'Phantom Gate' Scans and Translations! [9/10]

The old Computer Search and the ACE SPEC Computer Search did the same thing though iirc. I'm not entirely familiar with the e-series though, did Pokemon Nurse and Pokemon Center Lady do the same thing?

There is also the fact that Expedition was a Wizards set, though I believe even then Nintendo still got final approval on cards.

I agree that random NPCs shouldn't be getting full art, but that's just me. I'd much rather have the storyline friends, gym leaders or elite four getting FAs. Also, where is our Sycamore FA, Nintendo!? :mad:

I imagine in all reality we'll have FA of Sycamore, Tierno, and Shauna at some point. We had Juniper, Bianca, and Cheren as early as our first BW set but it took a few sets before we started to get their FA.

I agree with those who mentioned Caitlin, that was Plasma Blast where we only got 1 full art trainer, still not sure what their reasoning was.
They could have put a full art Sycamore in XY also.

I can almost compare the npc full art trainers to the 4th Final Destination movie, in the first 3 films you had a small set of main characters and each one had a name, in the 4th everyone was called by what they were, for example you had car repairman man.

I notice some of the npc trainer cards are usually not worth that much, for example Korrina and Lysandre are worth the most from their sets. So when I get Fossil Researcher or Pokemon Fan Club I feel like I just got an Emolga ex or Heracross Ex. And these are taking up spots in boxes.

Not to say npc's in the game with no name should be given a name in the tcg, I'd just like to see a more even distribution, maybe just one npc per set.

Also I hope we get full art gym leaders for the OR/AS sets.

pokedan24 said:
Anyone notice how pre-evolutions are becoming more playable? All of the Night Marchers are pre evolutions (Joltik, Pumpkaboo, Lampant). The entire Crobat line has snipe attacks and Golbat can also do damage when evolved. Blissey is terrible, but Chansey has an interesting 100 for CCC attack. Lastly, there's Loudred, that has energy press, similar to Deoxys Helix force only it costs CCC and you need no plasma energy.

Yes, I'm a fan of stage two's and I think it makes them more playable since you can actually attack in an emergency instead of trying to build up your stage 2 on your bench and hope those energy attachments aren't a waste lol. It's cool too because the energy requirements seem to prepare you for the next or final evolutions attacks, again good for those emergency situations in game.

I love Gengar, so I'm excited about the ex and the mega, even if they aren't as powerful as other EX's. I'll still do my best to create some kind of spread/poison lock deck based around Gengar! :)

I would just be happy if they gave Trainers to all of the RS, BW and XY Gym Leaders eventually, full art or not. They obviously did all of the Kanto ones in Gym Heroes/Challenge, and we got Johto and Sinnoh representation via VS and Rising Rivals, but they've only picked a select few Unova and Kalos Gym Leaders and have never done the Hoenn ones, which is actually a bit surprising considering how long the Gen III TCG sets lasted.

Same goes for the Kanto-exclusive, Unova and Kalos Elites. We did get Caitlin in Plasma Blast but that's it. Meanwhile poor Lorelei has zero cards to her name after almost twenty years. Sad.

We need to intergrate the anime more into the card game. Like how they would do in earlier sets. Like the card "Imposter Professor Oak" which was a character from the anime that appeared once(IIRC). I think that maybe having a Officer Jenny, May, or Whatever is going on. I mean I like the idea of Pokemon Fan Club and Pokemon Center Lady but I wish it was a more important character. Pokemon Fan Club was a card from Aquapolis(IIRC) that was just brought back, but Pokemon Center Lady could have been Nurse Joy pretty easily.

Frost said:
Imposter Oak appeared in the TCG before the anime, actually.

I was thinking about that. I wish the Game, Anime, and TCG were all feeding off of each others ideas. It makes it feel like they were all in the same world.

Let's not forget that the same set that gave us Iris also gave us an Axew with an attack that let you search your deck for a copy of Iris and place her in hand. That's obviously a nod to the anime. I would love to see a combination of the three prime pokemon franchises represented as well. Again, it would have been easy to have Pokemon Center Lady be Nurse Joy, Really since she has no official name, she still could be considered Nurse Joy.

I could see Officer Jenny easily as a supporter card. Something with the effect of "You may choose X number of cards in your discard pile to be shuffled back into your deck where X=the amount of prizes your opponent has taken." Not quiet as good as Lysandre's Last Resort I realize but it would be a good way to get some small things back, like energy or if you're that behind maybe an evolution line you lost. Just a potential idea.

I'm also confused on anybody saying that Gengar EX is bad. It is going to make Lock decks amazing. I'm fairly sure Genger/ Trevenent/ Dragalge is going to be a Tier 1 deck. It covers Fighting weakness, imediately wins against Plasma, and can easily chip away at Bulky EXs HP

Pikachu6319 said:
I could see Officer Jenny easily as a supporter card. Something with the effect of "You may choose X number of cards in your discard pile to be shuffled back into your deck where X=the amount of prizes your opponent has taken." Not quiet as good as Lysandre's Last Resort I realize but it would be a good way to get some small things back, like energy or if you're that behind maybe an evolution line you lost. Just a potential idea.

The card would be overpowered since you can choose the cards to be shuffled back and there is no real drawback to the card. If both players would be allowed to choose and shuffle the same number of cards into their decks it would be more ballanced.

Wigglytuff said:
I'm also confused on anybody saying that Gengar EX is bad. It is going to make Lock decks amazing. I'm fairly sure Genger/ Trevenent/ Dragalge is going to be a Tier 1 deck. It covers Fighting weakness, imediately wins against Plasma, and can easily chip away at Bulky EXs HP

I think that is a lot to ask for. Gengar EX is a Donphan that doesn't benefit from the OP Fighting support. I personally will always choose a card that can do 80 damage for 1 Strong Energy and a muscle band turn 2 than poison any day. Trevenent isn't a good choice for him. Dralage is always going to be better, but we have a card that does this but better Toxicroak EX. He puts 50 damage inbetween turns with Virbank the only difference is that he doesn't get a free retreat.

Toxicroak doesn't do the job better, he does 50 between turns with no damage
Gengar does 30 between turns, plus 60 damge (80 with muscle band), plus a free retreat for an item lock

I can see it now. I do prefer Donphan to him still. Korrina and Fighting Support make him really good.

I don't think it is tier 1. Dralage and Trevenent are both bad without their abilities. If you use a megaphone then your float stones are gone and you have switch or escape rope out(Which isn't a had task, but if you have used them already it is bad), and Seismitoad/Garbodor is too tough of a matchup for this. It is the same problems as Donphan/Trevenant or Donphan/Flygon/Dusknoir.

If I could build a Mew EX/Dimensional Valley/Big Basic decks I would consider this as another attacker.

But the beauty of it is that they can't use a megaphone to discard tools, they can't attach a tool to garbodor to shut down abilities, and they can't switch into a seimitoad with the Dragalge lock.

Anyone thinking of a Gengar EX/Yanmega deck? With Gengar's move of having to switch him out, and Yanmega's move of doing an additional 50 damage for being switched in, can deal 100 total damage. And Yanmega has a retreat cost of 0, so you could retreat Yanmega again, and throw Gengar out there, and continue this for as long as all your Yanmega's live :p
If this sucks, I'm sorry, trying to get more into the competitive aspect of the TCG.

But with the actual designs of the cards, I actually like Manectric and AZ's full arts. They're pretty nice looking :)

Edit: Yanmega's additional 50 wouldn't count, because it wasn't the same turn >.< Sorry! But you could do this, to make sure your Gengar EX stays at full health for a while :p

CuriousCleffa said:
Anyone thinking of a Gengar EX/Yanmega deck? With Gengar's move of having to switch him out, and Yanmega's move of doing an additional 50 damage for being switched in, can deal 100 total damage. And Yanmega has a retreat cost of 0, so you could retreat Yanmega again, and throw Gengar out there, and continue this for as long as all your Yanmega's live :p
If this sucks, I'm sorry, trying to get more into the competitive aspect of the TCG.

But with the actual designs of the cards, I actually like Manectric and AZ's full arts. They're pretty nice looking :)

Edit: Yanmega's additional 50 wouldn't count, because it wasn't the same turn >.< Sorry! But you could do this, to make sure your Gengar EX stays at full health for a while :p

While that would be a really cool deck, it wouldn't work, as Gengar switches during the turn it attacked, and Yanmega's attack says: "If this Pokemon was switched from the Bench during this turn, this attack does 50 more damage."

Back