ORAS Pokémon Contests in OR / AS

BioticKhajiit

Flase prophet
With the upcoming release of Omega Ruby and Alpha Sapphire contests will return as they were part of gen 3.

My question is how they will update contests to make them more appealing and enjoyable with there being less restrictions due to advancement in technology.

One thing they could implement is contest battles from the anime which would make for a fun new battling style that players could also verse each other over wifi. How this would work is beyond me but its nice thought.

What are your ideas on contests in ORAS?

RE: Contests in Pokemon ORAS

I feel they will still use the same mechanics and hopefully bring back Pokeblock. That means you could either evolve Feebas through beauty again and if they decide to use it, be able to use the Prisim Scale if they aren't interested in using the Pokeblocks. After all it was kinda difficult.

I also hope they add where you can dress up Pokemon in it, but that is unlikely with the 3D models. It'd be difficult to do!

Personally I hope they return because it was such a fun way to pass the time on the game. Plus, it was always fun to do the Pokeblock making! :D
It'll also be easier to do the powder thing too because that could be a streetpass feature too. It'd make it so much easier. I personally hope they do it like this. But overall, really want contests back!!!

ScorchingShock said:
I feel they will still use the same mechanics and hopefully bring back Pokeblock. That means you could either evolve Feebas through beauty again and if they decide to use it, be able to use the Prisim Scale if they aren't interested in using the Pokeblocks. After all it was kinda difficult.

I also hope they add where you can dress up Pokemon in it, but that is unlikely with the 3D models. It'd be difficult to do!

Personally I hope they return because it was such a fun way to pass the time on the game. Plus, it was always fun to do the Pokeblock making! :D
It'll also be easier to do the powder thing too because that could be a streetpass feature too. It'd make it so much easier. I personally hope they do it like this. But overall, really want contests back!!!

I actually forgot about pokeblocks, they must (probably are) returning. Berries have declined in trading since they arent needed anywhere near as much now. It would also be good if they had a large championship type contest seen in the anime where you require so many ribbons to enter and with lots more people competeting, rather than just 4 people.

With gen 6 adding trainer customisation you could probabaly also be able to choose different clothing for contests and possibly even have an intro video using the trainer PR videos.

Though I didnt play gen 5 the pokemon musical feature was similar to contests, would that be able to be incorparated into contests?

I loved Pokémon Contests and have longed for their return. It'd be cool and all if they included contest battles, like in the anime, in the video game contests. But what would be even cooler is if ORAS included a 'Pokémon Coordinator' post-game. Where you had to collect a certain amount of ribbons in order to compete in a Grand Festival. Or... Competitive Online Contests! How cool would it be if we could compete in contests over wi-fi, just like battles!

Prince Dedenne said:
I loved Pokémon Contests and have longed for their return. It'd be cool and all if they included contest battles, like in the anime, in the video game contests. But what would be even cooler is if ORAS included a 'Pokémon Coordinator' post-game. Where you had to collect a certain amount of ribbons in order to compete in a Grand Festival. Or... Competitive Online Contests! How cool would it be if we could compete in contests over wi-fi, just like battles!

This right here! It would create another way for players to interact with others online.

I would LOVE contests to return new and improved. I do not think that the way to do it is to incorporate a battle via the anime. Those battles....made no sense. Seriously, each time there was a battle there was no consistency or actual differentiation from actual Pokemon battles. They would have to try really hard to create a balanced system that makes sense.

I think the dress-up portion could work in a way that dressing up your Nintendogs works. I wouldn't want a focus on it though. Perhaps certain items could boost appeal for certain types (bows give a cute boost, sunglasses give a coolness boost, etc.) and thent he main focus could be on the combinations. I loved figuring out logical combinations and thought that managing to pull a combo was decently difficult back in the back. That right there is indirectly a battle; it is a battle of outsmarting your opponents by setting up strategies on how to impress the judges and get them to ignore the other competing Pokemon. I also hope for the cheer system to return, which I quite liked. It would also be FABULOUS for the contests to be in 3D. Just sayin'.

I really hope they bring back contests with a BANG. I could see the whole "Grand Festival" type thing fitting in, even if as a post-game thing. The contests don't necessarily have to be like the anime, but I'd love to see things like double contests or contests over wi-fi teaming up with or against friends. I wouldn't mind SOME dress-up, for power-ups or something, but let's not make it a separate judged event of a contest. Also, don't bring back the Musical =_= it was literally the most boring thing I had ever seen in a Pokemon game. Maybe Pokemon-Amie could make a return and have something to do with contest boosts, like... different Pokepuffs boosting toughness or smartness, etc.

I really kind of hope they don't try to "improve" Contests too much. They made Contests much more complicated in Gen IV, which just served to make them not nearly as fun. No battles, please, or dressing up, or any of that weird stuff.

I guess this is kind of an empty hope, but I'll put it out there anyway.

RE: Pokémon Contests in ORAS

I'd love for it to be more like the anime. Even if they kept the first stage as what they originally had in RSE, but then using two Pokemon to show off, as in the anime. After that, the final one or two stages could be double battles.

Obviously, I understand that these ideas would be complex. However, maybe they could do it so that two Pokemon battling together could gain experience as a duo? For example, using a Plusle and Minun together would start as level 1 (regardless of their individual levels) and then grow after that. I'm not saying it would be easy, but could add a lot more to the contests :)

I hadn't really thought before about how difficult it would be to put in the anime style of contests... especially in retrospect to what TrainerSivan said. It would be hard to not make them overly battle based.

I would LOVE to use multiple pokemon though like the Anime. I don't really want dressing up or dancing to come back. Except maybe trainer dressing up... like if what we wore helped a bit (wear something beautiful, cute, tough, etc...). I'd love pokemon amie to be incorporated as well, with maybe new features... like brushing! That could even be how we feed them our pokeblocks. And for pokmeon Amie to be balanced a little more. It always frustrated me that you couldn't fill all three bars at once... as soon as you played they were hungry and as soon as you fed them, they wanted to play.

But with Amie... I could see you spending time with your pokemon and using it as an "appeal" round. (Judges judge your outfit in conjunction with your pokemons happiness, grooming level, etc...) Than to have a gen three style sort of move show off with combos and maybe even double battles or pokemon switching with longer rounds.

Wi-fi capability is also never a bad idea :)

I loved the contests in Hoenn a lot. I'm not sure if they'll spread them out like in Ruby & Sapphire or put them all in Lilycove like in Emerald, which I found a bit more convenient. If they do the latter, they will probably place the battle tents in the areas the contests used to be, again following Emerald. Those were pretty much put there to promote the battle frontier, which is likely the number one thing I want to see in these remakes, so I certainly wouldn't mind. Scott was always a fun character, too.

Getting back on track, I loved how the first contests worked. Pokeblocks provided a good easy system to raise stats, and they could even be used as safari zone bait. I loved the dress up part and that is the one that I am really curious to see in 3D since they are now using models instead of sprites. I just hope I can once again put a scary face and horns on Mawile's jaw. Of course I also loved the main move-using portion. I had to come up with pokemon with movesets specific movesets designed for all five categories. I liked the way the appeal system worked and how every move had a contest effect that made this portion a lot like battles, except even more tactical in terms of timing. For this reason I'm not exactly worried about a real anime-styled battle portion. And last but not least I want to see that fine museum completed with paintings of my pokemon!

Athena said:
I really kind of hope they don't try to "improve" Contests too much. They made Contests much more complicated in Gen IV, which just served to make them not nearly as fun. No battles, please, or dressing up, or any of that weird stuff.

I guess this is kind of an empty hope, but I'll put it out there anyway.

I support this. I was thinking about this thread and the first thing to come up was battles, like the anime, but the contests are there to provide an option to use Pokémon for other things than battles. While not a total fan of Contests, I've enjoyed myself playing them, mostly in Emerald, in order to help the museum's curator filling that empty room (I didn't make it, but I hope he makes a return in AS/OR :( ) and the reason was because I had to think in another way (playing the Pkblock-making "mini-game" in Lilycove was also much fun!).

PS: yeah...I'm just going there grab my Emerald cartridge in order to visit the Lilycove museum and spend a little time enjoying the marvelous and quiet music and the mother and son watching the painting of a lady with a Pokémon besides her. Nostalgia strickes again!

With the new Corocoro leaks, is there any headway in customisability and contests? Anything mentioned about them?

Aerodactyl said:
With the new Corocoro leaks, is there any headway in customisability and contests? Anything mentioned about them?

Not yet, but we do still have around 6 months until the games release so they could easily be revealed later on.
I'm really hoping for R/S/E style contests, I found them so much more enjoyable than Sinnoh ones, and in 3D they could be aces.

His Goominess said:
Aerodactyl said:

Not yet, but we do still have around 6 months until the games release so they could easily be revealed later on.
I'm really hoping for R/S/E style contests, I found them so much more enjoyable than Sinnoh ones, and in 3D they could be aces.
I love if they brought back contests with an appeals and battle round like in the anime
also with trainer customization, you could dress up all fancy

I think everyone agrees that contests were fun, but I don't want them to be overcomplicated. Maybe a few new features added, but I think there should be something added in the story for people to want to do them. I also agree some sort of final contest with worthwhile prizes would be good, perhaps an item you can't get anywhere else but actually has a purpose.

So mega evolution can happen in contests and they look like they're based on the old RSE model of contests! I feel like all of our dreams are coming true (or at least mine are). We have secret bases back and they're better then ever, new mega evolutions, Pokemon Amie and now contests! All I need is a battle frontier with a battle hall and customization to come back and then, truly, all my dreams will be realized. I will never complain again...

But just looking at the new corocoro leaked artwork has me excited. I can't read Japanese, but rock star pikachu looks like it's riding on that Salamence. Could that possibly mean double contests? I think its way to early to tell but it would be SO cool! Can you imagine the combos you could do? Maybe "double" contests would even mix categories, so like you could have a "cute-smart" contest or a "tough-beauty" contest. I'm still crossing my fingers and hoping contests go online like battles!

Brendan and May look so cool in their costumes. And, since they match the pikachu costumes so well, can we assume we're getting five costumes, one for each category? I hope we do, and we don't only get Popstar for May and Rock star for Brendan. I'm sure we can all agree that we'd like to see both our protagonists in their libre wrestling outfits!

Because the outfits match so well, it makes me wonder about the appeal round. I'm hoping that this confirms customization, and that we can dress up outside the contest hall and not just in it. Cause if customization is brought back, based on the costumes shown, its starting to look like what you wear is judged along side your pokemons "sheen" in the appeal round. Lots of people have mentioned this idea, but its looking like it could actually be a possibiliy now. It would give way more opportunities to personalize and get creative with contests (not to mention all the clothes!). Combined with online contests, I'd just love to see everyone's Pokemon and outfit combinations while I share mine in the thrill of competition.

I'm looking forward to 5th and 6th gen moves finally having contest stats! I want to know if Fairy type moves tend to be cute and beauty, or if some are cool and smart.

Just. Please make them online. Or least have other people compete with you, locally.
It's boring competing against NPC's.

I can't wait for those special Pikachus you can get. Luchachu has pretty much replaced Minun on my Hoenn team.

98Greener said:
Just. Please make them online. Or least have other people compete with you, locally.
It's boring competing against NPC's.

I can't wait for those special Pikachus you can get. Luchachu has pretty much replaced Minun on my Hoenn team.

They've confirmed at least local online play on their website! I'm hoping this extends past local, but we will see.

It also looks like customisation is pretty much confirmed to not return now. We get one outfit, rockstar or popstar depending on if your Brendan or May, and you can only wear it in the contest hall. I'm a little dissapointed that customisation isn't returning, especially because it means all those online battles are going to get super annoying fighting all those Brendan and May clones, but there are so many other awesome features about this game, I think it can forgive it and forget.

But contests.. look AMAZING. Especially with Mega evolution and going back to the original RSE style!

Back