XY Pokémon X / Y : Disappointments & Possible Improvements

RE: Pokémon X / Y : Disappointments and Possible Improvements

NPCs walk so awkwardly. When they take a step forward it looks like they're hopping :p

-I hate the fact that you can't import from HGSS, and that many Pokemon aren't obtainable otherwise outside of the safari nonsense.

-I hate that many obscure, forgotten Pokemon got mega forms, but not my beloved Hypno. They should have either done it for ALL gen 1-3 Pokémon, or JUST the popular/significant ones, instead of picking and choosing seemingly at random.

-Mega Pinsir being bug/flying. WHY! It's more detrimental then anything, he was better off as pure bug! They SHOULD have made him bug/dark, especially with that design, but nooooo, that would make too much sense! Just have his mega form add MORE WEAKNESSES, right?

Those are really the only problems I have with this game so far from what I've read online...but I won't have the game until later today. I also hope that they at least add some DLC if there's not much to do after the Elite 4. I also hope the game itself is at least somewhat challenging. I don't do competitive battling, but I'd like the actual game and CPU opponents to be challenging but fair, like Emerald's Battle Frontier.

I forgot to mention this before, but when your Pokémon is paralyzed, the effect looks really dumb.

Things I think could of been improved:
When a Pokémon uses Leer/Glare, its eyes stay normal. I think it would of been look to see Pokémon actually look like they're Glaring.

When Pokémon use Tail Whip, they don't even wag their tail.

Pokémon X / Y : Disappointments and Possible Improvements

The disappointments I have are that the gym leaders and Elite Four were the easiest ever! I went in to the E4 and used three revives and a few Hyper Potions and beat it within 15 mins!

Also, the frame rate drops are frustrating.

Apart from that, I have no qualms!

Youngster Joey doesn't have Rattata.

The most Pokémon GLs use is 3 and the most Pokémon the E4 use is 4. Can't they go back to Gyms using 4/5 E4 using 5?

As much as I love the game so far (coming up to the second gym) there have been a couple of odd design choices. I mean the forest gave you a plentiful supply of Antidotes yet a free, infinite, full party heal was following you throughout and the forest only contained one single thing that could possibly poison you. Any kind of item in there seemed useless considering I was basically pecking through everything without worry.

Something that occurs in most games is the ability to get Pokeballs before you are taught how to use them. If you want to show new players how to catch Pokemon it's perfectly fine but don't give the items to experienced players and then teach them how to play. More on this is the key item Adventure Rules. A manual on the extremely basic grasps of the game shouldn't be in there, let alone a key item that you need on hand at the push of a button.
"Uh-oh. Oh God. How do I catch a Pokemon again? Uh. Uh. Oh yeah. Adventure Rule No. 3 Throw Poke Balls to capture Pokemon! Phew!"
I mean at least the trainer signs were out the way.

Another thing is the hand holding. Whenever I'm just about to think I'm going to have some kind of adventure, I'm dragged to this route, I can't go here, talk to your mother first. Maybe it will open up later on like the past games but I'm a little afraid it will continue like this.

It's disappointing that Nintendo is refusing to let me enter the Play Search System, therefore alienating me from getting all Pokémon.

Pokémon I can't get:
Alakazam
Machamp
Golem
Gengar
Politoed
Slowking
Steelix
Kingdra
Scizor
Huntail
Gorebyss
Rhyperior
Gigalith
Conkeldurr
Escavalier
Accelgor
Feebas
Spritzees evo
Slurpuffs evo
Claunchers evo
Emo Seahorse's evo
Ghost/Grass types.

22/454
454-22 = 432 I can still get

Plus:
Mega T-Tar
Mega Aggron
Which other Megas require trades for the items.

Not sure if it's because I downloaded it from the eShop, but the slowdown that will sometimes happen from certain camera angles in battle is annoying.

I only have one so far:

-Roller Skates. I thought I would have loved this feature, but WHY CAN"T WE TAKE THEM OFF? Or maybe I just haven't found a way to remove them, anyone know? It makes navigating many areas pretty annoying (hedge maze, anybody?) and can be difficult to control most of the time...

Super Training is quite boring and tedious. All you do is just click the touch screen until you gain arthritis. Have fun! There's no skill in it, you just whale soccer balls at a goal until you get the needed amount of points. The only thing I like about it is that it can visibly show you your Pokemon's EVs.

Wailady said:
I only have one so far:

-Roller Skates. I thought I would have loved this feature, but WHY CAN"T WE TAKE THEM OFF? Or maybe I just haven't found a way to remove them, anyone know? It makes navigating many areas pretty annoying (hedge maze, anybody?) and can be difficult to control most of the time...

Yeah, they were particularly poorly implemented which is very annoying. I find controlling with the D-pad to be more precise and honestly needed quite a bit...

Joey not having a Rattata is definitely a huge missed opportunity as many have already stated.

No 3D in the overworld was probably my biggest disappointment before I even played the game and still is. Some of the overworld would have looked great if they had put it in at least in my opinion.

dmaster out.

Poison Master said:
James86134 said:
All of us are in the same boat. You don't have to beg, simply put your FC in the registry and you'll get at least three people asking to friend you.

They have 450 different pokemon in the game, new moves, an entirely different type, all 450 pokemon have to be a 3D model, as well as the forms. I'm shocked that we even got 40, let alone 70 new pokemon.
I didn't know this was the "let me debate your personal feelings about the game" thread.

I'm sure X and Y will be the best Pokemon games ever (I've yet to get mine), but 70 new Pokemon is disgustingly low. I'll always be disappointed about that. New Pokemon is the main draw of a new generation, in my opinion.

How can new Pokemon be the main draw of a new generation when most of the time they're the subject of harsh criticism especially from genwunners? I'm not saying that having new Pokemon introduced into a new Generation is a bad thing but when it comes to new Pokemon designs in a new Generation of Pokemon, Game Freak should for the most part put real effort into appealing to Pokemon fans of all ages not just little kids when the Pokemon video games are rated E for Everyone. Although in terms of gameplay, features, and mechanics, Game Freak really outdone themselves with X/Y If only they had made level grinding and breeding less tedious in Gen VI. The new Kalos region Pokemon are IMO much better than the Unova region Pokemon which felt forgettable.

Amphy23 said:
Super Training is quite boring and tedious. All you do is just click the touch screen until you gain arthritis. Have fun! There's no skill in it, you just whale soccer balls at a goal until you get the needed amount of points. The only thing I like about it is that it can visibly show you your Pokemon's EVs.

Well it's either playing mini-games to increase the Base Stats on the Pokemon you're EV Training for or you EV train the old fashioned way which is fainting a specific Pokemon species a certain number of times until your Pokemon get it's EV's maxed out. In terms of Gen VI visibly showing you your Pokemon's EV's they could've at least displayed actual numbers instead of a graph that adds pointless complexity to something so simple. BW2 made it easier for you to find out what Stats your Pokemon maxed out on even though it didn't give you specific numbers displaying it which X/Y should've done.

It seems to me that Game Freak is trying to appeal to older fans by having many Gen I Pokémon and offering the chance to get one of the Gen I starters. To me, it's just a little boring. I'd like to see fresh and new things, not just old re-made things.

Now I've done it, I found the champion seriously underwhelming.

There was only 1 time one of my Pokemon fainted in that battle - and I'm not surprised since I sent out a Dark type against a Mega Evolved Fairy.

I think the move deleter/rememberer should be avaiable to you early in the game. (Luminoise City?)

The only thing I'm really unhappy about is the camera-angles used for Lumiose City; it's unnecessarily obtuse and difficult to figure out where you are, where you're going, and where entrances to places are. Thankfully, skating around rather than walking fixes this somewhat, but it's still kind of a pain. Would it really have been that difficult to make this city the same to navigate as the others?

Pikachu's voice to me is the biggest things I really hate - Pikachu getting that special treatment and none others.

Mega Evo is the other disappointment and sadden part, at least for me it is - I just remember getting really excited for the Mega Evos (when they where announced) and on release day (getting really excited to try them) figured out that none of the Pokemon I use in my teams even have a mega evo [I figured out that nintendo (or who ever was in charge for creating Mega Evo) can't make every happy at the same time - at least for the Mega Evo portion - only a few selected Pokemon I don't use - or most part even like - have the Mega Evo].

Not being able to trade between W2 or B2 and X or Y without having wireless internet (I don't have WiFi, only ethernet modem).

LiepardTrainer said:
Pikachu's voice to me is the biggest things I really hate - Pikachu getting that special treatment and none others.

Mega Evo is the other disappointment and sadden part, at least for me it is - I just remember getting really excited for the Mega Evos (when they where announced) and on release day (getting really excited to try them) figured out that none of the Pokemon I use in my teams even have a mega evo [I figured out that nintendo (or who ever was in charge for creating Mega Evo) can't make every happy at the same time - at least for the Mega Evo portion - only a few selected Pokemon I don't use - or most part even like - have the Mega Evo].

Not being able to trade between W2 or B2 and X or Y without having wireless internet (I don't have WiFi, only ethernet modem).

Your modem doesn't have wifi? I thought that was pretty standard nowadays...

And I know it's a hassle, but I'm sure if you have friends that play, they would be happy to trade in your pokemon for you. It's inaccessible until December anyway.

dmaster said:
Wailady said:
I only have one so far:

Yeah, they were particularly poorly implemented which is very annoying. I find controlling with the D-pad to be more precise and honestly needed quite a bit...

Yeah, using the D-Pad is a way but if you like using the joystick I recommend using the Dowsing Machine (once you get it). That way you not only find hidden items but you can also walk or run normally. ^^

Back