Professor Layton Thread

BibiTotoLover

Eeveelutions, Lapras + Fairy Collector
Professor Layton

Curious-Village-professor-layton-series-13297277-1024-768-300x225.jpg

I was kinda surprised there wasn't a 'Professor Layton' thread already..
So, please, do not tell me I'm the only Layton fan around here.
There must be more great Puzzlers out there!
So come, and join and discuss in this thread. :D

-Games
Professor Layton and the Curious Village [2008 NDS]
Professor Layton and the Diabolical Box [2009 NDS]
Professor Layton and the Unwound Future [2010 NDS]
Professor Layton and the Last Specter / Professor Layton and the Spectre's Call [2011 NDS]
Professor Layton and the Miracle Mask [2012 N3DS]
Professor Layton and the Azran Legacies [2013 N3DS]

Spin-Off;
Professor Layton vs. Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney [2012 N3DS]

-Movies
Professor Layton and the Eternal Diva [2010]

Let's puzzle around, everyone!
:D

RE: Professor Layton Thread.

I love this series of games. I haven't got around to getting the final game quite yet but I've avoided plot spoilers so I'll get around to it eventually. I've recently been replaying Curious Village and it's amazing how far the series has come in seven years (counting 2007 as the release for the Japanese version) and it also reminded me of why it totally hooked me in the beginning. The atmosphere of the series really pulls you in and the combination of music and art style is very foreign but at the same time fresh with the variety of puzzles. It'll be interesting to see how/if the series progresses further without Layton going forward but even if less than stellar entries come out or none at all, I'll always remember the great memories of playing the games.

dmaster out.

I couldn't agree more with you ! :D
I played all the NDS games so far.. but not the 3DS ones yet.
Gotta get me a 3DS first. :p

But I love the music. It's so hard to find the OST on physical CD's though. :(

One of the best game series out there :)

The movie was epic good :)

*cough-cough*. Actually, Professor Layton and the Azran Legacies is one of the reasons I'm off from this site in the last week(s).

I started play the series in Professor Layton and the Spectre's Call and cried when I can't find any Miracle Mask game(s) anymore in the game stores, after I collected money to buy it. Still can't find the copy anywhere, and don't dare to make credit card for the digital copy. I already in red every month without one T.T.

Wait, MOVIE... this game have a movie??? I'll check it out.

If you can't tell, I'm a big Professor Layton fan. I'm hoping to get Azran Legacies as soon as I can, but that might not be very soon. I only got Miracle Mask this past Christmas, and it was fantastic. And such a cliff hanger at the end... I'm not sure how much longer I'll be able to wait!

lovandra said:
*cough-cough*. Actually, Professor Layton and the Azran Legacies is one of the reasons I'm off from this site in the last week(s).

I started play the series in Professor Layton and the Spectre's Call and cried when I can't find any Miracle Mask game(s) anymore in the game stores, after I collected money to buy it. Still can't find the copy anywhere, and don't dare to make credit card for the digital copy. I already in red every month without one T.T.

Wait, MOVIE... this game have a movie??? I'll check it out.

Maybe you should try mightyape.co.nz?
If you're willing to buy it online instead..
I'm from Holland and thankfully they're still buyable in a lot of online stores, but on the other hand it's saddening, because I don't have a 3DS yet. :'(

I have yet to play this series but I intend to catch up since now I won't be buying all that many PS3 games and I still won't buy a 3DS. I've always tried the games' site puzzles and I love the feeling I got from it, from the visual art to the...quiet but with rhythm music that seems like a stroll with some adventure to it.

^Oh, yes! The music is one of the reasons I totally fell in love with the series. :D
I'm always excited when I finally collected enough 'Picarats' to unlock the 'Music' section within the Extra's.
Some of them are so beautiful it gives me goosebumps.

The music in these games is sublime. Best elevator music I've ever heard. But really it is very nice, the game is also friendly and easy to get addicted to. I found myself playing the "tea time" mini game for hours in The Diabolical Box

Finished the Last Layton game, I literally cried 4 times at the end. I'm going to say where, but there are spoilers, so you've been warned.

In no particular order:
1. When Layton's brother "Dies" (not for real, but I didn't know that :p )
2. When we find out that Descole was actually Layton, but pretended not to be when they were kids so that Theodore (now Layton) wouldn't be adopted. (Play the game, it makes more sense).
3. When we learn that Emmy was working for Bronev the entire time.
4. When they all die. (Again, play the game)

BibiTotoLover said:
^Oh, yes! The music is one of the reasons I totally fell in love with the series. :D
I'm always excited when I finally collected enough 'Picarats' to unlock the 'Music' section within the Extra's.
Some of them are so beautiful it gives me goosebumps.

Now you gave me one more reason to go look for theses games: I always like games that have extras, namely the game's soundtrack and being able to listen them at our own leisure! :)

I've started looking for the games and from the little I know about this series, it seems there's an overall story and chronology, so my question is if I should play them (if possible) in their release order, if there's another order (story's chronology) or if it doesn't matter at all?

Also, BibiTotoLover, since you've put one of the games with both their names, I leave here the names of the European versions:
- "Professor Layton and Pandora's Box" (The Diabolical Box);
- "Professor Layton and the Lost Future" (Unwound Future) and
- "Professor Layton and the Azran Legacy" (Azran Legacies).

You definitely need to play either trilogy in order no matter what you decide to do. It would probably be cool to play them in sequential story order with the prequel trilogy before the main one (think Star Wars), but it doesn't really matter I feel.

dmaster out.

dmaster said:
You definitely need to play either trilogy in order no matter what you decide to do. It would probably be cool to play them in sequential story order with the prequel trilogy before the main one (think Star Wars), but it doesn't really matter I feel.

dmaster out.

Whoa, trilogy!? Good to know that!! Many thanks. ;)

Yeah, it's the way the games are structured.

(Original Trilogy)

Curious Village
Diabolical Box
Unwound Future

(Prequel Trilogy)

Last Specter
Miracle Mask
Azran Legacy

dmaster out.

On the Youtube account; Picarats, there was a small video uploaded saying there will be a second movie. :D

I totally forgot to mention that for my previous birthday, my dad bought me the final Layton game and the Layton cross-over with Ace Attorney game, I still haven't finished both of them though, basically because I'd feel kind of down as soon as I've played the final games. It was so nice to look forward to a new Layton game at the end of the year, I can't believe they quit. :(

It is for the better. I love brain teasers and Professor Layton is my favourite game series of all time. But the story came to an end. I'm actually very glad Level 5 decided to not stretch the franchise. I hope you enjoy the final games as well @BibiTotoLover But before you start paying Professor Layton VS Phoenix Wright I would certainly recommend to play all the main entries in both series.

Surely someday we get another great puzzle & adventure game like Professor Layton :(

It is for the better. I love brain teasers and Professor Layton is my favourite game series of all time. But the story came to an end. I'm actually very glad Level 5 decided to not stretch the franchise. I hope you enjoy the final games as well @BibiTotoLover But before you start paying Professor Layton VS Phoenix Wright I would certainly recommend to play all the main entries in both series.

Surely someday we get another great puzzle & adventure game like Professor Layton :(

Yeah, that's true. I'm sure I will. Loved the Miracle Mask! Maybe in another decade they could do series of Luke... or something else.. But if it's from the same developers and just as touching, I'd be pleased. :oops:

"Every puzzle has a solution"
"That's what a gentleman does Luke"
~My two favorite lines to quote from the Professor Layton games.

I've played all the games, including the spinoff and I've watched the movie as well~ Such a fabulous series <3

Back