PokeBeach Album Club

I have to admit the album isn't really my style. But it's quite well-made, with attention to detail. While it kinda fell off a bit at the end, it's still quite notable.

7/10

First of all, I want to apologize for not posting on here lately. School has started for me, as well as some other stuff, so I've been busy as of late. I hope you will let me continue on this thread, I will get back on track by listening to the latest album, I think I read it is Bon Iver- Bon Iver? I know it's late, but gotta start somewhere.

Okay, so I started listening to the album and I've decided that it is fairly decent, it has got its fair share of interesting songs that actually made me stop my work and listen to, but overall it was not my kind of music. The tone of the album was too mellow for me, and while I do have a certain attraction toward certain mellow and melancholic songs, these weren't for me. There were two songs that did catch my attention though: Wash. and Beth/Rest. I just had to sit down for a bit while these songs were going, it really did make me want to listen to it. Not sure what about them I liked, so I'm gonna listen to them a few more times to really get to know the songs.

Overview: A good album, but the songs weren't particularly my taste. I can appreciate them for the genre they represent because they are well-thought out songs with meaning and excellent sound.

Rating: 7.5/10

I'll listen to the last album as soon as possible. Don't worry, I haven't forgotten about it, I'm just extremely busy. My next post will be a review for both albums, since I've already listened to my pick.

My album choice is Trout Mask Replica - Captain Beefheart & the Magic Band
Trout_Mask_Replica.png

Enjoy. hehehe

what have you done

No, seriously, I'm assuming this isn't a serious choice. If it is, I'm not going to insult your music taste, but this is horrible.

My favorite album in this genre is The Messiah-The Cleveland City School for the Deaf Choir. Both are barely odd, and you question why you are listening to it.

Like, I can respect that some people enjoy this, that's not the issue. It's just mismatched guitar riffs in no sort of rhythm to the vocals. It's like someone took two separate tracks and misaligned them.

Bon Iver - Bon Iver

Decent folk pop album. Nothing really stood out to me though. The lyrics weren't remarkable and there was little variety between songs. The entire album just seemed rather repetitive and uninspired to me. I love Justin Vernon's voice, though. Impressive falsetto.
6/10

Trout Mask Replica - Captain Beefheart & the Magic Band

A squid eating dough in a polyethylene bag is fast and bulbous, got me?

Good lord I love this album. The first time I heard it, I despised it. I thought it sounded horrible. At last, I finally decided to try listening to the whole thing, and the more I listened to it, the more it began to "click." It was the strangest phenomenon and it happened so quickly that I could hardly keep up. I'm suddenly at the point where I regard it as some of the most innovative and interesting music I've ever heard, and I never imagined it would happen.

Although it may sound at first as if they're just banging on the instruments in no discernible pattern, each track was heavily and precisely practiced prior to recording and each member of the band was astonishingly musically proficient. The two cacophonous guitar parts present on most tracks weave through your head as they're blasted forward by the thrashing drums, chaotic horns, and the Captain's gravelly vocal romp. The different instruments, although it's not always apparent at first, create a very prominent and coherent melody. The lyrics are extremely bizarre and creative, providing commentary on an extremely wide range of topics in a truly unique way.

There's really nothing like it. 9.5/10

Favorite tracks: Frownland, Dachau Blues, Moonlight on Vermont, Pachuco Cadaver, Neon Meate Dream of a Octafish, China Pig, When Big Joan Sets Up, Ant Man Bee, Steal Softly Thru Snow, Veteran's Day Poppy

I still don't like this album that much. I can kind of get it more after the second listen. I do really like how it just really dirty, raw music. I wouldn't be surprised if a lot of the instrumentals are improvised just because of how spastic, and insane it is at times. It is hard to explain total insanity. I think his vocals mesh really nice with the sometimes nonsensical background. He is like a drunk jazz singer from New Orleans. Also I really like Moonlight on Vermont for some reason.

6/10

Beefheart's album is meant to be insane, and doesn't pretend to be anything else. It is almost classic, really. That being said... I can't really get used to it. It's everything and nothing at the same time. Props, but not my taste.

6/10

That's right, the mascara snake, fast and bulbous.

You guys can blame me for introducing BC to this.

Trout Mask Replica reminds me of a Jackson Pollock painting in the sense that I appreciate what it's doing more than I actually enjoy consuming it. All the choices definitely feel deliberate and they definitely take skill/talent to produce but at the same time it isn't very enjoyable for me. Some songs are fun to me if for no other reason than them being weird and they do have a strange charm to them ( Pena, Dachau Blues, Ella Guru, Moonlight on Vermont) but a lot of the album's run-time ranges between slightly annoying to boring once the initial novelty wears off for me and the album continues for another half hour of the same. It's certainly a unique experience. I agree with the sentiment a lot of others seem to have about disliking it at first and having it grow on them since this is my second listen and I have a better opinion on it now. Hopefully someday I'll come back to it and enjoy it a lot more than I do now. Until then I'm feeling about a 5/10.

I would definitely recommend taking a listen to Clear Spot and Safe as Milk for a much more accessible Beefheart experience since he is a legitimately good musician with a good voice and I wouldn't want TMR to make someone stay away from everything he's made.

I didn't want to put a date on this one because it is harder to listen to.

@Cinesra can go anytime he :D

This has been a very hard week of school, so sorry for not getting to this sooner! I have failed you guys by not giving a deadline :C

Overall I thought this was a very good album. I did some research like I normally do before I listen to these albums. Like what genre they are what year it came out, and how it was received. I was surprised that Pitchfork rated this above Yankee Hotel Foxtrot-Wilco for album of 2002. After I listen to this album I think that Yankee Hotel Foxtrot should have been given the number 1 spot. This album is very good on it's own though. It is a really solid Indie Rock album that I may actually listen to again.

8.5/10

It was a decent album overall. Very solid, and with more or less good songs across the board. It lacked any exceptional moments, maybe, but that added to its consistency. A good example of its genre in my opinion.

7.5/10

Back