Should Tropical Beach Get Reprinted or Banned?

Riskbreakers

The Brilliant Star☆
I wish they do. A trading card game has no business printing good cards just for specific people.

They should just reprint Tropical Beach with a different name. That way people who are so in love with their exclusive cards can play it and other competitive players don't need to toss out hundreds of dollars just to have a competitive edge.

Mora

Don't Panic
Riskbreakers said:
I wish they do. A trading card game has no business printing good cards just for specific people.

They should just reprint Tropical Beach with a different name. That way people who are so in love with their exclusive cards can play it and other competitive players don't need to toss out hundreds of dollars just to have a competitive edge.

That would still drop the price of Tropical Beach, making it a sore reward for judging and participating at Worlds.

Riskbreakers

The Brilliant Star☆
Mora said:
Riskbreakers said:

That would still drop the price of Tropical Beach, making it a sore reward for judging and participating at Worlds.

No one ever complained about this when the Worlds' promo was horrible competitively. No one went "oh this card should not get a price drop (reprint) because it's so rare".

Drop the double standards already, most people who don't want Tropical Beach reprinted/renamed are those who just want to keep a very playable card for themselves. Some would even say it's due to their insecurity that if that card went to the general public, they'd probably lose their only advantage over them. (this especially applies to those who threw hundreds of dollars on T. Beach) If you look at MTG, all the broken + almost inaccessible cards are all banned in all formats and restricted to one copy in Legacy. A trading card game should never print good cards in a very limited quantity. It destroys the market. This also magnifies with the new rules in effect making a T1 beach the best play ever in almost every deck.

Mora

Don't Panic
Riskbreakers said:
No one ever complained about this when the Worlds' promo was horrible competitively. No one went "oh this card should not get a price drop (reprint) because it's so rare".

Probably because the demand for it was so low. I can't imagine the price was anything like what Beach is, but even if i was, you probably didn't have people dish out a few hundred dollars to optimize their deck just to find they could have waited a few weeks and spent a fraction of the price. I don't think that is fair either. I will agree it is a catch-22 sort of situation.

Riskbreakers said:
Drop the double standards already, most people who don't want Tropical Beach reprinted/renamed are those who just want to keep a very playable card for themselves. Some would even say it's due to their insecurity that if that card went to the general public, they'd probably lose their only advantage over them.

Because THAT is what the people who have a copy of Beach are concerned about--the very people who spent the money and time to attend worlds or at the very least were prepared to drop some serious cash for a Beach. No, the people who have a copy of Beach have plenty of other advantages. Consider skill. They certainly aren't worried about having to play on a level playing ground. (Plus, playing Beach let's your opponent use the effect, so the magnitude of that advantage really isn't as great anyway.)

SynxS1N

Follow your heart...
Either way I'd be happy. It not being a "good reward" isn't a valid argument because any person who wanted to sell it most likely already has. It's unfair that only people who attended worlds or have the money get this huge advantage. It imbalances the game. I feel sorry for anyone who dropped the cash if it does get banned but that reason alone doesn't make banning it not viable. Creating a promo version would solve this problem as well. It's just like creating tins, making more expensive cards easier to get. Reprinting under a different name also lets current beach owners keep their exclusivity.

And a price drop would only hurt the people who bought their copies because, like I said before, anyone who wanted to sell their beach most like already has. Either way it'd be nice to see something done about this card.

scREAM

Professor Scream
As someone who has a playset + extras of tropical beach, who have earnt most of them (the others being gifts from retiring players), this is the biggest mockery of a joke since the Wailord EX. Tropical Beach has always been a reward for those who attended worlds, now it's champions festival and I can understand how people find it unfair that they can't get it. I also can understand how people like me find this unfair that they have won their rewards and would be unable to play them.

Options
1.Make TB a promo (under a different name), not in tins etc but a league promo- this will increase the amount of people attending leagues I guarantee it.
2.Just deal with it and grow up, cause really their are plenty of decks that function without beach(my favorite)
3. Ban it from all events par worlds.

Just some food for thought, also people do need to remember it was banned for a select few tournaments in Japan not the world, also Japan have completely different rulesets in terms of rotations etc having being able to used all BW cards still or they have just rotated just recently.

socery

I love being bad
Why did Pokemon Released Tropical Beach?

So let us go back in time to 2011. The finals are Marco Facchin vs. Christopher Kan. They are playing Yanmega/Magnezone/Kingdra and Typhlosion/Reshiram. Everybody gets this card, Tropical Beach, and thinks it is bad. Like dirt-cheap. Zoom forward. Beaches are now going from $100-$250! And the people who just wanna have fun ('80s reference) have to opt to lose or not play in tournaments because of this EXTREMELY expensive card. Also, the other decks use $15-$20 SINGLES. Did Pokemon predict this? Why would they do something which they would be criticized heavily for? I think it is pretty clear that people who played beach won (or at least on some occasions). I just wanted to bring up this topic which I think was a VERY heavy misplay (stupid joke #2). Tell me what you think because I am very interested and think it is a topic that affected (or effected?) the PTCG for a while.

Auride

Periodic Visitor
RE: Why did Pokemon Released Tropical Beach?

Not really sure what you mean to say here. If not even the competitive players predicted predicted that Tropical Beach would be any good, then you can hardly put fault on TPC for printing it.

That said, it wound up being a very well balanced card in play. It's not particularly over-powered, but it does confer SOME advantage to the players of SOME decks over those who opt to not use it. It allows for many slower, clunkier decks to be somewhat more playable. It is and was never, by any means, a necessary card for competitive play. Most popular decks are fast enough to not really need it, and those that do make good use of it can typically do without it.

However, I still do find it unfortunate that Tropical Beach ended up having even the degree of restriction that it did. Unfortunately, TPC was stuck in a position between the people who demanded a more accessible reprint of the card, and those who complained that suck a reprint would devalue their hard-earned reward. In the end, their decision to let it rotate out of play was probably the safest compromise.

So to answer your questions, no, of course TPC didn't predict the level of play Tropical Beach would receive - no one did. They didn't do it with any knowledge that they'd be criticized for it ("heavily" is a bit of an exaggeration. There are those who are much happier for its existence). And it is "affected".

Blah

DBT

I think the statement "Tropical Beach is bad for the game" is a flawed statement.

The more correct statement is "Tropical Beach's price is bad for the game." And yes, it was stupid of TPCi to print it. The company has made its fair share of mistakes, and Beach is just another one of them. Having such a good card restricted only to players who could pay upwards of 200$ for it is inherently bad for the game because it promotes a "pay to win" atmosphere and puts players with less money at a disadvantage. Auride, you argue that most decks don't need it, but there are tournaments where the best deck choice requires Beach, thereby putting players without Beach at a disadvantage from the rest of the field.

Keep in mind this is coming from someone who almost always has access to beaches due to having friends that can lend me them. Most people aren't that lucky.

ViehTee

Aspiring Trainer

I think the main problem in the whole beach story is pokemon catcher. In a Format with catcher Beach was awful. You just had not the turn for redrawing cause catcher, boom. So no one expects Beach being that good. Sure some people played it with Blastoise, but in Europe it costs 10-15€ per card, so it was okay. But than TPCI did a mistake and couldn't combine good enough. Releasing a 2012 Beach was the mistake, but only the catcher nerf made it that good. (/edit: also the first turn attack rule made beach more worth of course) Every good player knew, beach will be playable and I'm happy with getting my Beaches for 20€ each. 3 weeks after I got mine it was 50€+ for one.
(I used European prices, because I don't know the American price history of beach, but I guess it's quite similar)

I'm just wandering if TPCI will be inspirated by Japan and ban Tropical Beach in extended.

skullvarnish

Rocket's M Venusaur EXLV.X☆exPrimeSPDelta Species
If you think the price on Beach is bad, you should see YCS prize cards in Yugioh. If we're talking about a really good one such as Number 106: Giant Hand. We're talking about 700-1000 dollars per copy for a card that has more copies floating around than there is of Beach.

Not that I'm defending Beach's price. I definitely think it creates a sort of pay to win atmosphere, and I think that's not good in a competitive game like Pokemon.

I do sort of feel like a reprint should have happened, because with it rotating, the problem just persists in Extended.

grantm1999

VileGar
Pay to win is a dumb concept. You need to metagame, build a great list, and play skillfully to win (and have some luck). In every format since Beach's release there have been top tier decks that don't require beach. I have qualified for Worlds the past two years without the use of Tropical Beach (I've used it twice during the season and never got CP with it).

That being said Beach's availability is unhealthy for the game because while there are still many viable options without beach, you'll still be limited to an extent if you don't have access to them. I was excited they are finally getting rotated but then BAM extended. Hopefully it will get banned or decrease in price.

Ironman131

Aspiring Trainer
Beach should be rotated and not be legal for any play. The extended format is stupid and shouldnt count towards anything, it takes the strategy out of the game. People can see a deck that was played the day before by many players and just play a deck that completly counters it instead of the deck they played originally.

The-Kaiser

Starfleet Captain and Pokemon Trainer
Would be nice to see it printed as a normal card in a normal Card set like XY4 or 5 :).

Ironman131

Aspiring Trainer
It would be different if it were printed in a set. Then people that are just getting into the game would have access to the card and could potentially make more decks.

Soundwave

Aspiring Trainer
Even if they made this card available to the public, they would still create a new card to reward the Worlds players.

grantm1999

VileGar
Soundwave said:
Even if they made this card available to the public, they would still create a new card to reward the Worlds players.

Yeah but the difference is that all the Worlds Promos are crappy unplayable cards except Beach.

skullvarnish

Rocket's M Venusaur EXLV.X☆exPrimeSPDelta Species
Ironman131 said:
Beach should be rotated and not be legal for any play. The extended format is stupid and shouldnt count towards anything, it takes the strategy out of the game. People can see a deck that was played the day before by many players and just play a deck that completly counters it instead of the deck they played originally.

Why would you change to a deck that counters what was being played a lot day 1 when those people are just as likely to change decks? People keep giving this as a reason Extended is supposedly bad, but it makes no sense.

Anyways, hopefully Beach drops in price with it only being playable in Extended, or even better they just ban it.

Ironman131

Aspiring Trainer
I dont think extended should be part of a tournament that was standard the first day. It is completly changing the game. If the day to extended tournaments are not part of the standard tournamnet then that is a different story. If someone makes a good standard deck that can compete with other standard decks, But cant compete with cards like accelgor then they are screwed day 2. People should go to a tournamnet with a strategy in mind and not change the strategy in the midle of the game.

The extended format also puts players that have not been playing long at a severe disadvantage because they may not know what cards do and may not have access to cards from early black and white sets.