State of the Names

Does the lack of creative names bother you?

• Total voters
"Creative names" are actually bad for the community as a whole. Having creative names without explanation alienates members who have never heard of those names. Let's say I am playing magic. I want to play RDW. Know what that is? It isn't an abbreviation of a group of cards. Some competitive magic players can tell you it means "Red Deck Wins", but what does that deck do? We know it is red, but what kind of red? What if I told you I was playing mono-red agro. That is clear, concise, and to the point. I am playing a red deck, and I have an agro strategy.

If you are trying to talk about the deck, play the established name. We have seen some "creative" names such as ChenLock (we know it locks... but not much else about the deck). If you were not playing at the time of ChenLock, you would have no idea what it was. Now then, if I told you it was Sablock with a Blaziken tech, you should have a better idea of what it is. People learn established names and stick with them. The more descriptive the name, the less it alienates "outsiders". If you are doing it with a small group of friends, go nuts! As long as you all get the joke, you'll be fine. When trying to discuss the deck with a massive audience, be descriptive. That being said, have fun. I'm trying to popularize people calling Pachirisu CoL "Pachi the Pirate". It is still obvious what the card is, but it is equally fun. Just try to avoid alienating other members due to their lack of knowledge of an inside joke.

Zero said:
"Creative names" are actually bad for the community as a whole. Having creative names without explanation alienates members who have never heard of those names. Let's say I am playing magic. I want to play RDW. Know what that is? It isn't an abbreviation of a group of cards. Some competitive magic players can tell you it means "Red Deck Wins", but what does that deck do? We know it is red, but what kind of red? What if I told you I was playing mono-red agro. That is clear, concise, and to the point. I am playing a red deck, and I have an agro strategy.

Whaaaaaa? Why do they NEED to know what the name means? I have no clue about magic but if I tell my opponent that I'm playing *insert creative name here* and they say what is that? Then who cares...you could explain it or not...it just means that they don't get it. They don't need to know why you call it that lol

Well I think he means if I kept on referring Chocolate to Stage 1, then I'd have to keep explaining what it was, because it hardly refers to the deck. At least I think that's the point. You want people to get the idea at first glance.

As I said, you can come up with whatever wacky names you want to, but the moment you use them without describing them in detail is when you go too far. I played HDTW at nats (according to my friends). HDTW stands for How Does This Work?. Get the joke? Now then, if we decided to make a thread about HDTW and say how amazing its matchups are, only about 10 people would get it. Either the thread would get few posts or half of the posts would be asking what the deck actually is. Now then, if I said I was playing TyRam at nats (which I didn't... guess what HDTW is >:[), you would understand immediately. See the difference? Now guess what HDTW is. If you know what I played, don't answer >:[

I agree whole-heartedly to Zero's point. I actually prefer to take it a step futher an just call the combo what it actually is. TCG Jargon doesn't exactly line up well for someone not so spirited into the game (who wouldn't keep up onto such silly namescoming and going). Just saying what it is would cut off the possibility of one really annoying question that I see on this forum every now and then:

"What is *********?"

Zero said:
As I said, you can come up with whatever wacky names you want to, but the moment you use them without describing them in detail is when you go too far. I played HDTW at nats (according to my friends). HDTW stands for How Does This Work?. Get the joke? Now then, if we decided to make a thread about HDTW and say how amazing its matchups are, only about 10 people would get it. Either the thread would get few posts or half of the posts would be asking what the deck actually is. Now then, if I said I was playing TyRam at nats (which I didn't... guess what HDTW is >:[), you would understand immediately. See the difference? Now guess what HDTW is. If you know what I played, don't answer >:[

You win this time Zero

/me jumps out of the plane laughing

But even if they don't know how what ever your deck is called works...or what it is...you don't have to explain if you don't want to :p

Honestly everyone complaining we don't have enough creative names for decks, well should I remind you of the most hideous yet creative name for a deck that we have seen? Does ady GaGa ring a bell? Keep the deck names simple, period.

My point exactly. They can be too confusing. I think that it's best to either combine names or use a creative one that is globally recognised and easy to pick up.

Decmaster said:
Recently, I have been wondering about the "creative" naming of decks in the format. This may sound confusing, but here I go.

Well, most of the decks in HGSS-on have names that are a combination of the cards that make it up. For instance:

ZPS – Zekrom, Pachirisu, Shaymin
DonChamp – Donphan, Machamp
ReshiBoar – Reshiram, Emboar
MagneBoar – Magnezone, Emboar
MegaZone – Yanmega, Magnezone
LostGar – Lost World, Gengar

I wonder why players are so uncreative these days. I mean, back in the past, we had (I really didn't play much back in DP-on, so give me some slack here):

Plox
HoPe

You know, names that resembled the deck while still being original and creative.

This is some of the stuff that could be done to change this:

VVV (Vanillux/Victini/Vileplume) – Teeth (Because it looks like teeth! Also, frostbite because Vanillux is cold), or maybe Burning Snowcone (Because of Vanillux/Victini)
DonChamp – Mach 1 (Because Mach from Machamp and it's a Turn 1 deck…)

Does the lack of creative names bother anyone else?

(This post is rather unorganized…)

Stage Ones = Megazord. OH YEAH. (yanMEGA ZORoark Donphan) HoPe wasn't even known that well and Plox, was simple. It was for Psychic Lock. Most people just called it Gardevoir/Gallade or G&G. Unique names are cool, but there aren't many decks that have a unique name. Mostly because it's hard to find them.

Back