Pokemon the Series X / Y Discussion (English Dub)

RE: Pokemon X/Y Anime: Animation and Storyline

nightkeeper said:
Drohn said:
I really want to see Mega Evolution in the anime. In the games it requires items and bonding. We know Ash always tries to bond with his Pokémon, but I haven't seen item effects happening during battles. The anime differs from the games, however, so we might get to see them anyway! How do you imagine Mega Evolution in the anime?

Seeing how bonding affects MegaEvolutions as well as just seeing the transformation itself is a rather exciting notion. My main hope is that Ash will keep Charizard this season, meet someone that explains Megas, find his mega stone. The whole episode of Charizard returning explained how close the two were bonded after everything they went through.

Bisharp said:
That's what I'm hoping for. Is ten and a half years old still too much to ask of the anime?

I'm hoping traveling across FIVE regions is enough time to age half a year, right? (still wish Ash was 26)

It would be a small miracle if they age him by just one year, let alone sixteen years.

I had the same thought. Maybe the reason they had Charizard return for that long in BW was for it to bond with Ash, which would allow him to Mega Evolve in XY.

I believe it's confirmed that XY Pokémon don't Mega Evolve. If Ash wants to use it (and bonding is his thing so I think he will) he has to use the Pokémon he caught in previous generations.

Edit: Or catch Pokémon from older generations in Kalos.

Drohn said:
I had the same thought. Maybe the reason they had Charizard return for that long in BW was for it to bond with Ash, which would allow him to Mega Evolve in XY.

I believe it's confirmed that XY Pokémon don't Mega Evolve. If Ash wants to use it (and bonding is his thing so I think he will) he has to use the Pokémon he caught in previous generations.

Well if that's the case then. "Fist pumps." Yes! Haha! Now I've got really good feelings for this series now!

Bisharp said:
nightkeeper said:
Seeing how bonding affects MegaEvolutions as well as just seeing the transformation itself is a rather exciting notion. My main hope is that Ash will keep Charizard this season, meet someone that explains Megas, find his mega stone. The whole episode of Charizard returning explained how close the two were bonded after everything they went through.

I'm hoping traveling across FIVE regions is enough time to age half a year, right? (still wish Ash was 26)

It would be a small miracle if they age him by just one year, let alone sixteen years.

You miss my point. When I started watching pokemon in first generation, Ash was 10. I couldn't help thinking "If he'd this cool at 10, imagine how cool he'll be when he ages!"

16 years has gone by. Ash is still 10.

nightkeeper said:
Bisharp said:

You miss my point. When I started watching pokemon in first generation, Ash was 10. I couldn't help thinking "If he'd this cool at 10, imagine how cool he'll be when he ages!"

Oh, sorry I misunderstood you. But I agree. If they ever make some sort film or episode that show Ash in the future, it's safe to say he'd be one mighty trainer.

Bisharp said:
nightkeeper said:

Oh, sorry I misunderstood you. But I agree. If they ever make some sort film or episode that show Ash in the future, it's safe to say he'd be one mighty trainer.

I'm sorry, have we been watching the same series? or is there a secret pokemon anime out there where ash actually learns and gets better with his journeys? ahhh, no, you are talking about other ash. not ketchum, right?

'cause the kid not only does not grow, but actually seems to be regressing with time. If the trend continues, by gen 8 pikachu will have to change his diapers and bottle-feed him.

professorlight said:
Bisharp said:

I'm sorry, have we been watching the same series? or is there a secret pokemon anime out there where ash actually learns and gets better with his journeys? ahhh, no, you are talking about other ash. not ketchum, right?

'cause the kid not only does not grow, but actually seems to be regressing with time. If the trend continues, by gen 8 pikachu will have to change his diapers and bottle-feed him.

I know that's a more likely outcome, but hey a fan can still dream.

professorlight said:
Bisharp said:

Admittedly, Ash does tend to start with a clean slate with each new region (along with Pikachu, forgetting how to completely dominate level 5 pokemon)

I've got to be a bit optimistic about X and Y. I haven't followed the last 2 regions because it has been too repetitive. If Ash finally gets his head on straight and starts crushing trainers like he should with all his experience, I'll have to watch. Chances are though... my heart will be broken yet again. </3

Looking at the games, Pokémon definitely is willing to take some risks. I hope the same goes for the anime. I would like some things to change. For example Ash showing progress. I would really like to see him achieve his goals or at least see him get closer to it than just making it to the regional league.

I hope the new storyline will reflect this by letting Ash at least win the league for once. He doesn't have to beat the Elite Four or Champion, beating other trainers at least and making him stand out is enough for now!

I also hope Pikachu doesn't have its energy reset to make it weaker. The last few regions always had a silly excuse to make Pikachu weaker; Team Rocket's machine to give Pikachu an electric overload; getting hit by Zekrom; and I believe one had to do with magnets.

Since nothing is known about other sort of competitions in Kalos, would Ash will face a lot more rivals? Or will they introduce something completely new?

Drohn said:
Looking at the games, Pokémon definitely is willing to take some risks. I hope the same goes for the anime. I would like some things to change. For example Ash showing progress. I would really like to see him achieve his goals or at least see him get closer to it than just making it to the regional league.

I hope the new storyline will reflect this by letting Ash at least win the league for once. He doesn't have to beat the Elite Four or Champion, beating other trainers at least and making him stand out is enough for now!

I also hope Pikachu doesn't have its energy reset to make it weaker. The last few regions always had a silly excuse to make Pikachu weaker; Team Rocket's machine to give Pikachu an electric overload; getting hit by Zekrom; and I believe one had to do with magnets.

Since nothing is known about other sort of competitions in Kalos, would Ash will face a lot more rivals? Or will they introduce something completely new?

Quick comments:
-Would love to see Ash win the league, as it's been his goal from the start.
-Don't want Pikachu to relapse either.

Now to address your final questions, I am interested to see if the Tower of Mastery will have its part in the anime? Not much is stated about it other than it having a connection to Megas. Supporting the theory that Ash may get Charizard's mega stone, maybe it is a place to have battles only with Megas? I am very excited to see Megas in action and the thought of a couple episodes dedicated to it is intriguing.

I'm not exactly sure where to jump into this conversation...

In every trailer I've seen so far, Ash looks a little bit older. Maybe he's just taller, but he looks a little older. Also the anime looks a little bit more serious for some reason. I've just got my hopes up that there's less filler. Black and White did a pretty good job reducing the amount of filler episodes, so if XY does the same I'll watch it for sure. Regardless, I'm at least going to give it a shot!

So the first two episodes are premiering after the Genesect movie. Is this going to be the actual premiere, or is there going to be a lot more Black and White episodes after that?

I also think Ash looked older in some of the trailers; I'm really happy about that. I hope it shows in his skill too. The action we've seen definitely looked more serious, but they might have just shown us the best action parts for the trailers. I'm waiting for the full episode to conclude my opinion, but I'm excited about what we've seen so far. How do you feel about a more serious/mature Pokémon? Do you prefer it or would you rather have it stay the way it is?

I'm not sure whether there will be more BW episodes afterwards.

Elite Stride said:
Bashamo said:
More in-depth battle scenes, not that stupid cutscene stuff.

Yes! I'm not the only one annoyed by this! No more of this garbage. It's just poor production and has been going on too long now.

I remember every episode Ash let out a Pokemon for battle, all throughout the first entire 5 seasons (276 episodes,) they recycled the EXACT SAME CLIP over and over again from when he first caught his Caterpie.

ash2.gif

Drohn said:
I also think Ash looked older in some of the trailers; I'm really happy about that. I hope it shows in his skill too. The action we've seen definitely looked more serious, but they might have just shown us the best action parts for the trailers. I'm waiting for the full episode to conclude my opinion, but I'm excited about what we've seen so far. How do you feel about a more serious/mature Pokémon? Do you prefer it or would you rather have it stay the way it is?

I'm not sure whether there will be more BW episodes afterwards.

As far as Ash's age goes... this is what I put in the other thread:
I don't know if this has been discussed yet, but I think it's pretty much confirmed that Ash won't be aging at all, yet again, in the new X Y series. :(

I skimmed over all the screenshots of the last episode of the BW series, and he pretty much just goes straight from the boat, to his house, spends the night, then goes right back on the plane to Kalos, all of this with the lady that has the Helioptile. There doesn't seem to be any sort of time skip what so ever, unless time actually passed during his journey through Unova and he wouldn't be more than a year or a few months older if that's the case.

Please do correct me if I misinterpreted those screenshots.

I knew they used the same frames more often, but I never noticed they used that one so much! Maybe they're not letting Ash age so they can use the same frames. :p

I hope they will improve the animation, especially during battles.

Anyone see the new trailer? They maybe taking a step in the right direction. Here's a list of better things I saw.
  • Team Rocket uses some black box with bright blue bands to make Garchomp go berserk, but classic team rocket they lose control of her immediately. Newsflash! According to forums Team Plasma did it and
    it wasn't that entertaining.
  • Clemont and Bunnelby use dig and a multiplying move I wanna say double team but these clones were swarming everywhere out of the hole.
  • Ash catches fletchling (duh!) and goes against Viola and her Vivillion.
  • The new move animations are wonderful, not small, wimpy and cute like in best wishes. Vivillion wings produce bright green and white energy orbs then fires a true solarbeam. Garchomp spams Hyper Beam in rage and not the punk a** pink beam no, a blackish, purple massive stream of destruction whatever it hits explodes. Or that could have been a new move?
  • Meowstic was walking in the street and smiled(I thought that they conceal their emotions though).

I'm glad to see Team Rocket in action. Hopefully Team Flare will also take part in the story. I would love to see their animated versions!

I also would guess Double Team, but it could also be a new move/animation! I wonder how it would be different from Double Team if it's a different attack.

The new animations are definitely amazing! The battles seem much more intense. I hope this will stay like this throughout the rest of the series. :D

Where are you guys seeing this video?

Blob55 said:
Where are you guys seeing this video?

[video=youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-DPulIQYTv4[/video]

AKA "Ash goes to Kalos just to fall off the Eiffel Tower twice". Buuuut I'm sure there's a bit more to it than that.

More like IFELL tower.

So far Fletchling looks like it's going to get better use than Unfezant.

Welp, I just watched the first 2 episodes dubbed, and might I say...
AWESOME! Now THAT'S what I'm talking about!! I was COMPLETELY blown away! :D

The biggest thing that really impressed me was the animation. The animators stepped up their game, big time. The things that really irked me the most about Best Wishes were Iris constantly calling Ash a kid, Cilan's annoying food references and the animation. I know I've said it multiple times before, but the animation in BW was so incredibly clean and overrun with special effects and CGI. It just turns me off. Not to mention some movements looked so unrealistic, particularly when something is floating in the air, they look like puppets moving!
And do they use the same animation over and over? Worse than Hanna-Barbara! (Nostalgia Critic quote lol.)
Think any of the trainers giving attack commands and the Pokemon using their attacks. I know the older seasons used recycled animations too, but I think they went overboard with it in BW.

With X/Y, you actually see the Pokemon getting hit with attacks and varying, realistic movements and I was pleasantly surprised with the lack of "COLORFUL BACKGROUNDS!" It seems they are taking inspiration from the B2/W2 trailer, especially in battles. You'll know that when you see Garchomp using Hyper Beam. Also, I'm overjoyed that Pikachu has his old Iron Tail animation back. It looks all glowy and white again instead of all shiny and metal (once again, that was too clean!)
The Garchomp scene was absolutely incredible! The traffic jams and the news covering it just made it even more convincing!
Oh, and Team Rocket was cool too. I loved that they used the original motto music. The most important thing is that they weren't talking in rhyme as often. Don't get me wrong, Team Rocket is funny, but when they talk in rhyme too much outside of their motto, I just cringe. I hope they lay off the rhyming in future episodes.

I liked that Ash wasn't a total amnesiac in the premiere, actually recognizing older Pokemon and not losing his first battle! (Technically it was a draw and interrupted, but I digress.)

I could go on and on some more about it, but I think I've ranted on enough!
TL;DR I think that the anime is going in the right direction and I hope it stays on that path. 5/5 stars.

Back