News New Legendary Battle Decks in September!

You may hate this product, but I love this product.

because it is a preconstructed deck

What would you rather have released alongside each set?

2 theme decks as we have it right now,

or

One of whatever the legendary battle decks are going to be? Provided, of course, that all the cards are standard legal, and the Pokemon, the EX, and after Sun and Moon, GX, card comes from the set the deck represents.

The GX card should be selected, or made, so that it isn't something where everyone would want to buy up all the decks just because the card is too good, and not something where it is too boring and nobody would want it use it. The GX card should appeal to newer players, as this would be replacing theme decks.

MSRP must remain under $15.

Granted except as far as this product goes:
1) We don't know how many of these cards will be standard legal, but we know of three that aren't.
2) We don't know that these cards come with appropriate support, but if it does to an extent it contradicts #1.
3) It's a huge balance to make an EX/GX/Lv.X/whatever is popular at the time playable without being too good. This is why we never got a Shaymin EX tin.
4) Has anyone seen the price on these things? I'd be surprised if they weren't 20 dollars or more. I can't think of any Pokémon product aside from one pack blisters in recent memory that have been less than 10.

I can understand liking what the product could represent and in fact I can agree with that but this product itself has a real potential to be bad, not so much to be good.

Granted except as far as this product goes:
1) We don't know how many of these cards will be standard legal, but we know of three that aren't.
2) We don't know that these cards come with appropriate support, but if it does to an extent it contradicts #1.
3) It's a huge balance to make an EX/GX/Lv.X/whatever is popular at the time playable without being too good. This is why we never got a Shaymin EX tin.
4) Has anyone seen the price on these things? I'd be surprised if they weren't 20 dollars or more. I can't think of any Pokémon product aside from one pack blisters in recent memory that have been less than 10.

I can understand liking what the product could represent and in fact I can agree with that but this product itself has a real potential to be bad, not so much to be good.

What I suggested the 2 theme decks would be replaced by would by default, have only pokemon from one set, which is the set that the deck is released with, just like theme decks, and therefore, like theme decks, all cards are standard legal. The cover card of the set associated deck (note that it is one deck, not 2 decks), should be a card that shows off the gameplay mechanic of that set, like ex, Lvl X, Prime or may Legend, EX, Mega evolution, Break, GX etc. Japan already does this.

The GX card would be exclusive to the deck, and would be weaker than any GX card you would pull out of a booster pack. The point is the card is to allow any new player to experience the GX mechanic, without having to spend more than $15, on a single GX card and a theme deck just to experience the mechanic.

Incorrect, all of the battle decks we've had since Xerneas vs Yveltal have been expanded product. Granted with like four that's still a small amount.
Battle Arena decks are one product. This is the second product.

Even if we were counting them individually, Mewtwo vs. Darkrai and Keldeo vs. Rayquaza are only two separate products. You can't buy just a Keldeo deck or just a Rayquaza deck, you have to buy both, they're the same product.

I think we can all agree part of the reasons we're not super happy with these products is the excessive amount of them at the end of this year. It would have been nice to say spread these out earlier in the year. They do really seem to be 'Right the Hype Train into the Ground' with the amount we're getting now.

Plasma Articuno I have a little bit of interest in as auto paralyze is a cheeky gimmick to have and I only have one copy. The other two are pretty sad for EXs though.

Battle Arena decks are one product. This is the second product.

Even if we were counting them individually, Mewtwo vs. Darkrai and Keldeo vs. Rayquaza are only two separate products. You can't buy just a Keldeo deck or just a Rayquaza deck, you have to buy both, they're the same product.

I am counting the battle decks individually in terms of release since they didn't release at the same time, unlike these decks. So there would be three such product releases in total.; Mewtwo vs. Darkrai, Keldeo vs. Rayquaza and these decks. That's only three, not four, you are quite correct. If I was counting them individually (which I wasn't) then it would be seven but as you said you can't traditionally by them indvidually.

Of course those details are beside the point because either way it's still a small number of expanded products for what that is worth.

I don't think anybody should be too quick to judge until we know what trainers are in them.
This is literally why I came into this article; I gather there's been no news as to what the deck lists actually are then? I'm not gonna pre-order until I know exactly what I'm getting.

I think we can all agree part of the reasons we're not super happy with these products is the excessive amount of them at the end of this year. It would have been nice to say spread these out earlier in the year. They do really seem to be 'Right the Hype Train into the Ground' with the amount we're getting now.

Plasma Articuno I have a little bit of interest in as auto paralyze is a cheeky gimmick to have and I only have one copy. The other two are pretty sad for EXs though.
I know I'm not amused with how much they're releasing right now! I normally don't struggle to keep up with releases ('cause I do feel the need to buy pretty much everything with packs/promo cards in them), but we've had Battle Arena decks, the tins and Keldeo box all come pretty much at the same time, then these, then there's those EX boxes (Charizard, Kangaskhan etc.), then a set release, and there's a Collector's Chest around Evolutions release... AND Mega Garchomp and Mega Salamence Collections not long after that... They do seem to be spoiling us, which is nice, but annoying at the same time.

I know I'm not amused with how much they're releasing right now! I normally don't struggle to keep up with releases ('cause I do feel the need to buy pretty much everything with packs/promo cards in them), but we've had Battle Arena decks, the tins and Keldeo box all come pretty much at the same time, then these, then there's those EX boxes (Charizard, Kangaskhan etc.), then a set release, and there's a Collector's Chest around Evolutions release... AND Mega Garchomp and Mega Salamence Collections not long after that... They do seem to be spoiling us, which is nice, but annoying at the same time.

You forgot the Mega Gyarados box that seems to making its way around. Let's not forget the usual three pack/one pack blisters associated with Evolutions. And the Snorlax GX box. And the Sun/Moon boxes coming in too. Also we still have Meloetta and Genesect Mythical collection boxes. And the Super Premium collection.

Yeah, I'm just confirming your point lolz.

@chella182 Honestly I'd hold off on preordering these right now besides the three cards we honestly have no idea what's in them. I can think of cards I'd want in the Articuno and Moltres for Pokemon but Zapdos I"m lost mostly.

All of them better have Plasma Staples that are important for even Not Plasma Decks such as Colress, Hypnotoxic Laser and Ghetsis. Alongside some Plasma important Trainers like Colress Machine, Team Plasma Ball and Shadow Triad. Also each Four Plasma Energy because our EXes need it for their main attacks.

You forgot the Mega Gyarados box that seems to making its way around. Let's not forget the usual three pack/one pack blisters associated with Evolutions. And the Snorlax GX box. And the Sun/Moon boxes coming in too. Also we still have Meloetta and Genesect Mythical collection boxes. And the Super Premium collection.

Yeah, I'm just confirming your point lolz.

Haven't heard of the Mega Gyarados box? It's not on any UK sites for pre order yet anyway. I didn't mention the Evolutions blister packs 'cause I just count them in with the set release. Forgot about the Snorlax one, although that's a little more into the future. And yeah, I pre ordered the Mythical Collection boxes months ago so I forgot about those too :p

@chella182 Honestly I'd hold off on preordering these right now besides the three cards we honestly have no idea what's in them. I can think of cards I'd want in the Articuno and Moltres for Pokemon but Zapdos I"m lost mostly.

All of them better have Plasma Staples that are important for even Not Plasma Decks such as Colress, Hypnotoxic Laser and Ghetsis. Alongside some Plasma important Trainers like Colress Machine, Team Plasma Ball and Shadow Triad. Also each Four Plasma Energy because our EXes need it for their main attacks.
Yeah I haven't pre-ordered them until I see exactly what's inside. If there are no good cards (like the ones you mentioned, like the Battle Arena decks but for Plasma-era) / no numbered promos then I'll just leave them. Apparently they were released today? So I'll Google about a bit and see if I can find a deck list or something.

Haven't heard of the Mega Gyarados box? It's not on any UK sites for pre order yet anyway. I didn't mention the Evolutions blister packs 'cause I just count them in with the set release. Forgot about the Snorlax one, although that's a little more into the future. And yeah, I pre ordered the Mythical Collection boxes months ago so I forgot about those too :p.

It has an alternate foil pattern of the Ancient Trait Gyarados, four packs and a figure of a regular Mega Gyarados in it. Nothing spectacular but still a product. Troll and Toad has it listed here and I bet it will be in stores soon if not already around http://www.trollandtoad.com/p1102819.html

I wouldn't count the blister packs as part of the set release because in my experience they are not usually released at the same time as the sets, usually they are released weeks later.

However we both forgot to mention the M. Beedrill product and the M. Venusaur/M. Blastoise pin product.

@Pikachu6319 Ah that explains it - we don't get anything with figures in in Europe for some reason. We usually get jumbo cards instead *rolls eyes* usually not worth while importing them either because T&T charge a fortune to post here (I've checked before). Annoying if there's a Black Star Promo in it though, I'm missing a Latios one as well that was never released in Europe. Maybe we will get a version of this Gyarados one though. But I digress.

The blister packs always arrive at the same time here, I pre-order everyone together (booster boxes, Elite Trainer boxes, 1- and 3-pack blisters) and they always arrive together unless there's been a delay on one of the products.

And ah yes! I actually have the Mega Beedrill one as well haha! And I, again, forgot about Venusaur and Blastoise pin products. Might forego the pin blisters though - I don't care about the pins, there's no promo in it, and they're expensive for just 3 packs.

@chella182 That isn't to say you won't end up with something like the Gyarados thing. I happen to wish I could get the jumbo cards FTW, though I like the figures and the pins too. I live in the US so T&T is no big deal for me though I usually order singles. If/when I get the Gyarados box it will be when I see it at Walmart.

As I say as a whole it takes a couple of weeks after set release to get the blisters. Not the ETB's though, we'll get those about the same time as the set.

Don't have M. Beedrill yet, not out as far as I've seen. I do get it though, right now I see no reason to buy these legendary battle decks. They have no new cards and I hated the plasma stuff anyway.

@Pikachu6319 Maybe I should sell my jumbo cards to people in America then? Haha.

Anyway back on topic, it seems like these products are pretty decent actually. Same idea as the Battle Arena decks, but more focused on the Plasma era. You get 1 VS Seeker in each deck, 2 Hypnotoxic Lasers and 1 Virbank in the Zapdos one, 2 Muscle Bands in another, 8 foil energy cards in each, some Colress, Ghetsis and stuff... so yeah. Worth picking up methinks.

Here's a link to the YouTube video I found where someone's going through the decks:

@chella182 Feel free to sell me some of those EU exclusive jumbos then lol.

I suppose they're decent enough and I do like the deck boxes but ultimately I think I'll be skipping out on these.

Right now I would say a pet peeve I'm having with these right now is that the Articuno Deck is a Mono Color Deck while the other two are not. Another is they should have gone for ChillMAX Vanilluxe for the Stage 2 Line. Most likely has Sesmitoad for Bench Hitting. Lack of Eggs make me sad as well that is a staple fodder Pokemon for Plasma Flareon.

I am glad that each Deck has one copy of Ghetsis though considering he's the only Supporter in Expanded that is a Rare card. Especially since that's the format he began to shine in. Not bad but I wished these weren't so close to the Battle Arena Decks for release.

Foils of every basic energy?

...thats worth the twenty right there, let alone the ho-ohs.

Back