XY Nickname Censoring in Pokémon X & Y

RE: Nickname Censoring in Pokémon X / Y

When I started to MM to get a shiny pumkaboo, I wanted to name the boxes of the pc to put there only my eggs and hatched pumkaboos, so I have my game in spanish and wanted to name a box "huevos" (eggs in english) and it was censored. I spelled it in english and works fine...

Sashlyr said:
When I started to MM to get a shiny pumkaboo, I wanted to name the boxes of the pc to put there only my eggs and hatched pumkaboos, so I have my game in spanish and wanted to name a box "huevos" (eggs in english) and it was censored. I spelled it in english and works fine...

That actually makes sense and should be censored.... in Spanish at least. It's censored because,
In Mexico, huevos is a very common, very rude 'slang' term for a certain male's body part.

Omanyte said:
Yeah, the nickname censors are excessive: I tried nicknaming a Dewgong Dudegong (Wonder Trade stuff) and apparently the word "dude" is censored (I tried naming it gong and it went just fine). I'm sure there are others, but I can't remember them right now.

Sheesh!

the word dude is another name for an infected hair on and elephant's posterior apparently.

I think I know why the word gong went through fine.

It is a type of instrument of some sort similar to cymbals.

Prince Dedenne said:
Sashlyr said:

That actually makes sense and should be censored.... in Spanish at least. It's censored because,
In Mexico, huevos is a very common, very rude 'slang' term for a certain male's body part.

You'd think it'd be a swear word for a certain female body part, as the eggs come from the females.

Raptor9229 said:
Omanyte said:
Yeah, the nickname censors are excessive: I tried nicknaming a Dewgong Dudegong (Wonder Trade stuff) and apparently the word "dude" is censored (I tried naming it gong and it went just fine). I'm sure there are others, but I can't remember them right now.

Sheesh!

the word dude is another name for an infected hair on and elephant's posterior apparently.

That is an unbelievably specific censor.

Nintendo: Teaches you why normal words are bad.

Nintendo: Teaches you why normal words are bad.
I wonder if this is their actual motive - to permanently terrify children into not saying stuff.
The more you think about it, the scarier it becomes.

Name it "Rancheros"
*shot*

Is the word "butt" or "buttox" considered offensive to anyone cause I got a Sentret named that over WT, and I experimented with some names, apparently the word "botulism" is perfectly fine, I should try "toilet" or "feces" or even "crap"

One Approved said:
So when Pokebank finally goes up, what happens if I have Pokémon nicknamed "Violet" (for argument's sake) on my Black 2 and try to transfer it over Would it revert back to its usual species name? Would it not let me transfer? Would it just let me without problems...?

So do we have any confirmation on what happens with this now that pokebank is actually up?

I'm just interested because if you think about it, you can migrate something from gen 3 to 4 with an "inappropriate" nickname, and since you're no longer the OT, you can't re-nickname it.... so it'd effectively be locked. e.e So I'm really curious what happens.

One Approved said:
So do we have any confirmation on what happens with this now that pokebank is actually up?

I'm just interested because if you think about it, you can migrate something from gen 3 to 4 with an "inappropriate" nickname, and since you're no longer the OT, you can't re-nickname it.... so it'd effectively be locked. e.e So I'm really curious what happens.

When you use PokéTransporter, it states that if any Pokémon, or OT, names are considered offensive, they will be replaced. Whether you can re-nickname the Pokémon or not is beyond me.

I tested it, apparently I was able to nickname an Eevee to Paininthe(a word) all grouped together in the same word.

Prince Dedenne said:
One Approved said:

When you use PokéTransporter, it states that if any Pokémon, or OT, names are considered offensive, they will be replaced. Whether you can re-nickname the Pokémon or not is beyond me.

I assumed that you couldn't rename the Pokemon since it's not your OT once it gets to XY. I had a Ditto named
Stupid Ho
and it obviously reverted it's name back to Ditto. But I haven't checked in-game to see if I could rename it, but I doubt it.

...This is getting hilariously ridiculous. By trying not to corrupt our minds, they're doing exactly that... because we're trying to find out what on earth is wrong with our nicknames, and then we DO find out.

RE: Censoring Nicknames?

adamantdelphox said:
The name Spike is censored.

i wanted to call my furfrou spikey after my dog but NO it is offensive. now i feel bad for giving my dog a name that may has something in it that is offensive in a random languege

DNA said:
(please don't ever Google that word)

i should have listened to you

Hi, everyone! I wanted to write a comment here because this whole nickname censorship business is worrying me. I don't have X or Y yet, but I hope to have one of them soon. I've already planned out my team for when I do get the game and have also come up with names for my six main pokemon.

Would anybody who has either version be willing to please check if these six nicknames are able to be given to a pokemon? I want to know if any of these will not be allowed beforehand so I don't get the game, catch the pokemon, then try to give it the nickname I wanted, only to find out that I can't. Here are the six names I want to use:

Mosh
Starburst
Deadeye
Sunkist
T-Bone
Nosferatu

For anybody who'd be willing to try these out, please make sure you've spelled and typed them exactly as they appear here. It'd be greatly appreciated if someone would catch some random pokemon to check these for me! A big thank you in advance to anyone who takes the time to do this and sorry if this request comes across as annoying.

TigerCrab said:
Hi, everyone! I wanted to write a comment here because this whole nickname censorship business is worrying me. I don't have X or Y yet, but I hope to have one of them soon. I've already planned out my team for when I do get the game and have also come up with names for my six main pokemon.

Would anybody who has either version be willing to please check if these six nicknames are able to be given to a pokemon? I want to know if any of these will not be allowed beforehand so I don't get the game, catch the pokemon, then try to give it the nickname I wanted, only to find out that I can't. Here are the six names I want to use:

Mosh
Starburst
Deadeye
Sunkist
T-Bone
Nosferatu

Hey TigerCrab, I tested all six nicknames for you and they all worked just fine! :)
FYI: Be prepared for awesomness, as X and Y are two of the greatest games of all time!

Prince Dedenne said:
Hey TigerCrab, I tested all six nicknames for you and they all worked just fine! :)
FYI: Be prepared for awesomness, as X and Y are two of the greatest games of all time!

Wow, that's great to hear! I thought for sure that Deadeye and especially T-Bone would be rejected. Thank you so much for checking and confirming all these for me! Seriously, you're awesome! :D

Ahhhh, everyone's said so many good things about them! I don't think I'll be getting X for several months, but when I do, I'm sure I'm going to enjoy it quite a lot!

Thanks again!

Whats odd for me is that at first when I tried to make a different character in a friends game for him (decided to troll him and use my real name :p) I could not and this was before update. My name is Christian and I believe it was for the use of religious crap (even tho my name has nothing to do with that religion what so ever (no offense to anyone here :(). Also as for naming you Pokémon I have tried to name my Lucario Claw and it has worked but for my charizard and again before update I could not name him that. Odd anyone?

P.S. On a side note I got a Gothorita from WT a while ago and it was named (Girl p-word) and being curious tried to name one it then release it just in case it worked. It did not but it came from America (This was after update). Again odd anyone?

I tried to name my Fennekin "Ashton", but it wouldn't take it. Later on I named a Bidoof "Booty". No problems at all.
I feel like they went a little too far with this nickname censoring, since you can't even name yourself or your Pokemon common names -_-

I want to try if the nickname "Burner" Is Censored..I want to call my Banette like that.

EDIT: Burner is censored.. :/ I called him Burn than.

I knew someone who wanted to name their Totodile "Sobek" after an Egyptian god, but it wouldn't go through/

Back