skyla, catcher, candy and more

27th_wonder

pegasus boots: hyrule's finest and fastest
the card
SkylaColdFlare56.jpg

and the text
Search your deck for a Trainer card, reveal it, and put it into your hand. Shuffle your deck afterward.
You may play only 1 Supporter card during your turn (before your attack).

how good is this?

it means that rare candy and pokemon catcher are now far more playable, as well as things like max potion or ultra ball

not quite as good as cyrus, but still brilliant, right?

source: http://bulbanews.bulbagarden.net/wiki/Skyla_from_Cold_Flare,_Escape_Rope_from_Freeze_Bolt_revealed

Well, since it uses your supporter for the turn, I'm not too sure it'll see much play. :/

9Tailz said:
Well, since it uses your supporter for the turn, I'm not too sure it'll see much play. :/
Do you have any idea how many supporters there are in the new format? There aren't very many.

I personally think Skyla is going to see a lot of play in decks. Items are finally searchable!

But keep this in mind: It searches your deck for a Trainer card. Yeah, that means an Item, a Supporter, OR a Stadium.
Looks a lot more appealing now, doesn't she?

Fail on my part, I didn't realize it searched for all XD. In that case, yes, it will see a lot of play. I'm guessing 2-4 will be run.

Wow. Now that, is a card I've been waiting for. The fact that it uses your supporter for a turn really doesn't change much for me, because with the Ball Engine, searching out a Pokemon and using Skyla to grab a Rare Candy makes Stage 2's so much more playable.

As if Hydreigon/Garchomp wasn't good enough already...

I have something against this card. I can't even put my finger on why I dislike it, but for some reason it is just making me upset. I guess it is one of those things that shouldn't be good, but for some reason it will be found in a bunch of decks. It takes so much skill out of deck building. I don't think it is a good card, but I can't think of an argument as to why it is bad, so I'm just going to shut up.

I'm MUCH more excited for that Warp Point reprint.

That is a decent enough card. I think that many people will use it, but they won't use more than 2, which is simply because people will still want to use their draw supporters.

But, if it says Trainer does it mean I/S/S? That confuses me a little.

The only bad part of the card is that it's a Supporter. If it searched for something _and_ a Trainer, it would be so good, like maybe an Energy (it's already a watered down Cyrus anyway). I prefer the fact that Warp Point is coming back. I love that card so much.

dmaster out.

I think it could see a decent amout of play in a donk deck that just runs 4 Skyla and 4 RR. Turn 1 any card you need (Just about).

iisnumber12 said:
I think it could see a decent amout of play in a donk deck that just runs 4 Skyla and 4 RR. Turn 1 any card you need (Just about).

Is that considering that Skyla is a supporter, because if it is, then the deck won't work.

I think one deck a lot of people will run Skyla in is Darkrai/Hydreigon for Rare Candies.

blargh257 said:
But, if it says Trainer does it mean I/S/S? That confuses me a little.

DNA said:
But keep this in mind: It searches your deck for a Trainer card. Yeah, that means an Item, a Supporter, OR a Stadium.
-_-

Also, Warp Point reprint? First I've heard of it :D

I'm not happy to see that trainers are now searchable. This means there's very little separating them from Pokémon. It also means that they're now very restricted in the effects they can print on Trainers - especially Items.

However, it's certainly a new and exciting mechanic, and it will be interesting to see if/how the card is used. If we still don't have any non-supporter draw when this card is released, it's going to be hard to sacrifice a fresh hand for one card.

I'm much happier about the Warp Point reprint, at least for now. It shows they're trying to learn from their past successes. Or that they ran out of ideas, lol.

It shows they're trying to learn from their past successes. Or that they ran out of ideas, lol.
I think it's that they ran out of ideas, so they drew up a card that worked well in the past. Have you seen the Trainers nowadays? The only ones really worth playing are those from older sets, plus most of NV and ND, and a few from BW. They don't see much signs of change. I mean, look at Rescue Scarf. That's not a new effect at all.

Warp Point reprint? Yay!

But I really don't like Skyla. Rare Candy being searchable might be too good. And it takes skill out of deck building which I don't like. I can just imagine something like "Skyla Catcher gg", which isn't much different than going "Junk Arm Catcher game". And Ace Specs being searchable? That's not good, considering that being limited to one was their only check.

Ace Specs being searchable is fine, it takes the luck out of having to fish them out of your deck, now you have to assume your opponent will have it when they need it. They're pretty easily combatted with Tool Scrapper, especially the one that boosts HP to 300, since you can play Tool Scrapper and then knock White Kyurem out.

Back