XY Pokémon X / Y : Disappointments & Possible Improvements

Blob55

Aspiring Trainer
I for one don't like some of the new cries, like Zigzagoon doesn't sound anything like it used to and Bidoof sounds dumber than ever.

Also, I though when your Pokémon fought in XY, you'd see a close-up of your Pokémon attacking, then the reaction shot of the enemy Pokémon, like what done in in trailers.

Is Repel basically useless now? Is a single Repel still only 100 steps?

Leveling up when you capture something is dumb and what's worse, is that your starters level up really fast, so that means you can't capture all Pokémon available in the Routes you pass, because your Pokémon will be 1-Hit KOing everything.

Are there any new Poké Balls at all? Each gen introduced at least one new Poké Ball and it would be helpful if there were a Great/Ultra Ball equivalents of things like Luxury and Heal Balls.

You have to play through at least an hour of the game until you can fully customise your character.

I don't like that instead of seeing sprites or 3D models of Trainers when you fight them, you instead have to fight a cardboard cutout of them.

Joey has no Rattata.

There's no Clock or anything telling you how much Battery you have left.

RE: Things You Don't like XY or Things That Could of Been Done Better

Joey has no Rattata.
So heart broken. :(

Well... what would a clock do for you? The game would just go by the internal clock on the 3DS. And I never used the battery signal in Black/White, my DS usually makes it very clear when its about to die (can't ignore that flashing red very easily).

Having to wait so long to customize is kind of a bummer. Doesn't make any sense that you couldn't customize in the characters bedroom. I would assume he has other outfits. :p

Keeper of Night said:
Joey has no Rattata.
So heart broken. :(

Well... what would a clock do for you? The game would just go by the internal clock on the 3DS. And I never used the battery signal in Black/White, my DS usually makes it very clear when its about to die (can't ignore that flashing red very easily).

Having to wait so long to customize is kind of a bummer. Doesn't make any sense that you couldn't customize in the characters bedroom. I would assume he has other outfits. :p

Because sometimes I'm in a room with no clock.

I also don't like that if you chose the girl, Calem has no hat and vice versa. Why do you HAVE to wear hats if you're the main character? IMO, the girl looks SO much better without the hat.

Why does Shalor have Lucario as her main Pokémon? We ALREADY have a Female Fighting-type GL that has Lucario as her main Pokémon.

I love many of the Mega Evolutions, but I feel like some of them have superfluous add-ons (spikes, points, etc) that just don't feel Pokémon-y and detract from the design. This is most notably seen on Mega Tyranitar and Mega Garchomp (whose spikes look like a kitchen apron). It became clear to me when seeing Megas that I love, such as Alakazam, who look closer to actual evolutions than the same Pokémon with more protrusions.

CMP said:
I love many of the Mega Evolutions, but I feel like some of them have superfluous add-ons (spikes, points, etc) that just don't feel Pokémon-y and detract from the design. This is most notably seen on Mega Tyranitar and Mega Garchomp (whose spikes look like a kitchen apron). It became clear to me when seeing Megas that I love, such as Alakazam, who look closer to actual evolutions than the same Pokémon with more protrusions.

I agree 100%. It's just a spikefest. Some Mega-Evos look worse than regular. Also, I hate how they de-evolve post-battle. It makes them feel less useful. Why not just make "Maga Powers/Abilities" instead? Why evolution if it breaks the second greatest rule? In fact, it breaks the first by making some Pokemon have a fourth stage. Why can't you just have one at a time out of battle, but you still need the stone?

I also wish that Pokemon could follow us out of Pokeballs like in HG/SS, but that's not happening.

RE: Pokémon X / Y : Disappointments and Possible Improvements

This is great, just this morning I was thinking about how the combat has become boring and unrealistic; I know, it's a turn-based RPG combat system, and in those games the characters always remain still like sitting ducks while the opponent beats the crap out of them.

Suddenly, a solution came to me, like an omen:

[img width=500 height=]http://talkingaboutgames.com/wp-content/themes/uploads/stories/games/b/batmanarkhamcity/screenshots/thumbnails/thumb_BAC_combat.jpg[/img]
You have something on your face.

You have a problem? the God Damn Batman is always the solution. always.

Some of you may be familiar with the awesome arkham games, and their amazing combat system.
For those of you who are not, first, play it, second, let's just say the GD Batman can beat almost every non-boss using just two mouse buttons: punch and counter.
When an enemy is going to attack, a prompt appears over his head for a short window of time; if you press punch, duh, if you press counter, the guy attacks, and Batman does some Batmanning (yay, my favorite verb!) and leaves the guy unconscious, as illustrated here by this poor fellows:

[img width=500 height=]http://www.maclife.com/files/gallery/batmanarkhamcity9.png[/img]

With this, Batman can take down entire crowds of people that would send the delta force crying to their mamas without even being hit.
I know, awesome.

So, the idea would be to include this incredibly streamlined and elegant clockwork of kickass in pokemon combats, say, for example, your X against a computer's Y:
- Y attacks
- a timed prompt comes in the lower screen, X's four moves are showed.
- you select a move before running out of time.
- the move you selected either: actively counters Y's move, negating damage; strengthens Y's move, doubling the damage; has a high chance of preventing damage to X; other effects.
- you select X's move
- Y either: yadda yadda yadda, you get the gist.

The reaction time (counter timer) could be dependent on a pokemon's speed, the higher speed, the better reflexes, and the more time you have to make your choice. it would be short, still, less than 2 or 3 seconds, don't want to drag the combat too much, but the timer would slightly increase with level and EVs (since they increase speed) and would give a new strategic value to the stat, besides making the player react to the game and pay attention, instead of watching uselessly the screen. It would also give more relevance to the defenses, since any offensive focused pokemon could be knocked out by a poorly timed counter due to poor defenses, making more rounded, less specialized (not without risks, at least) pokemon more useful.

The moves would spend PP as counters, obviously, and would usually counter other moves based mainly on type, or form (pulse, beam, bite, sound, etc), but with some logical exceptions. Examples:
- All water moves counter electric moves (duplicate the electric move's damage)
- All water moves counter ice moves (negating damage)
- Scald counters ice moves (hits the attacking pokemon)
- Teleport, protect, detect, king's shield, quick guard, acrobatics, mind reader, future sight, the priority moves, etc, give you a 5 in 6 (or some other number, high) chance of avoiding damage.
- All pulses and beams counter pulses and beams (they explode, doing a little damage to both pokemon)
- The blade moves, sacred sword, secret sword, etc always counters each other (negating damage)
- The bites, headbutt, tackle, head bash, head smash, take down, etc (any move where the user just throws itself at the enemy) can't counter anything (counter fails)
- All grass moves counter fire moves (duplicate the fire moves damage)
- All water moves counter fire moves (hits the attacking pokemon)
- All ice moves counter fire moves (negating damage)
- All ground moves counter electric moves (negating damage)
- Flying/levitate pokemon are not affected by ground counters.
- Earthquake and earth power can't counter special moves, just physical.
- Confusion and psychic get a 50% chance of countering physical moves, and a 25% chance of countering special moves.
- The powder (spore, poisonpowder, toxic, stun spore, etc) and sound (screech, metal sound, supersonic, relic song, sing, perish song, etc) moves can't counter special moves, just physical (negate incoming damage, apply outcoming effect/s).
- Offensive stats buff moves can't counter shit.
- Recovery moves can't counter shit.
- Barrier, light screen, calm mind, bulk up, reflect, counter, mirror coat, etc, have a 1 in 3 chance of countering special or physical moves as appropiate.
- Some moves cannot be countered: feint, the never-misses, the priority moves, explosion, etc.

A very interesting thing is that each move would have a list of cobinations both as counter and as the offensive move (adding to the usual physical/special divide, your own attacks, strategys, ability synergy, weather, type matchups, etc) , effectively making combat a lot more difficult to master.

If you are interested, I can make a thread where we could keep speculating on move interactions; with such a huge amount of them, some very interesting combinations can arise, I'm sure of it.

And that's how the combat can be improved. No need to thank me, masuda, now get on with it for gen VII!

Blob55 said:
I for one don't like some of the new cries, like Zigzagoon doesn't sound anything like it used to and Bidoof sounds dumber than ever.

I didn't know people played Pokemon with the sound on D: I've always found it really tinny and irritating, so I mute it and throw some music on.

Blob55 said:
Leveling up when you capture something is dumb and what's worse, is that your starters level up really fast, so that means you can't capture all Pokémon available in the Routes you pass, because your Pokémon will be 1-Hit KOing everything.

Maybe it's my slower playstyle, but I haven't encountered anything like that. I really like the XP when you capture, it bothered me that you could have these massive multiturn battles breaking the wild Pokemon down to red, then get nothing when you captured it.

Blob55 said:

Yes, this is something that really annoyed me. Even a clock would be handy, I don't always have my watch or phone on me and don't like to risk getting lost in it.

There's no Clock or anything telling you how much Battery you have left

No, but there is a warning every few minutes alerting you when your 3DS/2DS has low battery.

I for one am happy for the bonus XP for capturing pokemon. I'm actually using it to train my Fletchling by capturing the new pokemon. And although the starters do level up quickly, it isn't that hard to collect a large variety of pokemon for a team even at the beginning of the game:

Bunnelby, Simisear, Simisage, Simipour, Bidoof, Spewpa, Pikachu, Zigzagoon, Burmy, Fletchling, Chespin, Fennekin, Froakie, and you can get Torchic through event as well.

And all of these can be found in the first two routes and towns...

I also wish that Pokemon could follow us out of Pokeballs like in HG/SS, but that's not happening.

Although a lot of people would like this, you still get to interact with your pokemon in great depth. The S.T module is wonderful (I ended up spending about half an hour collecting some Large punching bags for future pokemon), and Pokemon-Amie is very adorable. Getting to play little mini games with your pokemon, petting it, feeding it. Reminds me of the fourth generation with Poffins and the Poke-Athlon (yes, I know the poke-Athlon is originally from GenII).

James86134 said:
I for one am happy for the bonus XP for capturing pokemon. I'm actually using it to train my Fletchling by capturing the new pokemon. And although the starters do level up quickly, it isn't that hard to collect a large variety of pokemon for a team even at the beginning of the game:

Bunnelby, Simisear, Simisage, Simipour, Bidoof, Spewpa, Pikachu, Zigzagoon, Burmy, Fletchling, Chespin, Fennekin, Froakie, and you can get Torchic through event as well.

But since I'll only be using 1 or 2 Pokémon until the first gym, I'll be in trouble. :(

Blob55 said:
James86134 said:

But since I'll only be using 1 or 2 Pokémon until the first gym, I'll be in trouble. :(

I've already got almost a full team of Spewpa, Chespin, Torchic, Pikachu and Fletchling, and I'm still yet to even talk to the person outside the gym. If you find it that hard, as I have said before, get the event Torchic while its available (if you haven't already). If you have, I'd advise chucking a few pokéballs at one of the Pan-Monkeys and just train it up slightly for some boost in your team.

EDIT: Just because you use a pokemon once for a gym, doesn't mean it has to stay in your team. Try to catch every pokemon available to you, and if you think you're in trouble, train one up and add it to your team temporarily.

Hydrofoil Goat said:
Blob55 said:
Yes, this is something that really annoyed me. Even a clock would be handy, I don't always have my watch or phone on me and don't like to risk getting lost in it.

Well yeah, a clock would be nice but you guys are aware that you can simply press the Home button and you can see the time on your 3DS, right? =S You can then resume it right away, you don't even need to exit the game!!
Alternatively, you can open the Save menu and see the current time there (in real life), even without needing to save the game!

I'm disappointed because:

- I can't catch Vulpix in the game. Why does it have to belong to the group of the pokemon you can't find? The same with Growlithe. I believe that some pokemon you meet in the game are less popular than Ninetales and Arcanine (Spinda for example).
- The Safari Zone has weird rules - I need to have bunch of friends, if I want to catch more pokemon? That's ridiculous. What if I don't have friends who play "Pokemon"? I need to beg unknown fans for adding me to their list because I want to catch something?
- I don't know if ALL new pokemon have been released but actually we have only 70 (or 69). That's a small number

- The Safari Zone has weird rules - I need to have bunch of friends, if I want to catch more pokemon? That's ridiculous. What if I don't have friends who play "Pokemon"? I need to beg unknown fans for adding me to their list because I want to catch something?

All of us are in the same boat. You don't have to beg, simply put your FC in the registry and you'll get at least three people asking to friend you.

- I don't know if ALL new pokemon have been released but actually we have only 70 (or 69). That's a small number

They have 450 different pokemon in the game, new moves, an entirely different type, all 450 pokemon have to be a 3D model, as well as the forms. I'm shocked that we even got 40, let alone 70 new pokemon.

James86134 said:

All of us are in the same boat. You don't have to beg, simply put your FC in the registry and you'll get at least three people asking to friend you.

They have 450 different pokemon in the game, new moves, an entirely different type, all 450 pokemon have to be a 3D model, as well as the forms. I'm shocked that we even got 40, let alone 70 new pokemon.
I didn't know this was the "let me debate your personal feelings about the game" thread.

I'm sure X and Y will be the best Pokemon games ever (I've yet to get mine), but 70 new Pokemon is disgustingly low. I'll always be disappointed about that. New Pokemon is the main draw of a new generation, in my opinion.

I didn't know this was the "let me debate your personal feelings about the game" thread.

It's not like I'm saying, "Your opinions are wrong, here let me shove information down your throat.'

Forums are meant for discussion, and I'm just trying to give a wholist idea.

Blob55 said:
Why does Shalor have Lucario as her main Pokémon? We ALREADY have a Female Fighting-type GL that has Lucario as her main Pokémon.

Korrina doesn't actually use Lucario in her gym battle; her main is Hawlucha.

She only uses Lucario to teach the player about Mega Evolution, which is outside the gym and her title is 'Successor Korrina' or something like that.

I haven't picked up my y version yet, but from the leaks and info b I do not like that the game is conditioned for casual players. Id like s challenge when I play. Also, people are saying there is little post game. I hope they add dlc to fix that. Lastly, I wish there were more new pokemon and pokemon types, Electric/poison. With that being said, x and y looks great still. I can't wait to play. I think it will be the best game to date, just minor details were a little let down.
Edit: glad they nerfed weather a bit. I am looking forward to battling!

Vulpix said:

- I can't catch Vulpix in the game. Why does it have to belong to the group of the pokemon you can't find? The same with Growlithe.

What? I did not know this :( Is it possible to transfer them or can you just not get them at all in X&Y?

Hydrofoil Goat said:
Vulpix said:

- I can't catch Vulpix in the game. Why does it have to belong to the group of the pokemon you can't find? The same with Growlithe.

What? I did not know this :( Is it possible to transfer them or can you just not get them at all in X&Y?

You can transfer them from W/B/W2/B2 via PokeBank. I'm not 100% sure if Vulpix and Growlithe are impossible to catch. Maybe we can find them in Safari Zone or maybe there will be some special event which will allow us to have them without transfering from the older versions.

James86134 said:
Blob55 said:

I've already got almost a full team of Spewpa, Chespin, Torchic, Pikachu and Fletchling, and I'm still yet to even talk to the person outside the gym. If you find it that hard, as I have said before, get the event Torchic while its available (if you haven't already). If you have, I'd advise chucking a few pokéballs at one of the Pan-Monkeys and just train it up slightly for some boost in your team.

EDIT: Just because you use a pokemon once for a gym, doesn't mean it has to stay in your team. Try to catch every pokemon available to you, and if you think you're in trouble, train one up and add it to your team temporarily.

Actually, I only want to train Pokémon that I'm using in Gyms.

For those who want to know what isn't available in XY:
http://www.pokebeach.com/forums/thread-pok%C3%A9dex-kalos?pid=2542887#pid2542887

Back