh start without real guidelines? Fast foward a few years and the region's game will be exact replicas of the real world with small changes that incorporate Pokémon aspects.

About the customization I fully agree with you.

I don't complain about the Fairy type but if that divides the fans then it should also be scrapped. It added some freshness but I would rather have GF make Magnemite and Beldum have the ability Levitate and fixing the stupidity about, for example, Dustox and Venomoth.
Well, good thing that you finally know someone who supports the complete erase of Mega-evolution. No wonder that few people completly hate the concept, it's even tempting me, after all, like I've said before, some of the designs are pretty awesome and I would like to see them even if temporary but in the end I must chose to not adopt it, namely when it seems that some Pokémon were better if having an actual evolution and not just turning into almighty drag queens.
If that is to remain, as I fear so, then your suggestions about it are good.

If they weren't to come up with mega-evolution, something that added more complexity, then they wouldn't be short of time! I play these games since Gen. I and it's hard for me too trying to come up with all the names but there are solutions to that: either make each game last longer and not release them so close to each other or make a region with less new Pokémon but adding a few older Pokémon to make a decent number while adding new evolutions to these older and you've got novelty with simplicity. The fact that Kalos is crawling with older Pokémon from all generations does upset me because, after all, the new attacks and mechanics aren't such a good argument to again train a Pokémon that I've been training occasionally since Kanto and I'm tired of seeing and having to catch it to fill the Pkdex.
We're talking about games and the truth is that I feel that this series, like many others, are needing a rest or, like I've said, more time between releases. I'm not a supporter of DLC because most of them are crap and short but if they were to make a good region and then make worthy DLC then, while not buying them, I woudln't oppose them and it would make a generation last longer and it would give GF more time to think.

I can't speak for Crystal and Black 2 e White 2, since I've only played Gold and Black 2 but I did played Emerald and Sapphire and Diamond and Platinum (Yellow too but...nah, it was worth it). In Emerald I've liked the updated looks and I was especting to explore more islands, something that didn't happened, but I must agree that they aren't that good and worth to buy.

TBH, I still don't think they've really "fixed" HMs in recent games, they just swept them under the rug by making them not required for completion. The real problem with them is that they eat into your Pokemon's movesets, and that's what Game Freak needs to fix. I think better ways to handle that would be to either make field abilities that don't require battle moves for (as they've done with rideable Pokemon) or create a separate moveset for field moves.

Ririka said:
And one thing about HM that i don't like is the fact that you need Move Deleter to forget the move. I mean why the trouble of making one specific NPC to remove a move that only has 5 varieties (in gen 6)?

It prevents the player from trapping themselves. Let's say you trade over a Pokemon that knows Surf at the beginning of the game. You could end up Surfing to an area that can only be reached by Surf, delete it, and then there'd be no way to escape.

Leaf_Ranger said:
Dull and generic regions? Some of them might be but other's aren't. Hoenn for example was one of the most diverse regions with a vast ocean and underwater exploration, a desert, a volcano, ice cave and many types of cities.
Without Team Rocket's challenge and the quest for gems, the Sevii islands are indeed dull but that could be changed and the Orange Islands... well we haven't visited those so it wouldn't such a bad idea to see what GF makes of them.
Going foward doesn't always mean new stuff and, in my opinion, certainly not in this case where things are becoming saturated. Gen. II moved foward and yet, in the post-game, we went back to Kanto, a region that was, back in Gen I, indeed dull and where gyms were the only challenge and yet Kanto in Gen. II was somewhat better.

Basing a region on a country might give some cohesion but it's too bad that we haven't seen so much cohesion in regard to the Pokémon world, at least since Sinnoh. Now we have regions that are based in real contries but whose relation and distance to former regions isn't explained and we're just exploring a region with foggy boundaries. And since when it needed to base a region on something? Can't they just make a fresh start without real guidelines? Fast foward a few years and the region's game will be exact replicas of the real world with small changes that incorporate Pokémon aspects.

I don't mind them doing this, but a new generation centered around an old region would be fairly unexciting. I agree that old regions could use a facelift (particuarly Kanto and Johto), but it'd be better to do this with mid gen games like third versions and remakes typically do.

Leaf_Ranger said:
I don't complain about the Fairy type but if that divides the fans then it should also be scrapped. It added some freshness but I would rather have GF make Magnemite and Beldum have the ability Levitate and fixing the stupidity about, for example, Dustox and Venomoth.

Fairy type isn't going anywhere, the type has too much potential to be scrapped.

Leaf_Ranger said:
The fact that Kalos is crawling with older Pokémon from all generations does upset me because, after all, the new attacks and mechanics aren't such a good argument to again train a Pokémon that I've been training occasionally since Kanto and I'm tired of seeing and having to catch it to fill the Pkdex.

It's inevitable that as the National Dex increases, the percentage of new Pokemon increases. We have 649 old Pokemon, what do you expect? The only way old Pokemon wouldn't have dominated is if we had a Kalos Dex of less than 120, and we've seen that regional dexes as low as 150 usually aren't diverse enough, so that wouldn't have happened anyway.

Leaf_Ranger said:
We're talking about games and the truth is that I feel that this series, like many others, are needing a rest or, like I've said, more time between releases. I'm not a supporter of DLC because most of them are crap and short but if they were to make a good region and then make worthy DLC then, while not buying them, I woudln't oppose them and it would make a generation last longer and it would give GF more time to think.

If it means higher quality games, I'd be all for more spread out releases. I'm sick of most of the games being too samey, it really takes away from the experience. I don't think DLC should be used to create variety, sequels can do a better job of that, but it would be a good way to add longevity to games that might need it.

Please no more candels, ice-cream, or key-chain pokemon...its just...awkward and weird...

AadmM said:
If by simplifying and streamlining he means ditching pointless, age-old gameplay mechanics like HMs then hey, I'm all for it.

I mean seriously, I've been waiting for that to happen since Gold and Silver.

Honestly, I thought HMs were perfect in the Generation IV.

It gave Game Freak more room to be creative with the map. :)

Leaf_Ranger said:

It's funny that you bring hoenn up, it being the most cliché of all regions: kanto was the original one, mostly small, underdeveloped cities; johto was the most "japanese" one; sinnoh had a very interisting geography, with mount coronet and how its presence reorganized the region, unova was the first region based oficially in a country, and it had some interesting things, which kalos seems to build upon and improve greatly. But hoenn, well, you have small town, small town, big city, beach town, port city, small town, small town, arid small town, volcano city, city on top of the trees (with the most potential), another port city, island city, semi underwater city, city floating on the sea, etc. All that was missing was a city in the snowy wastelands (that sinnoh got). You call that diverse, I call it platformer area cliché (though it was a little more coherent than unova, even if just for the desert in the middle of nowhere).

And how was kanto in GS a richer region than in RB? the only story there is the machine part subquest and the gym challenges, which was less than RB and not too different from the johto story.

Why is it important to see how the regions are related? the only two we know are directly related are kanto and johto, and that's because johto is the sequel.
Let me ask you: Is kalos a carbon copy of france? Is unova of the US? is johto of japan?

If, because some people don't like the fairy type, then it should be scrapped, then let's scrap charizard too. I hate pikachu... can I shoot it in the face? why not mew, some people don't like it, and let's not even start on the eevelutions, let's scrap those too. You can apply that same logic to about everything in pokemon; the fairy type and megaevolutions are just the newest radical changes, and thus the easiest targets.
The thing with GF, the game's plot and the megaevolutions is that GF was the equivalent of a kid with a new toy, they gave it much more importance than it needed and wanted to show it off, so they forced it relatively early in the story, and that was their mistake. In a game where there is little challenge when you know what you are doing, where your pokemon are going to be overtrained and remarkably superior to your AI opponents, they go and give you something to make them even more powerful, and that's wrong.
Mega evolutions are useful... in the maison, battle tower, the high-level league and competitive battle... in-plot is just overkill. GF basically gave you the gravity gun, or the ultima spell, or the force storm at the middle of the game; and as pleasurable as it is to burn sith asses with force storm for the latter half of the game, it gets a little boring, also

If they weren't to come up with mega-evolution, something that added more complexity, then they wouldn't be short of time!

Do you really think megaevolution is so complex in coding? it's just a new way for pokemon to change forms. The system itself was probably a little more complex to code than meloetta's relic song.

I play these games since Gen. I and it's hard for me too trying to come up with all the names but there are solutions to that: either make each game last longer and not release them so close to each other

So four years is too little for you? And they do last longer: I can utterly humiliate pokemon red in 2 1/2 hours, B/W took me a few days, and I've been playing X/Y since two days after launch, and I'm nowhere near the end.

or make a region with less new Pokémon but adding a few older Pokémon to make a decent number

Hmmmm... less new pokemon, older pokemon... sounds familiar...

while adding new evolutions to these older and you've got novelty with simplicity.

But if you go all oprah with "old pokemon, new evolutions" then you may be adding novely and simplicity (though not really) but losing variety.

The fact that Kalos is crawling with older Pokémon from all generations does upset me because, after all, the new attacks and mechanics aren't such a good argument to again train a Pokémon that I've been training occasionally since Kanto and I'm tired of seeing and having to catch it to fill the Pkdex.

If you get bored, change movepools, use other pokemon, you are not obligated to use the same ones over and over. I always try to use from the same 17ish pokemon, and this is the first game where I can get most of them, granting me several future and different playthroughs, experimenting with teams, natures, EVs and movepools.
The new moves are few, no argument there, and some of them suck ass (Ion deluge? Magnetic flux? why give so awesome names to such useless attacks, GF?) but we got less new pokemon... makes sense that we also get less new moves, and items.

DLC is utter horseshit, agreed.
But what does it mean that GF needs more time to think? GF is always trying to experiment with their games, but eight times out of ten, the new stuff is just gimmicks with limited or short value, and even when they do hit the target, they change it in the next iteration. Based on what sugimori said, I'd wager that, since they want to simplify, they will focus on the core concepts of the game, training, exploration, adventure, rather than come up with novelty stuff that doesn't have too much to do with pokemon. With super training, they introduced minigames that help you to train your pokemon... why not replace the 3d pong they have now (as interesting as it is, and head-breaking with 3D on) with the pokethlon minigames from HGSS? or new minigames, each one different for each stat? then you have free play minigames + a use for them in the actual game, which can be potentially infinite, as long as you require EV training.
Simplicity is more than remove stuff, it can also be finding new uses for old stuff. HMs, as said before, are a vey good idea in a free roaming game, but annoying in a story-driven game, and it doesn't make sense that pokemon must learn a special move to do something that should come naturally to them. that's a system that absolutely must be simplified, for coherence's sake, if for no other reason.

Sugimori isn't the Director of Game Freak, so no one should really worry about this. This is all speculation that is happening just after the release of their first Gen VI games. If they wanted to make Pokemon games simpler, they would have started already.

professorlight said:
It's funny that you bring hoenn up, it being the most cliché of all regions: kanto was the original one, mostly small, underdeveloped cities; johto was the most "japanese" one; sinnoh had a very interisting geography, with mount coronet and how its presence reorganized the region, unova was the first region based oficially in a country, and it had some interesting things, which kalos seems to build upon and improve greatly. But hoenn, well, you have small town, small town, big city, beach town, port city, small town, small town, arid small town, volcano city, city on top of the trees (with the most potential), another port city, island city, semi underwater city, city floating on the sea, etc. All that was missing was a city in the snowy wastelands (that sinnoh got). You call that diverse, I call it platformer area cliché (though it was a little more coherent than unova, even if just for the desert in the middle of nowhere).

Hoenn is the most cliché? Hoenn is far from being the cliché: Mt. Chimney and Lavaridge had nothing to do with Cinnabar and it was great to see a volcano for once instead of a volcano island which is plain flat!
You're complaining of a floating location and a semi underwater city? We had never saw such things and they made sense given the region they where in. It's a large archipelago and so it's expected to see different locations with climate changes, just like Australia is warmer in the North and cooler in the South! Hoenn had diversity and the creators knew how to show it pretty well. Just look at Sinnoh, namely Canalave and Celestic: Canalave is nothing more than two streches of land connected by a bridge and in Celestic, if it weren't for those ruins and the shrine, there was nothing else that drawn attention. Oh, and don't forget the Battle Area, something that if I recall correctly it's not in Sinnoh but no one explains where exactly the f*ck are we, clap, clap, clap, great idea to just shoot some random area into the game to add a little mistery and sense of tropicality - aside from the different trees it was just a filler with something similar seen in Hoenn. The one thing Sinnoh improved (aside from Snowpoint) was the Great Marsh, at least we saw some new things and had to learn to move through the bog. Mt Coronet was a good idea but it fell short with just Shellos and Gastrodon being different; GF could've made more differences between Pokémon from each side...now that I think of it, if used correctly, Sinnoh could've been the perfect scenario forBlack and White!
Also, don't forget Petalburg Woods. It may have just been a difference in name but at least it wasn't another bushy area called "forest". I wonder how long will it take for GF to come up with a jungle full of mazes or some big swamp maze.

And how was kanto in GS a richer region than in RB? the only story there is the machine part subquest and the gym challenges, which was less than RB and not too different from the johto story.

We saw change in looks. Yes, it still was small (almost nothing) but that is also Kanto's own fault since it was originally too small, and so not much can be done when what's there is almost nothing. Imagine what would have been if they added more stuff, so there may be a point in revisiting older regions, if it's to improve.

Why is it important to see how the regions are related? the only two we know are directly related are kanto and johto, and that's because johto is the sequel.
Let me ask you: Is kalos a carbon copy of france? Is unova of the US? is johto of japan?

Cohesion! If one doesn't have some sort of link then all it is doing is adding regions that stand like islands in an ocean that will become saturated.

"1-Howcome this species is also found in X region?
2-Oh, I don't know. I thought it was a good idea to just place it in this region that is billions of miles away from everything and having the same colours.
1-Great, then I'll be catching that other species.
2-Sorry, but you can't.
1-Why not?
2-It's not native, the climate is different and we're far far away from everything.
1- But then, why is the first species here aside from you wanting it to be here?
2-....Now then, move along, you have a journey ahead. Go on and don't think too much. This is a game after all."

If, because some people don't like the fairy type, then it should be scrapped, then let's scrap charizard too. I hate pikachu... can I shoot it in the face? why not mew, some people don't like it, and let's not even start on the eevelutions, let's scrap those too. You can apply that same logic to about everything in pokemon; the fairy type and megaevolutions are just the newest radical changes, and thus the easiest targets.
The thing with GF, the game's plot and the megaevolutions is that GF was the equivalent of a kid with a new toy, they gave it much more importance than it needed and wanted to show it off, so they forced it relatively early in the story, and that was their mistake. In a game where there is little challenge when you know what you are doing, where your pokemon are going to be overtrained and remarkably superior to your AI opponents, they go and give you something to make them even more powerful, and that's wrong.
Mega evolutions are useful... in the maison, battle tower, the high-level league and competitive battle... in-plot is just overkill. GF basically gave you the gravity gun, or the ultima spell, or the force storm at the middle of the game; and as pleasurable as it is to burn sith asses with force storm for the latter half of the game, it gets a little boring, also

AHA! Indeed we can't apply that logic to everything and so we can't also apply the logic that if only a few dislike Mega-evolution or Fairy-type.
Mega-evolution might be useful (might be, I'm not saying that it is or it isn't bacause I have yet to play the games) but then again, how many people will even go to those facilities.? I, for example, just tried Contests a couple of times and never again stood foot in there. Unless there's a poll in which, at least, three quarters of players would participate we don't have actual numbers, just like on this site you might find an opinion with lots of supporters but that doesn't mean that it's the same all over the world.
So, we can't judge a mechanic by it's supporters, we'll have to weight the positive aspects and the negatives and, answering your next comment, Mega-evolution took some time to come up with in regards of the concept per se, Pokémon affected and design-wise (I wasn't talking of coding but, now that you've mentioned it, add that to those other things and you'll come up with something that took time and, worst of all, was badly implemented, unlike the Fairy type, which is why I'm up for completetly abolishing Mega-evolution.

Do you really think megaevolution is so complex in coding? it's just a new way for pokemon to change forms. The system itself was probably a little more complex to code than meloetta's relic song.

So four years is too little for you? And they do last longer: I can utterly humiliate pokemon red in 2 1/2 hours, B/W took me a few days, and I've been playing X/Y since two days after launch, and I'm nowhere near the end.

I didn't give an exact number. Four years is indeed too much, I was thinking of something like almost two years.
They may last longer but they still don't last long enough or, on another perspective, they may last a while but that time isn't that much fun when there're no threats and when the main thing that may keep you busy is the training. With X/Y, the Gyms leaders are far from being a threat or even something that you may consider before challeging them. More difficulty would be welcome and, since the demographics range from children to young adults, make it with difficulty selection.

Hmmmm... less new pokemon, older pokemon... sounds familiar...

Of course it sounds familiar, it's the same thing but only better implemented, not with the aforementioned drag queevolution that make up as evolutions.

But if you go all oprah with "old pokemon, new evolutions" then you may be adding novely and simplicity (though not really) but losing variety.

Now you want variety but you don't want to make it up to 150? I've complained about 150 Pokémon but added that giving true new evolutions would add variety while keeping new ones at a good number and not just 70 or so.

If you get bored, change movepools, use other pokemon, you are not obligated to use the same ones over and over. I always try to use from the same 17ish pokemon, and this is the first game where I can get most of them, granting me several future and different playthroughs, experimenting with teams, natures, EVs and movepools.
The new moves are few, no argument there, and some of them suck ass (Ion deluge? Magnetic flux? why give so awesome names to such useless attacks, GF?) but we got less new pokemon... makes sense that we also get less new moves, and items.

That's the thing, how can I try new Pokémon when they are few of them? I'm not upset about movepools, but like I've said they aren't reason to train, for example, another Victrebel and so I'll go train another Poison Pokémon, no matter what movepool it has. What do I get? Only Dragalge (and Skrelp)! It's Honen all over again with Gulpin.

DLC is utter horseshit, agreed.
But what does it mean that GF needs more time to think? GF is always trying to experiment with their games, but eight times out of ten, the new stuff is just gimmicks with limited or short value, and even when they do hit the target, they change it in the next iteration. Based on what sugimori said, I'd wager that, since they want to simplify, they will focus on the core concepts of the game, training, exploration, adventure, rather than come up with novelty stuff that doesn't have too much to do with pokemon. With super training, they introduced minigames that help you to train your pokemon... why not replace the 3d pong they have now (as interesting as it is, and head-breaking with 3D on) with the pokethlon minigames from HGSS? or new minigames, each one different for each stat? then you have free play minigames + a use for them in the actual game, which can be potentially infinite, as long as you require EV training.
Simplicity is more than remove stuff, it can also be finding new uses for old stuff. HMs, as said before, are a vey good idea in a free roaming game, but annoying in a story-driven game, and it doesn't make sense that pokemon must learn a special move to do something that should come naturally to them. that's a system that absolutely must be simplified, for coherence's sake, if for no other reason.

I'm thinking that more time would make them slow down a bit and evaluate what has been done, what needs to be done, what needs to stay the same and what needs to be thrown.
I have no problem with those suggestions of yours about mini-games and HM's, on the contrary, I agree.

professorlight said:

There isn't much more they can do besides "platformer area cliche" anyway, there's only so many environments that exist in the world. What really defines whether or not something is cliche is how much something has been used within the series, and Hoenn introduced a lot of different environments to the series such as deserts, volcanoes (yeah, there was Cinnibar, but the volcano was just there to justify nerfing the city down to a Pokemon Center, it didn't have an actual volcanic environment) rainforests, and underwater. So no, I wouldn't say that's cliche at all, quite the opposite really.

professorlight said:

TBH, it wasn't. But the game showed that the region is capable of evolving by adding new characters, showing character development for old ones, and making changes to areas so they play a new role. GSC may have actually made things worse for Kanto, but that doesn't mean they can't try again, and Kanto could really use the BW2 treatment to improve the region in meaningful ways, and some of the changes the games actually made could actually contribute to enhancing the region in meaningful ways.

professorlight said:

I don't really care how long generations last, as long as they match the console release schedule. I don't want to see another gen like 5th gen. Beyond that, I'm more interested in the individual games' release schedule. Which would you rather have, a ton of rehashes every 1 or 2 years, or new games every 2-3 years?

Leaf_Ranger said:
Just look at Sinnoh, namely Canalave and Celestic: Canalave is nothing more than two streches of land connected by a bridge and in Celestic, if it weren't for those ruins and the shrine, there was nothing else that drawn attention.

You could say the same thing with a lot of areas in Hoenn. That's enough for them not to feel cliche.

Leaf_Ranger said:
Oh, and don't forget the Battle Area, something that if I recall correctly it's not in Sinnoh but no one explains where exactly the f*ck are we, clap, clap, clap, great idea to just shoot some random area into the game to add a little mistery and sense of tropicality - aside from the different trees it was just a filler with something similar seen in Hoenn.

It's based on an island that's part of Russia, so I imagine it's either part of a separate region or associated with that region. It's just closer to Sinnoh, that's all.

Leaf_Ranger said:
Also, don't forget Petalburg Woods. It may have just been a difference in name but at least it wasn't another bushy area called "forest".

Names do not keep an area from being cliche, it's just as generic as the rest of them.

Leaf_Ranger said:
I wonder how long will it take for GF to come up with a jungle full of mazes or some big swamp maze.

I'm still waiting on that jungle area, we've never really seen one.

Leaf_Ranger said:
We saw change in looks. Yes, it still was small (almost nothing) but that is also Kanto's own fault since it was originally too small, and so not much can be done when what's there is almost nothing. Imagine what would have been if they added more stuff, so there may be a point in revisiting older regions, if it's to improve.

The lack of plot did have a significant effect on its length and depth, though. Imagine if we went through Hoenn or Sinnoh that way, you could breeze right through them in no time.

Leaf_Ranger said:
Cohesion! If one doesn't have some sort of link then all it is doing is adding regions that stand like islands in an ocean that will become saturated.

"1-Howcome this species is also found in X region?
2-Oh, I don't know. I thought it was a good idea to just place it in this region that is billions of miles away from everything and having the same colours.
1-Great, then I'll be catching that other species.
2-Sorry, but you can't.
1-Why not?
2-It's not native, the climate is different and we're far far away from everything.
1- But then, why is the first species here aside from you wanting it to be here?
2-....Now then, move along, you have a journey ahead. Go on and don't think too much. This is a game after all."

I don't see how this is necessary whatsoever, it's not like they can just include every single Pokemon that fits a particular environment, that would make things too imbalanced and take all of the fun out of it. The idea behind regional dexes is to give you a sampling of Pokemon to play around with in the main game to keep you from getting overwhelmed. Of course some of your favorites aren't going to show up, but what fun would that be if they did?

Leaf_Ranger said:
That's the thing, how can I try new Pokémon when they are few of them? I'm not upset about movepools, but like I've said they aren't reason to train, for example, another Victrebel and so I'll go train another Poison Pokémon, no matter what movepool it has. What do I get? Only Dragalge (and Skrelp)! It's Honen all over again with Gulpin

He didn't say use new ones, he said use different ones. If you don't want to use Victreebel, use some other older Poison type you've never used before like Drapion or Crobat.

"AHA! Indeed we can't apply that logic to everything and so we can't also apply the logic that if only a few dislike Mega-evolution or Fairy-type.
Mega-evolution might be useful (might be, I'm not saying that it is or it isn't bacause I have yet to play the games) but then again, how many people will even go to those facilities.? I, for example, just tried Contests a couple of times and never again stood foot in there. Unless there's a poll in which, at least, three quarters of players would participate we don't have actual numbers, just like on this site you might find an opinion with lots of supporters but that doesn't mean that it's the same all over the world.
So, we can't judge a mechanic by it's supporters, we'll have to weight the positive aspects and the negatives and, answering your next comment, Mega-evolution took some time to come up with in regards of the concept per se, Pokémon affected and design-wise (I wasn't talking of coding but, now that you've mentioned it, add that to those other things and you'll come up with something that took time and, worst of all, was badly implemented, unlike the Fairy type, which is why I'm up for completetly abolishing Mega-evolution."

Wait... "I have yet to play the games"... you mean you are discussing this and you haven't played the games? The thread's corner of shame is that way -> look for DNA, he's already there.
But no, there is no poll, just the fact that this site represents a demographic sample from all pokemon fans (you know, similar to the method used to make polls?) and how everyone's opinion was divided when megaevolutions were announced (me included), and now, you are the only one I hear advocating for its removal. I say that shows a shift of opinion. Extrapolating that trend lets me assume fans's opinions changed from love/hate to love/meh and a little hate.

"I didn't give an exact number. Four years is indeed too much, I was thinking of something like almost two years.
They may last longer but they still don't last long enough or, on another perspective, they may last a while but that time isn't that much fun when there're no threats and when the main thing that may keep you busy is the training. With X/Y, the Gyms leaders are far from being a threat or even something that you may consider before challeging them. More difficulty would be welcome and, since the demographics range from children to young adults, make it with difficulty selection."

Lemme see, oh, here it is:
professorlight said:
But yes, difficulty selection from the begining of the game is a must; I don't know what they were thinking in BW2.

"Of course it sounds familiar, it's the same thing but only better implemented, not with the aforementioned drag queevolution that make up as evolutions."

Megaevos don't make up as regular evolutions, many people got confused by that.
This gen didn't have evolutions of older pokemon. This gen had megaevolutions. That's casuality, not causality, those facts are not (directly) related.

"Now you want variety but you don't want to make it up to 150? I've complained about 150 Pokémon but added that giving true new evolutions would add variety while keeping new ones at a good number and not just 70 or so."

First, new evolutions are new pokemon, so the new pokemon would not be just 70 or so. I think you meant new lines, in that case.
When I mean variety, I mean difference, not quantity. Completing old evolution lines instead of adding new pokemon could potentially make every pokemon part of a 3-stage line, or half 3-stage and half 2-stage, where would the variety be there? It's okay for some pokemon to be standalone, some to evolve once and some to evolve twice, some megaevolve, etc... GF's challenge (not an easy one) is making every one of those different pokemon capable of holding their own and being strong in some situations. When a fistful of pokemon is strong in every situation, you get the current metagame and smogon's tiers, and that's bad, as far as the franchise's intent is concerned.

"There isn't much more they can do besides "platformer area cliche" anyway, there's only so many environments that exist in the world. What really defines whether or not something is cliche is how much something has been used within the series, and Hoenn introduced a lot of different environments to the series such as deserts, volcanoes (yeah, there was Cinnibar, but the volcano was just there to justify nerfing the city down to a Pokemon Center, it didn't have an actual volcanic environment) rainforests, and underwater. So no, I wouldn't say that's cliche at all, quite the opposite really."

I was alluding at the urbanistic value of the cities, more than the gaming cliche; as you said, there are only so many different habitable environments, though there is no need to feature them all in any game.
All those towns are generic because their whole schtick was "we live on an island", "we are a BIG city", "we live atop trees, crazy, huh?", "we are a small town" and so on. Those cities could only be defined by that, instead of having their own particular story, reflected on their layout , their architecture, those are generic cities.
Look at this:
97001e9aad1a5ef841ed104693e3a57e-orig
That's a master plan for the city of paris made by one of the greatest m********* in the history of architecture, Le Corbusier. He wanted to demolish a big part of the city (one of the oldest, more organic parts of the city) and build that. Is it interesting, urbanistically speaking? or does it seem like something out of "1984"? That's a regular pokemon town.
Now, they are geting better at it:
You have nacrene city, which is comprised of old train depots repurposed to be homes; nacrene is organic, has a history, a novel and plausible concept.
You have also nimbasa city, which only purpose is to entertain; that's a lot more to it than "grassy area town with fun facilities".
There's ecruteak, with its distinctly japanese architecture and history.
Driftveil's urban growth from a port/industrial city to a tourism hotspot and the place of the PWT.
Lacunosa, showing its customs not only in its people, but also in its layout.
Urbanistically, santalune city feels like a real town, I was dumbfounded after seeing it for the first time.
Or camphrier town, acting as the small settlement outside of the former castle of the king of kalos, it tells much.
You can read kalos's history in lumiose, too, despite being all modern buildings and narrow alleys, that perimetral wall doesn't lie. some shit went down there. That, and the sheer scale of the city.
Or cyllage city, with its twisting roads and the bike path surrounding it, there's more there than "coast city".
Or coumarine city, a two-part commercial harbor and city in a cliff, though I'll never understand why the city is not in the cliff facing the ocean, instead of facing inner kalos.
Laverre city seems very interesting too, though a little overboard withe the fairytale town thing.
Of course, GF still has a lot to improve, shalour city is a shame, and vaniville town is still two god damn houses... they got it right with aspertia... see what I mean about them experimenting and throwing away the good stuff with the bad?

"TBH, it wasn't. But the game showed that the region is capable of evolving by adding new characters, showing character development for old ones, and making changes to areas so they play a new role. GSC may have actually made things worse for Kanto, but that doesn't mean they can't try again, and Kanto could really use the BW2 treatment to improve the region in meaningful ways, and some of the changes the games actually made could actually contribute to enhancing the region in meaningful ways."

All that is true, and it happened already, it was called FRLG, but it happened back in the third generation.
The thing is, if you do remakes, as they did, you are bound by the existing story (even if you improve it a little as in HGSS, it's not enough), which was bad; if you do a new game in old regions (or sequels), as leaf ranger was suggesting (ex: BW2), you are bound by the same old pokemon, since you can't add brand new pokemon to an old region, even with a new story. Adding an old region GS style seems to be a solution, but GF proved that they can't justify it through an interesting story.
If a new game's (new game=new gen) plot took you back to kanto/hoenn/sinnoh/etc, I would love it, and it would be long and probably interesting, but the regions having the potential to improve over time is not a compelling enough motive to use them again.

"I don't really care how long generations last, as long as they match the console release schedule. I don't want to see another gen like 5th gen. Beyond that, I'm more interested in the individual games' release schedule. Which would you rather have, a ton of rehashes every 1 or 2 years, or new games every 2-3 years?"

Based on my quote up there, I think we agree.
I agree with the rest, too.

If i'm derailing the thread, I apologize, I'll excuse myself now.

I didn't think the topic would degrade this much into a Gen 6 argument. Welp, better throw something in before the thread gets locked.

Wait... "I have yet to play the games"... you mean you are discussing this and you haven't played the games? The thread's corner of shame is that way -> look for DNA, he's already there.
http://garfield.com/comic/2000-04-06
^This describes me very well.

I am incredibly choosy about what I'm looking for in a game, and Pokemon is no exception. Things like plot, field and battle engines, music, post-game, replay value, and so on are some of the things I look for in a game. Pokemon X/Y suffer dreadfully in the plot, post-game, and replay value aspects - after you clear the main plot (which I've heard is basically a drudge), there isn't much left to do. And given how Pokemon just loves to exclude non-hardcore fans with the event distributions, there's no way I can really start over a game to enjoy it again. Even my Platinum, which I've wanted to start over, has the Secret Key in it, which I'll never be able to get again. They aren't exactly kind to starting over. This is why the only games I can start over are the ones I don't care about.

And dare I bring up issues that have been encountered? The Lumiose save glitch has been fixed, sure, but what about the bad eggs that appear in Wonder Trade? Is there a fix for that? More importantly, why are these things (specifically that save glitch) even showing up to begin with? It hasn't even been a month yet and already we're hearing about terrible issues, more widespread even than that odd glitch in BW where the game just gets stuck in a battle. (I have not encountered this personally, but I know it exists.)

As for the new Pokemon aspect, I'd rather they just give us none at all than such a low number like 69. Even out of those, only a small handful are even worth talking about. The Mega-Evolution concept is either you love it or you hate it, and I definitely fall into the 'hate it' category. I'd rather the time and effort put into them be used for...well, actual evolutions, or at least more new lines - I'm not exactly a fan of giving a Pokemon bigger features and calling it 'Mega'. It sounds like the work of a 5-year-old. Mawile could have gotten away with a regular evolution, but now it's doomed to die in obscurity...again. Then again, maybe the Mega-Evolutions prove that Game Freak is run by evil overlords (check point #12). And I got irritated with the type chart and mega reveals, that had basically ruined two of my most-liked Pokemon (Metagross and Gengar, respectively) for me. I get defensive about it and still do. I'm sure if something happened to ruin one of your favorite Pokemon for you, you would be much the same way.

I honestly liked what they did in BW1 - where nothing was related to any prior Pokemon. BW1 was aimed to be a reboot of the series, and it did that quite well - plus, it actually had a true plot, something that very few other main-series Pokemon games to date can boast about (the ones that can are Emerald and Platinum - G/S and HG/SS can but that's questionable). Then they went back with the same tired tune in BW2 that they've always done, and because of that, despite BW2 having the best post-game in any Pokemon game to date, I dislike it immensely. There is no charm, no enticing factor, nothing that intrinsically makes it more appealing than BW1. But it's better to have no plot (BW2) than a bad one (XY).

That is not to say that X/Y does not have redeeming features. It does, and it has plenty - improved look of the overworld and sprites in general (well, allegedly - it looks basically the same as BW to me since I don't like 3D), good music (allegedly - I haven't heard any), a large selection of Pokemon available to compensate for the lack of migration (currently), easier ways to acquire and pass down good IVs and abilities, the Friend Safari, retooling of some moves, types, and abilities to adjust for balance issues (I personally feel they didn't do nearly enough with the type chart), Pokemon-Amie (debatable)...you get the idea. It has good stuff. I've seen many of my friends playing it, and occasionally watched the gameplay. But what it lacks really turns me away from it - it could have been so much better than it is now. Every time I see people play X/Y, I think "why do people like this? It's just the same thing as always".

This is why I think that Pokemon X/Y are only worth $20. I've stated that I would buy one for $20, even though I have claimed to quit the franchise. No one has taken me up on the offer yet. It's also why I think the first Pokemon Mystery Dungeon is better than all its successors - it has unlimited storage, but more importantly, it has Friend Areas. Later titles have neither, despite having so much more good stuff than the original did.

But that doesn't mean that people can't have fun with the game. If you like the content in X/Y and you genuinely enjoy the game, then more power to you. Far be it from me to drain the excitement out of your game. You are free to enjoy your game however you please; just understand that I cannot enjoy it like you do. I'd rather go with something I know will be good than to take a gamble with something unfamiliar.

tl;dr: I despise X/Y not for what it does have, but for what it doesn't have. As appealing as it may sound, the excitement will die away once the realization comes along that the game doesn't really have all that much to do. I'd be better off playing simulators - at least I won't waste $45 play those.
I have neither shame nor regrets. And for those of you who think I make value decisions based on games I've never played due to lack of information, you obviously don't know me very well at all, tsk tsk.

Now, I think you guys were talking about Gen 7 or something being simpler and/or more streamlined, so I'll leave you guys to that. ...wow, I can't believe I wasted about 30 minutes of my day writing this.

DNA said:
I didn't think the topic would degrade this much into a Gen 6 argument.

Discussion of Gen 6 (and other previous generations) can be relevant here, if used as a comparison anchor for Gen 7, but please remember that this thread isn't primarily about Gen 6. That goes for everyone. d:

I know; I was just watching the turn this topic was going and kinda got sad about it. =/

Frezgle said:
DNA said:
I didn't think the topic would degrade this much into a Gen 6 argument.

Discussion of Gen 6 (and other previous generations) can be relevant here, if used as a comparison anchor for Gen 7, but please remember that this thread isn't primarily about Gen 6. That goes for everyone. d:

Since I'm the one who started this thread, I really hope I didn't start a Gen 6 war here, for that wasn't my intention to begin with, but rather for the sole purpose of discussing this interesting tidbit of information that was gotten from a apparent interview with Sugimori.

Good thing you're a mod here Frezgle, and brought some order here, thx:D

I'm not sure how I would feel if they simplified things any further than they already have. This game was the most enjoyable video game I have played since heartgold, and before that crystal, (yes I realize they are all pokemon games, but they are the best I have played haha) but it was much more enjoyable than both of those games because of the major overload of fan-service and nostalgia. I seriously laughed, cried, and smiled my way through this game in two days, something I have never done with a game before. And now, it has, with the destiny knot and friend safari, finally given me the resources to make a competitive team and be connected with other players, to trade and battle without feeling horribly ineffective, within my restricted time schedule. This was never possible for me before, but now that it has been simplified enough it definitely is. However, how would they simplify it more? I get the hm's thing, but by now it just feels like part of the game. Sure, rock smash, strength, waterfall, whirlpool, and cut are annoying, but fly and surf are great in my opinion. So maybe they could just do what some people have suggested and let pokemon do what it is evident they can do? Pokemon with wings should fly, anything with fins/paws/tails almost all pokemon should be able to "surf." I could see them making these not be moves anymore, that would make sense to me. Like natural abilities or something. Also, would love an expansive post game, more comparable to gold and silver and their remakes, preferably even larger. Although I don't see how that would make the game more simple, just more enjoyable haha.

TL;DR: Gamefreak, please don't simplify it too much from what it already is! I am loving this game at the moment.

Oh, and DNA, please try these games, if you ever enjoyed the previous ones. You will love it, just turn off the xp share and have yourself a good two days of fun and nostalgia like I did, then breed up a good pokemon lickity split post game and have yourself some wifi fun. You won't regret it.

Back