'Primal Clash' Prerelease Promo Kingdra [1/6]

Now THAT is a beautiful card. I have zero qualms with half-arts continuing past Primal Clash. They all look great.

They seriously could've chosen any card for the pre-release promo and I wouldn't mind.

I don't plan on attending pre-releases this time around, because I'm going to get all my new Primal Clash gear off of the internet.

Its pretty cool that the art is different to the set art, wish less promos would use the same art as set counterparts.

Which promos use the same art as their set counterparts? .-.

There are actually some, depending on how one views the concept of promo cards. Take for example the Fufrou and the Rhyperior that are in the Primal Clash three pack and one pack blisters (assuming of course these aren't placeholders). Those are exactly like their main set cards (XY for both in this case again if it's true) or as another example the versions of Amaura/Aurorus/Tyrunt/Tyrantrum/Fossil Researcher that were in the Ancient Powers box. Their artworks aren't any different, just the foil treatment.

On the flipside you do have cards that are the same just with alternate artwork. Again refer to the Kyogre EX and Groudon EX that are going to be in the Legends of Hoenn tins in March. Or the other tin EX cards except the Kalos final evolutions. Same card, different artwork. That's been a near constant since at least BW.

In a way that's one of my main complaints, in the sense that alot of the promo cards these days are simply a repeat of a Pokemon in a main set release with different artwork. The BW era, for example, had over half of the promos that were simply reprints of cards from main sets, and those are the black star promos let alone different foil treated cards. That was a cool thing about Phantom Forces, the only repeat promo was the Talonflame in the one pack blister that was a differently foil treated card from XY...I kind of wish that card had been the missing Meowstick or the fighting Pangoro instead.

That being said I do like the artwork on this AT Kingdra. The thing is that sometimes these alternate arts are better than the main set artwork. I liked the pre release Dragalge (which was holo unlike the main set) and pre release Machamp artworks more than the actual set ones for example. If the main set AT Kingdra is holo though, I'll have a hard time deciding which one to go with in my binder.

It'd be kind of interesting to chronicle all of the promo cards done for Pokemon and see how many are really repeats and how many are brand new.

I might go to a pre realese. My favorite Pokemon as a Pre release promo is too hard to pass up. (could always trade for them, not the same feeling though lol)

Gengar master said:
I might go to a pre realese. My favorite Pokemon as a Pre release promo is too hard to pass up. (could always trade for them, not the same feeling though lol)

And that's how they steal your money. Although this time it's a nice Ancient Trait card so I guess I'll go one more time...

I go to support my local TOs and to keep the pre-release amounts healthy. Because it matters to keep these events going. I know people still wish for the pre-release sleeves and other goodies we used to get but I don't half mind the promos we get because you're still paying about 3.75 a pack which is a below MSRP and getting a promo to go with it. Now if they hike it to 35, I probably wont bother but as it stands right now its fun to play with the new cards early and meet up with friends I dont normally get to see that often due to my busy work schedule.

Back