PokeBeach Album Club

Mr.Muffin

Cooler than Everyone who is less Cool than Me!
The Quick and Easy Rundown!: Twice a month a member chooses an album for the whole club to listen to. It can be from any part of music spectrum from the new Fall Out Boy album to Pink Floyd, or some weird indie album that has flown completely under the radar. As long as you can find a place where you can stream the album it is fine. The goal of this club is to widen the musical knowledge of everyone involved, and to give people a reason to listen outside of their musical comfort zone. If a metal-head is able to find a pop album they love, or a jazz enthusiast learns they love the new Mastodon album then goal of the club is accomplished.

Other Things: Every album must be reviewed, and ranked. The reviews can be something really quick like 150 words or less. Just as long as you get your opinions across in the post, and why you put it at that ranking.

Example of how it will go down:
Person 1: This week we are listening to a new album that came out _______ by _______.
Person 2: *insert review here* 7/10
Person 3: *insert review here* 3/10
Person 1: *insert review here* 9/10
Person 2: This week we are listening to the album Dark Side of the Moon by Pink Floyd

Members(Any one is welcomed!):
1.Muffin
2.Breakfast Cereal
3.Cinesra
4.Chaos Jackal
5.Charmaniac
6.Blui
7.Reshiwott
8.Temporal-Shadow

Last edited:
I will pick the first album on 1/19. Give people a couple days to join.

My first choice is....

Plasticbeach452.jpg

Plastic Beach-Gorillaz

Get to listening punks! I wanted to pick an album that I found really interesting, and the first type I thought about was the Concept Album. I had a list of albums like Ziggy Stardust, Sgt. Pepper's, and In the Aeroplane Over the Sea, but I wanted to pick an album less people have probably listened to.

P.S. It is never to late to join!

Cool!

Also the album is on Spotify.

We will pick the next album on 1/30!

Joining the club. I've got some albums I'd like everyone to hear.

Also, as a note to any non-music enthusiasts, listen to the album we're reviewing at least twice. For the most part they shouldn't be sticking at one listen.

In the Aeroplane Over the Sea

IIII LOOOVEEEEE YOUUU JESSSUUUUUSSS CHRRIIIIIISSSTTTT 10/10

All hail King Neptune and his water-breathers.

Plastic Beach is a pretty good album. It has some pretty good songs but some I didn't care for and it ended weaker than it was toward the beginning and middle. I wouldn't say there are any /bad/ songs but the weaker tracks like Sweepstakes, To Binge, and Snoop Wombat's song just paled in comparison to the great ones like White Flag, Rhinestone Eyes, Empire Ants, Plastic Beach, and Some Kind of Nature.

7 or 8 out of ten.

Cinesra said:
Snoop Wombat
kek

Favorite tracks: White Flag, Superfast Jellyfish, Some Kind of Nature, Pirate Jet
Least favorite track: Glitter Freeze

Finished the album for the second time this morning. All in all, I really enjoyed listening to it. Snoop's verse on Welcome to the Plastic Beach left me wanting a lot more, knowing what he can do, so that was really disappointing. The last few tracks did fall off pretty hard, which was disappointing as well, but Pirate Jet is a really great ending for this album. Not sure why I found that song so endearing.

Only track that I can say I can't stand without a doubt would have to be Glitter Freeze. The bizarre oscillating high-pitched synth notes that play through the entire song really get on my nerves after a while.

7 out of 10. Good album choice!

I love the Gorillaz, and they will remain in my top 5 favorite bands for a long time. The one thing I have against them is that they make better singles then albums. Even though they have made albums like Demon Days and this one which have a close place in my heart for being a very fun album they seem to make their album a collection of singles than an album. This album is the exception to this. The Plastic Beach feels like a story one that I don't understand, but it feels like a story.The album has some really dank tracks like On Melancholy Hill, Empire Ants, and Rhinestone Eyes. These tracks are matched with really weird and fun tracks like Suparfast Jellyfish and Some Kinda of Nature. Even though this album has some of the best tracks in the Gorillaz discography it has some of my least favorites like Glitter Freeze and Sweepstakes. These songs seem really out of place, and they are drop off in a very solid album.

Overall this album is great, but not amazing. If it didn't have tracks like Glitter Freeze I may consider giving it a 7.9, but I can't really defend anything more than that. This album has a lot going for it, but the most I can justify is a....

7/10. Good album that is worth a listen, and if you like it buy it on CD.

The album was refreshingly different compared to what I usually listen.
It had good tracks such as Pirate Jet, Some Kind of Nature and On Melancholy Hill, but Rhinestone Eyes and Glitter Freeze were a pain to listen.
I wouldn't say it's a bad album but it just wasn't my kind of music.

Still, I enjoyed listening something different than I usually do. 5/10

I've never been much of a Gorillaz fan. Their music always has great direction but vocal performances on their tracks often seem to stray from the direction originally intended. This is how I felt about a lot of 'Plastic Beach.' A lot of tracks sound great with the concept of it all in mind but the vocals don't really go hand-in-hand with the concept.

The album starts out strong enough holding some of my favorite songs on this album (after four minutes of orchestral and an off performance from Snoop Dog) that hit all their goals and stride with them. Towards the middle of this album the songs seem to take a hit. They become longer and lose a lot of the feel that earlier tracks had. It should be noted that this is only in the vocal department for me at least as the instrumentals are consistently good throughout the album.

As previously stated, Glitter Freeze is just a pain to listen to.

TL;DR: I shiggydig the concept and instrumentals but vocals feel weak here.

FAV TRACKS: White Flag, Superfast Jellyfish, Some Kind of Nature
LEAST FAV TRACKS: Glitter Freeze
6/10

This is definitely not my kind of music, and I can't say I was very impressed. The album overall felt like it lacked consistency and feeling (possibly because of the huge and diverse number of guest artists), with many ups and downs and the variety being tiring instead of refreshing. Some songs (Intro, Some Kind of Nature) felt way stronger than a lot of others (Rhinestone Eyes, Glitter Freeze), and the all-around vibe of the album suffered from these comparisons and good performances mixed with lacking ones. 4/10

I guess I'm the only one who didn't hate Glitter Freeze. It felt like it was just there to pad out air time, but I found it listenable. Better than Sweepstakes. I'm going to have to agree with others that the Gorillaz are more of a singles band and that plastic beach feels a little choppy because of the variety.

Back