News New Legendary Battle Decks in September!

RiverShock

Aspiring Trainer
after reading all these comments, one thing comes to my mind, and that is that it seems alot you people forget expanded is still a thing, in which case these cards are still useful. I for one think its a decent product to help get new players into the expanded side of things.

Yeah... Not everyone plays, or has any reason to play, Expanded. I also don't have a problem with there being Expanded products. It's these products in particular, as well as their timing so soon after the Battle Arena Decks. It doesn't help that none of the three cover cards were even cards worth using in the first place. (Articuno's OK, but the other two were basically Theme Deck cards in Japan, which shows how good they are.)

Also, Expanded is really not a format that new players need to concern themselves about. It's basically only used at high-level events, and even then, not always. They're much better off becoming familiar with the more widespread Standard format before delving into Expanded.

Pikachu6319

Scooby
after reading all these comments, one thing comes to my mind, and that is that it seems alot you people forget expanded is still a thing, in which case these cards are still useful. I for one think its a decent product to help get new players into the expanded side of things.

I am aware expanded exists and I have no problem with it. You want to get into the expanded side of thing, look to the battle arena decks. The last one (Mewtwo vs. Darkrai) was nice, I haven't seen Keldeo vs. Rayquaza yet. On the other hand, if you're a long term player you probably have enough cards already to make better expanded decks then what these would provide. I for one can play my rain dance deck or fire dance deck in expanded and wouldn't need any of these.

Keep in mind that we don't know the full deck list yet. There is no proof that these are decent products to help get new players into expanded. Again the VS decks might still be better. Granted there is no proof saying they won't be either. I still don't feel as if Plasma based was the way to go regardless.

What I have a problem with is wasting the time to make a product that could be really neat and then turning around and making it full of cards that most people already have. Here we had a great opportunity make brand new versions of Articuno, Zapdos and Moltres regardless of regular or EX. Here we had the chance to give players Vaporen EX, Flareon EX and the ever popular Jolteon EX or at least non-plasma based versions of the Eeveelutions and instead that's what they gave us.

I for one hate the Plasma stuff and prefer new cards over reprints, whether they be with new art or the exact same art. With all of the new stuff we've had for the celebration of Pokémon, this is just a disgrace IMO. Maybe in the spirit of Evolutions they should have turned around and reprinted/redesigned the EX's from FRLG or the tin promos of that time.

HA559

Aspiring Trainer
It's just too lazy to say these are for 20th anniversary everything from blisters, tins and xy Evolutions except for a some few cards.

ellisftw

Professor of Something
I can agree with much of the rest of you about the latest batch of "New" boxes. I ran out snatched up the Battle Arena decks only to realize that my interest in building strong and inventive Standard decks only gained a few needed trainers. Also, it gave me a handful of holo Energy cards which I now must have all of my Energy cards as holos because...reasons.

Even loving my Darkai-EX build online, going back and hunting down the Darkrai Battle Arena decks is just wasting money when I'd be better off just order 10/20 holo Energy cards from eBay.

But crack is crack, amirite? I'll probably end up buying these just to bulk up my Expanded card stash for hopeful trading at events or at least unload them to the vendors at the Regionals coming up.

bktan

Aspiring Trainer
I don't have a problem with nostalgia and throwbacks but these products are rip offs. Reprints of fugly cards abound. Disgusting. No effort put into any of these sets. Such a damn shame. Instead of celebrating the fans, they make trash like this. Those are some of the worst cards printed for the birds in terms of artwork. The Eeveelutions are equally bad.

Starsoulklr

'Rolling around at the speed of sound'
Oh no! I haven't forgotten. But I HATE expanded. Seriously hate it. Every year it is time for new strategies, new decks, challenging your creativity, giving new Pokemon a real chance to shine. And expanded is ruining that! It shut the door for that hint of fresh air. Expanded should only be used in non competitive play.

I like that they're having multiple formats for the TCG that have competitive play. Sure yes Standard keeps changing and evolving but when cards rotate out they end up just sitting to the side not doing anything. With Expanded you can still use older cards without having to play with everything in Unlimited which there can be the most absurd things happening. There's also several cards that get to shine from new cards printed or that were good cards but got overlooked at their time in Standard. Expanded isn't as stagnate of a format as you think it can change with new sets releasing.

The Battle Arena Decks give many players access to both good Standard and Expanded cards for a fair price on top of reprinting cards while avoiding them reentering Standard. If these are around 15-18 dollar range with having a good selection of Standard and Expanded cards to help players into the game great.

Could I be eating my words of hope once we see what's in the products themselves? Perhaps.

signofzeta

Aspiring Trainer
The worst thing for new players who want to experience the gimmick cards, like Lvl X, EX, GX, or whatnot, they, have to buy many packs in hope of pulling an EX, or buy a box set or tin. In these cases, they'd probably pay over $20, but then they have this EX card, but no premade deck they could use it in. The second option is theme decks. They cost less than $15, but they don't get to experience the Lvl X, EX, or GX cards. The third thing is the battle arena decks, and whatever this is. There was also the ex epic collection released 9 years ago.

This is what should happen. One of these decks should be released alongside each expansion set. 4 sets per year would mean 4 decks per year. The contents within should only contain pokemon from that expansion set. The EX card, GX card now, considering we are at Sun and Moon, will be a black star promo or an extra number card, for example 101/100 that is specifically geared towards new players, and isn't overpowered. If not that, find the weakest GX card in the set and that will be the deck exclusive card. The decks will always contain 2 energy types. Price will remain the same as the theme deck, despite there being a GX card in it.

As a result of this, theme decks would be discontinued.

To summarize, replace 2 theme decks per set with 1 deck that contains the gimmick card, in Sun and Moon's case, GX cards, as the front face cards. It will still have 5 cards. 1 GX card, 1 holo rare, 1 non-holo version of the same holo rare, 2 other non-holo rares. The rares would always be 1 GX, 1 stage 2, 1 stage 1 and 1 basic. The one lone holo rare is the second copy of any of the stage 2, stage 1, or basic, depending on the deck.

crystal_pidgeot

Bird Trainer *Vaporeon on PokeGym*
OH MY GOD! ARE YOU KIDDING ME!? Who though this was a good idea. I was really looking forward to a new EX card of the Legendary Birds and all we get are the Plasma reprints! I just knew they would do this and this seems like it was ONLY done to sell to the Pokemon Go crowd. I was looking forward to putting the new EX bird Pokemon in my deck but nope.

I also HATE the expanded format. Its the worst thing about this game next to the balance this game has. They had the chance to do something great here but they blew up. The last playable Articuno, Zapdos and Moltres were from Fire Red Leaf Green. Im still waiting for those to get a reprint.

Ami Dark

Professor/Leader of the Destiny Tower League
Well, if I need something to use to cut myself, least there will be some worthless plasma cards. Paper cuts hurt so long. Pfft, but really....WHY!? Like, Pokemon DOES realize they are in this to make money right? Reprinting cards that are likely to be only for expanded(and not very good at all) is a joke to those who actually know how to run a business. I WANTED NEW BIRDS ARCEUS-DAMMIT!

Don Pianta

Old man
You guys are so negative, this is only the second Expanded focused product ever released, and you're all acting like it's the end of the world because these cards aren't legal in Standard.

Yeezus christ.

philkangsanity

Literally Newswatcher
Ok, this is already pretty bad. I was hoping for new EX cards for the legendary Kanto birds, but this is just being lazy. REALLY?! The Team Plasma promos?!

LiftoffLizard

Hoenn Nerd
Well evertime that pokemon releases decks like this for EX: Rayquaza keldeo battle decks. It always comes with lots of staples that end up adding up to more than you paid for so that is always a good sign.

Pikachu6319

Scooby
You guys are so negative, this is only the second Expanded focused product ever released, and you're all acting like it's the end of the world because these cards aren't legal in Standard.

Yeezus christ.

Incorrect, all of the battle decks we've had since Xerneas vs Yveltal have been expanded product. Granted with like four that's still a small amount.

I don't care about format, I barely play compared to some. What I dislike is that I hoped/wanted/expected all new legendary birds and we got some of the worse versions instead. Maybe that was my fault for expecting something new though.

RiverShock

Aspiring Trainer

Yeezus christ.

Timing is a thing. Releasing these immediately after the Battle Arena decks is dumb. Expanded products are a niche. There doesn't need to be a ton of them at once, and they will sell less because of that.

Also, I fully expect these decks not to contain much that anyone in Expanded would actually use. I guess Colress Machine would be a decent reprint... But that's about it. Most of the more problematic cards are Pokemon-EX that won't be here because there's two copies of a bad EX instead. They really couldn't have included like Thundurus in the Zapdos deck, Deoxys in Articuno and Lugia in Moltres? I can't imagine printing a more sought-after card would cost more, or hurt them at all economically, unless they plan to release a Plasma Battle Arena Deck. But even then, it can't include all of the above cards, and these decks will probably be out of print by then anyway.

signofzeta

Aspiring Trainer
You may hate this product, but I love this product.

because it is a preconstructed deck

What would you rather have released alongside each set?

2 theme decks as we have it right now,

or

One of whatever the legendary battle decks are going to be? Provided, of course, that all the cards are standard legal, and the Pokemon, the EX, and after Sun and Moon, GX, card comes from the set the deck represents.

The GX card should be selected, or made, so that it isn't something where everyone would want to buy up all the decks just because the card is too good, and not something where it is too boring and nobody would want it use it. The GX card should appeal to newer players, as this would be replacing theme decks.

MSRP must remain under $15.

Last edited: