ORAS New (Mega) Pokémon in Omega Ruby and Alpha Sapphire: Your Hopes and Expectations

It doesn't surprise me that we're seeing a lot of -ate abilities on type change Megas, that's a reflection of a pretty big flaw in the Mega Evolution system, that Megas can't have different movesets. Sure, giving your favorite Pokemon a Dragon or Fairy type Mega sounds awesome, but what kinds of moves will they have to take advantage of that new type? You're not getting any new moves when you Mega Evolve, so they either need to change the original Pokemon's moveset or give them an -ate ability to compensate.

RE: New (Mega) Pokémon in Omega Ruby and Alpha SapphiYour Hopes and Expectations

Mitja said:
His Goominess said:
I see what you mean about the abilities, although there is one thing about the Pixilate-variations that might discourage them from doing it. (well, on like 2 Pokemon anyway)
It wouldn't make sense for Lopunny or Audino (Audino wouldn't get a new ability but the same logic still applies) to, upon Mega Evolution, suddenly not be able to actually use their Normal type STAB.
But Sceptile could easily have used a Dragonify or something... hell, it learns plenty of Normal moves via TM, yet in X/Y it can only get Dragon Breath and Dragon Claw, with the former being an egg move and the latter a TM. (I'm expecting that, ala Ampharos, Dragon Pulse is added to its level up moves so it has a decent Dragon STAB)

However, there are 2 things that I believe are the most likely candidates for new abilities: Primal Groudon and Primal Kyogre.
(or rather, upgraded versions of Drought/Drizzle)
I think that now they have badass forms and are the gods of the weather, they'll reinforce that by giving them better sun/rain, especially since Drought/Drizzle are on a few regular Pokemon.
(although I can't help but have a sinking feeling that they'll just have perma weather abilities, when they could have something creative instead)

also, one thing that's definitely worth noting about Primal K/G:
On their page on the ORAS site, it says something along the lines of 'it appears that [Primal Groudon's] ability might get boosted'. This seems like a direct confirmation, no?
It also mentions to look forward to more details about Primal K's ability.

(unless they're just pulling a Zorua-evolution-method on us again)

Well sure, the mascots might be getting new abilities. I'm not saying they cannot add new ones for connectivity or consistency or anything, of course they could. They're adding megas mid-gen already anyway. But they don't seem to want to use new abilities for Megas. They invented Pixilate and Aerialite, and they already used them both a second time, you'd think any other type would have been at least as likely to show up on new megas. It wasn't just about these specific kind of abilities either, as the other megas all got known abilities, even quite mediocre ones..

in other words
-not a single new ability on a mega
-but already repeat both type-enchancing abilities we've seen already
=odd

I think that the reason they're not adding new abilities mid gen is most likely to do with the Pokemon (or Megas) already released in said gen.
Like Sceptile should definitely have a Dragon -ate, but then I can see fans get a hissy about Ampharos being denied this ability because it was already released and they cba to retcon it.
I think that the only way that they could successfully add an -ate ability with the above logic would be if it was for a type that none of the X/Y Megas had slapped on them. (so no Dark, Fighting or Dragon variations...)

edit: after ages I found whats probably the simplest explanation... they simply don't want to introduce new abilities for regular Pokemon. (or their Megas)

I had a weird dream where new megas were announced on here, Mega Slowbro had a new form and there was a Mega Mr. Mime.

@His Goominess: Sceptile learns Dragon Pulse through move tutor (Gen V) or TM (in Gen 4)... Which is the best Special Dragon-type move it will learn anyway since Megas that turn into Dragon-types can't learn Draco Meteor (They need to change that btw)...

RE: New (Mega) Pokémon in Omega Ruby and Alpha SapphiYour Hopes and Expectations

Metalizard said:
@His Goominess: Sceptile learns Dragon Pulse through move tutor (Gen V) or TM (in Gen 4)... Which is the best Special Dragon-type move it will learn anyway since Megas that turn into Dragon-types can't learn Draco Meteor (They need to change that btw)...

You are correct, but I was referring to the 6th gen pre-Bank. (and I'm not sure how many people would trade over a Dragon Pulse Treecko for ORAS just to have a DP Treecko, and I'd be surprised if younger players did something like that at all)

I'm almost definitely certain that Sceptile will get Dragon Pulse as a level up move... but Draco Meteor would be perfect for it (and Ampharos) as a high powered Dragon move... although it does create the issue of non-Dragons getting it. (which kinda ties in with stuff like Skrelp, Swablu and Horsea not getting them despite evolving into Dragons)

Although, the obvious way to solve this would be for any Pokemon related to a Dragon type (whether through evolution, Mega Evolution or forme change) to get the move.

I know that this has been said by many, but Mega Rapidash (Fire/Flying) with aerilate would be the most perfect thing ever!

I like idea of a Mega Mr. Mime, or even an evolution. I remember there were rumors going around that he would have one in gen 5 called master mime. Although the name might be a bit much (I still think it's cool) it would be awesome if he got some kind of power boost.

Also a mega Rapidash in the way described would be freaking awesome, I can imagine its wings, too cool.

They gave me my favourites, Mega Banette and Mega Absol in X/Y, now I'm hoping for Mega Flygon, Mega Girafarig and Mega Skarmory.
Also Mega Zangoose, Mega Seviper and Mega Carnivine would be pretty cool ^^

Im still wondering what they could do with the primal reversion on Rayquaza..

From both story and abilities.

I can imagine Kyogre and Groudons abilities being improvef in a number of ways.. But Rayquazas simply neutralizes any weather. And it probably wouldn't get a reversing weather ability (if it rains, it changes to sunny)..

And then it has no place in the story. The mascot is taken care of by you just fine.
But just putting Rayquaza including a new reversion out of nowhere into the postgame would be weird.
Assuming the mega stone equivalents are the red/blue orbs, theres also the absence of a green one.

oh, btw, note how in the latest trailer the mascots take their primal formes before entering the battle, which implies they are not another variation of mega-evolution, but more a regular forme.

Damn, again I'm entertaining the idea of a delta Emerald as a third version remake sequel hybrid, with a third team.. lead by a grown-up Wally MUAHAHAHAnvm

Mitja said:
Im still wondering what they could do with the primal reversion on Rayquaza..

From both story and abilities.

I can imagine Kyogre and Groudons abilities being improvef in a number of ways.. But Rayquazas simply neutralizes any weather. And it probably wouldn't get a reversing weather ability (if it rains, it changes to sunny)..

And then it has no place in the story. The mascot is taken care of by you just fine.
But just putting Rayquaza including a new reversion out of nowhere into the postgame would be weird.
Assuming the mega stone equivalents are the red/blue orbs, theres also the absence of a green one.

oh, btw, note how in the latest trailer the mascots take their primal formes before entering the battle, which implies they are not another variation of mega-evolution, but more a regular forme.

Damn, again I'm entertaining the idea of a delta Emerald as a third version remake sequel hybrid, with a third team.. lead by a grown-up Wally MUAHAHAHAnvm

I think we've seen the Primal Reversions take place in battle... I can see their reversions take place out of battle for the epic showdown as a one off.... hopefully that won't be the case xD

I think that should we get a Primal Rayquaza, its ability should be to clear the weather and (whilst its in battle) actively prevent any weathers being set up.

Although that kind of ability would be a perfect set up for a potential Delta Emerald... I'm really starting to entertain the notion of a DE like you said (sequel/remake hybrid).

Mitja said:

Someone doesn't remember HGSS that well.

Bolt the Cat said:
Mitja said:

I think Mitja was referring to the original R/S (when the Jade Orb didn't exist).

His Goominess said:
Bolt the Cat said:

I think Mitja was referring to the original R/S (when the Jade Orb didn't exist).

So just add in it. I don't see what the problem is.

@Mitja: I think that scene of Kyogre/Groudon transforming before battle is more like what His Goominess said, a one-off... The animation of the transformation is pretty much the same as the one for Mega Evolving, it just shows a different color to reflect Kyogre/Groudon special treatment...

As for Rayquaza, that is also consuming my mind... Maybe Delta Emerald is nothing concrete but still, I think it would make so much sense for them to actually make that game... Rayquaza has no place in RS plot and having a Primal form for it with no backstory is just meh... Unless they add some side-quest in the post-game involving Rayquaza...

In regards to its ability, a way to boost it was to make the effect permanent like the original Drizzle and Drought (which I assume is the boost Primal Kyogre and Groudon abilities get) instead of only being in effect while Rayquaza is in play...

CMP said:
Teal said:
The thing is that you say that the overlooked branches got megas, while the opposite is true. Uh?
Competitive players non withstanding, I don't know anyone who prefers Slowbro to Slowking...to the target audience (10 year old children), newer is very often better, leaving the standard evolutions very much forgotten.

Is that a local thing? I don't know anyone that prefers Slowking to Slowbro. And probably only seen 3 or so people online that do.

Bolt the Cat said:
Mitja said:

I do.
I just don't think the Jade Orb is considered part of the Hoenn canon. Heck, I'm not gonna be surprised if they actually call it the Green Orb if they do add it.

Mitja said:
Bolt the Cat said:

I do.
I just don't think the Jade Orb is considered part of the Hoenn canon. Heck, I'm not gonna be surprised if they actually call it the Green Orb if they do add it.

The nice thing about remakes is that they can retcon the canon. It's incredibly simple for them to add it in. I think what they might end up doing is having the Jade Orb hidden in a secret compartment or something on top of Mt. Pyre, and then when you come back post game, Phoebe's grandparents will tell you about Rayquaza and then either give you the Jade Orb or have it be stolen by Magma/Aqua depending on how the story is written.

Still waiting for Mega Milotic, although I knew Mega Sharpedo and Camerupt were coming. Mega Gallade was a nice surprise, but I'm still waiting for a Mega Milotic.

Galaxy Hunter said:
Still waiting for Mega Milotic, although I knew Mega Sharpedo and Camerupt were coming. Mega Gallade was a nice surprise, but I'm still waiting for a Mega Milotic.

Mega Gallade is hardly a surprise when you consider how boring it would be if Wally used the exact same Mega as Diantha.

Bolt the Cat said:
Galaxy Hunter said:

Mega Gallade is hardly a surprise when you consider how boring it would be if Wally used the exact same Mega as Diantha.

And it's nice that he gets Mega Gallade, which also confirms a much-expanded Hoenn Pokédex this time around.

Back