'Pokemon V' Mechanic Announced: Zacian V, Zamazenta V from 'Sword & Shield!'

Flash~ZT0

Aspiring Trainer
Has anybody noticed how the parts of the cards that got revealed show us attacks that have no energy cost whatsoever?
It is not a matter of convenient cropping or blurring out, energy costs are simply not there.
I am curious what kind of restrictions Pokémon V/V-max will have, because a free 230 damage turn two or free 130+discard seems levels of OP that we have not seen before.
At least PikaRom/ ReshiZard/MewMew had energy costs to pay for their massive firepower..

Did they really only remove the energy costs on the cards because they are afraid to spoil the legendary typings ( I remember when Solgaleo and Lunala GX got revealed they simply put a blur over attack cost and being a stage 2)?
At this point pretty much everyone expects Steel/X, most likely Steel/Fighting.
Seems to me like there is no real secret..
I dunno if that would be the typing. It could be a lack of editing to keep the obvious secret typing but the two doggos have a colorless bottom where the attacks and name are.

Furn

Aspiring Trainer
For Gen 8 I would be just fine if they conflated the reverse and "regular" holo rares into the same spot, and bumped the premium-tier cards to the 1-in-3 odds they've always used.

Or finally do the bloody Japanese pack sizes/prices/ratios.

Flash~ZT0

Aspiring Trainer
Im sorry, I can't play this game competitively no more. Every era the power card just gets more and more insane. Ex's worked because they let small guys like kyurem and snorlax shine. Gx's were kinda busted but we had lost march for a bit. TTGX WAS OVERKILL!!! Literally the only normal basic that stands a chance is a clown and that takes a lot of work. Besides it's outclassed by it's GX self.

V and V-max will be too overpowered. Sure TTGX will be able to survive a bit but the way I see it the little guys are gonna have to be like blaceph or hoopa to survive.

Also not gonna be a fan of seeing safeguard listing out: Pokemon-EX, Pokemon-GX, Pokemon V, and Pokemon V-MAX

bbb888

Same user name as my Pokémon YouTube channel
Remember when Fossil set had only 62 cards?
Remember when 120 HP was the highest?

Yeah, me neither.

Mysticvulpix

Just be chill
M
Im sorry, I can't play this game competitively no more. Every era the power card just gets more and more insane. Ex's worked because they let small guys like kyurem and snorlax shine. Gx's were kinda busted but we had lost march for a bit. TTGX WAS OVERKILL!!! Literally the only normal basic that stands a chance is a clown and that takes a lot of work. Besides it's outclassed by it's GX self.

V and V-max will be too overpowered. Sure TTGX will be able to survive a bit but the way I see it the little guys are gonna have to be like blaceph or hoopa to survive.

Also not gonna be a fan of seeing safeguard listing out: Pokemon-EX, Pokemon-GX, Pokemon V, and Pokemon V-MAX
malamar + giratina
Zapados
Literally Beheeyem! It’s practically either 6-1 or 7-0!
Dude, basics are now a whole other alternative! With players trying to find ways NOT to lose half the game in a turn. Basics and regular Pokémon are being turned to

Mysticvulpix

Just be chill
Here's what I'm thinking-

V Pokemon are clearly just GXs without the GX attacks. Part of me is thinking the V-Max mechanic is going to say "You can place this pokemon onto your (NAME)-V. This Pokemon has (added effect) for the next three turns. After three turns, discard this card from your V pokemon. Maybe an added attack or something. So it'd have the user consider when and when not to add their V Pokemon-Go all out, or, in other situational circumstances, wait on using it (Akin to waiting on using a Shaymin-EX, or a Lele/Dedenne I guess in these new-fangled days). At least, that's how I'd try to add Gigantamaxing into the TCG. It has to reflect the game's mechanics and I can see this being a possibly fun method in doing so.

But whatever the case, black borders are absolutely gorgeous. I'm interested to see how they'll end up being as collectibles.
I definitely agree, as 330 HP throughout is just rediculous. With these, it would make the three turns crucial to the outcome, as well as make GXs not completely obsolete

Lanstar

The Cutest of Ladies
I must confess: I pretty much stopped playing the TCG Online, solely because of the gigantic sets. They dilute the pull rates so much that it became major loot box hell there. If 200+ sets will remain the norm like this, and card values stay real volatile, it turns too much into pay to win there - which I don't wish to be a part of.

Skeleton Liar

サーナ~
Remember when Fossil set had only 62 cards?
Remember when 120 HP was the highest?

Yeah, me neither.
I remember when pulling a holo back then was exciting and satisfying. And I remember when buying a single booster box would nearly get you a complete set. I yearn for simpler times like that.

Frost

Ice/Fairy Stan Account
I don't really get the argument that big sets affect "pull rates" or the chance that you're going to "get something good." One reason why sets are so huge is because the cards that have always been rate-restricted in the first place have exploded with super, duper and super duper versions of the same card. And because a) a lot of even the chase cards are not very playable at all most of the time and b) Pokemon's premium pull rates have been set in their 1-in-3 stone since day one, you're not missing out on GX card Z because there's 37 trash regular rares instead of only 16 or however many we had back in the Jungle/Fossil days. And like yes there's more chase cards but when you're getting 4 "chances" on every chase card instead of 1 shouldn't the relative ratio of good:bad be the same as what it was?

On the other hand Pokemon's current vision of huge sets is more of a nightmare for me and my kind i.e. collectors but that's a whole different beast.

Last edited:

TokenDuelist

YGO TCG is Cheaper. Fight me.
Really not hyped for this... especially with added complication to card legality.

These sets are getting too big, half the cards feel worthless, and they aren't listening to the players who take issue with it... Every time I find my spark for the TCG reignited, they tend to do things like this. It really makes me sad... guess I'll just continue sticking to collecting.

The-Kaiser

Starfleet Captain and Pokemon Trainer
I think they kinda mean V as in the number 5 in Roman Numeral and its the 5th version of higher HP and Attack damage cards

1. Pokemon EX from Gen 3
2. Pokemon Lv X from Gen 4
3. Pokemon EX again from Gen 5-6
4. Pokemon GX from 7

CynderDarkov

Aspiring Trainer

Power creep is part of card games. It has to happen otherwise the company won't make money. Now your mileage may vary if PTCG's power creep is going too fast, but having to accept power creep is a must, otherwise, as you decided, you gotta quit then.

AeroFishOne

Aspiring Trainer
I’ve been on and off since the game was introduced. Base set to expedition. A few sets in Ex, Diamond and peArl to Supreme Victors.

I recently got back into it while trying to get my son interested in it. There are things I love about the game and collecting now. I would have killed for Elite trainer boxes and the card books with them back in the day.

As a collector, the sets are getting way to large. I love opening packs but it’s not financially feasible to do so to complete a set. it never really was but atleast you could get closer. Really like the full arts and alt arts but don’t care about rainbow rares.

As a player, I hate how the game has turned into an ultra rare showdown with a few exceptions. Tag teams being the biggest suspect. They are too easy to get into play, no buildup required to use them and the only way to counter them is to use the same or the few options that limits them. I play water which seems to be getting the shaft the last few sets outside of Keldeo Gx.

As for the new mechanic, hopefully it takes some time to setup but the cards seem cool from the initial tease.

N's Rhyperior

Aspiring Trainer
When I gazed to the screenshots of the Pokemon V card, looks like we are keeping the SM template, very evident that the Red colored icon for "Ability" is still there on Zacian V, same as other SM cards. The holo pattern is also still there

ShaQuL

@KabutoKingTCG
X
When I gazed to the screenshots of the Pokemon V card, looks like we are keeping the SM template, very evident that the Red colored icon for "Ability" is still there on Zacian V, same as other SM cards. The holo pattern is also still there
i sure hope that's the case, the SM template is my favourite in recent years.