PokéBeach Create-a-Card #4! Congrats to Charganium the Bold and TheBugManiac!

RE: PokéBeach Create-a-Card #4!

Only a week and one day until entries are due! If you havent already, you're allowed to sign up until the deadline. I'd love to see more entries!

I'm assuming the posting of the entries works similar to how the last one did. If not, oh well.

One of the main features of Autumn is tree leaves changing color and falling. The idea for this card comes from that changing color.

Whimsicott - Grass - HP90
Stage 1 - Evolves from Cottonee

Ability: Chlorochrome
Each [G] Energy provides every type of Energy but provides only 1 Energy at a time.

[G][C][C] Energy Ball: 40+ damage. This attack does 10 more damage for each different type of Basic Energy in play.

Weakness: Fire (x2)
Resistance: Lightning (-20)
Retreat: 0

And now some rants about why the card is how it is.

Combos nicely with cards like Ho-oh EX. The creation of this card is psuedo-attempted to make a Ho-oh EX deck plausible, without running a bunch of random Basic Energy that are run merely for Ho-oh EX.

I contemplated putting a neg. effect to the Ability, something like "When this Pokemon is knocked out, discard 1 [G] Energy attached to each of your Pokemon attached with [G] Energy" that would reflect the falling of leaves, but I figured [G] Pokemon needed more support anyway - besides, with 90 HP, most strong cards (like Mewtwo-EX or Garchomp) would be able to OHKO it anyway, making it near-pointless. Besides, with cards like Magnezone, the Ability isn't too bad as-is, right? Right?

The attack is intended to, again, work similar to Ho-oh EX and provide a base 70 damage, or 50 with DCE. Depending on how colorful your opponent's deck is, this number can jump to base 90/70. With this in mind, the 3 Energy cost somewhat justifies itself, since you'll be doing around 80 with the attack.

Fire weakness is natural for Grass Pokemon, while it has a somewhat unique Lightning resistance. While it gives a better match-up against Zekrom-focused decks, it also means that a Ho-oh/Whimsicott deck will face a bad match-up against Blastoise/Keldeo (and potentially a TP Articuno) decks. That being said, it's somewhat unlikely that with just this card, a Ho-oh deck would become playable. Lastly, 0 retreat is pretty common for Whimsicotts.

Of course, I don't play the card game, nor do I follow it very closely. What I'm saying could be complete bogus.

Autumn!
Landorus EX (Incarnate Forme) - {F} - HP 180

Ability: Harvest
Once per turn, you may search your deck for a {F} energy, and attach it to this Pokémon. Shuffle your deck afterward.

{F}{F}{C} Abuntant Blast

You may Shuffle any number of {F} Energy attached to this Pokémon into your Deck. You may put 30 Damage on your Opponent's Pokémon in any way you like for each {F} Energy you Shuffle into your Deck this way.

Weakness: {W} x2
Resistance: None
Retreat: {C}{C}{C}

To me, autumn means crappy weather.
Tornadus EX [C] 160 HP
Basic Pokémon

Ability: Autumn Gale
Once during your turn (before your attack), you may use this Ability. If you do, Tornadus EX is Knocked Out. Discard all Energy in play.

[C][C] Beaufort Rush

This attack does 60 damage to 1 of your opponent‘s Pokémon. (Don‘t apply Weakness and Resistance for Benched Pokémon.)

Weakness: [L]
Resistance: [F]
Retreat: -

Idea of Autumn Gale is a storm blowing dead leaves away. And Energy. I went with something cheap and powerful with the attack, as I felt it would complement the ability better than another flashy effect.

Examples used for wording: Gigalith NVI (still up-to-date as far as I‘m aware), Electrode TM (No suicide effects in BW yet, so this was the most recent source).

So... here it is!
{G} Celebi 60 HP
Basic Pokémon

Ability: Autumn Harvest
Once during your turn (before your attack), you may discard Celebi and all cards attached to it. (This does not count as Celebi being knocked out.) If you do, you may attach a basic {G} Energy card from your hand to your Active Pokémon. (If Celebi was your Active Pokémon when you used this power, attach the Energy it to the new Active Pokémon.)

{G}{C} Time Jump 20+
This attack does 20 damage plus 20 more damage for each Celebi in your discard pile. Then, shuffle all Celebi from your discard pile into your deck.

Weakness: {R} x2
Resistance:
Retreat Cost: {C}

Flavor explanation:

I picked this concept because it incorporates a bunch of things about Autumn. Its ability references the concept of fallen leaves (both discarding Celebi and dropping energy from the hand) and the harvest (accelerating {G}). Its attack is themed after a number of things: Celebi is the time-travelling Pokémon, and during Autumn the time changes for DST ("Fall" behind). In addition, Autumn is usually associated with reflective moods and nostalgia- it is a season of introspect to one's past and of childhood memories. Time seemed to be a very fitting idea.

Competitive explanation:

The stats are nothing unique for Celebi (actually the same as Celebi prime).

Its ability is a form of strong energy acceleration, which lets you power up Grass-type and splashable Pokémon fairly easily similar to CMT. This would make Grass-types more powerful, and make Tornadus/EX and Mewtwo EX top threats again. This Celebi is even harder to reuse than the Prime version, due to being discarded, but it notably isn't left on board to be attacked by things like Darkrai EX. It retains its reliance on the hand and weakness to N (which is more crippling due to all decks playing 3-4 and the lack of Smeargle), and is a bad starter since you can't use its ability without another basic in play.

As far as the attack goes, 60 or 80 for 2 is pretty good, especially since it can attack first turn and you have a lot of outs to it attacking, but it is not enough to OHKO anything but evolving basics and can't 2HKO EXs or even some Stage 2s, depending on the damage attained. It's simply a hard attack to keep cycling based on the number of cards needed avery turn to pull it off. It's a good out when Celebi is used as acceleration, but leaves a free prize to your opponent.

And, there are too many text references to count! =/

All entries are due by tonight at 11:59 EST, so if you still need to post your entry, please do so! It's also not too late to register if interested...

When I think of Autumn, I think of holloween.

{P} Gengar 140 HP
Stage 2, Evolves from Haunter

Ability: Boo!
Flip a coin. If heads, the defending Pokémon is now Paralyzed.

{P}{P}{C}{C} Trick or Treat

Flip a coin. If heads, this attack does 100 damage to the defending Pokémon. If tails, this attack does 100 damage to this Pokémon.

Weakness:
Resistance: {C}
Retreat: - {C}

chikorita_by_charganium-d5fqka0.png

I hate Thanksgiving.

Oh no. I totally thought the deadline was the 24th.... Oh well I guess I won't be defending my title :p good luck then everyone!

All right, that looks like the deadline is passed. Charganium the Bold I'm not sure if your entry will be accepted, even if it was just the morning after. It's CMP's call, so I'll let him decide.

Deus: Nightmare Autarch said:
All right, that looks like the deadline is passed. Charganium the Bold I'm not sure if your entry will be accepted, even if it was just the morning after. It's CMP's call, so I'll let him decide.

Whoops :p I'm bad at calculating time zones.

Oh well, even if it's not eligible, it was fun to make.

47bennyg -- if you still want to submit an entry, I'll give you until tomorrow night at 11:59 PM EST.

Charg, I'll acccept your entry!

That goesfor everyone, too -- if you missed the deadline, post your entry before tomorrow night and I'll accept it!

Judging of the entries is now going underway! Expect the results to be posted within a few days!

EDIT: NEVERMIND
Nod is always the one to go ahead and be late.

Has judging been held up or are the results up somewhere I haven‘t seen them?

It's whenever CMP decides to post his half. I already judged my half and sent it to him, so now we're just waiting for CMP to finish it off.

Hi guys! As some of you may (or may not) be aware, CMP has been rather busy lately, what with him being in grad school. I haven't heard back from him as far as this contest goes, so just so you all know that we're serious about finishing the contest, I've taken the liberty of judging all the entries.

I'm going to post the scores for everyone now, so you won't be in suspense forever.

Okay, here we go!

Text-Based

Fraxureking

Landorus EX (Incarnate Forme) - {F} - HP 180

Ability: Harvest
Once per turn, you may search your deck for a {F} energy, and attach it to this Pokémon. Shuffle your deck afterward.

{F}{F}{C} Abuntant Blast

You may Shuffle any number of {F} Energy attached to this Pokémon into your Deck. You may put 30 Damage on your Opponent's Pokémon in any way you like for each {F} Energy you Shuffle into your Deck this way.

Weakness: {W} x2
Resistance: None
Retreat: {C}{C}{C}

Creativity/Originality: 19/20
I know fallen leaves is a big part of autumn, but like you mentioned, an even bigger part of autumn is it's the time of year for harvesting crops - and who better for that than Landorus himself? Granted, it's a little stereotypical, but I think your interesting attack idea more than makes up for it!

Wording: 13/15
It's close, but not quite up to snuff. The Ability should start "Once during your turn (before your attack) and a comma isn't needed after "Energy", which should be always capitalized. As for the attack, it should probably say "Shuffle any number of {F} Energy cards attached to this Pokémon into your deck. For each card you shuffled into your deck this way, this attack does 30 damage to 1 of your opponent's Pokémon. (You may choose the same Pokémon more than once.) (Don't apply Weakness and Resistance for Benched Pokémon.)" Pretty close, though!

Believability/Playability: 15/15
Given how this is an EX with quite a strong attack (that even fuels itself), I could totally see this being an actual card. It's got quite a high damage output and it can recuperate easily - plus, if it gets KO'd, it's no big loss to your Energy. Good job!

Total: 47/50

puddizzle

Whimsicott - Grass - HP90
Stage 1 - Evolves from Cottonee

Ability: Chlorochrome
Each [G] Energy provides every type of Energy but provides only 1 Energy at a time.

[G][C][C] Energy Ball: 40+ damage. This attack does 10 more damage for each different type of Basic Energy in play.

Weakness: Fire (x2)
Resistance: Lightning (-20)
Retreat: 0

Creativity/Originality: 19/20
The Chlorochrome concept is not something I would have expected - you leap right from leaves changing color to Energy changing to every color. I wouldn't expect a Whimsicott of all things to have that either. I'm impressed.

Wording: 14/15
It's mostly okay; the only real flaw is that Chlorochrome should say "Each {G} Energy attached to your Pokémon provides every type of Energy but provides only 1 Energy at a time".

Believability/Playability: 10/15
Unfortunately, I do not see this card ever becoming realistic. Because it changes any {G} basic Energy attached into every type automatically, Energy Ball will automatically do 130 damage with no drawback whatsoever, and with the Ho-Oh-EX situation you mentioned, a single {G} Energy would make Rainbow Burn auto-cap at 200 damage. If it didn't have the Chlorochrome, I could see this making sense. Otherwise...no.

Total: 44/50

TheBugManiac

Tornadus EX [C] 160 HP
Basic Pokémon

Ability: Autumn Gale
Once during your turn (before your attack), you may use this Ability. If you do, Tornadus EX is Knocked Out. Discard all Energy in play.

[C][C] Beaufort Rush

This attack does 60 damage to 1 of your opponent‘s Pokémon. (Don‘t apply Weakness and Resistance for Benched Pokémon.)

Weakness: [L]
Resistance: [F]
Retreat: -

Creativity/Originality: 20/20
...Windy weather is not something I'd expect in autumn at all. Yeah, it happens, but it's probably not the first thing that comes to anyone's mind. I also like the idea behind Autumn Gale and Beaufort Rush as well; they go along well with Tornadus. Too bad thunderstorms aren't very common in autumn, or this competition could have had all 3 Kami participating :p

Wording: 15/15
I have absolutely no complaints. The wording is flawless.

Believability/Playability: 15/15
Could I see an EX sniping for 60 for only a DCE with no drawback? Yes, I could. Could I see an EX sacrificing itself to discard every Energy in play? Not immediately, but it doesn't require that much of a stretch to think of it. Even the HP and other specs are perfectly balanced as well!

Total: 50/50

The Fire Wyrm

{P} Gengar 140 HP
Stage 2, Evolves from Haunter

Ability: Boo!
Flip a coin. If heads, the defending Pokémon is now Paralyzed.

{P}{P}{C}{C} Trick or Treat

Flip a coin. If heads, this attack does 100 damage to the defending Pokémon. If tails, this attack does 100 damage to this Pokémon.

Weakness:
Resistance: {C}
Retreat: - {C}

Creativity/Originality: 16/20
Halloween does definitely stand out as one of autumn's big events, and with Halloween obviously come the spooks. A very thematic card here. Not much that's quite out of the ordinary as far as strength goes, but quite interesting. There isn't much to say for attack detail, though.

Wording: 12/15
The word 'Defending' is always capitalized, and when a Pokemon attacks itself, you would always say "This Pokémon does ___ to itself", possibly even adding the clause "and don't apply Weakness and Resistance to this damage" if applicable (but it isn't here). The same thing with capitalization applies to Boo!, except...I have no idea when the timing is. Is it once-per-turn? Is it a drop power? What is it?

Believability/Playability: 12/15
The Trick or Treat attack reminds me a little of Kyogre CoL's Destructive Tsunami attack - big cost and could do big damage to the opponent...or to you, just as easily. Boo! might make a bit more sense if it was a drop power, and as of E-Series, Ghost-types have generally been weak to {D}, Sableye and Spiritomb being obvious exceptions. (Sometimes they have weaknesses to secondary types, like Chandelure, but there aren't many cases of this.)

Total: 40/50

Zarco

{G} Celebi 60 HP
Basic Pokémon

Ability: Autumn Harvest
Once during your turn (before your attack), you may discard Celebi and all cards attached to it. (This does not count as Celebi being knocked out.) If you do, you may attach a basic {G} Energy card from your hand to your Active Pokémon. (If Celebi was your Active Pokémon when you used this power, attach the Energy it to the new Active Pokémon.)

{G}{C} Time Jump 20+
This attack does 20 damage plus 20 more damage for each Celebi in your discard pile. Then, shuffle all Celebi from your discard pile into your deck.

Weakness: {R} x2
Resistance:
Retreat Cost: {C}

Creativity/Originality: 20/20
Just like the Tornadus, this is the kind of card I like to see: not something that immediately comes to mind, but at the same time is also perfectly applicable to the time of year. I especially liked your nod to DST; it made me smile. Autumn Harvest makes sense as well, and is quite original in its own way. Good job!

Wording: 14.5/15
The only real mistake is the clause should say "This doesn't count as a Knocked Out Pokémon", and the "If you do" isn't necessary. But since it was such a minor error, only half a point is deducted.

Believability/Playability: 14.5/15
Autumn Harvest does sync up well with Celebi Prime, the only difference is that it discards itself - which can be effective because it doesn't become bait later, and, like many Pokemon, it fuels its own attack (which are always good standalone cards to see). Time Jump is also a very possible concept, since all the Celebi get to hop backward in the deck time and get recycled. I could definitely see this being made into a card.

Total: 49/50

Image-Based

Charganium the Bold

chikorita_by_charganium-d5fqka0.png

Creativity/Originality: 16/20
Chikorita's an interesting choice, but at the same time it's the obvious connection of autumn = orange falling leaves. It's a bit obvious. The 'Thanksgiving' is a bit of a curveball, but still doesn't deviate much.

Wording: 14/15
The only thing I can see wrong here is that, instead of Novemberflower beginning with "Remove 3 damage counters", it should instead say "Heal 30 damage", to match up with the BW wording. Other than that, looks fine!

Fonts and Placement: 7.5/10
The font, although close, isn't quite the correct type of font to use, although it is consistent throughout. One thing that isn't consistent, however, is the size of the {G} used in the wording of both the attacks and the ability - each time it's used, the size is different (notice the first use makes it so large the space is clogged up, whereas the last time it's very small). I believe the 2 in the "x2" in Weakness is too far over from the x as well.

Believability/Playability: 3/5
I'm not sure if a Basic Pokemon such as Chikorita would have as potent of an ability as Thanksgiving (doubling basic Energy), or an attack that heals damage en masse from your Pokemon. It only needs 2 {G} Energy cards to use its own attack, and that alone heals itself by 120 damage (completely), never mind all the damage healed off your Bench (60 damage healed per Energy card). I guess its low HP of 70 could be an excuse, but if that attack ever gets a chance to fire off, it's almost like a costless Max Potion for your whole field.

Total: 40.5/50

And the results are in! Thank you all very much for participating.

Judging the image-based category was...a little odd to say the least, since only one person entered, but it's still a good card all the same! Congratulations to Charganium the Bold!

As far as the text-based category went, I got a bunch of marvelous submissions to work with, and I enjoyed every one. Congratulations to TheBugManiac for taking first place, and a big hand also to Zarco for a close second!

Hopefully I may be able to take over for CMP and start doing more of these contests, but first comes the tricky part: thinking up new themes. But don't worry, I'm sure I'll have something amazing for you all.

Thanks for participating; I hope to see you in the next competition!

Ack, probably should have made the wording clearer. Each [G] energy wasn't supposed to be considered all types but only providing one - it was to be considered one type but that type could be changeable.

Like, if I attach a [G] energy to a Pokemon while Whimsicott is in play, then that [G] Energy can provide either [G], [R], [W], [L], [F], [P], [M], or [D] energy, but it's only considered to be one of those colors at a time. i.e., if it's providing [R] energy, then it is considered [R], not all of those colors.

Alas, that's my fault for not knowing how the technical stuff regarding this game works. Any ideas what the correct wording to achieve this end would be?

Like, if I attach a [G] energy to a Pokemon while Whimsicott is in play, then that [G] Energy can provide either [G], [R], [W], [L], [F], [P], [M], or [D] energy, but it's only considered to be one of those colors at a time. i.e., if it's providing [R] energy, then it is considered [R], not all of those colors.
The tricky thing about Rainbow and Prism Energy is that it simultaneously provides all colors at once, but only counts as 1 unit. It isn't one type for the purposes of one attack and a different type for the purposes of another - it's always everything. But then again, you probably already knew that.

Alas, that's my fault for not knowing how the technical stuff regarding this game works. Any ideas what the correct wording to achieve this end would be?
Hmmm...
Maybe something along the lines of "You can use this ability any time during your turn (before your attack). Choose any number of basic {G} Energy attached to any of your Pokemon. For each Energy card you chose, choose a type of Energy other than {C}. Those basic Energy cards are treated as the type you chose (instead of their normal types) until the end of your turn".

Something like that. I'm slightly reminded of Neo Porygon2's Delta Converter.

Back