RBY 'Pokemon Red,' 'Blue,' 'Yellow' to be Released on 3DS Virtual Console!

crystal_pidgeot

Bird Trainer *Vaporeon on PokeGym*
No, that doesn't require a lot of resources. You don't need a big team to edit code and test the programming for trading wirelessly. So, the $10 charge more than likely isn't there to be a supplement to pay for the coder's time.

One reason could be, assuming that $10 is really that exorbitant, is that maybe it's only R/B/Y in name alone. The code may have been freshly written by GF's programmers, made to follow modern day code standards. While it may be programmed to look and function just like R/B/Y, it might not be the same game under the hood.
Unless VirtualConsole is a GB engine that allows you to play a true port of an old game, in which case nevermind.

It's still cheaper than the original cartridges were back in the day.
Honestly, the fact that they said there will be more news/info on them between their reveal and February could mean they've added post-game content of some kind or done some major additions that don't effect the experience/change it, but rather extend it. Even if left practically untouched - there's a good chance we'll see some nice bonus content. This is Pokemon after all.

Thats what I'm hoping for. Look at Super Mario Maker. Newer enemies were given retro sprites, with new content added so I'm hoping there is something new in retro form. Perhaps they redid the battle system to allow for the physical special split. Also in the Pokemon red/blue anime, Red was given a mega stone so maybe we can get those as well? I would love to see mega Pidgeot in retro form.

lyonheart286

Aspiring Trainer
I'm definitely getting Yellow first because it was my very first Pokemon game (which I never got past the first gym in) and I aspire to finally beat it!

It was my second game, and i never got past the first gym either. A few months ago, my brother played it and used double kick nidoran to get past Brock. The nostalgia factor alone will convince me to buy the it, and that is probably why it is ten dollars instead of five.

Hellcat

Outlaw Trainer
My first game was red and that's definitely what I'll be getting first. I still have my yellow and blue cartridges. I might just plunge and grab all 3. I loved playing those games so much, I still do.

I really don't think $10 is all that bad. Though, I'm used to getting games on PS3/PS4 for download.

yu6

Demon Buster Trainee
Yeah, they will cost like the other games for Virtual Console ;)
I already have all of them: Red, Blue, and Yellow for my GameBoy, but I will absolutely buy Blue for my 3DS, it was my first Pokémon game ever :D

P.s. italiana eh? :p
I will wait for some sales... I don't need them since I have the originals XD

ps: yes XD

RealSlim

Dragons Breeder
I will wait for some sales... I don't need them since I have the originals XD

ps: yes XD
Urgh, they will cost 9.99$, a lil' bit much... but yeah, I'll take Blue since I absolutely want to play again with it! And I don't want to erase the saved game from my Pokémon Blue cartridge :D
P.p.s. italiano anche io :p

yu6

Demon Buster Trainee
Urgh, they will cost 9.99$, a lil' bit much... but yeah, I'll take Blue since I absolutely want to play again with it! And I don't want to erase the saved game from my Pokémon Blue cartridge :D
P.p.s. italiano anche io :p
If I have to buy one, I will pick Yellow since one of my fav Pokémon is Pikachu XD

ps: I know, I discovered that from your profile here on PokéBeach ^^

TCGDeoxys

I'm made of DNA, just like you are!
YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES!!! I CANNOT WAIT! Time to go on the eshop! WOOHOO
Ash-Ketcum-Happy-Watery-Eyes-Reaction-Gif-On-Pokemon.gif

ThunderFight

Aspiring Trainer
This is awesome. Now I can play the games without having to pay $50 dollars for each game (unless you want to collect all of the Pokemon games)

StarlightSearcher

The Blonde Brainiac
Forum Mod
Advanced Member
This is a new piece of information that came across via Serebii regarding the upcoming Virtual Console release titles of Red, Blue and Yellow.

"The manual for the upcoming Virtual Console releases of Pokémon Green, Red, Blue and Yellow has gone online and has provided a very interesting bit of information. For the Nintendo 3DS and Wii U Virtual Console games, there's an option for you to use Restore Points in the VC menu on the touch screen so you can save a position in a game and return to it afterwards in case you make a mistake. However, it is now confirmed that Pokémon Red, Green, Blue and Yellow are unable to utilize the Restore Point feature of the Virtual Console, as well as being unable to use the 3DS's built in save backup feature. It's not stated why these features have been removed for these titles, but it is presumable to be in an effort to prevent the cloning of Pokémon. These are the first GameBoy Virtual Console titles to not utilize the Restore Point feature."

Mr.Muffin

Cooler than Everyone who is less Cool than Me!
I don't think the restore points are necessary in a RPG, or any game that has saves. I am actually very happy that these are coming out just to kind of show people how this wonderful series started.

Pokemon Red, Blue, and Yellow are not fantastic games, but they are very important to gaming culture. There was nothing really like Pokemon before these games(a trainable monster RPG). The game is far from perfect, but it is still a fun game. If you can ignore the glitches, and the imbalance of the original game then you can really appreciate it. It is a great idea to re-release these games because it gives fans a way to see how far we come. We went from 150, and a secret Pokemon called mew to 718 different Pokemon. This is a brilliant way for game freak to celebrate such an amazing milestone for the series, and with more to come this is going to be the beginning of a great year for Pokemon!

ironcladmerc

Aspiring Trainer
Advanced Member
I am going to get Red probably. I have never played the original games, and I hear it has a lot of the characters from the first season of the anime, and I've been watching that lately, so it should be cool to play.

Athena

The Cooler Danchou
Advanced Member
I am going to get Red probably. I have never played the original games, and I hear it has a lot of the characters from the first season of the anime, and I've been watching that lately, so it should be cool to play.

If you're specifically looking for a game that matches with the early anime, I'd definitely suggest Yellow instead. You start off with a Pikachu, you fight Jessie and James instead of random Rocket grunts, Misty's design was updated to match her anime appearance, and there are other quirks that make it more like the anime as well. :D

StarlightSearcher

The Blonde Brainiac
Forum Mod
Advanced Member
I'm getting Yellow because that was the only game (outside of FireRed and White 2) that I never physically owned. I'm also getting Blue over Red, because I like more of Blue's exclusives over Red's.

ironcladmerc

Aspiring Trainer
Advanced Member
If you're specifically looking for a game that matches with the early anime, I'd definitely suggest Yellow instead. You start off with a Pikachu, you fight Jessie and James instead of random Rocket grunts, Misty's design was updated to match her anime appearance, and there are other quirks that make it more like the anime as well. :D

Thanks for the recommendation, I think I will be going with Yellow.

Crimzonlogic

I'm Batwoman.
Has the north american price been confirmed? People are saying it's $10 but I have not seen something confirming this.

Athena

The Cooler Danchou
Advanced Member
I don't really pay attention to American pricing/releases much, but I do know the games have been available on Amazon as a pre-order for US$9.99 almost since they were announced. That's probably where people got the price confirmation from. They might even show up on the eShop now that it's only a few days before release.