SM7 'Celestial Storm' Revealed!

Merovingian

Dead Game Enthusiast
Stakataka GX is cheeky, but you really don't have the bench space in UB decks, I feel.

If we are talking about the Beast Box decks we know the construction of now. Then no. Stacks doesn't have a place there.

Outside of Buzzwole GX, most of them don't even have room for Zoroark GX.

You don't need Zoroark.

I feel that it would have to be a deck of its own running 4 copies

Ding! Ding! Ding!

and hoping to have all 4 out.

There's no "hope". It's absolutely doable. I've had a proxied up a UB Stakataka deck since the spoilers first came out. You can EASILY get all 4 by turn 2.

Now how it actually performs in the wild, I don't know yet. But it's comically aggressive and I love it. And I think it's post-rotation tier-1 material. I'll take it to the first Cup available to me.

Merovingian

Dead Game Enthusiast
What by definition is an “Ultra Beast Card”. Are there ultra beast items and supporters? Does beast energy and beast ring count?

If this card needs a ruling for this, I can almost guarantee that it'll be along the lines of 'intent'. Similar to how Apricorn Maker from Skyridge won't fetch Maxie's Hidden Ball Trick. Yes, MHBT DOES have "Ball" in the name. But the intent of the card was to fetch Pokeball-esque cards (The current one can only fetch Item cards with Ball in their name. That and the Japanese MHBT doesn't have "Ball" in its name).

For this, the intent of Beast Ball is to fetch Ultra Beast Pokemon. Plus, the Trainers and Beast Energy Prism Star mention Ultra Beasts in their card text but don't have the "Ultra Beast" designation.

Last edited:

ForeverRanger91

Aspiring Trainer
As much of a waste of a spot it is, I am totally going to add a copy of Jirachi Prism Star to every deck I build just for the lolz.

Sharkrai

Aspiring Trainer
I was looking at an email just now from Pokemon talking about let's go preorder bonuses on the pokemon center website and scroll down to see the lele pin among others listed as new legendary pokemon pins haha

gumball51321

*thumbs up*
I don't fully understand the ruling of Jirachi Prism Star. If your opponent plays Switch, would the new switched in Pokemon get KO'd? If Jirachi Prism is KO'd after it goes to sleep, does the defending Pokemon still get KO'd anyway? Either way, I don't know if I like 3 energy for that attack. It's just a heavy energy investment away from your main attackers.
Effects are reset when a Pokemon switches, so if your opponent's active Pokemon gets switched at any point after the attack, the effect goes away. And because the effect is on the opponent's Pokemon, yes, they would be knocked out if Jirachi goes down.
And yes, 3 Energy for an attack that is easily played around on a super frail prism that you can't get back is pretty asscheeks.

PlatinumDude

Aspiring Trainer
Jeez, these cards suck ass. Stakataka is cute, but eh.
This set is looking to be shit. I'll buy what few singles are actually playable.
Rayquaza GX is one of the most promising cards of the set. I wouldn't sleep on the set just yet.

The other highlights of this set are Acro Bike coming back, Fisherman being spared from rotation, Steven's Decision as a possible turn 1 supporter, and Swampert as a possible (but slow) budget deck.

Duo

RIP Nessa 2023
I think Rayquaza GX is a card that won't see its full potential until future expansions, and if we don't see some support for it (for energy) in a few expansions, it's probably just going to collect dust.

We've rummaged over how to properly get the guy going in another thread (Beast Ring strategy with Xurkitree/Pheramosa GX, Dragon Storm Drampa, and Dragonair), but I don't think any of those options are good enough, and Vikavolt is just a terrible strategy altogether for the deck.

I dunno, I said it when Crimson Invasion happened and I'll say it again here.

Pokemon TCG isn't just designed exclusively for competitive, and I would much rather not see the meta shift to the latest and greatest BDIF every set that gets released. If this set is just here to curb the power creep for a few months, I'm totally okay with that.

gumball51321

*thumbs up*
I think Rayquaza GX is a card that won't see its full potential until future expansions, and if we don't see some support for it (for energy) in a few expansions, it's probably just going to collect dust.

We've rummaged over how to properly get the guy going in another thread (Beast Ring strategy with Xurkitree/Pheramosa GX, Dragon Storm Drampa, and Dragonair), but I don't think any of those options are good enough, and Vikavolt is just a terrible strategy altogether for the deck.

Pokemon TCG isn't just designed exclusively for competitive, and I would much rather not see the meta shift to the latest and greatest BDIF every set that gets released. If this set is just here to curb the power creep for a few months, I'm totally okay with that.
Well when you put it like that, yeah, I completely agree. It's probably a good thing the set sucks for the most part.

OppositeAttract

Aspiring Trainer
I think this set it has a lot of pokemon that could immediately have an impact on world's just as Golisopod and Gardevoir did at last years. Rayquaza is really good, Shiftry seems solid albeit a stage 2, Swampert seems interesting, and even Altaria/ Scizor or Stakataka could have potential in theory if people put in the work. Even Articuno and Quagsire (whenever it comes out) should help Lapras box.

Dark Espeon

Dark Avatar

Actually Rayquaza GX is a deck on its own with all the support it has in terms of Mysterious Treasure and Latios Prism Star. Play the deck and you will see that it rivals Malamar decks in speed and damage potential. Until rotation there is also Mew from Fates Collide to mimic Latios Prism Star. Compared to Malamar the deck is a little more weak to abilities punishment but less wek to ability denial.

Lord Goomy

Got Goomies?
Or you could not play the card and your opponent will still have 6 one prize pokemon to knockout to win.
How else do you think we’re going to power up Goodra FLI? *wink*
...yeah, probably not.
Anywho, the Jirachi <> is the new and improved Greedy Dice but has to be in the Prize Cards in the first place by a 10% chance. This chance goes up 10% every time you use Rotom Dex (Reg.), for a maximum of 50%. If you can take 5 spaces out of your deck and have free Bench space, it’s a 50% chance you get to play a 5-Prize game. That’s a big if, though.
Beast Ball is just a 1 of in Buzzwole. That’s it.
As spoken, Electrode probably won’t be good. But then again, it doesn’t say [L] Energy, so if you can spare two prizes, (just bear with me) you can bring decks like Xerneas BREAK back to format. At max, you attach 4 DCE and a [Y] Energy, attach to some Xerneas BREAK, attach for turn, and hit for 220 turn two. The possibilities...! (assuming you have attached energy on turn 1 and 2.)

RisingRaichuu

Aspiring Trainer
Advanced Member
Am I the only one who thinks Electrode GX is TERRIBLE? You have to discard energy for its GX attack, it's regular attack is horrendous, and it's ability is TRASH since you don't get to give any energy to GXs AND your opponent takes 2 prizes. Complete bs.

Edit: I said it's attack isn't that good, but 2 energy for 50 damage and no effect is completely horrible.
No it's not. For example:
T1-Get a Mew from Fates Collide, a Guzzlord-GX and a Voltorb onto your bench. Wally the Voltorb into Electrode-GX and blow it up, attaching 5 energies (enough to use Guzzlord's attacks) onto the Mew. Your opponent now has 4 Prizes left, so spam Beast Rings until you've fully powered up Guzzlord.
You now have 2 fully powered Pokemon hitting for 180 a turn with the option to take 2 extra prizes with a KO, AND IT'S ONLY YOUR FIRST TURN.

gumball51321

*thumbs up*
No it's not. For example:
T1-Get a Mew from Fates Collide, a Guzzlord-GX and a Voltorb onto your bench. Wally the Voltorb into Electrode-GX and blow it up, attaching 5 energies (enough to use Guzzlord's attacks) onto the Mew. Your opponent now has 4 Prizes left, so spam Beast Rings until you've fully powered up Guzzlord.
You now have 2 fully powered Pokemon hitting for 180 a turn with the option to take 2 extra prizes with a KO, AND IT'S ONLY YOUR FIRST TURN.
You genuinely expect that to be possible? Okay, explain how you get 5 Energy in discard, Mew, Voltorb, Wally, Guzzlord, and Beast Rings T1?
The cards you have to draw are so specific that even trying to do that in 3 turns will completely blow up in your face because that's 2-3 turns that your opponent has to do something, anything to stop that.

OppositeAttract

Aspiring Trainer
The only deck I've really thought about playing Electrode GX is with Shining Genesect. Even in that case Electrode would be used as a way of controlling when you want to access your beast rings for Pheromosa, but I'm not even sure it would be better than the Venusuar Jungle totem engine.