Should the Wii U Play (3)DS Games?

Blob55

Aspiring Trainer
Back when the Gamecube was around, you could buy the Gameboy player. A device which lets you play all Gameboy, Color and Advance games.

Since it's been a couple of console generations, does anyone else think that DS and 3DS games should be playable on the Wii U? You could use the touch pad for the bottom screen and the TV for the top screen.
I would like to see one, as I like to play games on a big screen and I don't like playing on handhelds very long. Especially since my 3DS is heavier than the Wii U's gamepad.

Note that I'm NOT talking about the eshop. I think you should be able to buy an extension for the Wii U, so you can play your own DS games. Also, the eshop only sells popular DS games. I'm talking about any DS and 3DS game. Plus the eshop ones are gamepad only. I want to be able to play them on the TV and gamepad, or even have a choice.

If you don't like the 3DS screen size, buy an XL. If it's the size of the system that bothers you, buy a 2DS.

Also, how can you complain about playing on handhelds when 1) that's what the Wii U game pad is and 2) even if you're looking at the TV screen instead of the game pad, guess what you're still playing on?

PMJ said:
If you don't like the 3DS screen size, buy an XL. If it's the size of the system that bothers you, buy a 2DS.

Also, how can you complain about playing on handhelds when 1) that's what the Wii U game pad is and 2) even if you're looking at the TV screen instead of the game pad, guess what you're still playing on?

I already have a 3DSXL and it's really heavy and even though I prefer games on computers and TVs to handhelds, at least only half of everything would be on the Wii U's gamepad. Plus it isn't even the shape that annoys me. I just don't like having my head looking down the whole time, or having my arms up.

That's just not realistic because the screens aren't right next to each other with the Wii U. The DS and 3DS work well because both screens are right there in your field of vision. You'd have to hold the game pad right in front of your face, slightly below the TV, or something. It just sounds way too awkward.

But since you bring up the GB Player, which was an accessory for the Gamecube, maybe they could release something that attaches to the game pad as a second screen and a place to put the DS/3DS game. But that still seems really awkward, and it would probably end up costing just about as much as a used 3DS/2DS.

Blob55 said:
PMJ said:

I already have a 3DSXL and it's really heavy and even though I prefer games on computers and TVs to handhelds, at least only half of everything would be on the Wii U's gamepad. Plus it isn't even the shape that annoys me. I just don't like having my head looking down the whole time, or having my arms up.

2959595348_8f7d11fa4f.jpg

Try this:

Icarus-Stand.png

Now you can play without actually holding the system.

Interest concept, but it falls apart in practice. It might be fine for some games where the bottom screen is just like a menu or whatever that has no bearing at all on the main screen, but a lot of games use both screens and their proximity in a way that can't really be accurately done with the separate gamepad and TV. I think an attachment thing like skullvernish mentioned would be slightly more realistic, though because of the price, probably not something that would actually happen.

Mostly what I got out of this thread is that I am now picturing how awful a lot of DS and 3DS games would look on a huge screen TV.

Blob55 said:
PMJ said:

That's exactly why I ended up returning my DS XL because it's heavier, harder to handle and the bigger screen makes it much easier to see the shapes of the sprites than my beloved DS Lite.
I think that the WiiU should indeed play handheld games, namely the ones from the 3DS. The 3DS could even serve as a second GamePad if the WiiU allowed (which I think it doesn't and all other player have to use a Wii mote or something).

If you guys have literal issues holding up your 3DSXL because of its weight then you might need to start working out.

But in all seriousness, do you guys honestly want to buy an attachment for the WiiU to play games that will look much worse on a large screen compared to the screen size it's made for..? I had that Gameboy player attached to my GameCube, and it was cool for about 10 minutes.

I think DS games coming to the eShop is really the only thing that should be happening (and thankfully it is, just slowly...). It's honestly enough for me.

dmaster out.

DevinTheWelf said:
If you guys have literal issues holding up your 3DSXL because of its weight then you might need to start working out.

But in all seriousness, do you guys honestly want to buy an attachment for the WiiU to play games that will look much worse on a large screen compared to the screen size it's made for..? I had that Gameboy player attached to my GameCube, and it was cool for about 10 minutes.

There might have to be a software mod to solve certain problems that'll arise from playing 3DS games on a big screen and a WiiU but I wouldn't mind because that device you're talking about, since the support for a 2nd Gamepad isn't present, would be a viable option for having something like it.

Porting DS games to the Wii U isn't nearly as simple as porting GB games to GC. Two screens and numerous functions that were non-existent back then make it way harder. Plus, as many have said, the games were made for small screens. Playing GB games on TV was kinda cool, but the graphics were terrible. I don't think it's gonna be much different with the DS and Wii...

does the wii u even have the processing power to emulate 3ds games, esp. when it's a totally different hardware architecture and it has to be rendered in HD to not look like upscaled 480p garbage? I doubt they'd make 3ds hardware to physically attach to the console like the gamecube gameboy player was, so emulating is the only option and that doesn't even seem technically possible.

Starboard Driger said:
does the wii u even have the processing power to emulate 3ds games, esp. when it's a totally different hardware architecture and it has to be rendered in HD to not look like upscaled 480p garbage? I doubt they'd make 3ds hardware to physically attach to the console like the gamecube gameboy player was, so emulating is the only option and that doesn't even seem technically possible.

I thought I heard something about it having trouble emulating certain things (Game Boy Advance, maybe?), so I'm not sure. I'm sure it's not impossible, probably just really difficult/ not worth it to pull off for Nintendo.

Blob55 said:
Back when the Gamecube was around, you could buy the Gameboy player. A device which lets you play all Gameboy, Color and Advance games.

I have that. You do not know how much fun Pokémon is on a BIG screen television.

omahanime said:
Blob55 said:

I have that. You do not know how much fun Pokémon is on a BIG screen television.

Yeah, I played my brothers Sapphire on the TV using GB Player.

Back