RBY 'Pokemon Red,' 'Blue,' 'Yellow' to be Released on 3DS Virtual Console!

Wow, good in The Pokemon Company and Game Freak to go back on their earlier opinions of whether or not these games should come to the eshop. They were very against the idea due to the nature of the games and them wanting to keep the games in cartridge form to preserve the aesthetic and appeal of link trading between gameboys.

Glad to see them succumb to fan demand and lose a little of my respect. These games are fine, but this is unnecessary and they should stay in the past where they belong.

*disappointing slow clap*

I've never heard them say they wanted to preserve cartridges and link cables, but that's not very reasonable anyway since those things are obsolete. They managed to preserve the core concept of trading and battling with people out in the real world, so I don't think they've gone back on their opinions. Plus RBY and FRLG aren't playable on current hardware, so this opens the originals up to a completely new audience. The decision makes perfect sense.

I can't be the only one who thought about this (apologies if I overlooked the answers) - but what about:
1) Special Attack/Special Defense being separate stats?
2) Dark/Steel/Fairy type Pokemon and moves?
3) Abilities?
4) Type effectiveness (e.g. Bug weak to Poison, etc.)?
5) In-game calculations (e.g. critical hits, etc.)?
6) Pikachu being fat?
7) Dragonite using Agility and Barrier perpetually against your lesser-level Venomoth while it dies from Poison Powder?
7) MORE!

From the sounds of things, they're preserving the originals as much as possible with the obvious exception of trading and battling, so all of those things will probably stay the same.

Will the Mew glitch in Yellow still work? What about Missingno?

Will the Mew glitch in Yellow still work? What about Missingno?

The Missingno glitch doesn't exist in Yellow; but I assume they'll not try to tamper with those glitches since they want to preserve as much of the old games as they can.

Whoa, whoa, whoa. Hold on. Yellow was the first Pokemon game I ever played and I never made it past the first gym...you mean to tell me that I'm going to get a second chance to actually beat it after all these years???

*internally cries tears of joy* :,D

I hope they fix all of the broken moves...
I hope that they won't touch anything XD

I'm happy that they announced those games for the 3DS but I hope they will sell them for... I don't know, maybe 5 euro? I bought both Red and Blue some years ago for 2 euro... XD

I want this game again. I missed the old games since my copy doesn't save due to the battery is dead. No everyone can show their love for Pidgeot, Ash gets his Pidgeot back and mega evolves it and then it becomes the new mascot of Pokemon.

Its all coming together nicely. Soon my pretty... soon...

Now this...this is just an utter bombshell. I always thought they would eventually release the old games once they could figure out trading and it turns out that was exactly the case. And I have to say, that is absolutely great that they could add wireless trading/battling (slightly disappointed it's not Wi-Fi, but I'll live). That is honestly essential to these.

It certainly seems like most fans will be happy (myself very much included) with these being re-released as well, potentially opening the door to Gen II down the line (which I'm greatly hoping is the case). This will just be an epic nostalgia road from the 90s when these come out and I play them again (and I'll be able to complete the original Pokedex in them which is something I never got to do).

dmaster out.

I hope that they won't touch anything XD

I'm happy that they announced those games for the 3DS but I hope they will sell them for... I don't know, maybe 5 euro? I bought both Red and Blue some years ago for 2 euro... XD
Yeah, they will cost like the other games for Virtual Console ;)
I already have all of them: Red, Blue, and Yellow for my GameBoy, but I will absolutely buy Blue for my 3DS, it was my first Pokémon game ever :D

P.s. italiana eh? :p

The biggest question now is... Will we be able to put these pokémon we catch.. IN Pokémon Bank?

Most likely not. Mechanics of Gen I are way different than Gen VI. There is no Special Attack and Special Defense, just Special that determines how much damage you deal and take. Abilities don't exist either which would likely make them incompatible. Protip for when it comes out: Amnesia is OP.

The biggest question now is... Will we be able to put these pokémon we catch.. IN Pokémon Bank?
Most likely not. Mechanics of Gen I are way different than Gen VI. There is no Special Attack and Special Defense, just Special that determines how much damage you deal and take. Abilities don't exist either which would likely make them incompatible. Protip for when it comes out: Amnesia is OP.
This. To change the original IV values to 32 bit would be very difficult

What I like is that they've made trading wireless. Hopefully we'll see quick trades and battles.

Because if you played a Link Battle in Gen I, you know that you spent more time waiting for the turn to load then you spent actually battling.

Nice! Glad we got this out of the way xD

I mean, don't get me wrong, RBY is unplayable to me by now (I already have a ahrd time playing through FRLG without Fairy, spec/phys-split, new abilities/moves, evolution etc.) and wouldn't even bother emulating these games personally after so long, but the fact they are making the "originals" available with a virtual re-release, means two things to me:
1. There is no development being "wasted" on a new Kanto-based game currently or anytime too soon (tired of nostalgia-milking, I want to play actual new games..)
2. If they do decide to make a Kanto-based game in a few years, there is much higher chances of that being a more exciting project rather than a boring same old copy/paste remake with todays system.. (instead say a RBY-GSC-sequel with Johto in the post-game. GSC were technically "Pokemon 2", so it'd make perfect sense to have the next new game in that part of the Pokeworld to be a sequel to GSC that takes in account how gen2 changed Kanto)

Oh yeah, this is so awesome... I can't wait to play a freakin' outdated and slow game! This is beyong lame. Seriously, are they even planning to release a new game? What a disappointment... facepalm.

Of course they are, don't worry.

In my opinion, if we wait longer for the next real game, it can only mean they're taking their time to make it as good as possible.

We'll get it by June if not earlier (which would be similar to Kyurems game coinciding with its movie in 2012), but I doubt it would be an autumn release.

^Yeah, I guess I'm being impatient about the next game... It kinda bugs me they already announced all those new Zygarde formes a couple of months ago, yet no new game announced...

I wouldn't have minded so much if they had announced a new game or something set in Kanto but with a different story like you described, but they would probably need more time for that indeed. I also don't see much interest in playing the old games because of the reasons you listed...

Yeah, I do think that this opens up the possibility for a Kanto sequel that makes more changes to the game. They would need larger changes to justify a new Kanto game now, and they could bundle a digital copy of the original with it so that younger players can experience the original story.

^Yeah, I guess I'm being impatient about the next game... It kinda bugs me they already announced all those new Zygarde formes a couple of months ago, yet no new game announced...

I wouldn't have minded so much if they had announced a new game or something set in Kanto but with a different story like you described, but they would probably need more time for that indeed. I also don't see much interest in playing the old games because of the reasons you listed...

Yep, a new story that includes Mega Evolution, the Fairy type, etc.

Anyway,

j6pjlk.gif

I'm really looking forward to playing Blue again, only this time on a 3DS instead of a GameBoy Color.

Back