XY Pokémon X / Y : Disappointments & Possible Improvements

After all, complaining about the basis of Pokemon games is like complaining about the anime. Pokemon games don't really have any story-wise connection between them (unless you call the mentions to Colress, Gary, Eterna and Lavaridge connections) and are meant to be the same, just like every new generation of the anime is the same as the old ones, with Ash making the same mistakes (e.g. Electric on Ground) and never growing up and the only connections being some 1-episode reappearances of May, Misty and Charizard. Pokemon have a philosophy like "we want every new player/viewer to have the same experience as the old ones did, and we plan to keep the old customers simply because we know the franchise is addictive". As it is, complaints about the story are pretty much pointless. Sure, some stories were better, but only slightly.

Realistic graphics don't really mesh with pokemon, and inserting pokemon into extremely detailed environments works even less (Evidence: the latest live action pokemon XY trailers, pokemon battle revolution). The pokemon games will never get to the photorrealistic level of mainstream games for two reasons: one, nintendo will always be behind its competitors in graphical prowess (hardware-wise) and two, it simply shouldn't. X and Y's graphic style is just that, a graphic style. Nowadays, any relatively big studio can pull photorrealism off (dontnod, remember me, 2013), but there are few that can do art. Super princess peach, The legend of zelda skyward sword, okami, many others and now pokemon XY are games that rely in more than graphic power to show what they want to. You are now playing pokemon the way it was always supposed to be played, graphics-wise. in 3d models (pokemon stadium onwards, the pokepark games) but with art that brings the original ken sugimori's artwork (and he is a big part of pokemon's appeal, both in art terms and design-wise) without losing it's charms (pokemon battle revolution).
So, take it from someone who's been making 3d pokemon for 12+ years; pokemon + realism is a no-no.

You got me wrong. I'm not asking for a Crysis like graphic in Pokémon. Hell no! I couldn't cope with that at all. I like the current 3D graphic, since it suits Pokémon perfectly. The thing I cannot comprehend is the fact, that this graphic is nothing new in the industry. So how the hell can you be so occupied with the most basic form of 3D graphic nowadays, that you nearly throw every tradition Pokémon had out of the window. That sounds ridiculous and unprofessional to me.

- The Batman Game Trilogy got released on a 2 years base.
It's not really relevant, I guess each company releases their new stuff when appropiate.

Exactly , when appropriate. Now, I'm having really hard issues, justifying the release of XY as appropriate, because it lacks things (that are nearly a tradition by now), the past generations didn't.
True, they added a lot of new things to the game too, but that is the point of expanding a series. Upgrading it, while keeping the good stuff from the past parts in it.
And it is kinda relevant. Given the development time you can see how well organized the company behind the game is. All of these games are masterpieces which don't show the same pattern (at least not in every aspect) throughout the series.

- Every part had a unique (better) story line (and with unique I don't mean one protagonist with a rival, one team trying to do evil things with a legendary they find)
Well, it's batman. Year one, the long halloween, batman TAS, batman TAS, batman TAS and many other stories about him are some of the best regarded literary works (romeo and juliet are crap compared to mad love. I'm serious) and their characters always give lots of room for development and interesting stories, unlike the formulaic, impersonal characters in pokemon.

I certainly agree, but it's up to the developers how they handle their story. If you're already follow the same pattern for a decade, which I absolutely don't mind, then IMPROVE FOR F*CK'S SAKE.

That's like ordering a cheeseburger and the waitress tells you "Oh we have a new burger, that is like the cheeseburger, only better and a bit more expensive".
You say "Sh*t, aight, bring me the good stuff" and she brings you a Hamburger, which is decorated prettier than the cheeseburger, but at the end you got less out of it and paid more.

- Every part stepped up their graphic
Really? scale, certainly, but in close quarters, city's graphics didn't seem as different from asylum's.

Comparing to Pokémon's evolution througout the years, scale alone can be called a step up imo. But yeah, between those two the details didn't get much better.

- Every part improved their gameplay
Uhhh, asylum's gameplay was perfect already... the only thing rocksteady needed to do to improve it was giving you all gadgets from the begining (which they did, mostly).

And here again you're pointing out a difference between GameFreak and mostly any other company on this world. They're improving things, while GameFreak just cuts traditions off if it means too much work.
Pokémon's core construct is perfect itself. The only thing left is improvement. To be fair, GameFreak does improve their games, but compared to some other games those are smaller than babysteps. This gen really had it coming, before release you were expecting all kinds of stuff because it seemed like Pokémon but way more awesome. But then after release, you got hit with the truck of reality. You paid a very high price for a graphic that should be taken for granted even for the Nintendo market.

- Every part was released for 5 different systems (PS3, Xbox, PC, Wii U, Mac)
Independent developer without exclusivity. And they would have faced a very angry mob if they decided to make it exclusive for something. and batman wouldn't have saved them.

The thing I was trying to point out here was not the lack of Pokémon being played on other systems but the width. It's not the same programing a game for the Wii U and for the Xbox. It's time consuming to program one game for 5 different system. Truth be told, there was some release difference between some of the systems. Pokémon is released only for the DS (which I don't mind, I was even ready to buy the 3DS), which means that the whole development time can be focused on the game, since you're programming it one way.

- Second series the company ever developed
Pokemon was the second videogame GF made, when they were in the verge of bankruptcy and nintendo wasn't doing very well.

Cool story (don't mean to offend), but now they're rich as f*** and can certainly use some of their wealth to hire more staff if they're lacking personal to develop a rather decent game.

- Same story, just different names
Sadly, pokemon never was vey good when it comes to story, it was always more about gameplay and a deep personal experience.

Well, it seemed like with BW they were just about to take the story a bit more into focus. They were taking ethical and moral aspects into the story, which were necessary. I mean it cannot be taken for granted that you put a living being into a god damn ball for most of the time.
This time we have some rich ass moron that is having issues... wait you're not through with the game, so I don't wanna spoiler you. But you'll see yourself that this "plot" makes no sense from beginning to the end, even for Japanese standards this was more than shitty ( and I've seen a lot of shitty stories in my life).

- Same graphic, just different locations (after more than a decade a milestone)
The consoles didn't gave them much leeway in that regard, either. Up to now, they were all sprite based.
- Same gameplay, occasionally an improvement/addition
GF is very cautious.

This is not about caution, this is pure rip off. If I'd try to be cautious, I would have improved my already good qualities and wouldn't waste my money on some random screams that nearly nobody gives a damn about.
I wasn't criticizing the graphic, I was trying to point out that they hadn't to worry about improving the graphic, since it couldn't be done due to the console. This is a very important point, since developers usually have to make sure to keep their graphic up to date. GameFreak didn't had the need to worry about such things and could focus on "better" story and such.

- New Pokémon, occasionally new typings
That's kind of the whole point of the game.

I agree to 100%. Yet we have just 69 new Pokémon, a new type this generation and MegaEvolutions. One of those standards GameFreak dropped this generation. With 69 new Pokémon you're having a hard time to make even Version exclusives. One can count the Mega Pokémon as new Pokémon, but I certainly don't. That'd make Shaymin's, Giratina's, Keldeo's, Meloetta's, Deoxy's, etc. alternative forms new Pokémon too.

- New game released every year; new generation every second year
2 years? I thought it was something like 4...

I think so, but I think they was a longer gap between DPP and BW, dunno for sure.

Nintendo has exclusivity, and masuda himself said that he can't really see pokemon RPGs in a non-portable console in the future.
- Veterans in the game industry with a high focus on the Pokémon series (rarely develop any other games anymore)
And they are the best at pokemon.

Like I said, it's more about the development aspect than the variety aspect.
They are the best, but they have no competition in Pokémon (at least not for the edition part in Pokémon), so they're the best and worst at the same time.

I can be serious to tell you that, they had to make the whole thing from scratch, that's no easy feat. and yes, the story is sad. I'm only about to beat korrina, but I admit, the little story I saw is incredibly cheesy (C'mon, lysandre, who the f*** says their life goal out loud when exiting a room? who?) or your friends, who are so one-dimensional, I think ethan in HGSS had more personality. I think that after this game, GF shuld focus on story, maybe take a few pointers from the batman stories, and definitely from BW, which didn't just had a good, well crafted story (for pokemon standards), but also deconstructed the very core of the franchise while it forced you to continue in that paradigm, something incredibly deep and smart for any videogame, not just pokemon.

That's why I'm hoping this drop in quality is just because of the switch to 3D and not something we can expect so see one more time.
I mean, as shitty as I may make it sound, I still love the game, for different reasons (memories for example). That's one magical quality Pokémon has and won't lose throughout the generations.
Yet, I'm sceptic about the generations after the veterans stop playing Pokémon. Most of us started with Day 1 of Pokémon. This makes us and the games special, since it followed us through our lives and we followed it through it's whole development up until now. I doubt that the players that started with Hoenn, Sinnoh or Unova will feel this way towards Pokémon and not to mention the new players that will start with generation 7 or 9. As a Pokémon lover since day 1, I'm warning GameFreak to be prepared to keep improving from now on with bigger steps, because all the generations after us are and will be more demanding.
They won't see Pokémon as a whole and won't know the progress it made with every generation, but will just see it as one game next to 1000000 other games on the market.

Aw man, again I couldn't stop myself from writing -_-

I am sure all of this was mentioned already, but there are several things I was disappointed and satisfied with:

Disappointments:

1. The Gym Leaders. The gym leaders in this game barely had any personality, particularly the ones after the 3rd gym. Clemont and Wulfric can be exceptions, but the others were just there and didn't do anything but be a gym leader. I am not asking for a complex story with each gym leader, but a small side story or more events linking to the gym leaders.

2. The Game 'Level' Do not get me wrong, I LOVE the new exp share and I am so happy they implemented it.... HOWEVER... I thought that because of the Exp share the game was going to be hard as hell. I did not expect to zoom through with over-leveled Pokemon.

3. CHAMPION DIANTHA. (This is going to be petty)... I was SOOO excited for another female champion and I loved her design... I did NOT love how she barely recognized Kalos' savior! All of the champions in the past knew of us, she was like "Who are you?... OH!" %^@$! How dare you! Lol

4. Lack of Customization This one is pretty trivial, but I was pretty disappointed with the lack of hairstyles/hair colors in this game. I will also throw in the lack of boutiques, maybe? Maybe they can implement more clothing styles? I screamed about how we couldn't take off our hats before the game, and I am going to scream about it more. They probably will always make us wear hats, but the hats they have in game do not match some of the styles of the clothes offered... I really liked some of the male's hats but of course, playing as a female, you aren't able to get them.

5. Waiting for Pokemon Bank. Why didn't they push for Bank to open when these games came out? We really have to sit until January(?) to transfer our Pokemon from BW2?

Satisfaction~

1. Elite Four. I wasn't too happy with the fact that they all only had four pokemon... but I was really happy with the elite four in general... particularly Marva. She threatened to kill me... that's awesome! Haha. I loved their personality and how their rooms were set up... it made the experience super epic.

2. Double Starter! I LOVED getting two starters!!!! Enough said!

3. The Rest of the Game Overall, I really loved this game and I do not regret my comments of it being the best Pokemon Game they've made so far.

~~

Blob55 said:
The problem I have, is I need TWO Shiny Stones for my X play through, while you can only find one.

Not trying to attack you, but 90% if not 99% of your posts in this thread are little things that you throw a fit over.

"I only have one shiny stone and I need two- THERE ARE NOT ENOUGH EVO STONES IN THIS GAME ASDFSFGHYQEWDQ!!11"

"Zigzagoon's cry isn't exactly the same as before- THEY RUINED POKEMON CRIES!!11"

Maybe this is just me, but there seems to be more evolution stones for free than in any other previous game. I can't recall any other Pokemon game where I haven't had to buy most of the evo stones. At one point I had 3 of one, possibly a Leaf or Sun Stone.

You got me wrong. I'm not asking for a Crysis like graphic in Pokémon. Hell no! I couldn't cope with that at all. I like the current 3D graphic, since it suits Pokémon perfectly. The thing I cannot comprehend is the fact, that this graphic is nothing new in the industry. So how the hell can you be so occupied with the most basic form of 3D graphic nowadays, that you nearly throw every tradition Pokémon had out of the window. That sounds ridiculous and unprofessional to me.

The XY graphics are new in the industry. for a lot of rendering software, it's very hard to interpret and show 3d images as 2d drawings, their new engine not only does that, but it also shades everything as sugimori would, that's probably the hardest part, making an engine that is equal to the art of a real person.
And they were so occupied with "not" the most basic form of 3d graphics that they couldnt give so much time to the rest of the stuff. You see the production of the game as casuality, it seems, as various threads all going to the same place, but it actually is causality, like all the threads intertwining in different intervals, thay simply can't say "okay, some of you make pokemon, some make a groundbreaking story, some make awesome music and some make a fully new engine". They have limitations too.

Exactly , when appropriate. Now, I'm having really hard issues, justifying the release of XY as appropriate, because it lacks things (that are nearly a tradition by now), the past generations didn't.
True, they added a lot of new things to the game too, but that is the point of expanding a series. Upgrading it, while keeping the good stuff from the past parts in it.
And it is kinda relevant. Given the development time you can see how well organized the company behind the game is. All of these games are masterpieces which don't show the same pattern (at least not in every aspect) throughout the series.

And what are traditions? GF broke a lot of them this gen and the past one, to the point we are not even sure of what's to come in the future; will it be two games? RSE remakes? sequels? pokemon 0? pokemon Z? will they release half of the pokedex next year? was this all of gen VI?

I certainly agree, but it's up to the developers how they handle their story. If you're already follow the same pattern for a decade, which I absolutely don't mind, then IMPROVE FOR F*CK'S SAKE.
That's like ordering a cheeseburger and the waitress tells you "Oh we have a new burger, that is like the cheeseburger, only better and a bit more expensive".
You say "Sh*t, aight, bring me the good stuff" and she brings you a Hamburger, which is decorated prettier than the cheeseburger, but at the end you got less out of it and paid more.

Yes, story isn't the pokemon franchise's forte, and it is damn time they get around to improving it.

Comparing to Pokémon's evolution througout the years, scale alone can be called a step up imo. But yeah, between those two the details didn't get much better.

And scale did improve: now we have fully 3d worlds, beautiful landscapes, camera motions, a surprisingly long drawing distance and more.

And here again you're pointing out a difference between GameFreak and mostly any other company on this world. They're improving things, while GameFreak just cuts traditions off if it means too much work.
Pokémon's core construct is perfect itself. The only thing left is improvement. To be fair, GameFreak does improve their games, but compared to some other games those are smaller than babysteps. This gen really had it coming, before release you were expecting all kinds of stuff because it seemed like Pokémon but way more awesome. But then after release, you got hit with the truck of reality. You paid a very high price for a graphic that should be taken for granted even for the Nintendo market.

"a difference between GameFreak and mostly any other company on this world. They're improving things"
call of duty. FIFA 15, aliens: colonial marines, Assasins creed III (just in story, though, they did improve some stuff), resident evil 6, etc.
"You paid a very high price for a graphic that should be taken for granted even for the Nintendo market."
You answered your own question here:
"I like the current 3D graphic, since it suits Pokémon perfectly" if it's perfect, do you really care if it's less than other games? which, as I said before, has to do with the capabilities of all nintendo hardware compared to their competitors and the game's own art style. Look at kirby's epic yarn; its graphics are charming and beautiful, yet, it's not so different from a sprite/layer based game. In a fourth gen system.
And the XY graphics are, for the moment, the best in the 3ds's gallery, so, should they be really taken for granted?

The thing I was trying to point out here was not the lack of Pokémon being played on other systems but the width. It's not the same programing a game for the Wii U and for the Xbox. It's time consuming to program one game for 5 different system. Truth be told, there was some release difference between some of the systems. Pokémon is released only for the DS (which I don't mind, I was even ready to buy the 3DS), which means that the whole development time can be focused on the game, since you're programming it one way.

Actually, games are programmed in only one system (usually Xbox, I believe, though I could be mistaken), and later ported to other systems. many times it's just programming in-engine and later merged with system-specific features (look at RE: revelations, it uses the same engine as RE5 but it was developed for 3DS and later ported with the same quality to PS4 and PC).

Cool story (don't mean to offend), but now they're rich as f*** and can certainly use some of their wealth to hire more staff if they're lacking personal to develop a rather decent game.

I can't really talk for GF here, but I'd guess they want to remain relatively small.

Well, it seemed like with BW they were just about to take the story a bit more into focus. They were taking ethical and moral aspects into the story, which were necessary. I mean it cannot be taken for granted that you put a living being into a god damn ball for most of the time.
This time we have some rich ass moron that is having issues... wait you're not through with the game, so I don't wanna spoiler you. But you'll see yourself that this "plot" makes no sense from beginning to the end, even for Japanese standards this was more than shitty ( and I've seen a lot of shitty stories in my life).

I heard some people saying they liked the story, I heard many others villifing it... so far, the pacing is terrible, the characters shallow, lysandre is plain ridiculous, the flare guys make me want to pull a shotgun and blow them in the head when they are voguing, the gym leaders could be cardboard cutouts for all the good they make, and I'm getting tired of getting free stuff from people without much reason ("hey! you defeated my sister! here, take this exp. all.") and not being able to get into places for stupid reasosns ("oh, you are not stylish enough, so we don't want your non stylish money" f*** off, lady, just let me buy, the only other store sells stupid sporty stuff, I want classy shit, like what you have here.).

This is not about caution, this is pure rip off. If I'd try to be cautious, I would have improved my already good qualities and wouldn't waste my money on some random screams that nearly nobody gives a damn about.
I wasn't criticizing the graphic, I was trying to point out that they hadn't to worry about improving the graphic, since it couldn't be done due to the console. This is a very important point, since developers usually have to make sure to keep their graphic up to date. GameFreak didn't had the need to worry about such things and could focus on "better" story and such.

Well, if they hadn't improved the pokemon cries, people would have complained about having a game so advanced but still hearing the old cries. I remember that when the first trailers came out, one of the very first things people noticed was the updated cries on old pokemon. You said that before, without improving much in graphics GF could focus in better story. They didn't. Now, when they are focusing on the graphics, they probably couldn't focus on the story even if they wanted to ,which they didn't before. Let's just hope the next games are way better, with the graphics issue already cleared out in XY.

I agree to 100%. Yet we have just 69 new Pokémon, a new type this generation and MegaEvolutions. One of those standards GameFreak dropped this generation. With 69 new Pokémon you're having a hard time to make even Version exclusives. One can count the Mega Pokémon as new Pokémon, but I certainly don't. That'd make Shaymin's, Giratina's, Keldeo's, Meloetta's, Deoxy's, etc. alternative forms new Pokémon too.

Like I said, it's more about the development aspect than the variety aspect.
They are the best, but they have no competition in Pokémon (at least not for the edition part in Pokémon), so they're the best and worst at the same time.

They do have competition. time, maturity, themselves, a thousand different videogames, any of those things can take fans away from pokemon in a second. The only reason pokemon is still as relevant as it is now is that in the 90s it was just too big to fall. now it's weakened, but far away from death.

That's why I'm hoping this drop in quality is just because of the switch to 3D and not something we can expect so see one more time.
I mean, as shitty as I may make it sound, I still love the game, for different reasons (memories for example). That's one magical quality Pokémon has and won't lose throughout the generations.
Yet, I'm sceptic about the generations after the veterans stop playing Pokémon. Most of us started with Day 1 of Pokémon. This makes us and the games special, since it followed us through our lives and we followed it through it's whole development up until now. I doubt that the players that started with Hoenn, Sinnoh or Unova will feel this way towards Pokémon and not to mention the new players that will start with generation 7 or 9. As a Pokémon lover since day 1, I'm warning GameFreak to be prepared to keep improving from now on with bigger steps, because all the generations after us are and will be more demanding.
They won't see Pokémon as a whole and won't know the progress it made with every generation, but will just see it as one game next to 1000000 other games on the market.

I agree.

Now, I'll abstain from tis conversation because I have a lot to do and writing so much really gets my wrists tired, and I need them for other stuff.

-Increase the catch rate of some Pokemon? I miss the days when it took 20, 30+ pokeballs to catch Legendary and rare Pokemon. When I was resetting for a good natured Yveltal, I never had to use more than 3 pokeballs to catch him and he wasn't even in the Red nor had any status effects.

-Gym Leaders are capped at 3 Pokemon. This makes for a less diverse experience and much less of a challenge when we have 6. If they're keen on keeping Gym Leaders capped at 3 Pokemon, then we should only be allowed to choose 3 Pokemon for Gym Battles, too. (This also applies to the Elite 4 that are capped at 4 Pokemon again, too).

-And overall, trainers just don't have enough Pokemon. I only remember 1 who actually had 6 Pokemon (all Magicarp of course), a couple with 5, and everyone else had 3 or less most of the time.

another new thing

I was disappointed by Tierno and Trevor
Tierno is possibly the most 1-dimensional character to exist - literally there are like 3 lines in the entire story he has that don't relate to dancing at all
Trevor I thought didn't have that much character development and was kinda 1 dimensional as well

One minor thing that they might have also been developing more aside from the new Pokemon would be the ever-convenient PSS.

Gen 5 Wi-Fail was horrible. Connecting to a GTS let alone with another player was a pain in the ass and you have to be in a Pokémon Center to do it, now with the PSS, it can do it anywhere and anytime. If a feature so good is going to make me stop calling Pokmemon Wi-Fi as Wi-Fail, it's good enough to trade 20 or so "new" Pokemon for.

IgnisMagister said:
I want a better online trading program. They took away the smiley faces!

I agree to this, its really annoying trying to know what the other person wants, and telling them what you want without the faces. I can't even think of one reason why they would take it out.

Riskbreakers said:
One minor thing that they might have also been developing more aside from the new Pokemon would be the ever-convenient PSS.

Gen 5 Wi-Fail was horrible. Connecting to a GTS let alone with another player was a pain in the ass and you have to be in a Pokémon Center to do it, now with the PSS, it can do it anywhere and anytime. If a feature so good is going to make me stop calling Pokmemon Wi-Fi as Wi-Fail, it's good enough to trade 20 or so "new" Pokemon for.
Unfortunately, the PSS faces many problems. Except for the fact that the server is overloaded (didn't they learn from the PGL breakdown 4 years ago?), there are things that would have been great, if they worked. The new filter feature in the GTS and the fact that you can now manually enter names instead of having to see the Pokemon are great, but, especially with filters, they cause errors and don't allow you to trade.

ChillBill said:
but, especially with filters, they cause errors and don't allow you to trade.

I think the patch they put out on the eShop fixed this. Haven't tested myself though, just what I've been told.

One of my main complaints thus far is that, from what I can tell, music doesn't have day/night versions. And if they do exist they're not all that different. I'm listening to Jubilife City's Night version at the moment and it's amazing how different it manages to sound from the day version while retaining the same theme. I dunno', it's trivial, but I love it.

Though unless my memory is just absolutely HORRIBLE, I'm pretty sure BW is what kicked this out of the door so... Bleh. Either way, I want it back, confound it.

I'm glad they dont have different music [additions] from standing still and moving like in some places in BW/2 [especially the egg hatching route]... i liked the music from not moving better, but you cant not move when trying to hatch eggs e__e

Oh, and for the first time since 3rd gen i love the bike-riding music~

Back