PokéBeach Create-A-Card: Sept. 2014 - Random *Congrats to the Winners*

Metal Gear BIDOOF

Aspiring Trainer
RE: PokéBeach Create-A-Card: Sept. 2014 - Random

So I get the impression I joined just in time for there to be no contest this month?

Luispipe8

Pokémon Professor

Metal Gear BIDOOF said:
So I get the impression I joined just in time for there to be no contest this month?

Oh, there IS going to be Contest next month, we're just wating for IA to post both the results and the next round. I did send out my judgings last night, so it's just a matter of time. ;)

Ice Arceus

#Jovimohnaeliackvid
Forum Mod
Advanced Member

Judged by Heavenly Spoon

Arcticwhite & Luispipe8:
fvif14.jpg

I like the idea of having Pokémon SP “evolve” through less conventional means, and I don’t think this significantly hurts believability. It’s a great way of introducing some lower stage Pokémon to the SP realm without changing the mechanics. The attack is fun, but nothing too special. The HP seems a bit high, but since there’s no real precedent for Baby Pokémon SP, I don’t think I’d be justified in deducing points for this.

Ashe’s blanks are a bit too long, so determining placement’s a bit tricky. Nevertheless, everything seems to be in roughly the right place, except for the the text of the attack and Body, which is a bit too far to the right (the Energy symbols/Body symbol should start on the same vertical line as the text). The damage font seems a bit too big and should line up with the text a bit more (although this may be because the effect text isn’t wide enough). The Grass symbol in the Body also seems a tad too big. Another minor complaint, although I suspect this is through no fault of your own, is that the Energy symbols seem different from the ones used during the era.

I expected the wording to be impeccable, and you did not disappoint. The wording of the Body sounds like it should be “if Budew GL has any [G] Energy attached to it”, or at the very least “if there are any [G] Energy attached to GL”, but for some strange reason Metagross UL uses that wording, so I guess it’s correct.
That being said, there are 2 mistakes for which I’m deducing points for “wording”. First of all, it should be a Poké-Power. Poké-Bodies are used exclusively for effects which are permanently in effect. If there’s a “you may” in there, it’s always a Poké-Power. I’m deducing points for wording for his and not believability because to me this looks like a mistake, and not a conscious decision. The other mistake is that Grass always precedes Psychic when it comes to the order of Energy symbols (you can always check a Kecleon card for reference). Both might not be Luis’ fault, so I’m not saying you’re a bad text-based judge. ;P

Creativity/Originality: 17.5/20
(I like the idea of adding evolutions to the Pokémon SP in a fun and unconventional way.)
Wording: 13.5/15
(The Body instead of Power thing is pretty bad.)
Fonts and Placement: 8/10
(Text too far to the right, other issues.)
Believability/Playability: 4.5/5
(I don’t think SPs evolving is outside the realm of the possible.)
Total: 43.5/50

aschefield101:
128_tauros_ex_by_aschefield101-d7zul8l.png

If only there were points for art...

The placing seems pixel-accurate, I can only tip my hat to you. This is by far the best placement I’ve seen this round, and as perfect as it gets. No errors in wording either.

That being said, I’m afraid I can’t give you a lot of points for creativity. Both attacks seem pretty standard, and the attack names seem only tangentially related. I realise the era this card is supposed to fit in is characterised by its simplicity, but creativity is part of the context, and I expect someone to be at least as creative as a run-of-the-mill card to get a passing grade. If coming up with creative effects isn’t your cup of tea, you can always team up with one of the text-based fakers, because everything else about this card seems beyond perfect.

Creativity/Originality: 12/20
(Creativity is part of the contest, and this card is sadly lacking in that regard.)
Wording: 15/15
(No errors here)
Fonts and Placement: 10.1/10
(Perfect.)
Believability/Playability: 5/5
(Yeah, I could see them making a card like this.)
Total: 42.1/50

Auride:
Tp5AJLI.png

A very creative take on Kangaskhan. I really like the ability, and it’s a gutsy move to make it an Ability and not an attack, as well as making it stackable. Because this promotes some more tactical play I’m all in favour of it. Focussing on the baby as much as you did does hurt believability, though, as the mother will always be there, and should at least be contributing HP and retreat cost.

I can’t find any big placement problems, but something feels wrong with the “x2” font in the weakness. It seems too bold. The name of the Ability also seems too close to the Ability symbol.

The wording for the Ability looks fine, but both “Active” and “Ability” should be capitalised. Always pay attention to this, it’s always sad to lose points because of something as silly as this.

Creativity/Originality: 18.5/20
(Very creative take on Kangaskhan, fun Ability.)
(Capitalisation errors.)
Fonts and Placement: 9/10
(Ability name too far to the left, The “x2” feels off.)
Believability/Playability: 2/5
(Sadly, this seems very unlikely, fun as it may be.)
Total: 43/50

bigfootaus:
gligar_by_jedi201-d7zscpx.png

Lovely use of poison markers in the art. It’s sad I can’t give you points for it.

I can’t find any similar effects for the Ability, so the wording loophole applies. I did find of minor think to nitpick, though: its species is “FlyScorpion”, not “Fly Scorpion”. HP, W/R, etc. all seem accurate for Gligar. I like the conflict between the Attack and Ability, but neither are terribly original. I do like punishing switching as opposed to simply retreating, and dealing more damage on an opponent not affected by a special condition is pretty novel.

Placement is always difficult to get absolutely correct, and I couldn’t help but notice some minor discrepancies. The Pokémon name seems to be too much to the right, the Energy symbols seem to be a bit too far to the right and most notably the distance between the weakness type and “x2” seems far too big, and “x2” and friends seem too bold. Aside from those minor things, there’s one noticeable problem: the damage font seems too big (it should be the same height as the attack name), and does not line up with the attack name.

Creativity/Originality: 16.5/20
(Fun variation of Sinkhole and novel attack.)
Wording: 14.5/15
(“Fly Scorpion”.)
(Minor placement issues, erroneous damage placement and font.)
(A bit too useful for a NFE, which is sadly not as believable as it used to be.)
Total: 43.5/50

Blui:
alomomola_cac_by_blui129-d80fdt7.png

“You have no idea how much I dislike Alomomola. no idea
I can understand this sentiment completely. But you took a horrible Pokémon and turned it into probably my favourite card this round, which I have to say is quite impressive.

I love the Ability, it’s a really nice way of balancing Rain Dance for use on a Basic Pokémon. Not making it stackable and limiting it to Water-type Pokémon probably prevents it from being broken, you seem to have done a pretty great job when it comes to balancing. The attack is great as well. It provides a great trade-off between helping your opponent’s set-up and setting up yourself. 30 damage seems fair considering your opponent gets the benefits first, although 20 would’ve been slightly more believable in my opinion. What probably impresses me most is that you’ve been able to put all this onto a BW-on card template without having to resort to small text and the likes. It’s deceptively simple, but still very original.

As for wording, there should be a comma before “you may”, and for some reason there doesn’t seem to be a space after your punctuation marks, I’m not sure what that’s about. The placements seem to be within acceptable parameters. Something which is probably far too nitpicky to deduct points for, but which you might want to pay attention to, is that the info under the image uses straight symbols for feet and inches, and not the curved ones you’re using.

Creativity/Originality: 19.5/20
(Very fun and creative take on the traditional Rain Dance, nice synergy, I love it.)
(No comma before “you may”.)
Fonts and Placement: 10/10
(Everything seems in order.)
(The standard -0.5 because I can’t believe the PCL would be awesome enough to make this card nowadays.)
Total: 48.5/50

Delta:
tumblr_nbgdinc1F41snsyxqo1_500.png

I’m not a fan of Delcatty either, so I can understand neglecting the art and I won’t blame you for it.

The card itself is pretty neat. I love the synergy between the ability and attack, and I don’t think the Pounce mechanism has ever been used before, which is a great way of earning creativity points in my book. My only gripe with it is that it might be a bit too hard to circumvent, especially if you have any kind of energy recycling and Sparkling Robe is part of the format. Forcing it to be active might help, but it would still force most decks to specifically build around it or risk auto-losing. I’m not sure how I’d fix this, though, so I won’t deduce too many points.

When it comes to wording, you forgot a comma after (before your attack) and you forgot the colon after WT in the stats, other than that I can’t find any errors.

As for placement, there are a few minor errors: the name is a bit too low and a bit too much to the right. The Energy symbols for the attack are too far to the right and damage is too far to the left. The “x” in the damage is also bolded when it shouldn’t be, and too close to the number. The attack name is too low compared to the placement of the Energy symbols. The text for everything is within acceptable parameters. Some other things worth noting are that the Skitty in the “evolves from” frame seems a bit small and doesn’t match the style of the era, and that you haven’t fixed the location of the illus. text CMP pointed out, but I don’t know CMP’s fractions, so you’re totally getting away with that.

Creativity/Originality: 19/20
(Coming up with a new mechanics is a great way of scoring high here, good job!)
Wording: 14/15
(Minor errors only.)
Fonts and Placement: 7/10
(The positions of the Pokémon name is slightly off and the different elements of the attack are all over the place.)
Believability/Playability: 3/5
(It’s a fun idea and mechanic, but I think it would need to be changed significantly before it can be applied to an actual card.)
Total: 43/50

Jeremy1026:
LR3iOi0.png

I know IA allowed you to repost this card without losing additional points because of the copyright stuff, but you did edit your original post before reposting, so I’m going to have to deduce the 2 points either way.

The first thing which comes to mind is: you do know Gengar’s not a dark-type Pokémon, right? I guess it seems dark enough to justify the weird type change, but BW-on especially tries to be as close to the games as possible, which makes this an especially weird choice. It still baffles me that 120HP is considered low for a Stage 2 nowadays, but it’s less than Butterfree so I guess you’re right.

The first attack seems innocent enough. The second attack is death incarnate. If this attack were introduces, it would without a doubt be the most broken attack in the TCG, including crazy jumbo cards like Shadow Lugia. 4 turns and a simple Forretress FL could easily remove an opponent’s bench, and if there are Pokémon-EX on your opponent’s bench would probably mean victory as well.

The placement isn’t as bad as it looks at first. The text is too far to the left, the “Evolves from” text isn’t italicised, the “x2” placement is off, the info text isn’t big enough, the damage isn’t aligned with the attack name and is too big, and the fonts in general seem wrongish.

Some wording errors: you forgot the apostrophe in “opponent’s” and the “Out” in “Knocked Out” should be capitalised.

Creativity/Originality: 15.5/20
(Fun and thematically fitting names.)
(“Opponents”, “Knock out”.)
Fonts and Placement: 6/10
(Everything’s a bit off, some pretty big errors.)
Believability/Playability: 1/5
(Wrong typing, impossibly broken attack.)
Penalty for editing: -2
Total: 34/50

PMJ & Athena:
0YCPsjh.png

Awful, truly awful. But enough about Roserade, let’s talk about the card.

I like the synergy between the Ability and the attack. The attack seems like a fun disruption attack, quite creative but nothing we wouldn’t expect from the PCL at some point. The Energy cost seems justified, allowing for this kind of disruption too soon in a match might become problematic, so PPC seems like a fine choice. I think the power creep would allow for some more damage as well. Something which doesn’t seem absolutely ridiculous at first is a rare sight to me when it comes to the current era. Kudos for sticking it to the man, I say. The power is basically a free Computer Search every turn, which considering the set-up required seems fair. Search Pokémon are sometimes hard to balance, and it’s difficult to guess their impact on a format, but I don’t think this would be either overcentalising or useless

Thematically the card does sort of confuse me, however. Quick Search previously appeared on a Pidgeot (albeit in a far superior, even game-breaking form), and seems far more fitting there. Unless I’m missing something, Roserade hardly seems like the kind of Pokémon to go looking around for something. Just changing the name might’ve helped here, something with “Aroma”. Same with the attack, which shares its name with an attack nearly all Pokémon can learn in the games. 3 cards already had an attack named “Frustration”, and in each instance it did damage to an undamaged Benched Pokémon. I understand wanting to do roughly the opposite of Return, and it wouldn’t surprise me if the PCL ended up doing roughly the same thing, but this really feels like a missed opportunity for a more creative name. It honestly feels like the effects were made before you got your Pokémon PM’ed to you, which would have been fine if you had at least changed the names a bit.

The blank seems a bit off from the official cards in certain places, which makes placement a bit hard to judge. The name seems a bit too low and the effects text a bit too far to the right, but I’m not confident enough to subtract points for this. The space between the attack and the bottom stuff seems awfully small, and looking through the cards of the era I can’t find any cards which are as close. The spacing between the Ability and the Attack is also a bit iffy. I think you should’ve gone with a smaller font size. Also, the damage font is a pixel or so too big.

Creativity/Originality: 17/20
(Creative attack and nice synergy, but not terribly original and thematically lacking.)
Wording: 15/15
(No mistakes here as far as I can tell.)
Fonts and Placement: 9/10
(Effect font seems a bit too big. Damage font too big.)
(Quick Search and Frustration strike me as odd choices, but nevertheless everything seems believable.)
Total: 46/50

professorlight:
Klang.png

Klang is exactly the reason why I’m glad I’m not participating this month. I truly feel sorry for you. I wish I could give you ugly Pokémon points.

Weakness and Resistance seem fine. The HP is 10 more than Klang usually has, but this doesn’t seem unlikely. RC also falls within acceptable parameters.

I really like giving Stage 1s some uses. I’ve always loved cards like any Porygon2 GE or Dark Kadabra (and many others), which were able to provide some back-up even when not fully evolved, something most recent Stage 1s don’t do at all. It’s always nice having a reason to put a Stage 1 in instead of just candy. I like the first Ability, it’s easy to imagine these ugly gear-things assembling to do increased damage, and it might function as an effective part of a pretty neat strategy. It is however broken beyond belief. Having just 2 increases the attack of an active gear-thing by 60, having 3 by a whole 120. And since you didn’t specify that this does damage to the Active Pokémon (see Altaria DE), this would mean a card like Klinklang PS could do an easy 200 damage and, if heads, 140 damage to a Benched Pokémon. Klinklang DE would only need 1 Energy to do a pretty neat 140 damage. Klink DE would be the ultimate attack-and-switch Pokémon. The second ability is problematic for the same reason. If you manage to get out 4 each L Pokémon does an insane 160 extra damage, at no extra Energy cost. I know Pacharichu is everyone’s new favourite killing machine, but this seems a bit much.

There’s as far as I know no precedent for 2 Abilities on one Pokémon. Abilities are not like Poké-Powers or Poké-Bodies in that they’re meant to mirror the Abilities from the games (as part of the attempt to homogenise the TCG and VG). This sadly hurts the believability as well. If you pick and era, you must adhere to that era’s rules.

As for wording, you forgot the “’s” in the second Ability, you forgot to include “(before/after applying Weakness and Resistance)” text, you’ve misspelt “Klink” and “Klinklang” and there’s an “s” too many in “Klinklangs’s”.

The blank looks great! I really like the flatter designs of a lot of the custom blanks, and this one feels like a fine addition to that list. The white Energy symbols seem unlikely, but they do look pretty neat so I’m not at all deducing points for them.
That being said, I do have a few issues with it. The HP seems a bit big, and its position compared to the Energy symbol and Pokémon name feels off. Any other card ever puts the top of the HP below the top of the Energy symbol, and most put the HP at roughly the same height as the Pokémon’s name. There seems to be a lot of whitespace around the Pokémon’s stats, reducing this whitespace and moving the HP down with it might make for a bit of a cleaner look in this respect. Just moving the HP down into the whitespace might work as well. I’d also reduce the font size of the HP a bit, it seems too big compared to the Pokémon’s name.
Another problem is the lack of anything in front of the “600” in the Pokémon’s stats. Newer cards put “No.” there and older cards a # symbol. The 600 feels rather contextless as it is now.

(I like the first Ability, which thematically fits very will with the Klink-line, but copy/pasting it for the second ability definitely cost you points.)
Wording: 11/15
(“’s”, no W/R clause, misspelt some Pokémon names and no “No.”. Seems like you didn’t really proof-read.)
Fonts and Placement: 9.5/10
(Weird position of the HP, everything else looks fine.)
(The 2 abilities thing really hurts you here, as well as the overall power of the card. I like idea, but the execution is rather problematic.)
Total: 39.5/50

3rd Place: Is a tie between bigfootaus' funky-looking Gligar, and Arcticwhite & Luispipe8's evolving Beduw SP, both earning 43.5/50 points.
2nd Place: Second place goes to everyone’s favourite Deadly Duo PMJ and Athena, whose oddly frustrated Roserade managed to earn them a very decent 46/50 points.
1st Place: First place goes to Blui, who when life gave him Alomomola managed to make some amazing Alomomolade, which earned him a very convincing 48.5/50 points.

Also, I’d like to specifically reward 3 participants for exceptional work within a more specific area:
Best concept and execution: this has to go to Blui and his very nice take on Energy acceleration.
Best design: This of course goes to aschefield101, who managed to make a very awesome-looking Tauros card with impeccable placements.
Best original mechanic: Goes to Delta, for introducing increased damage based on how long a Pokémon has remained undamaged. Though the execution could use some work, the concept is very intriguing.

Ice Arceus

#Jovimohnaeliackvid
Forum Mod
Advanced Member

Judged by Luispipe8

Text Based:

The creator of Missing No. said:
Stage 1 Yanmega HP110
TCGGrass

Evolves from Yanma

469.gif

NO.469 Ogre Darner Pokémon HT: 6'03" WT: 113.5 Ibs.

TCGWhite
Supersonic Blur 20
You may switch this Pokémon with one of your benched Pokémon. If you do, search your deck for a basic Energy and attach it to this Pokémon. Shuffle your deck afterward.

TCGGrass
TCGWhite
TCGWhite
A Chorus of Yanmega 30+
Does 30 more damage for each different type of basic Energy attached to this Pokémon. If there are more than 4 different types of basic Energy attached to this Pokémon, shuffle your hand into your deck and draw 6 cards. Your Pokémon can't use A Chorus of Yanmega during your next turn.

weakness
TCGLight
x2 resistance
TCGRock
+20
retreat
SF-none

This six-legged Pokémon is easily capable of transporting an adult in flight. The wings on its tail help it stay balanced.

Haha, oh, Feathers, you always posting so early is maybe what made you lost track of time last month... :p Let's see what you did with Yanmega:

Creativity/Originality: 20/20pts
I believe you have earned them, those are very creative and interesting effects, Fletch, nice going!

Wording: 12/15pts
First of all, you forot to capitalize "Benched" in the first attack. Secondly, there's some weird thing about the last part of the second attack: "Your Pokémon". This can either mean that this Pokémon can't use this attack next turn OR, given the context of the attack, that neither Yanmega can. If the second one is the right one, I'd rephrase it as "Each of you Pokémon", according to general wording. If not, it's simply "This Pokémon". I'm taking a point for the wording and another one for the ambiguity of the sentence. e.e Everything else seems fine, though.

Believability/Playability: 15/15pts
Balance is great, there's no way to make this card a Seismitoad counter overpowered, and it's a nice gimmicky attack that I'd be glad to see in an actual set. Nice job!

Haha, nice job doing Yanmega, Feathers, consistent work as usual. Keep an eye on those little details, ok?

Total Score: 47/50pts
The one who checked it thoroughly said:
Stage 1 Forretress HP100[M]
[sprite]204[/sprite] Evolves from Pineco

205.gif

NO.205 Bagworm Pokémon HT: 3'11" WT: 227.3 lbs.

SF-Ability
Toxic Spikes
When you play this Pokémon from you hand to evolve one of your Benched Pokémon you may discard any Stadium in play. If you do, place this Pokémon and all cards attached to it as a Stadium with this effect:
Whenever any player's Active Pokémon is Knocked Out, the new Active Pokémon, excluding [M] Pokémon, is now Poisoned. Put 1 more damage counter on Poisoned Pokémon (both yours and your opponent's) for each card attached to this Pokémon between turns.
This Pokémon stays in play when you play it. Discard this Pokémon and all cards attached to it, if another Stadium card comes into play. If another card with the same name is in play, you can't play this card.

[C][C] Rapid Spin 30
Discard any Stadium card in play.

weakness [R] x2 resistance [P] -20

retreat [C][C][C]

It is encased in a steel shell. Its peering eyes are all that can be seen of its mysterious innards.

Hm, I guess surprise about your choices can't be expressed because they were imposed to you. :p Let's see how you did with Forretress:

A Pokémon Stadium, literally, that's awesome! I don't recall any effect like those since Dusknoir Lv.X, and also a great way to implement Toxic Spikes into the TCG! Very well earned points!

Wording: 15/15pts
I see no errors on this side, moving on.

Believability/Playability: 12/15pts
I'd love to see this sort of mechanic back into the game. We got Fainting Spell back, who knows? And when it comes to balance, it's not really that easy to do so, but it can be abused. Let's say you put a Ditto with an Energy on it, a Feebas and a couple Energy in the discard and a Toxicroak-EX. Next turn, you evolve Ditto into Pineco and then Forretress, Evolve Feebas into Milotic, attach a DCE into Toxicroak, attach a tool into Forretress, use Energy Grace for 2-3 Energy onto Forretress and then use Toxic Spikes. That's 3 Pokémon+ 1 Tool + 4 Energy=8 Damage counters in-between turns of poison. 8!!! Of course, pulling that out isn't a piece of cake, but still, it has some terrible potential. Put Toxicroak or Crobat in there and you have 11-12 Damage counters for that, and almost a certain Knock Out with Crobat. In order to keep it balanced, I'd rephrase it like "When you play this Pokémon from you hand to evolve one of your Benched Pokémon you may discard any Stadium in play. If you do, discard all Energy attached to this Pokémon and place this Pokémon and all cards attached to it as a Stadium with this effect: ". That can max out the damage at 4, not being THAT broken, and it's not that easy to pull out effectively anyways.

You did an amazingly good job as usual, Squirtle. Too bad it was extremely powerful. Try to keep the power down a bit next time, ok? ;)

The guy who hates poor Hawlucha said:
[C] Hawlucha 80 HP
Keeper's Pokémon
Basic

hawlucha.gif

Ability: Fighting Spirit
Each of this Pokémon's attacks do 10 more damage for each [F] Energy attached to it.

[C] Quick Attack 20+
Flip a coin. If heads, this attack does 20 more damage.

[C][C][C] Flying Press 80
If the Defending Pokémon has [F] Weakness, this attack does 80 more damage.

Weakness: [L] Resistance: [F] Retreat: [C]
With its wings, it controls its position in the air. It likes to attack from above, a maneuver that is difficult to defend against.

Well, look at that, you got you're favorite Pokémon!! :D lol, I know you dislike it, but do I?

Creativity/Originality: 18/20pts
Nice concept overall, a nice application of Flying Press, Keeper's Pokémon is a nice touch... You could have done better than Quick Attack, though. xD But the card is still nice, I like it a lot!

Wording: 14/15pts
Everything's perfect except for one thing: In Flying Press's attack damage, you forgot to place the "+" after the 80. A little slip, but fine overall.

Believability/Playability: 14/15pts
Having 80HP, not having the Fighting support to work with and requiring 3 energy to attack is actually very balanced. It's a heavy hitter for a Basic. Maybe 60+ 60 would be better for this? Nice work on the rest, though. ;)

Haha, well, this certainly wan't your best card, Keeper. Either was you favorite, though. But hope to see you next round, so we can compete side by side. ;)

Total Score: 46/50pts
The Dancing Regigigas said:
[Basic] Nincada HP 50 [G]
nincada.gif

[Ability Valley of the Shadow of Death
Once during your turn (before your attack), If this Pokémon is your Active Pokémon, flip a coin. If heads, this Pokémon is now Knocked Out. Search your deck for a Stage 1 or Stage 2 Pokémon and put as your Active Pokémon. Shuffle your deck afterward. You can't use more than 1 Valley of the Shadow of Death Ability per turn.

[G][C] Stunning Slash 20+
Turn all of your Prize cards face up. (Those Prize cards remain face up for the rest of the game.) If Ninjask is one of your Prize cards, this attack does 20 more damage and your opponent's Active Pokémon is now confused.

Weakness: [W] x2
Resistance:
Retreat: [C]

Really creative effects here, Reggie, I gotta say. A fantastic Ability, a cool and original attack. It's just great. Nice job!

Ok, a couple things here. I'd reword your ability with edits in bold:

Once during your turn (before your attack), If this Pokémon is your Active Pokémon, you may flip a coin. If heads, this Pokémon is now Knocked Out. Search your deck for a Stage 1 or Stage 2 Pokémon and put it as your Active Pokémon. Shuffle your deck afterward. You can't use more than 1 Valley of the Shadow of Death Ability per turn.

And also, you forgot to capitalize Confused at the end of the attack. I see nothing else from that, though.

Believability/Playability: 13/15pts
Well, this card is good in terms of playability, but just can be abused a little. Sure, you can't use it more than one, but get a heads and you suddenly have a Blastoise going T1. I might put the coin flip AFTER the "sacrifice" to give it a high-risk/high-reward balance.

This card was actually very nice, Reggie! Looking forward for more of your cards! ;)

Total Score: 45/50pts
Al que le apuesto a que muy pocos entenderán esto said:
Basic - Ducklett - HP60 - [W]
ducklett.gif

NO.580 Water Bird Pokémon HT: 1'08" WT: 12.1 lbs.

[W] Rain Dance 30
During your opponent's next turn, any damage done by attacks from the Defending Pokémon is reduced by 30 (before applying Weakness and Resistance).

[W][W] Ducklett Squad 30+
Flip a coin, if heads this attack does 20 more damage, if tails this attack's base damage is 10 instead and deal 10 damage to all your opponent's benched Pokémon (Don't apply Weakness and Resistance for benched Pokémon).

Weakness: [L] (×2) Resistance: [F] (-20) Retreat: [C]
They are better at swimming than flying, and they happily eat their favorite food, peat moss, as they dive underwater

Welcome to the Contest, Eron! Let's see what you did with the ugly duckling:

I gotta say, I don't even recall seeing Rain Dance as an attack recently in the TCG. Very original concepts, Eron, nice!

Thw only wording issue I see is that you forgot to capitalize "Benched" in the attack. Everything else is perfect! :D

Believability/Playability: 13/15pts
The card is playable, yes. But, a bit over powered though. The damage output is relatively high for a low Energy in a Basic Pokémon. Maybe adding [C] to the attack costs? Also reducing Rain Dance's damage a bit could do.

Edit Penalty: -2pts

Nice first shot, Eron! I definitely see some potential on you! Keep an eye on those little things and I'm sure you'll do great next month! ;)

That Guy with a Blog said:
Stage 1 - accelgor - hp200 - grass
accelgor wuz here
c c c slash 70

g g c c c super sword 10000

weakness r

resistance evrythng

retreat 0

Accelgor is really cool.

Creativity/Originality: 35/20pts
Good HP, original.
Nice note.
Nie effectless attacks.
Wow.

Wording: -55/15pts
Lern hao too zpel. Sheez.

Believability/Playability: e/15pts
(look up "e") I thing Super Sword doens't do enough damage. Maybe 10005?

Total Score: e-20/50pts
Ha! Gotcha! xD Your entry's here:
Your Real Entry said:
Stage 1 - Accelgor - HP90 - [G]
616.png
Evolves from Shelmet
617.gif

Once during your turn (before your attack), you may discard an Item card from your hand. If you do, search your deck for an Item card, reveal it, and put it into your hand. Shuffle your deck afterward.

[G] [G] [C] Critical Hit 50+
If your opponent has an even number of cards in his or her hand, this attack does 30 more damage and switch this Pokémon with 1 of your Benched Pokémon.

Weakness: [R]X2 Resistance:

Retreat:
Having removed its heavy shell, it becomes very light and can fight with ninja-like movements.​

Haha, I doubt anyone will fall for that. :p Let's judge the real card, shall we?

Nicely earned. Inventory Toggle is an amazing effect, and Critical Hit messes with things almost not seen at all! Excellent job, Gadget!

No errors here, moving on.

I can certainly see this card being used just because it's Abilty, but not to a point of being broken. It actually reminds me of Musharna NXD, which never saw huge competitive play apart from most Accelgor decks. Nice!

Wow, Gadget, this card was amazing! Not your fake one, of course, but it's amazing! Keep up this good work, and hope to see you next month! ;)

Total Score: 50/50pts
The Weirdest Slowbro I've seen said:
[Basic] Spiritomb HP70 [D]

spiritomb.gif

(Ability) Spectral Curse
Once during your turn, you may place 3 damage counters on 1 of your opponent's Benched Pokémon. If that Pokémon gets Knocked Out, take 1 less Prize card.

[D][C] Keystone Drop 30
Flip a coin. If heads, discard an Energy attached to your opponent's Active Pokémon.

Weakness:
Resistance: [F] -20
Retreat: [C][C]
It was bound to a fissure in an odd keystone as punishment for misdeeds 500 years ago.

Great, the RNG actually threw a Spiritomb! xD Let's see how this goes:

Creativity/Originality: 16/20pts
I like this card, actually, is very creative! The only thing is that it's not quite there. The Ability is nice, but could be better. And Keystone Drop(gotta admit, great name, though) is not very creative. Think outside the box, alright?

Nothing wrong with wording, let's continue...

Even though the card is pretty balanced, it can be a perfect combo with Blaziken FFI. Placing those damage counters before doing damage almost ensures a OHKO on everything. But seeing this is a very specific combo and can't be abused by a lot of other stuff, it doens't deserve a severe deduction. I mean, the only way you can abuse this is playing 4 of it and using something like Lysandre/Catcher to finish it, and you can't always do that. Bottom line, nice balance!

Nice job this month, Steffenka! Hopefully you can do even better next month! ;)

A Camouflaged Clone said:
[Ace Spec]

[Basic] Flygon EX HP170 [Dragon]

flygon.gif

[None] Sand Stream 20
Attach a [F] Energy card from your discard pile to 1 of your Benched Pokémon.

[F][F] Fissure 180
Flip 2 coins. If either of them is tails, this attack does nothing.

Weakness: [W] x2
Resistance: [F] -20
Retreat: [C]

[When a Pokémon-EX has been Knocked Out, your opponent takes 2 Prize cards.]
[You can't have more than 1 ACE SPEC card in your deck.]

Haha, RNG certainly loves certain people. Including you! :D Let's see what you did:

A Pokémon ACE SPEC! That's certainly nice! Sand Stream is basically Landorus FFI's attack, but Fissure is very nice. Liking this card, Camo!

Perfect wording, nothing to see here...

I know that the intention of making this Poké an ACE SPEC was so it couldn't be abused and you had a 10% chance of prizing it. However, Sand Stream for no Energy IS somewhat powerful. But since this is, as I said, an ACE SPEC, you can't use more than one easily and won't always start with it. Nicely done!

Haha, I think ACE SPEC Pokés would have been a nice thing sometime. Let's hope TPCi actually does something like this in the future. Keep up the good work, Camo! :D

The coolest looking Scyther I've seen said:
Chansey / HP100 [C]
Basic
Chansey_CAC_resize.png

No. 113 Egg Pokémon HT: 3' 7'' WT: 76.3 lbs.

Ability// Helping Hand
Once during your turn (before your attack), you may flip a coin. If heads, the attacks of your Active Pokémon do 30 more damage to your opponent's Active Pokémon (before applying Weakness and Resistance). You can't use more than 1 Helping Hand Ability each turn.

[C][C][C] Use Egg Bombs Wisely!
Choose a Pokémon in play. You may either do 70 damage to that Pokémon or heal 70 damage from that Pokémon (don't apply Weakness and Resistance to Benched Pokémon). Discard 2 Energy attached to this Pokémon.

weakness /// resistance
[F] x2
retreat cost
[C][C][C]

It lays several eggs a day and won't share them with those who have evil in their hearts.
Illus. 9Tailz

I gotta say, I love the fact that you make an illustration for your card. Looks pretty nice! But on the actual card:

"Use Egg Bombs Wisely". I think this beats "Everyone Explode Now" for just a bit. :p Fantastic effects you used here, very original. Nice job!

Wow, everyone polished out their wording this month... Let's proceed.

Well, considering the facts that Helping Hand is not stackable, that the attack IS an attack(ends your turn) and it's a 100HP Basic weak to Fighting... this card is actually very nice! :D

Wow, Tailz, amazing work this month! Keep up the good work, and congrats! ;)

My Avatar Bro said:
[Basic] Meloetta HP 80 [psychic]
meloetta.gif

The melodies sung by Meloetta have the power to make Pokémon that hear them happy or sad.
[Ability] Pretty Look
When this Pokemon is knocked out, your opponent flips a coin. If tails your opponent does not take a prize card.
[p] Wild Dancing 10+
If you have more energy attached to this Pokemon than your opponent's Active Pokemon, this attack does 50 more damage.
Weakness [p] x2 Resistence [] Retreat [c]

Haha, a Meloetta... One of the RNG's favorites. xD Let's see:

Gotta sat, the effects are in fact very nice, Blank! Some very creative effects! Nice!

Wording: 10/15pts
Ok, I think it's easier to C/P your text and correct it in bold:
[Ability] Pretty Look
If this Pokemon is Knocked Out, your opponent flips a coin. If tails, your opponent does not take any Prize cards.
[p] Wild Dancing 10+
If this Pokémon has more Energy attached to it than your opponent's Active Pokemon, this attack does 50 more damage.
Those are little details you need to take care of.

This card is not over powered, but it can be abused as a Mewtwo counter. it OHKO's it with a Silver Bangle, or with Muscle Band and HypnoBank. It's mainly it's only use, though. The Ability is also a nice gimmick, but not broken.

I know you had good ideas with this, Blank, just take care of those little things and you'll do great! ;)

Total Score: 44/50pts
The one that shouldn't have been underestimated said:
Manaphy HP 80 [W]

Ability: Release The Flood
Once during your turn (before your attack), if this Pokémon is your active Pokémon you may discard 10 [W] Energy in play. If you do, draw 3 Prize cards.

[W] Tail Glow 10
You may attach 3 Energy cards from your hand each turn for the rest of the game. Your active Pokémon's attacks do 70 less damage for the rest of the game. For the rest of the game each of your Pokémon in play, each of your Pokémon in your hand, and each of your Pokémon in your discard pile has no Abilitys.

Weakness: [G] Resistance: Reatreat: [C]

When awakened from the sea floor, this Pokémon can wield great power at a great cost.

Another legendary! Let's see if it's worthy of it's title.

That's certainly not what I thought you'll do with Tail Glow! Excellent way of making that effect. The Ability is also nice, I haven't seen that being used already, so kudos!

Wording: 11/15pts
First of all, you forgot to capitalize "Active"! D: And you also forgot a comma after "Active Pokémon" in the Ability. And also, in the attack, it would say "each of your Pokémon in play, in your hand, and in your discard pile has no Abilities.", also fixing that little typo.

Believability/Playability: 12/15pts
Well, tihs card can be abused in a couple of ways:
a) Not using Tail Glow and using Blastoise to "flood" Energy, grabbing your prizes anytime starting T2.
b) Using Tail Glow and assuring 3 Prizes after a couple of turns.

Both assuming a heavy count of Professor's Letter and (Superior) Energy Retrieval, combined with Lysandre's Last Resort. Still, it's an herculean task to do, so not docking that many points. It's still a bit over-powered, though.

Well, Lugia, you pummeled down from last round. I want to see the Lugia from August and better next month, ok? ;) Know you can do it.

Total Score: 43/50pts
Destroyer of Time said:
STAGE 2 || Ampharos || HP120 || [L]
Evolves from Flaaffy

181.gif

NO. 181 Light Pokémon HT: 4'07" WT: 135.6 lbs.

[Ability] Prioritize
Once during your turn (before your attack), you may discard up to 3 Item cards from your hand.

[L][L][L] Bolt Magnet - 50
You may search your deck for a Special Energy card and attach it to 1 of your Benched Pokémon. Put 2 damage counters on that Pokémon.

Weakness: [F] x2
Resistance:
Retreat: [C][C]
The tip of its tail shines brightly and can be seen from far away. It acts as a beacon for lost people.

Ampharos, nice! Let's see what this fella has to offer:

I still don't see the point of those attacks, but I'll get to it later. They're pretty original, though, I have to say that! Nice job here!

The only thing wrong here is that you forgot the "Shuffle your deck afterward" clause after Bolt Magnet, Nothing else from it, though!

This card... Well, not the card, The Ability... it's just... weird. I mean, the cases where you benefit from having a certain Item card in your discard pile are extremely scarce. That said, I also think that Bolt Magnet is very nice. Provides Special Energy acceleration from the deck, but at the cost of it being a Stage 2 card that needs 3 [L] to attack, so that's where the balance's at. Nailed it! :D

Amazing work this month, Momaster, this card was very good. Keep up that excellent work! ;)

Total Score: 49/50pts
The weird said:
BASIC Axew HP60 [N]
Axew_XY.gif

NO. 610 Tusk Pokémon HT: 2'00" WT: 39.7 lbs
/Ability/ Dragon See, Dragon Do
This Pokémon can use the attacks of any Axew, Fraxure, and Haxorus in play (both yours and your opponent's). (You still need the necessary Energy to use each attack.)
/Ability/ Energy Assist
As often as you like during your turn (before your attack), you may move a basic Energy attached to 1 of your Haxorus to this Pokémon.
weakness [Y]x2 resistance
retreat [C]
Its large tusks have a tendency to break, but each time they grow back, they grow in harder and sturdier.

Nice, you made a nice Axew! Let's see how this goes:

Some very nice Abilities here, 'tuff! Although we have seen those on another way, they're still pretty good! Nicely done!

Everything's fine, let's proceed...

Well, you pretty much said everything in your post. Putting all your eggs in one basket is one thing, but putting them in a very small one is way riskier. That's mainly the reason cards like Carbink FLF haven't seen a lot of play, because they're glass cannons. That's pretty much Axew's case here, so, a nice balance here. Good job!

It was a pretty good work this month, 'tuff, keep it up! ;)

Total Score: 48/50pts
Who Brought YPPY Back to PB said:
Basic Delibird HP80
20px-Water-attack.png

Delibird_XY.gif

NO. 225 Deilvery Pokémon HT: 2'11" WT: 35.3 Ibs.

TCGAbilityIcon.png
Present
Once during your turn (before your attack) you may Knock Out this Pokémon. If you do, your turn ends. Then, during your next turn, you may take an additional Prize card for each of your opponent’s Pokémon that you Knock Out during that turn.

20px-Colorless-attack.png
Food Fight! 10+
If your opponent has less than six Prize cards remaining, this attack does 40 more damage.

weakness
20px-Metal-attack.png
x2 resistance
20px-Grass-attack.png
retreat

It always carries its food with it, wherever it goes. If attacked, it throws its food at the opponent.​

See, Ice Espeon, I gifted you Delibird! *bad joke over* Haha, let's see how this goes:

Food Fight!!!!!! xD That made my day! This, on top of the amazingly good effects you wrote, give you an amazing and creative touch. Great job!

As a tiny detail as it sounds, you forgot a comma after "(before your attack)", so I have to dock a point there... Also, I'm pretty sure that the Ability's effect could be worded slightly different, for since I can't find any recent reference, you can get away with it. That, or consider it's half a point for the comma and half a point for the Attack. ;o

TBH, the only way I can think of this card being insanely over powered is in combination with Lugia-EX, but it'll require both a perfect set-up to take those 2 prizes and making sure your Lugia isn't going to be knocked out after you use Present. And if you don't do it, you waste a Prize card for that if you don't have a secured KO for the next turn. I think it's a nice high risk/high reward card, I like it! :D

This card was actually very nice, IE, can't wait to see more of your creations! :D

Total Score: 48/50pts
Just a Bro said:
Stage 1 Zebstrika HP120[L]
[sprite]522[/sprite]evolves from Blitzle

523.gif

NO.205 Thunderbolt Pokémon HT: 5'03" WT: 175.3 lbs..

SF-Ability
If you have 4 or more [L] pokemon in play then all attacks by Zebstrika requires no energy.

[L] Charge
Attach a Lighting Energy from your discard to one of your pokemon

[L] [L] [C] Thunder 120
weakness [F] x2 Resistance

retreat [C][C]

When this ill-tempered Pokémon runs wild, it shoots lightning from its mane in all directions.

Ok, Muffin, your first timer as well! Let's see:

Creativity/Originality: 14/20pts
Well, I have to say, the only thing that stands out about the card is the Ability. Apart from that, those are very standard and already used effects (specially because Thunder has none. e.e).

Wording: 6/15pts
Geez, first of all, your Ability has no name! xD A couple points from there. And also, I'll reword your Ability and attack as follows:
SF-Ability
NAME
If you have 4 or more [L] Pokémon in play,, ignore all Energy requirements for each of this Pokémon's attacks.

[L] Charge
Attach a Lighting Energy from your discard pile to one of your Pokémon.

Yeah, keep an eye on those little things.

Believability/Playability: 11/15pts
Well, given this card has both Energy acceleration and Energy-less attacks if you have a lot of [L] Pokémon in play (which isn't hard to do), this card is very over powered, specially because it could do 120 damage every turn with no drawback whatsoever.

Well, given it's your first time, just take notes from what I pointed to you and also the others so next month you can do way better, ok? ;) Don't give up! :D

Total Score: 31/50pts
The new Roserade in The Beach said:
Stage 1 Hariyama [F] HP120
Evolves from Makuhita

hariyama.gif

NO. 297 Arm Thrust Pokémon HT: 7'07" WT: 559.5 lbs.
[F] [C] Straight-Arm Punch x40
Flip 2 coins with an outstretched arm. This attack does 40 damage times the number of heads.

[F] [F] [C] [C] Shot Put 100
If the weight of the Defending Pokémon is 220lbs or more, this attack's base damage is 50. (The weight of a Pokémon that doesn't have the weight printed on the card is 0lbs.)

weakness
[P] x2 resistance
retreat [C] [C] [C]
It stomps on the ground to build power. It can send a 10-ton truck flying with a straight-arm punch.

Haha, yeah, I knew when my friend dropped it wouldn't be long until someone took it's place. xD Let's see it you did good:

"Flip a coin with an outstretched arm". Now that's being original! xD It's a pretty nice concept, ninjas, I gotta give you that! And Shot Put's effect is very nice too, so nice job! :D

Let's keep going, nothing to see here...

Wow, this card is actually very balanced! I mean, sure, you can hit EX's for 100 constantly, but it takes forever to set up and it's an evolution to top that off. But I DO find it a bit hard to believe that such a concept like that coin flip would be implemented. I mean, it's like saying, roll a dice with your eyes closed and such. And following the rules strictly, you ARE supposed to throw the coin with an stretched arm anyways, so... yeah, just a point there.

Wow, ninjas, this card was actually very good! Glad you made it into the Contest, can't wait to see more of you're stuff! :D

Total Score: 49/50pts
The Champion with a Machamp said:
STAGE 1 / Tentacruel // HP90 [W]
tentacool.png
Evolves from Tentacool
tentacruel.gif

NO. 073 Jellyfish Pokémon HT: 5'03" WT: 121.3 lbs.

[Ability] Weakening Poison
Prevent all damage done to this Pokémon by attacks from your opponent's Poisoned Pokémon.

[W] Devolution Ink 50
Your opponent's Active Pokémon is now Poisoned. Flip a coin. If tails, devolve this Pokémon and put the highest Stage Evolution card on it into your hand.

weakness [G] X2
resistance
retreat [C]

In battle, it extends all 80 of its tentacles to entrap its opponent inside a poisonous net.​

Nice, a Tentacruel! You gotta admit, not all of the RNG's choices were bad... xD Let's see:

Very nice effects, I haven't really seen an Ability like that before, or an attack that actually devolved yourself. At least not in the last format. So, yeah, points well earned! ;)

Moving on, you're clear.

At first, you might say the card is broken because you won't be able to touch it. However, if you're actually devolved, you're not only vulnerable to attacks, but also with less HP thanks to Tentacool! So, it's sort of a double-edged Agility attack, which is nice! Good job!

Gotta admit, Machamp,, you've been a consistent faker for a while now, so I'm not surprised you got another amazing score. Keep it up, and congrats! :D

The pro-crastinator of the month said:
[Stage 1] - Name - HP60 - (Y)
Evolves from Spritzee

aromatisse.gif

NO. 683 Fragrance Pokémon HT: 2'07" WT: 34.2 lbs.

Ability: Ooh, That Smell!
Once during your turn (before your attack), you may discard a (Y) Energy from your hand. If you do, search your deck for a Supporter card and put it into your hand.

(Y)[C] Fairy Heal
Put 3 basic (Y) Energy cards from your discard pile into your hand.

weakness - (M) x2
resistance - (D) -20
retreat - [C][C]
This fanciful Pokémon was known to be the assistant to old time plague doctors and made the room smell great wherever it went.
CaC​

So, again the last poster of the month... xD Let's see how you did:

These effects are actually pretty nice, ATA. Not actually seen recently and very original, so, way to go! :D

First of all... Amazing Poké name. *not* xD A couple points there, and also another one for forgetting the "Shuffle your deck afterward" clause after the Ability.

Well, this card can be a nice alternative to Jirachi in Fairy decks, it's not bad at all! It's effect still requires an energy attachment, so it's not like it's easy to accomplish either, so nicely done!

It was a good card, ATA. Maybe if you had a bit more time you could have spotted those little details. xD See you next month!

So, now that the round is finally over, I'm happy to announce that we have 3 winners on the Text-Based side! Give it up for GadgetGax, 9Tailz and Machamp The Champion, all earning 1st Place with a perfect 50/50 points! Congratulations! Also worth noticing that Momaster12 and bbninjas came up close enough with 49 points!

It was a nice month for you guys, I hope participation for next round keeps growing even more! The best of luck next month, since Heavenly Spoon is taking care of Text-Based this time! May God have mercy on our souls...

PMJ

happy thoughts
Forum Head
Articles Head
Elite Member
Advanced Member
RE: PokéBeach Create-A-Card: Sept. 2014 - Random *RESULTS*

notbad.jpg

gg all, see you guys next round

Athena

The Cooler Danchou
Advanced Member

And here I was terrified when HS said how strict he was being. :p

*^5 PMJ*

Blui

lv85 paladin

gg y'all.

I'm just gonna reply to the review because why not :p

“You have no idea how much I dislike Alomomola. no idea”
I can understand this sentiment completely. But you took a horrible Pokémon and turned it into probably my favourite card this round, which I have to say is quite impressive.

I love the Ability, it’s a really nice way of balancing Rain Dance for use on a Basic Pokémon. Not making it stackable and limiting it to Water-type Pokémon probably prevents it from being broken, you seem to have done a pretty great job when it comes to balancing. The attack is great as well. It provides a great trade-off between helping your opponent’s set-up and setting up yourself. 30 damage seems fair considering your opponent gets the benefits first, although 20 would’ve been slightly more believable in my opinion.

As I said in another post it was 20, but knowing PCL it'd probably be 30, hell, they could pull a Babyquaza and make it 40

What probably impresses me most is that you’ve been able to put all this onto a BW-on card template without having to resort to small text and the likes. It’s deceptively simple, but still very original.

Well, the text is smaller by 1pt than what it normally is. But yeah, I had some serious problems squeezing it all in, mostly with me wanting 4 lines for the attack, but these blanks only allow for 7 max. :(

As for wording, there should be a comma before “you may”, and for some reason there doesn’t seem to be a space after your punctuation marks, I’m not sure what that’s about. The placements seem to be within acceptable parameters.

Damn I missed that comma. I proof read it so many times because it was hard to get right (you should see all the references I had to use for it). As for the spaces, they are there, but Gill Sans is a bit weird with spaces at smaller sizes (it may also have to do with the width changes, idk). Thanks for pointing that out though, I'll try to fix it in the future :)

Something which is probably far too nitpicky to deduct points for, but which you might want to pay attention to, is that the info under the image uses straight symbols for feet and inches, and not the curved ones you’re using.

I was using a different font than what I've used in the past because computer problems and such, I didn't even notice D:

But yeah thanks for the victory, it was great to come back and do well. Hopefully I can do the same next month! And oh man, HS you didn't lie when you said you were going to be strict.

Delta

Selling colourful Pokemon to Celadon Game Corner

Shoot. A comma and colon away from top 3. I'll take best original mechanic as something though. Great job Blui! I'll have to study placements extra hard next time.

GadgetJax

Traveling Storyteller and Card Faker

I now regret every time I insulted Luispip8. (I'm still going to joke about him, tho)

Wow, tying for 1st place is really fantastic! And yes, I guess I am "That Guy With A Blog".

Wait, what did you call Eron?

aschefield101

is behind you !

Thus my last ever entry, I won't be bothering again.

Luispipe8

Pokémon Professor

GadgetJax said:
Wait, what did you call Eron?

"The one I bet to that no one would understand this"
Mission accomplished. :D And well, I'm actually pleased with my results! Thank you, Arctic, for letting me work with you, and Spoon, for your work! See you guys next month! Also, comments about judging are welcome.

professorlight

Ice Queen

I think I'll do as blui did.

Quote: Heavenly spoon
Klang.png

Klang is exactly the reason why I’m glad I’m not participating this month. I truly feel sorry for you. I wish I could give you ugly Pokémon points.

I wish that too. Klang.

Weakness and Resistance seem fine. The HP is 10 more than Klang usually has, but this doesn’t seem unlikely. RC also falls within acceptable parameters.

I really like giving Stage 1s some uses. I’ve always loved cards like any Porygon2 GE or Dark Kadabra (and many others), which were able to provide some back-up even when not fully evolved, something most recent Stage 1s don’t do at all. It’s always nice having a reason to put a Stage 1 in instead of just candy. I like the first Ability, it’s easy to imagine these ugly gear-things assembling to do increased damage, and it might function as an effective part of a pretty neat strategy. It is however broken beyond belief. Having just 2 increases the attack of an active gear-thing by 60, having 3 by a whole 120. And since you didn’t specify that this does damage to the Active Pokémon (see Altaria DE), this would mean a card like Klinklang PS could do an easy 200 damage and, if heads, 140 damage to a Benched Pokémon. Klinklang DE would only need 1 Energy to do a pretty neat 140 damage. Klink DE would be the ultimate attack-and-switch Pokémon. The second ability is problematic for the same reason. If you manage to get out 4 each L Pokémon does an insane 160 extra damage, at no extra Energy cost. I know Pacharichu is everyone’s new favourite killing machine, but this seems a bit much.

The useful stage1 pokemon was my reasoning for the powers; but now that you point it out, how do I clarify that only active/benched pokemon count? as in, the klink and klang that evolved do not count for the power, I was aiming to adding 50 damage at most, and although I never took into account the base power in the attacking cards. And I never made it unstackable. That was a mistake.

There’s as far as I know no precedent for 2 Abilities on one Pokémon. Abilities are not like Poké-Powers or Poké-Bodies in that they’re meant to mirror the Abilities from the games (as part of the attempt to homogenise the TCG and VG). This sadly hurts the believability as well. If you pick and era, you must adhere to that era’s rules.

I know; had them be poke-powers I would have been good.
I actually made both abilities because both made perfect sense and I couldn't think of an attack for it; also, I slightly dislike the line, in case you hadn't noticed, so I didn't bother with it.But yes, two abilities is odd.

As for wording, you forgot the “’s” in the second Ability, you forgot to include “(before/after applying Weakness and Resistance)” text, you’ve misspelt “Klink” and “Klinklang” and there’s an “s” too many in “Klinklangs’s”.

Yeah, I looked them up, and I still misspelt the names.
That's the kling line for you. Or however they're spelt.

The blank looks great! I really like the flatter designs of a lot of the custom blanks, and this one feels like a fine addition to that list. The white Energy symbols seem unlikely, but they do look pretty neat so I’m not at all deducing points for them.

Thanks! with the energies I was going to a simpler, glass-like, more symbolic energies, instead of the volumetric effect real cards use. The white is there for contrast and to light up the card.

That being said, I do have a few issues with it. The HP seems a bit big, and its position compared to the Energy symbol and Pokémon name feels off. Any other card ever puts the top of the HP below the top of the Energy symbol, and most put the HP at roughly the same height as the Pokémon’s name.

HP, name and energy symbol end at the same top line; it was a complex process to line up all those and get what I wanted, but I like the result.

There seems to be a lot of whitespace around the Pokémon’s stats, reducing this whitespace and moving the HP down with it might make for a bit of a cleaner look in this respect. Just moving the HP down into the whitespace might work as well. I’d also reduce the font size of the HP a bit, it seems too big compared to the Pokémon’s name.

The whitespace is there to act as a buff for longer species; this time, however, I got "Gear", instead of, say, "FlyScorpion", or "Sternocleidomastoideus".
The HP font is purposely big because I thought that HP was an important feature of the card, so it was okay to make it as large as the name, to balance the name's black. One is the origin of the card's theme, and the other, the origin of the card's technical playing data.

Another problem is the lack of anything in front of the “600” in the Pokémon’s stats. Newer cards put “No.” there and older cards a # symbol. The 600 feels rather contextless as it is now.

That's something I'll have to change.

(I like the first Ability, which thematically fits very will with the Klink-line, but copy/pasting it for the second ability definitely cost you points.)
Wording: 11/15
(“’s”, no W/R clause, misspelt some Pokémon names and no “No.”. Seems like you didn’t really proof-read.)
Fonts and Placement: 9.5/10
(Weird position of the HP, everything else looks fine.)
(The 2 abilities thing really hurts you here, as well as the overall power of the card. I like idea, but the execution is rather problematic.)
Total: 39.5/50

No problems here, but ouch. I never do good in CAC.

9Tailz

the human embodiment of garbodor

Wow, I tied for first place! I'm surprised my entry did so well. Congratulations to the other winners, and good luck to everyone participating in the next CAC!

Scorched Feathers

Aspiring Trainer

heh luis made a wording error when giving me wording advice
congrats to the winners!

Heavenly Spoon

Back???
Advanced Member

As promised, here's Zygarde's review. It's the saddest thing.

Zygarde:
malamarcoacutepia_zps339700b4.png

First things first: you forgot to add a prevo image. I guess I have to deduce points somewhere for this, so placement it is. Other placement errors: the name seems to be a few pixels too low, the damage font should be a pixel bigger downwards, so that it lines up with the attack name, the minus sign in the resistance is too small (you’re using a simple hyphen), and the Pokédex entry is a few pixels too far to the right. You’re also using curved feet and inches symbols, these should be straight (hoorah for nitpicking!). This is all pretty minor, though, great job.

The wording on the power feels wrong, I’d have worded it like this: “[…] you may choose 1 of your opponent’s Benched Pokémon. That Pokémon is [now] his or her new Active Pokémon […]”. Either way it feels off. Technically you can claim the new effect loophole is in effect, but I can’t help but feel it would’ve been worded differently. Everything else seems fine.

I really like the power. It gives the player a great tactical advantage, and I’m fairly certain it hasn’t been done before. This is one of those cases where I wish I had come up with it myself, and if me judging this card wouldn’t make it far too obvious I’d probably inconspicuously steal it. :p
The attack is pretty standard, but I can see it working really well in synergy with the power. It’s always fun to see standard effects being used in a creative context.

The choice for a x2 resistance is weird considering the era, but I guess it’s not out of the question.

Creativity/Originality: 19/20
(Novel power, very creative synergy.)
(-0.5 for iffiness.)
(Missing prevo, other minor errors.)
(Except for the obvious temporal discrepancy, it seems really believable.)
Total: 46.5/50

So yeah, you would've been second, even with the missing prevo.

I'm not going to reply to every reply to the review, I hope you don't mind. Feel free to do these, though, as this was my first time judging and some feedback would certainly be appreciated. I'm glad I'm being considered fair and not getting lynched, though. :D
Overall I was impressed with how well you guys did considering the Pokémon you got. I really wanted to do the 3 extra awards because a few of you missed out on the top 3 while still doing amazingly well in a specific category.

Also, I'll be judging text-based next month. Don't expect a 3-way perfect score tie from me, I'm probably going to be even more strict when it comes to creativity. Give me your best!

Ice Arceus

#Jovimohnaeliackvid
Forum Mod
Advanced Member

Metal Gear BIDOOF said:

There will be a round this month. It's usually up within the first few days of the month.

Fan Voting: https://docs.google.com/forms/d/1h934G9FRuf0_sKsGri8OHhluQvUyPf_WRppaxFmY3SE/viewform?usp=send_form

Ends: 10/5 (don't worry. Next round will be up by then. =P)

Reggie McGigas

-

I feel really embarrassed now :p It's been like 17 or so months and no win :p

Machamp The Champion

TCG Articles Head

Thank you Luis! I really appreciate it! I'm surprised you didn't think of pairing it with Gengar EX. That was one of the main ways I was thinking of running it. Of course, it wouldn't be invincible from everything, since they can just switch/retreat/Virizion out of the Poison.

Congratulations to all the winners of Text and Image-based this month, as well as everyone else! You all had very creative entries this month, as usual. See you all next month!

Momaster12

The Temporal Destroyer

A lot better than last month! =D Cya for the next CaC y'all!

NameBlank

The Divine Paradise

Luis, you gave me a 10/15 for Wording, but you made a spelling bloop yourself!
Gotta sat, the effects are in fact very nice, Blank! Some very creative effects! Nice!
hehehe