Shadowless Base set

Just a tip about the red cheeked and yellow cheeked Pikachus.

In the 1st Edition Shadowless print run, the yellow cheek is the rare one.

If you open booster packs of these you will only ever open red cheeks, because the yellow ones never made it to booster packs. The only place you could get the yellow cheeked Pikachu was in the ZAP theme deck.

Unless of course your Red Cheeked Shadowless Pikachu has an E3 stamp, then you're in the money haha.

DJGigabyte said:

If you open booster packs of these you will only ever open red cheeks, because the yellow ones never made it to booster packs. The only place you could get the yellow cheeked Pikachu was in the ZAP theme deck.

Then nether would be rare. The red cheeks has the pull rates of the packs, but yellow cheeks occurs in ZAP theme deck. ZAP theme decks are not rare.

DJGigabyte said:
Unless of course your Red Cheeked Shadowless Pikachu has an E3 stamp, then you're in the money haha.

They are pricy.

omahanime said:
Then nether would be rare. The red cheeks has the pull rates of the packs, but yellow cheeks occurs in ZAP theme deck. ZAP theme decks are not rare.

Okay, the yellow one is rarer than the red one. Not by loads, but a bit.

DJGigabyte said:
Okay, the yellow one is rarer than the red one. Not by loads, but a bit.

Agreed. I only mentioned to prevent lesser informed members from getting the wrong impression.

The Pikachu that comes with the CD Promo is that just a regular yellow cheek base set one ?

Sorry if this is slightly off topic but it was about Pikachu

ThatPokemonCollector said:
The Pikachu that comes with the CD Promo is that just a regular yellow cheek base set one ?

Sorry if this is slightly off topic but it was about Pikachu

It is not off topic. But was it 1st edition?

Not first edition. It's shadowless and yellow cheeked. Looks identical to all others, but it's printed on Japanese card stock, so you can tell the difference if you handle them.

A Shadowless Yellow Cheek Pikachu from the shadowless ZAP decks are probably worth a dollar or two, not a huge demand.

The one from the CD is worth more, but not close to $14. The CDs themselves go from around $40-60 at the moment, and that includes not only the Pikachu but 10 other promo cards, as well as the CD itself.

Since the card is identical bar the card stock, it only really has desirability towards completionists.

Card stock is the material that the cards are printed on to, like, the actual piece of cards. The Japanese cards use a different (and far better) type than English cards.

And it was done around the time that the first English cards came out, just kind of showing off what was happening overseas. Not the only time it was done.

I've never handled one personally, but I have it on good authority that you can feel the difference.

Did you open the CD yourself? If you bought the card as a single it's possible you just have an English one.

OMIGOSH! thanks so much you guys.....its been so long (10+? years) since i bought my cd w 10 cards (was sealed and just released then)....i never really thought about that 1 english pikachu in the japanese set BUT....i just checked my pikachu pages.....read this then worried i may have traded it away many years ago.....and lo and behold there...it is mint...shadowless yellow cheeks english pikachu ...BUT its japanese...it feels it and i can see it if i look at the back of it beside a US made wizards english card!! I still have all 10 cards and all are mint brand new condition!

DJGigabyte said:
Just a tip about the red cheeked and yellow cheeked Pikachus.

I actually had the E3 one but I actually traded it because I was barely into Pokemon and at the time I kind of still hated it at the time. I now regret doing that trade because If I had not liked Pokemon I probably would still have it. I think I had an E3 Charmeleon too but can't remember what happened to that one XD.:)

If you were barely into Pokémon how did you end up with it in the first place? They're incredibly rare (unless it had yellow cheeks, in which case it came in a magazine and isn't worth much).

And there's no such thing as an E3 Charmeleon, you may be thinking of the one with the Golden W stamp.

I got mine from Nintendo Power and as I recall my sister traded it for the base or Jungle Eevee XD.:)

Back