Should Tropical Beach Get Reprinted or Banned?

Card Slinger J

Aspiring Trainer
I know that Tropical Beach isn't the staple card that some people hype it up to be but what I've noticed is that for specific competitive setup decks that run Stage 2's nowadays like Blastoise/Keldeo and Emboar (Inferno Fandango) is that it needs 2+ Tropical Beach in order to compete. I find this unfair due to the scarcity of the card itself and because of the new X / Y TCG Rule Changes I hear it's going to keep going up in demand like crazy unless TPCi does something to make it more accessible to players like they recently did with Pokemon Catcher in Plasma Blast until they nerfed it into Pokemon Reversal.

Did any of the top decks at Worlds 2013 and at the Klacyznski Open this year run 2-3 Tropical Beach? I heard that Lex who won the Klaczynski Open this year in his division didn't run any Tropical Beach for his winning Darkrai/Garbodor decklist, not sure If Klacyznski himself ran 2-3 Tropical Beach in his Darkrai/Sableye deck that he won in the Masters division at Worlds 2013. One of my friends whose been playing the TCG competitively since HGSS was Modified legal is quitting the game to become a Pokemon Judge from what he told me and he already owns 2-3 copies of Tropical Beach that he could easily sell for a profit. I think Tropical Beach right now is going for around the same price as Jace, the Mind Sculptor in MTG.

I personally think they should print it as a Secret rare with maybe as high as 1/1booster box type pull but at least it would make it available to the community. it would still remain prob at least $75+ but at least it would be in circulation. That or allow us to use other language copies of cards as long as they have been printed in English and are still in the modified format.I don't know what they can really do or if they will really do anything, but I agree that something should be done.

It definitely shouldn't be banned because of how much it helps out the setup decks to be viable in this format. Instead, it should be reprinted so it's avaliable to the players who can't spend hundreds of dollars on a couple cards. The problem is, when the new first turn rule is implemented, the price will probably rise even more because it will be very strong because it allows the player going first to do something other than pass. I'm really hoping it gets reprinted.

I believe it should be reprinted, but due to its value, it would make its included packs' cost go up as a whole(but maybe not by that much since there may be other cards in some) just because of its pricetag alone. If it is to be reprinted, I believe it should either be in a tin where it can be the top card in the tin, so that everyone can afford it more than they could have had it been in the boosters, or sold at Play! Pokemon events via the card vendors in such events...

Tropical Beach needs to stay rare. It is a reward for making it into Worlds. The value of the card will take a huge dive if it got rereleased.

Why should the card be banned? It isn't fair to ban a card just because not everyone has access to it. Any Trading Card Game will have some extremely rare and powerful cards.

I could care less If the card value of Tropical Beach took a nosedive as long as it's more accessible to players who want to build specific decks that need it but can't. Not everyone gets a ticket to Worlds or has the money to shell $400+ for 2 copies in order to compete with Blastoise / Keldeo or any other Stage 1/Stage 2 Setup deck at Battle Roads and other Sanctioned Events.

Maybe you wouldn't care if the value took a huge dive, but I bet the people who earned their Tropical Beaches by either participating or judging at Worlds might be. Especially think of how much judges give up so the players can have a fun event. They are likely taking a week off from work and not all employers give a lot of vacation time. It also is very selective even being a judge for the event. You need to have a very good judging history to have a chance to be on the staff list. I end up taking several days off work each year just to judge events, and not all of them with pay since I don't have unlimited PTO. For something to get devalued greatly just for that would be completely unfair to them.

Players that didn't get a travel award likely spent over 1000 just to attend Worlds and that doesn't even include how much they spent going to Regionals which could also easily be a couple hundred dollars.

I received my one and only Tropical Beach as a gift from a very good friend of mine who spent basically his whole week down in San Diego for 2011. I have since never parted with it, because I know how special it is, and it's special to me as well.

It is unfortunate that it's almost required for a lot of decks to perform well, but unfortunately that's how the format is right now. As a player, I'd like Tropical Beach, or at least an equivalent thereof, to be more readily available to players so they don't have to shell out so much money over it, but as a judge, I would appreciate that Tropical Beach stay...well, exclusive.

A possible solution is to have a card printed in a future set with the same, or a similar, effect to Tropical Beach, possibly watered down a bit (for example, draw until 6 and pass), just to give those people a bit of a leg-up.

tl;dr:

Should it get reprinted? Maybe.
Should it get banned?

1zztcoj.gif

I heard some people discuss this at league today. They all said it shouldn't get reprinted. They all had 2-3 of the card themselves :p
I do think it should get reprinted, but, as stated, with a different name. I happen to hate a format where the only viable T1 option costs more than the entire rest of the deck.

Since this is a very opinion based thread I'll go ahead and throw my opinion out:
I'm fine with Beach like it is as long as there are always 2-3 decks that can function without beach. I don't think it is fair to force anyone who wants to play competitively to buy 3 beach for $600. That would just be insane.

camoclone said:
Since this is a very opinion based thread I'll go ahead and throw my opinion out:
I'm fine with Beach like it is as long as there are always 2-3 decks that can function without beach. I don't think it is fair to force anyone who wants to play competitively to buy 3 beach for $600. That would just be insane.

There are 2-3 decks that work without beaches but the issue is most on them are focused on first turn damage or setup attacks that use attacks like sableye and victini ex.

That is why beaches are rising in price because now the setup attacks decks can utilize it opposed to they normal attacks for similar advantage .

Cortel II said:
camoclone said:

There are 2-3 decks that work without beaches but the issue is most on them are focused on first turn damage or setup attacks that use attacks like sableye and victini ex.

That is why beaches are rising in price because now the setup attacks decks can utilize it opposed to they normal attacks for similar advantage .
I understand that however do they need beach to function? No! There are also times when I might not run beach in those decks.

The biggest problem is that even if every player had $600 dollars to shell out on 3 beach, there are not enough beach in circulation for that to happen. I think that something needs to be done, because the card is simply not accessible enough.

Magic puts promo cards when you buy a box, pokemon should do the same pre-order a box and get a tropical beach. It would help raise box sales and the price wouldn't be as low as a starter deck or league promo.

I think that it would juts be a better idea to print a card with a similar effect, say shuffle in then draw 5, turn ends. It would keep beach unique and prestigious, yet allowing other players to simply go buy a similar card to run.

RegiReal said:
I think that it would juts be a better idea to print a card with a similar effect, say shuffle in then draw 5, turn ends. It would keep beach unique and prestigious, yet allowing other players to simply go buy a similar card to run.
You also have to think, if you're going to a large event, with hardcore players, won't they be running beach...you could always just....use theirs? xD

RegiReal said:
You also have to think, if you're going to a large event, with hardcore players, won't they be running beach...you could always just....use theirs? xD

Sure you could use the effect of your opponent's Tropical Beach If they run them but against a player who doesn't run any copies If you're running a Stage 2 Setup deck that needs Beach for that drawpower consistency especially how vital it will be with the new 1st turn Rules for XY with a 1st turn Skyla, you're still going to be at a huge disadvantage as compared to not needing Beach for running Basics and Empoleon which is the only Stage 2 Setup deck in the format that can work competitively without Beach but with Champions Festival it's amazing.

I'm reviving this thread because of something my friend said. Apparently they've already banned Tropical Beach in Japan, and they were thinking about it banning in the U.S. as well. Is there any truth to this? I don't have the connections to know. I bought a Beach and would be really disappointed if now I couldn't use it. Do I need to go ahead and liquidate it?

Before OMG BEACH IS BANNED posts start coming in...

Beach has been "banned" from ONE set of tournaments in Japan. Actually, it isn't just beach: it's all world promos. It is unclear whether they plan to do the same for future events.

However, there has been zero mention of any kind of ban anywhere else in the world, much less than the U.S. Any rumor stating otherwise is completely false. I have friends who know a lot of players from Japan and I learned as much as I could about the situation. The Japan players seem surprised too; especially since it's odd to see this kind of major rule change just implemented at one tournament.

King Arceus said:
Maybe you wouldn't care if the value took a huge dive, but I bet the people who earned their Tropical Beaches by either participating or judging at Worlds might be. Especially think of how much judges give up so the players can have a fun event. They are likely taking a week off from work and not all employers give a lot of vacation time. It also is very selective even being a judge for the event. You need to have a very good judging history to have a chance to be on the staff list. I end up taking several days off work each year just to judge events, and not all of them with pay since I don't have unlimited PTO. For something to get devalued greatly just for that would be completely unfair to them.

Players that didn't get a travel award likely spent over 1000 just to attend Worlds and that doesn't even include how much they spent going to Regionals which could also easily be a couple hundred dollars.
They could instead just y'know, pay the judges in actual money.

Blah said:
Before OMG BEACH IS BANNED posts start coming in...

Beach has been "banned" from ONE set of tournaments in Japan. Actually, it isn't just beach: it's all world promos. It is unclear whether they plan to do the same for future events.

However, there has been zero mention of any kind of ban anywhere else in the world, much less than the U.S. Any rumor stating otherwise is completely false. I have friends who know a lot of players from Japan and I learned as much as I could about the situation. The Japan players seem surprised too; especially since it's odd to see this kind of major rule change just implemented at one tournament.
Probably for the same reason event 'mons get banned from tourney play in the video game, it's unfair to those that couldn't get it.

Also why is everyone saying they're so expensive? I've found a few for $40 and under.

You're probably looking at either the Worlds deck promos (which are worthless) or different language ones. English Tropical Beach is about 190 for an unstamped right now.

Back