'Pokemon V' Mechanic Announced: Zacian V, Zamazenta V from 'Sword & Shield!'

DMYSYS

Aspiring Trainer
>202 card set
>first set of a new generational block

I'm sorry. I've spent most of my entire life with the Pokémon TCG being, even in the worst case, a passive interest, but an interest nonetheless. 202 cards for an intro set is just too much. It's honestly an insulting cash-grab, and after waiting since BW for a return to civility, this is not where I cave in, this is where I move on.

The video games look like a phoned-in/opportunistic hot mess, and the fact the card game is now such an egregious rip-off is the last straw for me. While your past has meant so much to me, your present is off-putting. And I can't be bothered to speculate on your future. So I will see you later, Pocket Monsters.

RisingRaichuu

Aspiring Trainer
Advanced Member
The only reason why sets have got so massive is because they're releasing an extra copy of the Basic in every evolution line these days. But yeah, I remember the good old days of 99-card sets.

Water Pokémon Master

I like Pokemon more than you! :p
Webmaster
Elite Member
Advanced Member
Update: Upon closer inspection, Zamazenta-Z's Ability prevents all effects or damage from your opponent's V-MAX Pokemon. You can just barely see "V-MAX" written at the end of its Ability text. So perhaps the 330 HP card is a V-MAX Pokemon and our two Legendaries are Pokemon V?

Frost

Ice/Fairy Stan Account
The only reason why sets have got so massive is because they're releasing an extra copy of the Basic in every evolution line these days. But yeah, I remember the good old days of 99-card sets.
That at best adds 10 cards to these huge sets. Having 4 different versions of every chase card is your culprit.

The Ultimate Umbreon

To Ultra space and beyond!
It's a shame that GX cards will be so short lived. EX cards lasted for BW and XY, so I hoped the GX cards would last for Sword and Sheild too, but change happens I guess. Looks like V-MAX Pokemon will be like Mega Evolutions. But 202 cards for an entry set is completely ridiculous. Lost Thunder was okay as a one off mega set, but with so many sets in Japan being pumped out, had led to Unbroken Bonds, Unified Minds and soon Cosmic Eclipse to be far to big. It doesn't help that those sets have tons of bulk terrible cards worth nothing, which greatly reduces the chance of getting playable cards, which defeats the point of opening packs. So either the Japanese set is massive, or they are getting 3 Sword and Sheild sets before we get one. I've collected sets since XY, but this is the end of that for me. If I want a card, I'll order it online. Sets have just got too big.

zzzeraora

Aspiring Trainer
There's only ever been 2 good Charizards.
That being said, when he's good, he's too good. So i hope Sword and Shield Charizard sucks ass

DarthPinkHippo

Aspiring Trainer
I'm really worried about these Pokemon V just being big basics like EX/MEX. I dont want to see evolution Pokemon get shafted even more.

zzzeraora

Aspiring Trainer
I'm really worried about these Pokemon V just being big basics like EX/MEX. I dont want to see evolution Pokemon get shafted even more.
GX's could be Evolutions and they had more HP than MEGAS..Also, it's better to have something like EX's again. Only being able to have 2 moves or a move and ability on top of a once a game move was crippling.

Winkachu

Aspiring Trainer
I think the Pokemon company has to think about lowering prices for their TCG products, could be done by using less plastic in their packaging that seriously does increase shipping cost a lot. And at the same time have to increase pull rates that don't double up in the booster boxes. I'll be honest I only buy one TCG product each and normally get all the commons/uncommons and rares in my collection. But when it comes about EX/GX Full arts secret rares that is far far from complete and not willing to buy multiple products of the same kind at all. Unless they find a good way to take out these cards and put in collection boxes.

Snowy Lilacs

Aspiring Trainer
It's a shame that GX cards will be so short lived. EX cards lasted for BW and XY, so I hoped the GX cards would last for Sword and Sheild too, but change happens I guess. Looks like V-MAX Pokemon will be like Mega Evolutions. But 202 cards for an entry set is completely ridiculous. Lost Thunder was okay as a one off mega set, but with so many sets in Japan being pumped out, had led to Unbroken Bonds, Unified Minds and soon Cosmic Eclipse to be far to big. It doesn't help that those sets have tons of bulk terrible cards worth nothing, which greatly reduces the chance of getting playable cards, which defeats the point of opening packs. So either the Japanese set is massive, or they are getting 3 Sword and Sheild sets before we get one. I've collected sets since XY, but this is the end of that for me. If I want a card, I'll order it online. Sets have just got too big.

Well every month thus far in Japan, they have been getting a new set, so yes they probably will continue

Zierant

Murcielago
That’s a massive set!! After Team Up, I called it quits... sad but it’s getting way toooo ridiculous now and it’s not even fun for me like it used to be :/

bunnybird12

Aspiring Trainer
I’ve felt myself drifting away from the tcg since Team Up was released because of the power creep. I didn’t enjoy the release of Tag Team GX’s and this feels like another version of that. I really wish they would do more to make regular evolution cards the norm again instead of the souped up cards we see being released now. Not only this, but with the format for the most part being focused on ultra rare attackers, it makes competitive decks too expensive to build for people like me who don’t have a lot to spend on it.

Nathaniel Cook

Aspiring Trainer
>202 card set

I'm sorry. I've spent most of my entire life with the Pokémon TCG being, even in the worst case, a passive interest, but an interest nonetheless. 202 cards for an intro set is just too much. It's honestly an insulting cash-grab, and after waiting since BW for a return to civility, this is not where I cave in, this is where I move on.

The video games look like a phoned-in/opportunistic hot mess, and the fact the card game is now such an egregious rip-off is the last straw for me. While your past has meant so much to me, your present is off-putting. And I can't be bothered to speculate on your future. So I will see you later, Pocket Monsters.

You bring up some valid arguments, but I think this goes a lot further than that. A lot of the Collector's Tin or Collection Boxes that Pokemon Company International puts out nowadays aren't really aimed at collectors. They may try to market them as such, but most of these quick cash-grabs are really meant to do nothing more than bring the price down of cards that are in high demand for use in tournaments. I can understand what they are trying to do by making these cards more accessible and keeping the prices more affordable, but it also dilutes the value/incentive to collect the cards and sets as a whole. You needn't look further than the Pikachu & Zekgrom GX tin in March or the Charizard & Reshiram GX Collection Box that was released a couple of weeks ago. It seems like nowadays the Pokemon Company International is more focused on catering to competitive play with the promotional tins & collections boxes along with each new quarterly set. Furthermore, I think the one thing they're doing more than ever with these large sets every 3-4 months is alienating the collectors. I don't mean this to be disrespectful to anyone who is into the competitive side of Pokemon, but it just really saddens me to see Pokemon catering to one side of the card game over the other.

CynderDarkov

Aspiring Trainer
>202 card set

Seems like a horribly trivial thing to be mad at tbh. I see it as nothing but excitement but *shrugs*