Serperior help needed.

MrGatr

Goin Rogue Baby :DDD
I've been wanting to build a deck with Serperior for a long time now. I've tried so many different variants, and now with BW ON, I have a better chance to actually get him out. Can anybody help me find a good deck/partner for him?? Please explain the strategy too

This card honestly doesn't have a lot of redeeming qualities. His type is pretty good in that not too many people play Fire (gotta watch out for Emboar variants...), and his Resistance could be useful come Blastoise/Keldeo.

The problem is his damage output is just so low for two Energies, not to mention he is a Stage 2 meaning you have to expend a lot of resources to get him out (and multiples to stack). The effect of the attack is pretty cool because you can move Energies like EXP Share without the use of the tool (therefore not needing to worry about Tool Scrapper).

My initial idea would be to pair it with Terrakion and possibly Landorus..? It is another Energy type which is kind of meh, but at least they have more damaging attacks for 80/90. You could stall with Serperior (can heal the damage from Landorus's Gaia Hammer which is a pretty neat trick) and use Leaf Tornado to power up a Terrakion ready to Retaliate, but the idea still seems super weak when compared with the other decks that will be in the format. Pairing it with the Fighting types does give you a little edge against Darkrai+Electric based Pokemon however, so there's that.

dmaster out.

Snivy being one of my favorites from the new generation, I also wish Serperior was useful for the meta. But like my other favorites, Archeops, Electross, and Chandelure, the cards just fall short of playability sans Chandelure back before the NEXt Desitines set. Maybe there is some genius rouge deck that can be made with these cards, but nothing huge as of now with the cards we have. Deffinitly some decent league decks can be created with Serperior such as combining him with Reuniclus and a high HP pokemon like the EXs.

Ahhh. I know man. I wish I could build a Serperior deck as well. Unfortunately, two for 60 is garbage, to say the least. Now, healing is nice, but you only remove one damage counter where heavy hitting Basics just scoff at trying to remove ten points of damage. Any Pokemon 2HKOs Serperior nowadays, and you need two turns to set one up. If we had Sunflora from HGSS, we may have something, but we don't really have anything for Grass-type decks at the moment.

You could try the Truth with Serperior instead of Vileplume, but it doesn't really do much. It's just not a great. The card just lacks power & friends to play it with.

Blui129 said:
You could try the Truth with Serperior instead of Vileplume, but it doesn't really do much. It's just not a great. The card just lacks power & friends to play it with.

Well, replacing Vileplume with Serperior won't make it a Truth deck now, won't it? ;]

No, but what you could do is replace Reuniclus with Serperior and use Gothitelle as a Vileplume replacement. Reuniclus is definitely one of the hardest Pokemon to get out with Solosis having 30 HP and Darkrai EX being in the format, but Serperior doesn't suffer from that. It's also not as strong because you're healing one damage counter between turns rather than moving them around but that is an option.

dmaster out.

But personally, I think that using Reuniclus in Truth decks is more convenient than Serperior in the long term. But still, I think that Serperior will become a little more effective given the right deck build and playstyle.

I would try pairing Serperior with Registeel EX and possibly the regular Tornadus. The combination of Energy moving from Tornadus with Leaf Storm and healing on Serperior allows you to set up a field with huge threat density turn after turn. Mewtwo EX is also good to have, and helps to shore up the direct power level of the deck. I could actually imagine a deck like this doing OK at Battle Roads. But to be honest, I really don‘t know. Maybe run something like this as your Pokemon lines?

3-2-3 Serperior
3 Tornadus
2 Registeel EX
2 Mewtwo EX

Leaf Storm is a huge asset, by the way. I know it‘s not Shaymin, but it does help you maintain threat density by putting your Energy on fresh attackers in bad situations. All it takes to turn the game around suddenly is one Energy previously on Serperior, which
isn‘t hard to achieve with Tornadus.

I ran Serperior/Reuniclus/Vileplume + techs while chandybeach was popular and it was a somewhat surprisingly strong deck but it has its obvious flaws. I'll give you the list if you are just looking for a starting point. Really though without something to boost Serperior's healing capabilities it isn't worth the space because 10healing/turn just isn't worth getting a stage 2 out. The 60dmg it puts out is ok if you can heal effectively with it, but that really requires Reuniclus.

If you can somehow get three stage twos out at once, it sounds like Gothitelle, Reuniclus, and Serperior could be a dangerous combo to face against, healing at a minimum of 60 damage per turn with a full bench, and a mighty 120 with two out. With the rotation maybe this is the best time for a deck like this since the format is slower. Although, no twins hurts that deck.

Before Mewtwo, I used to play a lost zone deck that had Gengar, Vileplume, Reuniclus, and Bellosom. It started out VERY slow but with Twins that was no problem. Since Bellosom shares pre-evolutions with Vileplume, I had no trouble getting out Bellosom. Infact, any other oddish and glooms that I pulled after the initial Vileplume was up werent dead draws so it helped much more with consistancy than Blissy did.

ANYWAYS If I had the cards I would build Previously mentioned Serperior deck as a fun league deck. Doesnt seem like a bad idea.

Well, the thought of using Serperior did cross my mind quite a few times. A major difference between this format and last includes the loss of Junk Arm. Knowing that, should your opponent feel that Serperior is a threat to them and use a Catcher to KO one, that's one less attack on your main attackers and that's one less catcher they have in their deck to use. Perhaps combining Serperior with Pokemon types that effectively cover your meta could prove to be a decent idea, in theory.

Thanks for all the help guys. I'm currently testing Serperior/Terrakion/Landorus and TheBugManiacs idea.

I agree that Serperior/Reuniclus is a force to be reckoned with, but the deck needs a good attacker. Here are some potential attackers to use with Serperior/Reuniclus (this is pure theory, lol):

- Empoleon DEX: With Serperior and Reuniclus removing damage from your field, plus the fact that they sit on the bench, makes this deck a legitimate idea if my mind. The only problem is the fact that you have to set up 3(!) Stage 2s, which just isn't viable in this format. Maybe if we had cards like Broken Time-Space and Luxury Ball, this would be a little better.

- Terrakion NVI/Terrakion-EX: This has been brought up before, but I'm mentioning it again. With Terrakion-EX's built in energy acceleration and EXP. Share, you can get energy moving around quickly. I still don't think this is that good because you need to run 2-3 of each Basic, 1 of each Stage 1, and 2-3 of each Stage 2, along with Rare Candy and everything else required to make Terrakion work, you're gonna be lacking space for supporters and a tech or two, unless you're super creative with your deck building.

- Tornadus EPO/Tornadus-EX: Keep in mind that this is pure Theorymon, so if this is a bad idea (or any of my ideas) don't be surprised. The reason I think this could work is with 4 DCE and some basic Energies, you could achieve some speedy KOs while pumping up Tornadus on the bench. Add in Fighting Resistance and Eviolite, and you can take some hits while dishing out some of your own.

- Cobalion NVI: Another longshot idea, but I might as well record all of my silly ideas just in case any of them actually work. Cobalion is a great card once it's powered up. 3 for 80 and the Defending Pokemon can't attack? Sounds good, but it's outside of the OHKO range of most pokemon that are widely used as support. You can fix this with Aerodactyl, but that's another bench spot you're losing that Cobalion could use and another piece of Catcher bait.

- Darkrai-EX/Zoroark DEX: What you do with this deck is use Darkrai for its Ability, then move damage counters to Zoroark for a Dark Rush KO. This makes great use of Reuniclus and Serperior as a pair, but it's lacking energy acceleration, except for Ultra Ball/Dark Patch.

- Luxray NXD: Another deck that makes use of 3 Stage 2s, but this one doesn't need any energy acceleration since you're only going to be attacking with 1 energy. Just hit everything 1 for 60 and place 10 after that turn.

- Regigigas-EX: This is pretty simple. Load Regigigas up with damage counters and OHKO as much stuff as possible. This deck would make full use of Catcher and Reuniclus, so Garbodor and Gothitelle would hurt it pretty badly.

That's really all I could come up with before I get repetitive. Maybe someone could find a way to make any of these ideas work? Heck, I could probably post more tomorrow if I'm not tired from school.

Someones smart :p

I'm thinking that the Luxray NXD. That actually could work (This is for a league deck, so BTS is allowed) Thanks :)

JimboJumbo said:
Well, the thought of using Serperior did cross my mind quite a few times. A major difference between this format and last includes the loss of Junk Arm. Knowing that, should your opponent feel that Serperior is a threat to them and use a Catcher to KO one, that's one less attack on your main attackers and that's one less catcher they have in their deck to use. Perhaps combining Serperior with Pokemon types that effectively cover your meta could prove to be a decent idea, in theory.
Think about the other side of the coin though. Serperior is a hefty space investment in any deck and it takes a lot of search cards to get it out. If you're setting up a Serperior just to make your opponent play a Catcher, you're doing something wrong. You're playing like five cards to maybe make them play one.

also, just to clarify, serp actually heals 120 a turn because its 10 to everything before and after your turn. so if you have a 130hp attacker and they can't ohko it you basically win the game. but its such a fragile set up once its done setting up that without trainer lock you can get crippled badly. honestly i dont think hes even worth the time in this meta unless its slowed down much more than i think.

Martini said:
I've been wanting to build a deck with Serperior for a long time now. I've tried so many different variants, and now with BW ON, I have a better chance to actually get him out. Can anybody help me find a good deck/partner for him?? Please explain the strategy too

I am new to the pokemon ccg (although not at all new to card games in general) and have slowly been building my deck towards a reuniclus/serperior combo.

I am not certain to what extent if at all this deck will be tournament viable but I have honed it as best I can without playtesting. Here is the list:

Pokemon - 26

3 Groudon EX
2 Terrakion EX
4 solosis
3 duosion
4 reuniclus
2 snivy
1 servine
2 serperior
2 bulbasaur
1 ivysaur
2 venosaur

Trainer - 26

4 level ball
4 pokemon communication
4 rare candy
2 ultra ball
4 N
4 random reciever
2 cilan
2 energy retrieval

Energy - 8

8 fighting energy

The idea of the deck is to use the decks streamlined trainer search to build its necessary stage 2's at the correct time and as quickly as possible. In the new format, the only real answer to the reuniclus/serperior combo is pokemon catcher. I feel the decks best means
of combating this is by trying to get reuniclus's onto the board at the same rate your opponent is pokemon catchering them. I have found that Venosaur is the best way to do this.

The decks first priority is to have an EX in play getting energy each turn and swinging hard. From there, the deck wants to build a venosaur as soon as possible. By the 3rd turn (if not the 2nd with a rare candy) the deck will evolve into venosaur and will already be close to finishing another stage 2.

From there, venosaurs search every turn will keep reuniclus's coming at a rate that will prevent pokemon catcher from keeping you down for long. At one point, your opponent may simply try to overwhelm your benched pokemon full of transferred damage counters. Here you can comfortably build up your serperior and effectively heal 120 damage between each of your opponents attacks.

If your opponent uses a pokemon catcher to take out your venosaur or your serperior, they will have a difficult time OHKOing it, and even if they do its still one less they can use to drop a reuniclus.

My playtesting has shown that the deck runs smoothly despite being so pokemon heavy and a little crazy, but its fun as hell.

Any notes are appreciated, I am really looking to get this deck as strong as possible.

Celebi23 said:
Think about the other side of the coin though. Serperior is a hefty space investment in any deck and it takes a lot of search cards to get it out. If you're setting up a Serperior just to make your opponent play a Catcher, you're doing something wrong. You're playing like five cards to maybe make them play one.

To clarify, I'm not saying you're setting it up to bait the catcher I'm just saying the choice is a bit more difficult on the opponent as they now need to decide what is more of a threat at hand. Something that could turn their 2HKOs into 3HKOs or the opposing attacking pokemon?

Back