Pokemon PETA Releases Anti-Pokemon Game to Raise Awareness of Virtual Monster Abuse

RE: PETA Releases Anti-Pokemon Game to Raise Awareness of Virtual Monster Abuse...

This is so dumb I died.

Who's sick idea is this? it's not even funny. it makes them look like a bunch of morons. I agree they are just in desperate need of attention. PETA should be sued. They shouldn't exist. they have no clue what they are doing or what they are talking about. I thought PETA was supposed to be against animal abuse yet they go and make this... Hypocrites. This company is pointless and mentally unstable.

RE: PETA Releases Anti-Pokemon Game to Raise Awareness of Virtual Monster Abuse...

MageLeif said:
Incinermyn said:
Wrong! PETA can still get sued, even claiming fair use. If Game Freak and Nintendo feel that this will hurt their business, they can still take legal action because PETA derogatorally uses so much of their trademarked material negatively. They turn a blind eye to fanworks because those are produced by people who buy the games and merchandise.

True, that's Trademark Tarnishment.

However, PETA still has quite a number of defenses to protect themselves. There's nominative fair use, traditional fair use, parody, and they can even make a case of naked licensing because the company did not object to PETA in the past.

I would say naked licensing might be their best bet in this case. Because nobody raised a lawsuit about what PETA has done in the past regarding anything Nintendo-related, if Nintendo/Game Freak try to sue PETA now, the simple fact that they did not take earlier action strengthens PETA's case substantially.

Actually, if Game Freak owns the rights to Pokemon (and sues) than PETA couldn't use naked licensing because Game Freak doesn't own Mario.

Paddy185 said:
I love how they support TP's views whilst it is stated B/W that they overworked stolen Pokemon and Ghetsis was really doing this to take over Unova.

Oh, they go there. Ghetsis makes an appearance.

Also, legally, I'd think this would fold out like Mario; Nintendo/TPC/whoever would make a statement saying what the flash game states isn't representative of anything the games themselves claim, and PETA would reply with "Oh, yeah, it's a joke, yeah, a funny joke. Hahaha. Please don't sue us."

Equinox said:
Actually, if Game Freak owns the rights to Pokemon (and sues) than PETA couldn't use naked licensing because Game Freak doesn't own Mario.

Good point, Game Freak could actually do that since you're right, naked licensing wouldn't apply here.

Though unfortunately for Game Freak it just doesn't make sense business-wise. Even if they won it would be a pretty shallow victory and the payoff would barely be substantial enough to make it worth their while.

I'm no lawyer of Nintendo, but I would have to guess that's the reason why they didn't go after and sue PETA for the "Mario Tanooki Suit" game. If a company as large as Nintendo didn't sue PETA from that, I doubt a smaller company like Game Freak would.

Incinermyn said:
Wrong! PETA can still get sued, even claiming fair use. If Game Freak and Nintendo feel that this will hurt their business, they can still take legal action because PETA derogatorally uses so much of their trademarked material negatively. They turn a blind eye to fanworks because those are produced by people who buy the games and merchandise.

That's exactly it. They don't want to sue people who create things to support them and enjoy what they created. These people love their games and buy their products. The type of organization or person they would want to sue would be PETA, as what they did with this project was create a game that could hurt their business. It's not as if they care if people are enjoying their products, they care if someone is tarnishing it as PETA did.

On the real, PETA needs to get shut down immediately. They're a corrupt organization that kills more animals than they save, and who waste thousands and thousands to do worthless things like this game. It's actually as if they value animals more than their own kind.
I hate PETA so much oh my god.

... That Mudkip thing...
If PETA only knew the origin...
facepalm.jpg

Meatheart said:
Something I can agree on.

Meatheart said:
It's actually as if they value animals more than their own kind.

I'm pretty sure they do.

Teal said:
... That Mudkip thing...
facepalm.jpg

Meatheart said:
Something I can agree on.

The origin is DeviantArt, some Mudkip Fan Club person was posting "I herd u liek mudkips" all people's walls. Not what you might be thinking of, that was later...

Meatheart said:
Incinermyn said:

That's exactly it. They don't want to sue people who create things to support them and enjoy what they created. These people love their games and buy their products. The type of organization or person they would want to sue would be PETA, as what they did with this project was create a game that could hurt their business. It's not as if they care if people are enjoying their products, they care if someone is tarnishing it as PETA did.

On the real, PETA needs to get shut down immediately. They're a corrupt organization that kills more animals than they save, and who waste thousands and thousands to do worthless things like this game. It's actually as if they value animals more than their own kind.

Refer to this post where I talk about Trademark Tarnishment.

Also another thing I would like to add; I don't know how well of a case fanworks, fanart, etc. would put up. For example, there's a whole lot of hentai and such circling the internet that I'm sure Nintendo, Game Freak, and many other companies don't exactly appreciate. Not once have I ever heard of someone being prosecuted for their fan creations.

However, there are a couple big exceptions that don't involve any "dirty" material, such as the Chrono Trigger and Legend of Zelda fan-games that were being made a while ago. Nintendo and Square Enix didn't appreciate those so they sent cease-and-desist letters.

Didn't the Chrono Trigger game get turned into Chrono Cross when they "took it up"?

MageLeif said:
Meatheart said:

Refer to this post where I talk about Trademark Tarnishment.

Also another thing I would like to add; I don't know how well of a case fanworks, fanart, etc. would put up. For example, there's a whole lot of hentai and such circling the internet that I'm sure Nintendo, Game Freak, and many other companies don't exactly appreciate. Not once have I ever heard of someone being prosecuted for their fan creations.

However, there are a couple big exceptions that don't involve any "dirty" material, such as the Chrono Trigger and Legend of Zelda fan-games that were being made a while ago. Nintendo and Square Enix didn't appreciate those so they sent cease-and-desist letters.

For the record, PB went through an incident a while ago regarding use of Pokemon Black and White footage and information on the website before the games were released outside of Japan, but they were taken down and no further actions were taken by Nintendo/Game Freak. In the case of PETA, there could be more severe backlash. That's all I meant.

heheheheheheheh

Okay, you've got to hand it to them. That was very well made, given the circumstances.

loooool. I love animals. I'm definitely against animal cruelty. I actually value animals more than people. But this PETA thing is absolutely ridiculous. They should go beat their heads against a wall or something for not understanding what Pokémon is...

PETA again really....? Why don't they actually do their job and stop picking on franchises that are actually trying to distance themselves from the mindset that animals are just a thing to be used.(Pokemon) The characters state a million times that pokemon aren't just a thing to be used that partnership is the key to susccess and that you should be friends with your pokemon.They need to do more Research.Actually I don't know who did their research but some parts were quite factual and correct such as Ghetits not really standing for pokemon liberation. However some weren't at all factual such as ash keeping pikachu crammed in a pokeball all day.Judging from the differeing amounts of research done I would say different people did each seperate character.

Bolt the Cat said:
Meatheart said:
It's actually as if they value animals more than their own kind.

I'm pretty sure they do.
What exactly is your problem with that? Except from a Pokémon viewpoint, it is surely kind of stupid.

Metalizard said:
loooool. I love animals. I'm definitely against animal cruelty. I actually value animals more than people. But this PETA thing is absolutely ridiculous. They should go beat their heads against a wall or something for not understanding what Pokémon is...
They probably understand, but they just parody the franchise.

PETA again really....? Why don't they actually do their job and stop picking on franchises that are actually trying to distance themselves from the mindset that animals are just a thing to be used.(Pokemon) The characters state a million times that pokemon aren't just a thing to be used that partnership is the key to susccess and that you should be friends with your pokemon.They need to do more Research.Actually I don't know who did their research but some parts were quite factual and correct such as Ghetits not really standing for pokemon liberation. However some weren't at all factual such as ash keeping pikachu crammed in a pokeball all day.Judging from the differeing amounts of research done I would say different people did each seperate character.
I am pretty sure this is part of their occupation. And they actually do help animals, it just gets overshadowed by their questionable campaigns and the resulting prejudice. Also, keep in mind this is a parody and not a review.

The message Pokémon games convey, could also be easily deconstructed. Even if the classical Pokémon battle is considered a kind of sport ( even a rather safe one for the Pokémon themselves ) , and neccessary for Pokémon to fully develop, the game itself allows abuse of its mechanics. Overuse of vitamins, HM-Slaves and other mechanics come into mind. Not to mention RNG manipulation. And yes, i am aware that the rest of EV training is actually, in most cases, actual training (except B2W2, for a few cases).

... That Mudkip thing...
That is actually fairly accurate, if you come to think of it.

I haven't played the game myself, so i can't judge its content. It looks like a classic parody to me and as Pokémon fan, i don't feel offended. What i question is their intentions, and their target audience? Especially younger children could misinterpret the nature of Pokémon battles, but this implies they are mainly reaching for attention by covering the Pokémon phenomenon.

Renoir said:
Bolt the Cat said:
I'm pretty sure they do.
What exactly is your problem with that? Except from a Pokémon viewpoint, it is surely kind of stupid.

Because unlike humans, animals aren't sentient. Don't get me wrong, animals deserve basic respect and needs, things like food, water, shelter, etc., but they're not capable of the same level of thought that humans are. What, is PETA going to try and lobby to give animals the right to vote? Because that's what that kind of thinking would entail, essentially giving animals more rights than humans. And God knows, an animal wouldn't know what to do with those kinds of rights.

Bolt the Cat said:
Renoir said:

Because unlike humans, animals aren't sentient. Don't get me wrong, animals deserve basic respect and needs, things like food, water, shelter, etc., but they're not capable of the same level of thought that humans are. What, is PETA going to try and lobby to give animals the right to vote? Because that's what that kind of thinking would entail, essentially giving animals more rights than humans. And God knows, an animal wouldn't know what to do with those kinds of rights.

Wikipedia article about Sentience said:
In 1997 the concept of animal sentience was written into the basic law of the European Union. The legally-binding protocol annexed to the Treaty of Amsterdam recognizes that animals are "sentient beings", and requires the EU and its member states to "pay full regard to the welfare requirements of animals".
I am aware this only applies to the European Union (and this is Wikipedia), and you probably live in North America, but stating that there are not sentient is not true. However, i agree with you that they are not sentient in the same way human beings are.

I interpret the basic message of this campaign as a rally against virtual monster abuse. The assumption that they want to give animals their own lobby is also plain wrong, they identify themselves mainly as advocates of animals (which interestingly seems to suggest that they acknowledge animals are not able to demand ethical treatment themselves).

Bolt the Cat said:
Renoir said:

If you pet an animal, does it not purr?

If you throw a ball at an animal, does it not catch?

If you hit an animal, does it not say "Ow, ow, ow"?

Animals are sentient and should be treated as such.

That being said, this is a stupid game made by stupid people but it was somewhat funny.

jew said:
good on them. my father always told me to follow what i believe in and they're doing just that. <3

Yes, they will continue to fight for what they believe in: "euthanizing" 95% of the animals in their care and suckering people who don't have a clue into donating to their two-fold cause...

...making money and stripping humans of their rights. If you actually are against animal cruelty, find an organization that really opposes it, not that uses it as a fundraising tool.

Also, plenty of terrible things are done by people "following what they believe in", so no disrespect to your father, but that incomplete advice.

Charganium the Bold said:
Bolt the Cat said:

If you pet an animal, does it not purr?

If you throw a ball at an animal, does it not catch?

If you hit an animal, does it not say "Ow, ow, ow"?

Animals are sentient and should be treated as such.

That being said, this is a stupid game made by stupid people but it was somewhat funny.

Maybe I'm using the word sentient wrong then. Let me know when an animal is smart enough to do complex mathematical equations or read Shakespeare or something. Fact of the matter is, there's definitely something that makes us more capable of logical thought as opposed to instinct like other animals. Animals are deserving of respect, sure, but not the same kind of respect that we'd give each other.

Back