Simple counters to Coballion (NV)

Cinema

Gyarados Bait
I have KyuremGatr built, and it seems to do pretty well in testing. I do have one main concern, and that is Coballion being able to one shot Kyurem after Kyurem, and my gatrs are only good for one attack, then will be locked out of attacking.

What I'm looking for is something that can OHKO Coballion that can fit in a 4-5 card slot.

Suicune/Entei LEGEND is the first thing that comes to mind. It OHKOs Cobalion, is possible to charge up with Gatr, and can tank hits pretty well. You'd have to run Rainbow or Fires (ideally Rainbow) but that shouldn't be a huge deal.

Gale said:
Suicune/Entei LEGEND is the first thing that comes to mind. It OHKOs Cobalion, is possible to charge up with Gatr, and can tank hits pretty well. You'd have to run Rainbow or Fires (ideally Rainbow) but that shouldn't be a huge deal.
That's true, but at the same time many Cobalion decks (including my own) run Scizor prime as well which will be immune to SEL if it had any Rainbow attached.

A Cobalion counter for Kyurem is a bit hard to say. In my Steel deck I run Levanny as well to get rid of the huge fire weakness cripple, not sure if this is the case with others. Though I am aware that all it takes is one catcher for Levanny to be finished.

Run fire, not rainbow, if that becomes a problem. Kyurgatr should be abusing Twins anyway, so it shouldn't be too hard to fish out. a 9/3 split of water/fire should be okay...though if you run Jirachi this probably won't work.

ChaosBlack said:
That's true, but at the same time many Cobalion decks (including my own) run Scizor prime as well which will be immune to SEL if it had any Rainbow attached.

A Cobalion counter for Kyurem is a bit hard to say. In my Steel deck I run Levanny as well to get rid of the huge fire weakness cripple, not sure if this is the case with others. Though I am aware that all it takes is one catcher for Levanny to be finished.

Turrent Blade around Scizor, and ko benched Cobalion until you can continue to attack with Kyurem.

Okay, so something like
1-1 SEL
2 Fire
2 Twins

I wasn't running twins initially because my build was more focused on getting the T2 Glaciate, but twins sounds like a decent addition, if I have room.

I'm tempted to say don't bother with the Fire/Rainbow. Balancing Water and Psychic (no, Jirachi is not optional) is hard enough and I'm reluctant to add another type.

All you would use is Torrent Blade, which Gatr can re-charge every turn. The two-prize liability on the card concerns me, but it is the best option right now.

The answer is simple, Reshiram. Plus even If it gets hit by Iron Breaker Reshiram can still OHKO it with Outrage and DCE.

Why not just tech in Ho-Oh Legend? With just 1 Shaymin, you can Rain Dance to Feraligatr and Celebrating Wind everything over Ho-Oh and sweep from there. And the Legend Rule doesn't apply to Ho-Oh so it isn't a 2 prize liability. Just play
1-1 Ho-Oh
1 Shaymin
2 Twins/whatever to be consistent

and I would think its more consistent too, because everything is searchable with Communication and you don't have to worry about getting energies.

^I always forget some people don't run it with Vileplume. In normal Kyrugatr, Ho-oh might be better, but at the same time, SEL's snipe is still pretty godly in any matchup.

Card Slinger J said:
The answer is simple, Reshiram. Plus even If it gets hit by Iron Breaker Reshiram can still OHKO it with Outrage and DCE.
Provided you get the retreat into something else, and then the switch to bring it back up. Easier said than done T_T

Furthermore, you need to KO more than one Cobalion to win that matchup.

Jirachi is _definitely_ optional. Especially if your particular meta is heavily dominated by basic decks (my meta isn't established too well yet). In testing though, it was always better to attack with Kyurem than spend a turn devolving, and more times than not I would never use Jirachi, and instead wished for the psychic energy to be waters for rain dance. I agree with not needing fires now, I seem to always forget that the water attack is still fire typed. I guess I'll leave one in, since it can't hurt, seeing as Kyurem uses WWC.

I have yet to play a single game against a Reshiram deck where I don't use Jirachi, and I've been lucky and only prized it like 2/15 games; I lost those two. It's also great against damage swap decks, since it means Reuniclus can only have 20 on it instead of 50, and Vileplume can only have 30 instead of 80.

Anyway, I think 3-4 Twins are necessary with SEL to get it out. I've found I catch back up on prizes fast, but almost never take the first prize, but even getting to use it once is great. It can also win you bad starts. Of course, as I've said before, I run Vileplume so Twins is necessary. I don't think you'll be able to get it out without a lot of Twins, though.

Also, remember that you're only getting two prizes from this. They better not set up a 3rd Cobalion, and be careful not to spread damage to Kyurem for Outrage, since SEL is water-weak.

Zoroark Foul Play is a nice tech since not only does it counter Cobalion, it also counters a lot of other pokemons out there. it may not ohko cobalion but it renders it useless once you foul play its iron beak. You can easily fit in a 2-2 zoroark foul play line in your deck.

Card Slinger J said:

When Cobalion attacks, you can attack Cobalion next turn.

If we are looking for something other than SEL, which seems to be the best bet, Zoroark seems like a good idea. I agree with Robert, Zoroark seems like a good idea as a simple tech for cobalion since it can also counter other decks, so it is not just a tech against one kind of deck. If you can foul play iron breaker before he does then you would be locking them instead. Also it only takes colorless energy so no need to add any other kind of energy.

If your up against Goth/Reuniclus and manage to set up SEL (unlikely, yes. impossible no) Then you basically win, since you can snipe reuniclus and sometimes even Vileplume if they're storing damage on it.

zoroark is a good counter vs. dragons and cobalion, it sounds like the scariest thing in the world to put up vs. a vanilluxe

Since Zoroark doesn't have Refliptini on its side usually, its only a 75% chance of the paralysis lock working against Vanilluxe, so there should be a decent chance of Vanilluxe being able to attack before it is KOed (too lazy to do actual math). Zoroark could work though, I suppose, but not perfectly.

In order to counter Cobalion you should look at what deck you're playing to see which part of Cobalion hurts the most.

If you're worried about Energy Press, try attaching your energy better, or play a ''sacrifical lamb'' while building up something for the sweep.

If you're worried about Iron Breaker (wether it be the 80 damage or the ''attack lock''), also play a ''sacrifical lamb'' to soak the damage and the ''attack lock'', and then counter attack when you're ready.

If you're worried about it tanking, try playing Lost Remover/Crushing Hammer. Removing the Sp. Metals will help you greatly, as well as setting back the Cobalion player a turn with it's manual energy attachments. Of course this won't help against the CaKE deck, but you could catch your opponent off guard.

In general, any fire type tech that can easily hit for 60 damage (when not factoring in Sp. Metals and/or Eviolite) is a good counter to Cobalion. I know I'm stating the obvious, so some examples are in place I guess (in terms of counters, I'll ignore Eviolite for now).

List of Fire type techs

- Reshiram (it requires 40 damage as well as 2 energy at a minimum to pull this off though)
- Typhlosion Prime (it can charge itself when needed and when playing the right energy type, and Cobalion needs 2 Sp. Metals to avoid the OHKO)
- Victini NV #15 (while it requires you to have 5 Benched Pokémon, and it will be revenge KO'ed quite easily, V Create is more than enough to take out any Cobalion (yes, even when loaded with Sp. Metals ánd an Eviolite attached!), the only thing that hinders Victini from being a truly ''good'' counter is it's meager 70HP.)
- Heatmor NV (''WHAT?! Heatmor?!'' Well, yes, Heatmor. While only doing 30 damage, Heatmor can get rid of those nasty Eviolites, as well as doing 60 damage. While Heatmor won't win you the game, it can sure prove to be a nuisance for Cobalion players who rely on their Eviolites too much)
- Simisear EP (can OHKO a Cobalion packing a single Sp. Metal energy for a fire energy and a DCE, at the cost of an energy discard)
- Simisear NV (can OHKO a Cobalion packing 2 Sp. Metal energy for 2 fire energy and somethign else, at the hopes of flipping at least 1 heads. Don't forget Fliptini can help out here too!)
- Simisear BW (can OHKO a Cobalion packing 2 Sp. Metal energy for 3 energy of any kind, and flipping at least 2 heads out of 3 flips. Once again, Fliptini can be quite helpful here)
- Darmanitan BW (for 1 fire energy and a DCE Darmanitan will OHKO Cobalion, even when packing a single Sp. Metal energy or an Eviolite. On a lucky flip you will OHKO it anyways (unless Cobalion packs some Defender), and on a tails the recoil won't matter that much. Fliptini can help you out here too)
- Emboar BW (both versions have enough attacking power to wipe Cobalion clean off the board. Do I need to say more?)
- Any fire type LEGEND (will outright destroy Cobalion, where SEL and ERL require some dedication, they both come with their own ''second trick'' in the form of power-nuking and sniping abillities, Ho-Oh LEGEND can work with anything you slap onto it (thanks to it's body), but any of these 3 will OHKO Cobalion)

Those are some counters I can think of, just see what appeals to you, and what might fit into your deck. If you have something like ''Hey, why isn't [insert card name here] on your list?'', then I probably couldn't think of it, or it just isn't enough to slice the CaKE (bad pun, sorry) in the competitive attacking format at all (a prime example is Houndoom prime, which should just sit on the bench in my opinion).

Finally I would like to say that Cobalion itself and Zoroark are your best bets to counter Cobalion if you're not looking at a Fire type counter (but this has been said already, so no need for me to go into detail here).

Good luck!!

Back