PokéBeach Create-A-Card: Sept. 2014 - Random *Congrats to the Winners*

RE: PokéBeach Create-A-Card: Sept. 2014 - Random *RESULTS*

Great job everyone! I knew the straight-armed punch would dock points... but I couldn't resist! Haha! XD
I'll make it more realistic next time ;)

Heavenly Spoon said:
As promised, here's Zygarde's review. It's the saddest thing.

Zygarde:
malamarcoacutepia_zps339700b4.png

First things first: you forgot to add a prevo image. I guess I have to deduce points somewhere for this, so placement it is. Other placement errors: the name seems to be a few pixels too low, the damage font should be a pixel bigger downwards, so that it lines up with the attack name, the minus sign in the resistance is too small (you’re using a simple hyphen), and the Pokédex entry is a few pixels too far to the right. You’re also using curved feet and inches symbols, these should be straight (hoorah for nitpicking!). This is all pretty minor, though, great job.

The wording on the power feels wrong, I’d have worded it like this: “[…] you may choose 1 of your opponent’s Benched Pokémon. That Pokémon is [now] his or her new Active Pokémon […]”. Either way it feels off. Technically you can claim the new effect loophole is in effect, but I can’t help but feel it would’ve been worded differently. Everything else seems fine.

I really like the power. It gives the player a great tactical advantage, and I’m fairly certain it hasn’t been done before. This is one of those cases where I wish I had come up with it myself, and if me judging this card wouldn’t make it far too obvious I’d probably inconspicuously steal it. :p
The attack is pretty standard, but I can see it working really well in synergy with the power. It’s always fun to see standard effects being used in a creative context.

The choice for a x2 resistance is weird considering the era, but I guess it’s not out of the question.

Creativity/Originality: 19/20
(Novel power, very creative synergy.)
Wording: 14.5/15
(-0.5 for iffiness.)
Fonts and Placement: 8/10
(Missing prevo, other minor errors.)
Believability/Playability: 5/5
(Except for the obvious temporal discrepancy, it seems really believable.)
Total: 46.5/50

So yeah, you would've been second, even with the missing prevo.

I'm not going to reply to every reply to the review, I hope you don't mind. Feel free to do these, though, as this was my first time judging and some feedback would certainly be appreciated. I'm glad I'm being considered fair and not getting lynched, though. :D
Overall I was impressed with how well you guys did considering the Pokémon you got. I really wanted to do the 3 extra awards because a few of you missed out on the top 3 while still doing amazingly well in a specific category.

Also, I'll be judging text-based next month. Don't expect a 3-way perfect score tie from me, I'm probably going to be even more strict when it comes to creativity. Give me your best!

Hmmm... I don't think you were too open to new mechanics such as SP evolving and two abilities, which actually occurred in SF 33 (Budew). I think that it is important that we try and make new ideas, or bring back old ones, not have them suppressed so we don't lose points for believability/playability. Other than that, :D

Woo! Congratulations everyone, we all survived even with random Pokemon!
Overall I'm happy with Heavenly Spoon's judging, but I'm still gonna do a response anyway:
Lovely use of poison markers in the art. It’s sad I can’t give you points for it.
Thanks! I always figured that Creativity in the Creativity/Originality section would be where points for artwork goes though.
I did find of minor think to nitpick, though: its species is “FlyScorpion”, not “Fly Scorpion”.
I know I know, but when TPCi does something dumb like that I tend to ignore it. Your judgement here is accurate, but don't expect me to change this type of thing in future cards.
A bit too useful for a NFE
As sad as this is... yeah... you're right.

The rest of my judgement seems fine, I think HS is a good judge!

I'm looking forward to next month's Create-A-Card! ^_^

So close to winning that I can SMELL it

I guess I tied for 3rd place though *shrug*

bigfootaus said:
I know I know, but when TPCi does something dumb like that I tend to ignore it. Your judgement here is accurate, but don't expect me to change this type of thing in future cards.

Can I just wholeheartedly agree with this, and include it in my future card explanations?
I'll make a disclaimer saying "such and such is like this because TPCi is stupid so I don't care".

So, eh... The fact that one pokemon hasn't had two abilities so far is stupid, because TPCi is stupid.
That's why I should get believability points.

And creativity points!
Yes. All of them. All of the creativity points. Because I'm so creative.
You can, however, still dock me points for repeating the ability; it made sense, yes, but it was also lazy of me because I didn't care.

So, do I win now?

professorlight said:
bigfootaus said:

Can I just wholeheartedly agree with this, and include it in my future card explanations?
I'll make a disclaimer saying "such and such is like this because TPCi is stupid so I don't care".

So, eh... The fact that one pokemon hasn't had two abilities so far is stupid, because TPCi is stupid.

And creativity points!
You can, however, still dock me points for repeating the ability; it made sense, yes, but it was also lazy of me because I didn't care.

So, do I win now?
I think a 90HP klang is a bit high in HP! But yeah, TCGi has made a two ability pokemon before named budew! Go Budew!

Scorched Feathers said:
heh luis made a wording error when giving me wording advice
congrats to the winners!

About those mistakes:
a) I am 99% sure I sent it to Arctic as a Poké-POWER. It could have been either me or her, so I'll take that.
b) The attack was supposed to be [P][C] instead, that was how I sent it :p Was also meant to be a [P] Budew, but liked the result how it ended.
Still like the card, though, it was fun seeing one of my spoilers as an actual card! :D

Reggie McGigas said:
I feel really embarrassed now :p It's been like 17 or so months and no win :p
Don't be like that, I can bet that you'll do it eventually. ;)

Machamp The Champion said:
Thank you Luis! I really appreciate it! I'm surprised you didn't think of pairing it with Gengar EX. That was one of the main ways I was thinking of running it. Of course, it wouldn't be invincible from everything, since they can just switch/retreat/Virizion out of the Poison.

Congratulations to all the winners of Text and Image-based this month, as well as everyone else! You all had very creative entries this month, as usual. See you all next month!
Wow, I certainly didn't saw that combo. Is nice, but it's still like using Dragalge: Keldeo or Switch and you can now attack, so it's not really relevant.

NameBlank said:
Luis, you gave me a 10/15 for Wording, but you made a spelling bloop yourself!
Creativity/Originality: 20/20pts
Gotta sat, the effects are in fact very nice, Blank! Some very creative effects! Nice!
hehehe

Check your keyboard, I bet $10 that the "t" is right next to the "y". :p

professorlight said:

And creativity points!

So, do I win now?
Welp, I'm convinced, here's your trophy!

I did really like the ability you gave Klang. I hate that Pokémon with a passion, but if it had a similar effect in the TCG I actually wouldn't mind it existing. As for wording, it would be something like "Each of your Klink, Klang, and Klinklang's attacks do 10 more damage for each Kling, Klang, or Klinklang (excluding this one) you have in play. You can't apply more than 1 Assembly Ability at a time."

bigfootaus said:
I know the FlyScorpion thing is nitpicking. I've handed in a card with length and weight in metres and kilograms before, and have happily taken the half a point deduction. Standing up for your ideals would be easy if it were costless, but some things really are worth losing a few points for! Things like moving away from archaic units of measurement or fixing things based on old character restrictions, for example.

bbninjas said:
Hmmm... I don't think you were too open to new mechanics such as SP evolving and two abilities, which actually occurred in SF 33 (Budew).
I tried to be stricter with creativity to allow for more wiggle room when it comes to believability, but I still think creativity has to work within the rules set out by the TCG. Being creative within an established set of restrictions is far more challenging than being creative by simply neglecting those restrictions, which is why doing so would earn you slightly more points. Blui's and Zygarde's (pseudo-)entries are fine examples of being very creative within the rules laid out by the TCG.

As for the specific points, I only deduced 0.5 points for the evolving SP, and specifically mentioned I didn't think it was that unbelievable. And the Budew you mentioned has a Poké-Powers and a Poké-Body, it predates the BW-on insistence that the TCG mirror the VG as much as possible. I specifically mention this in the review. If you pick an era, you have to follow that era's rules, or lose at least a few halfpoints.

Heavenly Spoon said:
bbninjas said:
Hmmm... I don't think you were too open to new mechanics such as SP evolving and two abilities, which actually occurred in SF 33 (Budew).
I tried to be stricter with creativity to allow for more wiggle room when it comes to believability, but I still think creativity has to work within the rules set out by the TCG. Being creative within an established set of restrictions is far more challenging than being creative by simply neglecting those restrictions, which is why doing so would earn you slightly more points. Blui's and Zygarde's (pseudo-)entries are fine examples of being very creative within the rules laid out by the TCG.

As for the specific points, I only deduced 0.5 points for the evolving SP, and specifically mentioned I didn't think it was that unbelievable. And the Budew you mentioned has a Poké-Powers and a Poké-Body, it predates the BW-on insistence that the TCG mirror the VG as much as possible. I specifically mention this in the review. If you pick an era, you have to follow that era's rules, or lose at least a few halfpoints.
OK, I see! Continue doing a great job on judging, anyhow!

Not sure if I mentioned this already, but Heavenly Spoon will be judging text-based for next month. CMP is back to image-based!!

Wait, I just noticed something:

Wow, Gadget, this card was amazing! Not your fake one, of course, but it's amazing! Keep up this good work, and hope to see you next month! Wink

So, my card is good, but my Fake isn't. They are both Fake cards, so you don't like either of them?:( haha

GadgetJax said:

Wow, Gadget, this card was amazing! Not your fake one, of course, but it's amazing! Keep up this good work, and hope to see you next month! Wink

So, my card is good, but my Fake isn't. They are both Fake cards, so you don't like either of them?:( haha
I'm pretty sure he is talking about this one: :p
That Guy with a Blog Wrote:
Stage 1 - accelgor - hp200 - grass
accelgor wuz here
c c c slash 70

g g c c c super sword 10000

weakness r

resistance evrythng

retreat 0

Accelgor is really cool.

Creativity/Originality: 35/20pts
Good HP, original.
Nice note.
Nie effectless attacks.
Wow.

Wording: -55/15pts
Lern hao too zpel. Sheez.

Believability/Playability: e/15pts
(look up "e") I thing Super Sword doens't do enough damage. Maybe 10005?

Total Score: e-20/50pts

GadgetJax said:
/me reacts like this to your joke:
hA4DF6CC9
You know what I meant with that, Gadget. :p I like your fake card, but not your fake fake card. xD

Luis, may I ask what cards have the same abilities as my Axew? I hadn't seen one like it before, so I thought mine was pretty original.

@Professorlight
Where did you get the image for you card? I really like it!

Wigglytuff said:
Luis, may I ask what cards have the same abilities as my Axew? I hadn't seen one like it before, so I thought mine was pretty original.

First of all, if you guys hadn't noticed yet, most of the time I make a point deduction when it comes to Originality is in sets of 2pts.

That said, I'm not saying that the effects were exact copies of other ones. I'm just saying that it's very similar to effects like Espeon Prime's, Mew-EX's and the such. If you look at it better, that's only 1 "error", or how you want to call it.

I also have some input on the 2 Abilities thing that was discussed earlier, but have to go now, I'll post it tomorrow. I can still reply to you, 'tuff, though, I'm just going mobile. ;)

bbninjas said:
@Professorlight
Where did you get the image for you card? I really like it!

Why, I made it myself! thanks.

I don't like using pictures of other people for my cards, so I always make them myself. I may not be as good as others, but I like the result. Even klang's.

Back